• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Banned
This thread made me remember an occasion in the One Piece OT, back then when I was an innocent lurker years ago, where a guy was spoiled of Ace's death shortly after reading/watching his introduction, it was quite hilarious.

Where art thou mystical spoiled guy? Did you enjoy Marineford and its buildup?

---

Have you ever been spoiled something major in OP?

I spoiled myself Franky and Brook joining the crew by looking for color spreads. At the beginning it was somewhat sad to meet them knowing that they were major characters as well as good guys instead of just some freaks, but in the end it didn't matter given how OP is full of enjoyable stuff happening here and there.

LotusHD

Banned

Nope. Or at least, no one has ever spoiled something for me.

I on the other hand purposely spoiled myself on stuff like them splitting up in Saobody and what not. Although that in particular was before I had actually bothered to watch/read it, so I didn't really care. If anything, it increased my interest. And when I was watching/reading it, this was long before I was a part of any group/forum that discussed OP, so I did it in peace and quiet. Regardless, One Piece has always been that type of thing where experiencing it for myself can't be ruined by getting spoiled anyhow. That's why I have no issue with reading the spoilers on here.

That being said, I obviously have my limits. Something massive like the Gear 4 reveal I wouldn't spoil for myself. Although not necessarily because I'd be mad if it was spoiled for me, but more that it would be more fun to keep it a surprise.

Veelk

Banned
I was spoiled to Ace dying, willingly.

It's actually what got me reading One Piece in the first place.

Whether that's a positive or negative is up to you.

NSESN

I got spoiled about ace death but not the WB one. I also was spoiled about the SH being separated, but I thought it was going to happen whe they reached the grand line not the new world.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder when we will be getting big mom's flashback. now that the picture got broken it might be the perfect time to show it if she was deeply involved in her past.

turmoil

Banned
wonder when we will be getting big mom's flashback. now that the picture got broken it might be the perfect time to show it if she was deeply involved in her past.

With the picture broken I also think now is the right time IMO.

Or at least just some pages of flashback as teasing for the full flashback ahead in the arc.

There is absolutely no way Jinbei is going to die now that he faced down Big Mom's life stealing power and also declared he is SH. This is just him properly joining the crew.

I think I spoiled on Robin joining the crew and Luffy's Gears due to Wikipedia. lol
But that was in 2007/8 before I had fully caught up to the manga a few months later, which was at Thriller Bark.
I've been reading weekly ever since.

And while we're on the topic of spoilers, I can't comprehend how some of you fellas can be so anxious to read spoilers.
Granted, I used to read spoilers on and off years ago but I've weaned myself from the habit because, with a series with a tight continuity as OP, the initial impact of a mind-blowing chapter is lost when you read a brief summary in plain old text.

Would someone who has been following the manga for almost decades want to have the identity of the One Piece, for example, written out behind a black bar instead of seeing it in a double-page spread along with the crew after a couple pages of buildup and hype?

I don't read the manga and watch the anime so yes. :p

Spoilers really don't bother me at all. I'll take any additional info towards things I'm excited for. I felt the same way with The Last Guardian which was my most anticipated game since the old trailer leaked.

Veelk

Banned
I get spoiled by a lot of stuff because i can't not check the tvtropes or the wikia. It never ruined anything for me and start to get numb to it.

Thank god I'm not the only one that does this.

I try to keep spoilers on and avoid certain entries, but my curiousity sometimes gets the best of me.

But yeah, it never ruined anything for me.

SaniOYOYOY

I started reading midway trough arabasta (vol.20), while most of my friends started like since volume 1, and, well.... ,there was nothing to spoil back then

He kept bugging me about how great the comic was,one day I just went into my friends place and read all 20 volume. Liked it since the first volume, by the time "luffy helps" happened i knew this thing will be a masterpiece

dan2026

But he has no cheeks

YOHOHOHOHO

6aa298ffd1263a192a2512aa371e47500008f4a8_hq.gif

Red Fire

Spoilers are the worst. I can't understand the fun behind looking up everything in advance rather than just wait 1 day or whatever and read the damn chapter

Examples of me getting spoiled:

- When i first saw the episodes with luffy ace and sabo's past the first promotional art of one piece burning blood began to make its rounds on the internet and while i was scrolling on facebook one day they just popped up with big ass sabo on a pic. So i knew he would survive

- my friend who introduced me to one piece is called Spoiler king by us. He managed to unintentionally spoil something everytime we talked about one piece. For example: hey man luffy just learned a cool technique called gear 2!! - 'oh yeah thats cool. In the recent chapters he used gear 4 for the first time... oh wait.. Damn' or 'whats the last episode you watched?' - 'theyre on water seven right now' -'OH DID LUFFY AND USOPP FIGHT ALREADY??' -'whatt??'

Fuck youuuuuuu

Edit: also i knew all of the crewmates up until chopper before i even started. Then on the first couple of arcs i got spoiled that franky and brook would join.

Also i got a detailed explanation of what haki is what it does and in which forms you can use it etc by said friend while i was on like skypiea. There are 1000 more times he spoiled me but i don't remember right now

Spoilers are the worst. I can't understand the fun behind looking up everything in advance rather than just wait 1 day or whatever and read the damn chapter

Examples of me getting spoiled:

- When i first saw the episodes with luffy ace and sabo's past the first promotional art of one piece burning blood began to make its rounds on the internet and while i was scrolling on facebook one day they just popped up with big ass sabo on a pic. So i knew he would survive

- my friend who introduced me to one piece is called Spoiler king by us. He managed to unintentionally spoil something everytime we talked about one piece. For example: hey man luffy just learned a cool technique called gear 2!! - 'oh yeah thats cool. In the recent chapters he used gear 4 for the first time... oh wait.. Damn' or 'whats the last episode you watched?' - 'theyre on water seven right now' -'OH DID LUFFY AND USOPP FIGHT ALREADY??' -'whatt??'

Fuck youuuuuuu
Lmao I got a buddy like that except he does it for video games

Puruzi

Banned
Spoilers don't matter to me. I care more about how whatever happens happens than the actual outcome. Like I was spoiled on Ace's death, but I wanted to know how it happened and when I got there even though I knew he was gonna die I still cried during the scene. Seeing scenes and the context for how things happen is way more important than just knowing something is going to happen.

I was lucky to never get spoiled because I caught up to One Piece in high school and at that time wasn't familiar with anything like reddit or forums. Plus I didn't know anyone who cared about One Piece.

V23i8lW.jpg

I've never been spoiled. I'm from the days when One Piece was niche as hell in the west and people refused to watch/read it because "those characters look too western to me". Reading the series for a long time, with it being a constant in my life has assured no one has spoiled me.

Bandini

Also on the not spoiled train. I was unemployed and reading through random mangas I downloaded from a bot on IRC when I happened upon One Piece. At that point it was translated up to around the beginning of Water 7. I remember having to wait for batches of chapters to get released... unless there was a translation group I was unaware of, chapters were not released with any regularity. Some of the scans and translations were so bad.

Remember the days when you had to go on irc to dl new volumes from Null?

I think there was a point where we didn't get stuff on w chapter to chapter basis. We had to wait for them to release a graphic novel in Japan and we'd get them in volumes. I think. I don't remember but your post lines up with my experience.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I don't think I would ever talk to this motherfucker again.

Bandini

Remember the days when you had to go on irc to dl new volumes from Null?

I think there was a point where we didn't get stuff on w chapter to chapter basis. We had to wait for them to release a graphic novel in Japan and we'd get them in volumes. I think. I don't remember but your post lines up with my experience.

Yep, that was it. Null was my jam back in the day.

Thinking back, there's a bunch of stuff I liked that wasn't complete at the time and I never ended up reading more of. Bowling King, Zatch Bell... can't remember the names of a lot of them.

I got Ace and Whitebeard's death spoiled for me. I was streaming the anime on Funimation's site, and they always show the most recent episodes. So having an episode titled "Fire-Fist Ace Dies on the Battlefield" kinda ruined it for me. It was still pretty emotional when it hit. I also saw one of the later openings (probably Share the World) so I knew Franky and Brook joined and that the crew got a new ship.

Honestly, I got spoiled left and right back when I was playing catch-up. Always saw stuff online about Water 7 and Marineford. Glad I caught up right after the timeskip though.

Getting into One Piece early meant that nothing was really spoiled for me. I've been current on the manga since the start of Water 7.

I think I was aware of Robin joining the crew before I got there (not 100% sure though, it's been like 15 years; at the very least, I know that when I got to the scene where Crocodile calls her "Nico Robin" for the first time it was a name I had heard somewhere before), but not really anything else.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I did get spoiled on Ace and Whitebeard, but it was kinda vague enough or unreliable enough that I REALLY tried to convince myself that it wasn't actually gonna happen, just to try and make myself surprised when it did.

Thank goodness I only have one day of spoiler bars to deal with these days.

I had a lot of One Piece spoiled for me, but that was mostly my own fault cause I just can't help myself browsing the wikis and such. That's why I love being up to date with stuff so I can't spoil myself lol.

only thing i got spoiled on that i didn't like was robin joining thanks to the new anime opening.
That was such a messed up thing to do on their part lol. That opening first got aired when the show was in the beginning of the Nami vs ms double finger fight. So it's not like it was only a couple episodes away from her actually joining either

Moosichu

That was such a messed up thing to do on their part lol. That opening first got aired when the show was in the beginning of the Nami vs ms double finger fight. So it's not like it was only a couple episodes away from her actually joining either
A lot of one piece episodes are named after the plot twists within them as well. Iirc.

Red Fire

I don't think I would ever talk to this motherfucker again.

HAHAHAHA
Like he is so bad at it even though he doesn't want to

One time me and my brother went to him to play some Ps4 games together. My brother is currently somewhere around alabasta so he hasnt seen anything really.

Even though my friend knows that we are sensible to spoilers and i even told him like a 100 times beforehand to avoid spoilers for my brother, we started up his ps4 and he forgot to change his background which was a big ass portrait of whitebeard. I'm like duude really? He starts to panic and tries to quickly hide the pic.... just to change to a luffy gear 4 artwork. LOOOOOOL

His pitiful face when he realizes he spoiled someone again and will get picked on by us for that for a long time is the best though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom