• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal wildfires still not contained, evacuations ordered - Santa Rosa/Sonoma/Napa

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised they aren't more wildfire divisions for water planes/helicopters etc. I know CA actually contracts companies from Canada, but it's never enough.

Another one threatening homes in Anaheim hills. The canyon fire 2 it's being called. The original was a few weeks ago and got to backyards but all house were saved thanks to winds dying down and firefighters.

My family is at anaheim hills packing/evacuating (I'm at school far away) and I'm trying to get a live feed. Does anyone have a link doesn't need flash? I deeply appreciate it.

Joe

In term of destroyed structures, this fire is already a "top 5" in California

https://twitter.com/SteveBowenWx/status/917450016444252160
Firefighters claiming at least 1,500 structures destroyed in California's wine country. Already facing a Top 5 wildfire event in the state.

DLtvgOhX4AEUCob.jpg

My family is safe but they don't know if they have a home anymore. And they were months away from selling it and moving across the country. I'm finding it real hard to get any updates past facebook posts.

Instro

Another one threatening homes in Anaheim hills. The canyon fire 2 it's being called. The original was a few weeks ago and got to backwards but all house were saved thanks to winds dying down and firefighters.

Yeah they've already shut down the 241, and the 91 may follow. It's burning right up to the freeways right now. My fiance just drove through it, sounded really bad. I guess a deer ran on the freeway while she was stuck in traffic in that area too. Not good conditions for this at all, stay safe out there folks.

Yeah they've already shut down the 241, and the 91 may follow. It's burning right up to the freeways right now. My fiance just drove through it, sounded really bad. I guess a deer ran on the freeway while she was stuck in traffic in that area too. Not good conditions for this at all, stay safe out there folks.

Should people just leave right now? Family is still packing and I'm leaning to just call one of their cell and just say head out right now.

Edit: They've left. Hope fire does dies down.

Wow massive typo earlier.

Instro

Should people just leave right now? Family is still packing and I'm leaning to just call one of their cell and just say head out right now.
Maybe, I'm not sure. I know they are already evacuating areas nearby, but I've mostly been focusing on the freeway because my fiance was driving through east on the 91. It's apparently moving very fast, so the sooner the better if they are close.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I know they are already evacuating areas nearby, but I've mostly been focusing on the freeway because my fiance was driving through east on the 91. It's apparently moving very fast, so the sooner the better if they are close.

Okay cool! They've left and decided to go Orange and are taking local.

Damaniel

Banned
We were sending a test engineer down to Santa Rosa this morning to get a product certified, but the flight got cancelled (for obvious reasons). Having seen the actual pictures, I'm hoping the guy who owns the test lab (and runs it out of his house) is OK and safely evacuated. The pictures are crazy!

My family is safe but they don't know if they have a home anymore. And they were months away from selling it and moving across the country. I'm finding it real hard to get any updates past facebook posts.

That was my sisters home a few weeks ago with the canyon fire. She had a couple of those nights not knowing if her house was gonna be there or not. She was lucky. I hope your family will be as well. It's an awful feeling to be sure.

In term of destroyed structures, this fire is already a "top 5" in California

Absolutely heartbreaking.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Apocalyptic. So many families suffering.

Its really hard to process. I don't think anything like this has really happened here before. There were some fires in 64 you hear about and earthquakes etc, and el nino in the 90s, and I think a tornado ruined a trailer in like 2009. But this is a new level of disaster for the city. I hear Kenwood is real bad too. Pretty spooky situation. It feels like its all around us and I guess it is.

Watching the news conference and their estimate is that 20k have been evacuated already I think he just said.

kaiju

They're estimating at least 500 homes have burnt to the ground in just the Coffey Park area alone.

Worst fire in Sonoma County history. :(

N4Us

From petaluma but grabbed my stuff anyway and bolted to family in Novato just in case.

Sisters work office in Santa Rosa got burned down, friends houses likely destroyed. SR mobile home park is completely gone. It's just been too crazy this morning

My step dad needed meds and went back to the house. I just got word the house is okay. It was in the Wikiup neighborhood.

I'll update when I get more info. He will have a rough idea what's still standing around there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Getting some crazy reports here. My friend just came to the door and said the Flamingo is on fire and his parents (who live in my neighborhood) are getting out. I think we're gonna stay for the time being but we are ready to speed out in a heartbeat. If the Flamingo really is on fire its still part of montecito heights so it sounds like nothings really moved too much yet. This is still from the North, I'm real anxious about the south of us.

^yeah hes in petaluma
just tuned into the murder island stream and they didnt mention it yet

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Evacuations ordered in certain areas:

According to officials, the fire has burned 25 acres and multiple fire task forces are battling it. Television footage showed several homes on fire early Monday afternoon.

Evacuations were ordered south of the 91 Freeway, west of the 241 Toll Road, north of Nohl Ranch Road and east of Serrano Avenue. The eastbound 91 Freeway was closed, with small spot fires reported along the roadway.

Late Monday morning, Wyatt said the fire had jumped the 241 Toll Road and was threatening approximately 1,000 homes. An evacuation order has been issued for all homes east of the intersection of Weir Canyon Road and Serrano Avenue, Wyatt said.

”You need to be prepared to evacuate and now is the time to do so," Wyatt said in a video posted to the Anaheim Fire Department's Facebook page. ”Take everything that you can that will sustain you for the next couple of days."

Several elementary schools in the area were evacuated as well, with students moved to Canyon High School. Several regional parks have also been closed and strong winds were pushing smoke into Orange and Santa Ana areas.

The fire comes just weeks after another blaze forced the evacuation of at least 1,500 homes in the Corona area.

Keri

I live near the Canyon Fire. We've packed up important things, in case we need to evacuate. Right now we are safe and live near the CURRENT evacuation center, but just in case...

Okay, just got off the phone. The house is safe. Apparently Wikiup is fine and the fire has moved past. Sounds like the Larkfield Market area got hit though.

KillerAJD

Okay, just got off the phone. The house is safe. Apparently Wikiup is fine and the fire has moved past. Sounds like the Larkfield Market area got hit though.

Oh man :( I hope everybody was able to get to safety in that area. My family's favorite burger joint, Bun's and Burgers, is in the Larkfield shopping center. Seeing some of the photos of the LBC being partially burned makes me think a lot of the area there was in trouble.

Oh man :( I hope everybody was able to get to safety in that area. My family's favorite burger joint, Bun's and Burgers, is in the Larkfield shopping center. Seeing some of the photos of the LBC being partially burned makes me think a lot of the area there was in trouble.

Reports are mixed because of the chaos. But it sounded like the Cricklewood is gone, and that was right next to it.

:(

kaiju

Getting some crazy reports here. My friend just came to the door and said the Flamingo is on fire and his parents (who live in my neighborhood) are getting out. I think we're gonna stay for the time being but we are ready to speed out in a heartbeat. If the Flamingo really is on fire its still part of montecito heights so it sounds like nothings really moved too much yet. This is still from the North, I'm real anxious about the south of us.

^yeah hes in petaluma
just tuned into the murder island stream and they didnt mention it yet

Nooo not the Flamingo! That place is historic in my eyes. I hope it's not true.

This is insane how bad it has gotten so fast. Hope everyone's family and friends makes out ok. The pictures and videos are insane. Gonna talk to my friend who lives in SF and see what's he's got to say

KillerAJD

If anybody on the South side of Santa Rosa is looking for someplace that is open for groceries/food, the Wal-Mart Market in Rohnert Park on Country Club/Golf Course is currently open as of 15 minutes ago. The shelves aren't quite bare yet, but the sooner you go the better if you desperately need some amount of food items for the next day or two. Don't know the situation at other stores around Rohnert Park and Petaluma, but I assume most stuff is closed in Santa Rosa right now.

KillerAJD

Petaluma here. We've got our bags packed, but nothing I've heard so far makes me think we'll actually need to leave. Hoping that stays the case, anyway.

Things can always change, but yeah, I don't think Petaluma is in any danger, for the near future at least. I've now heard from a few people in G and H sections of Rohnert Park that the fires along Petaluma Hill road are coming under control, and if that's the case, I would expect it not to go any further South. Still possible for stuff to spill over from the Raceway I suppose, but I've not heard anything about that being a possibility. Absolutely always better safe than sorry in regards to being prepared though.

My in-laws were evacuated in Anaheim Hills an hour ago. My parents are near by and preparing as well. Neither are really in any kind of range of the fire due to location but the fires are burning towards the city nonetheless. I'm heading to both houses now to prep some things and help pack up.

I lost my house (everything) in 2008 fires in Yorba Linda. Back then our family took us in, and this time I'm having my in-laws shack up with us at our house for at least tonight until it gets under control. I know so many people living in AH, everyone is getting evacuated pretty much.

Keri

The evacuations for the Canyon Fire are getting closer to where I am, but still safe. I was suppose to be working from home today, but it is not looking like any work will be happening today. I'm going to keep watching the news.

The evacuations for the Canyon Fire are getting closer to where I am, but still safe. I was suppose to be working from home today, but it is not looking like any work will be happening today. I'm going to keep watching the news.

I did this in 2008, and within less than 30 minutes the fires blew down hill (in Yorba Linda) and burned our entire place down. I got out with a hamper of clothes and my important paperwork. Everything else, gone forever. My recommendation to you is to do not sleep on this or take it for granted at all. Pack up all your important things now and get it in your car. Matter of fact, start making plans in case you need to get out of town.

Traffic will be insane once everyone either has to leave or in the next few hours as people leave work early to get home to check in. Schools by Serrano were being evacuated to Canyon HS but thats next door to my In-laws and there were police driving through neighborhoods on loud speakers telling people to start packing etc.. The entire AH area is going to decent into an apocalyptic setting soon, as far as traffic and commercial activity goes.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If anybody on the South side of Santa Rosa is looking for someplace that is open for groceries/food, the Wal-Mart Market in Rohnert Park on Country Club/Golf Course is currently open as of 15 minutes ago. The shelves aren't quite bare yet, but the sooner you go the better if you desperately need some amount of food items for the next day or two. Don't know the situation at other stores around Rohnert Park and Petaluma, but I assume most stuff is closed in Santa Rosa right now.

Yeah, took us a bit to find a place open. But Lucky in Montegomery village is open. The other stores near me are closed, except Danos Liquors

Wow look at this heatmap!

Keri

I did this in 2008, and within less than 30 minutes the fires blew down hill (in Yorba Linda) and burned our entire place down. I got out with a hamper of clothes and my important paperwork. Everything else, gone forever. My recommendation to you is to do not sleep on this or take it for granted at all. Pack up all your important things now and get it in your car. Matter of fact, start making plans in case you need to get out of town.

Already have bags packed and in the car. We are ready to go and are glued to news coverage and the local fire department twitter. We are fortunate to have a lot of family near by in Orange County, but well away from the fire, so we have places we can go. Any advice on what else to pack? We've packed some changes of clothes, important paper work and supplies for our toddler. We have some small electronics packed. We also took pictures of everything important for insurance, just in case.

I work in SF and walking from Caltrain to Market had me coughing, with a runny nose and burning eyes.

Can't imagine how it is up in the North Bay. Stay safe North Bay GAF!!

Top Bottom