• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I misread "Muffin Knight" as "Muff Knight" and was poised to vote for the name alone.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Some cool stuff up there. I'm glad to see the games that people have been hammering Valve for are already accounted for, even if I wasn't particularly interested in some of them.

Gaspode_T

Prediction: (If there are no throttles in place for submission) There will be more than 200 games listed in 2 days, 1,000 in 7 days. Too many to keep up with...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Prediction: (If there are no throttles in place for submission) There will be more than 200 games listed in 2 days, 1,000 in 7 days. Too many to keep up with...

I think that is accounted for within the system. Good stuff will still rise to the top, as those projects will get passed amongst friends, written about on blogs on slow news days, or discussed on forums.

Greenlight is more of an open system of getting Valve to take a developer seriously than anything.

Zia

I've been wanting Dino Run SE in my Steam library for a couple years now. Everyone vote for that.

Joe Molotov

I voted up:

Project Gianna
Dream
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
Pitiri 1977

I'll take a closer look at the rest later when I have more time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
lol some jerk put "half life 3" up for rating

it got banned super fast

Is the counter broken? Every game I vote on says "this game has received 0% of the necessary ratings".
It just came out. I would assume it doesn't update in real time.

louiedog

Is the counter broken? Every game I vote on says "this game has received 0% of the necessary ratings".

Maybe it's delayed as computers do some background checking to make sure no one is running scripts or something, sort of like how YouTube views get frozen at a certain number to get checked.

Joe Molotov

The FAQ makes it sound like they're not going to use the goal counter until they see what kind of response typical games get.

How many votes does a game need to get selected?
It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

You should buy the bundle and try the games before voting.

I just saw that, I'm probably gonna check it out this weekend.

JaseC

I hope Valve adds some basic sorting options sooner rather than later. It's annoying clicking on the second page only to have a few items from the previous page appear.

louiedog

I hope Valve adds some basic sorting options sooner rather than later. It's annoying clicking on the second page only to have a few items from the previous page appear.

Yeah. It'd also be nice if each page had a button to bring me to another game to check out. I just want to cycle through a bunch of games and see them. Going back and forth is annoying.

Wok

Yeah. It'd also be nice if each page had a button to bring me to another game to check out. I just want to cycle through a bunch of games and see them. Going back and forth is annoying.

Maybe it is a protection agains mass voting.

HoosTrax

This one, Edge of Space, kind of caught my eye. Sounds kind of in the same vein as Starbound (the Terraria like game from the guys who made Wanderlust).

637x358.resizedimage

Blizzard

Banned
I'm kind of surprised they allow animated GIFs for the splash image (Signal Ops). It looks cool in that case but I can imagine quickly escalating abuse with that.

*edit*
I was trying to find the worst-looking game, and some of the comments are kind of funny already.
This looks like a flash game.
in my opinion it just looks like bit trip runner but not as hard
Go to the xbox indie arcade, your more successful cousin The Impossible Game is waiting for you

So there is no check before things gets added? Some stuff doesn't seem like it should be there tbh. And some items vanish before you can click on them.

Strange. Upvoted 5-6 titles of 60 or something.

Detox

I feel bad for the people at Valve who had to sort through these games now on the one hand people have put a lot of time and effort into making the games and on the other you have to have some kind of quality threshold. I'm only going to consider voting stuff with long let's play style videos or demos, it's too hard to determine whether a game is worth it from just a trailer and a blurb.

JaseC

I feel bad for the people at Valve who had to sort through these games now on the one hand people have put a lot of time and effort into making the games and on the other you have to have some kind of quality threshold. I'm only going to consider voting stuff with long let's play style videos or demos, it's too hard to determine whether a game is worth it from just a trailer and a blurb.

The ability for devs/pubs to add demos will come later.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So there is no check before things gets added? Some stuff doesn't seem like it should be there tbh. And some items vanish before you can click on them.

Strange. Upvoted 5-6 titles of 60 or something.

Nope.

That's the whole point.

You can report stuff if it's fraudulent or copyright infringing.

Just upvote what you like and downvote the crap, and things should work out okay.

I mean there's already some shovelware crap on Greelight, and it hasn't been out an hour yet.

Lint21

Neo Member
So, this is awesome.

Question: how are ya'll handling down-voting? The Greenlight page seems to show only games that I haven't yet rated. My OCD makes me want to clear that page by rating everything, but I don't really want to hurt a game's chances by down-voting, just because it doesn't appeal to me.

My hunch is that it doesn't matter *that* much, and in a quasi-democratic system like this, the cream will still rise to the top. Just wish we had more insight into how Valve will be selecting Greenlight games.

I wonder if they'll ever have a "suggested price" listing for the developers. I'd hate to vote on some 99 cent cell phone game and have it be released on Steam for 10 dollars.

Top Bottom