• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces a revolution in home video fun

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I was looking through some old magazines I had and this page caught my eye. I find it oddly prophetic (though not very funny). Non-games are an April Fools Day joke confirmed!

revolutionary.jpg

Tobor

The future is the past and the past is the present man. And like the present is the future too...it's like all one, mannnn.

laserbeam

Banned
They put it as a joke article but Nintendo in particular has had lots of seemingly crazy ideas as far back as the NEs but couldnt logistically get them off the ground.

Wouldnt put it past some of those ideas being real but Corporate being like your nuts at the time and now the guys a genius :p

koam

You know what I find funny and ironic? Everyone during the Gamecube days was bitching at how Nintendo was whoring out its IPs and wasn't creating any new ones. They created three major new IPs.

Nintendogs
Everything Training
Wii everything

Everyone is bitching about those now and want more mario, zelda, metroid.

Oddly enough, their new IPs are doing a lot better than their older ones lately.

I miss the days when I was playing with power. =(

Power Glove = Wii Remote
Power Pad = Wii Balance Board

Those days are still here :p

Parl

It's even better than GameSpot's last year April Fool's joke about an analyst predicting that Revolution would. As if an analyst would say that.

Thoren

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

The good old days when Nintendo would kick ass and take names by releasing the best of the best games.

NekoFever

So Nintendo will...

...create games that are based on everyday activities rather than epic adventures.
...create educational games.
...create a game about caring for a dog.
...create a series of 'Training' games.
...call the whole thing 'Revolution.'

Nah. I'm not falling for that.

Tristam

_leech_ said:
So the industry's becoming a joke... from 1989...

What are you talking about? All sorts of lame life simulation games were released (and by large gaming companies like Square) years before this article was printed.

Tristam said:
What are you talking about? All sorts of lame life simulation games were released (and by large gaming companies like Square) years before this article was printed.

It was a joke. You know, because the article was an April Fools joke from 1989 :p

Bildi

Talladega Knight said:
I love the retroness of the old Nintendo Powers. In a lot of ways, I miss when videogame journalism was like this.
Agreed. And early Mean Machines and the old CVG (although they were UK mags so I guess not so popular in the US).

Tristam

_leech_ said:
It was a joke. You know, because the article was an April Fools joke from 1989 :p

Oh, I thought you were implying that this stuff was new. Loli rape sims, pet training, all that shit can be traced back to old Japanese PCs like NEC's 8801. Nearly all of the old Japanese game developers/publishers have hentai skeletons in their respective closets (and in Enix's case, three or four).

Kosma

Banned
Bildi said:
Agreed. And early Mean Machines and the old CVG (although they were UK mags so I guess not so popular in the US).

Ill try to make some ugly pics of old mags tommorow and post them. I have a huge collection of magazines from 1992-2004. That is if anyone is interested.

donny2112

koam said:
You know what I find funny and ironic? Everyone during the Gamecube days was bitching at how Nintendo was whoring out its IPs and wasn't creating any new ones. They created three major new IPs.

Nintendogs
Everything Training
Wii everything

Everyone is bitching about those now and want more mario, zelda, metroid.

Oddly enough, their new IPs are doing a lot better than their older ones lately.

Could it be that, during the N64/GameCube error, anti-Nintendo posters flaunted the fact that Nintendo's main selling games were from the same franchises, so they could pigeonhole Nintendo fans as just fans of those properties?

Maybe now that Nintendo has these new massively selling properties, those same posters want Nintendo to return to the old franchises, so that they can put Nintendo back into their imaginary box and forget about them?

Sort of like bullies in elementary school seeing the kid they pushed around hit a growth spurt and become captain of the football team or something.

Just speculating here. :p

Rocked

donny2112 said:
Could it be that, during the N64/GameCube error, anti-Nintendo posters flaunted the fact that Nintendo's main selling games were from the same franchises, so they could pigeonhole Nintendo fans as just fans of those properties?

Maybe now that Nintendo has these new massively selling properties, those same posters want Nintendo to return to the old franchises, so that they can put Nintendo back into their imaginary box and forget about them?

Yeah, a lot of the people who criticise the Wii and say "I miss the old Nintendo! :( " had nothing good to say about the GameCube. Trolls posing as disgruntled fans basically.

felipeko said:
We really should start taking april fools about Nintendo seriously... The gamespot one was on the spot too.
I don't get it: it says that article is from 4/1/06, so why does it still call the Wii the Revolution? And at that point, it was pretty evident that Nintendo would take the lead.

Top Bottom