• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ducktales premiere date - Movie 8/12 + Series 9/23

Richie

Okay, just came back from watching the breathtaking jewel that was Your Name. And now -this- slice of animated goodness premieres. Can the body take so much awesome in so little time? Anyhows, preparing the thread now.

Richie

Ugh, mighty sorry GAF, something came up and I'm not gonna be able to finish the OT after all. Feel free to create it, here's some links that may prove helpful:

IndieWire:

The Disney XD movie, which airs repeatedly over 24 hours on Saturday, is family-friendly viewing at its finest.

Nerdist:

...In a rare triumph for these kinds of reboots, Disney XD’s new DuckTales series...finds the balance between new and old beautifully, bringing modern comedic sensibilities to exciting adventure stories.

DenOfGeek (Spoiler Free):

The new DuckTales is a bold reimagining that easily steps out of the shadow of its predecessor, and the premiere event is wonderful.

CinemaBlend:

With a renewed focus that recaptures what makes Carl Barks' comics still so fantastic, DuckTales is packed with action, adventure and fast-paced humor that all ages can and will enjoy, even the Scroogiest of Scrooges.

IGN:

The new DuckTales could have been a disaster. Instead, it's introducing a brand new audience to the crazy adventures of Scrooge McDuck and his nephews. While the new series can be brash, the spirit of the original is intact and thriving. The A+ cast, including David Tennant and Danny Pudi, brings these characters to life like never before, giving them individual personalities that will engage you in ways the original never did. As the show continues to uncover new mysteries and treasures, this is a journey fans -- whether new or not -- should be ready to take.

A very fun intro episode. Agree that Tennant and Bennet (as Launchpad) had the best performances. I'm eager to see how the other characters are introduced/interact with the cast.

I'm having a real tough time getting used to Tennant's voice. I just keep wishing it sounded more like Young's. Not having watched any of the previews, I had assumed he was going to be doing his take on Young's performance and not something markedly different. Usually when Disney hires new voice actors they try to get them as close to the original as possible so this is quite a departure. I also notice that the nephews have lost their duck-voices, which kind of grates as well. Maybe they already lost them on Quack Pack. I didn't really watch that show so I don't remember. Well, hopefully I'll get used to it.

I'm old.

I'm still hoping for some Don Rosa story adaptions. I'd also be happy with some references.

It's weird, they use his designs for Scrooge/Donald's parents. Though believe Rosa's still very staunchly assertive the comics and cartoons are quite different, and I recall one of the showrunners saying he was too nervous to call Don, which is a shame. I assume they'll use elements of Life&Times (the ones that aren't too year-specific) and perhaps some of the physics-gimmick stories (the ones messing with gravity, friction, etc.)

Ah jeez seeing the reception is killing me, is there any way to watch this if I don't have cable and Disney XD?? I've tried looking on iTunes but it's not even up for preorder yet let alone to buy D:

Tagg9

Ah jeez seeing the reception is killing me, is there any way to watch this if I don't have cable and Disney XD?? I've tried looking on iTunes but it's not even up for preorder yet let alone to buy D:

I assume it will be added to only VOD services tomorrow. I hope!

We all deserve a dad like Donald. He's so proud of his nephews.

Fixed that for you. He may be their uncle by blood, but this show is making it damn clear that he's their dad in spirit.

But yeah, I completely agree. This is probably my favorite incarnation of Donald we've ever seen.

Blues1990

Glomgold isn't really scottish?

In the Carl Barks comics, he's from South Africa and is a white South African duck. However, the main reason why he was changed to be Scottish in the '87 series was due the the multitude of political issues happening in Africa at the time, such as apartheid.

In the 2017 series, they combined both origins, so he's from South Africa but pretends to be Scottish, due to being envy of Scrooges' background and landslide success (along with his ego, he wants to be 10 times more Scottish than his rival). In either case, Glomgold is still characterized as an unrepentant miser that rarely has issues breaking the law, cheating, and using other unfair tactics in order to fulfill his goal of becoming the world's richest duck, further making him a "broken mirror" of Scrooge.

I like this approach, and I can't wait to see where they will take it.

ReiGun

It's gonna be a long wait till the end of September. This could have gone so wrong, but the team behind this clearly have a strong vision and the talent to back it up.

The season long mysteries
why did Donald and Scrooge stop adventuring together? and what happened to the boys' mom?
seem intriguing. I'm glad they're coming into this series knowing that today's kids adventure shows typically demand world building and long arcs. It'll be interesting to see them balance that with the adventures and re-introducing the characters from the comics and old cartoon.

Also got hype at
that St. Canard mention. Darkwing coming!

Blues1990

It's gonna be a long wait till the end of September. This could have gone so wrong, but the team behind this clearly have a strong vision and the talent to back it up.

The season long mysteries
why did Donald and Scrooge stop adventuring together? and what happened to the boys' mom?
seem intriguing. I'm glad they're coming into this series knowing that today's kids adventure shows typically demand world building and long arcs. It'll be interesting to see them balance that with the adventures and re-introducing the characters from the comics and old cartoon.

Also got hype at
that St. Canard mention. Darkwing coming!

If they do eventually make a reboot of Darkwing Duck, I hope the theme song heavy uses the saxophone for the theme song.

Basically a combination of this and this. (With the latter sped up to 1.25 speed.)

ReiGun

If they do eventually make a reboot of Darkwing Duck, I hope the theme song heavy uses the saxophone for the theme song.

Basically a combination of this and this. (With the latter sped up to 1.25 speed.)

That would be nice. I imagine they'd go something for a little more "poppy," but if it's jazz inspired, it's all good. Definitely need that sax.

In a perfect world, Darkwing making an appearance on DuckTales would lead to him getting his own show.

Also, while searching youtube, I found this HD upscale of the opening sequence for Darkwing. So good. There's been no official HD release, has there?

Glass Rebel

So this is good? Hell yes.

I hope this is successful so they can spin off a Darkwing Duck revival and eventually tackle Chip n Dale, TaleSpin, Goof Troop and, most importantly, fucking Gargoyles.

That would be nice. I imagine they'd go something for a little more "poppy," but if it's jazz inspired, it's all good. Definitely need that sax.

In a perfect world, Darkwing making an appearance on DuckTales would lead to him getting his own show.

Also, while searching youtube, I found this HD upscale of the opening sequence for Darkwing. So good. There's been no official HD release, has there?
Nope, but strangely Disney has quietly released their own HD restorations of Goof Troop and Rescue Rangers on iTunes. No Darkwing at all yet, but it's possible.

I prefer this incarnation of Mrs.Beakley over the one from the original series.

Yep, she blows the original out of the water. Love her.

ReiGun

Nope, but strangely Disney has quietly released their own HD restorations of Goof Troop and Rescue Rangers on iTunes. No Darkwing at all yet, but it's possible.

whoo.png
Might have to get on that. Weird they've only done those two.

Top Bottom