• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USK watch: Braid for PS3 confirmed

Majora

DrPirate said:
FINALLY it's multiplatform.

God, it feels so good to finally be able to say this game was overrated, boring and I just CAN'T get the appeal of this game.

I hated the damn music, the stupid pastel art, and I hated the damn cryptic story.
The girl was a damn metaphor for a nuclear bomb? Puh-LEASE

I know i'm gonna take alot of heat for my opinion (But it is just that: MY OPINION). But damn, what was so good about this game? I seriously couldn't stand it.....

The fact it had the best puzzle design I've seen in a game in years? I know it sounds hyperbolic but it seriously forced me to use my brain in ways that I don't think I've ever used it before. At times I got so damn confused but, like the best Zelda puzzles, the solutions are often disarmingly simple.

Seriously though, for all you PS3 only owners, do not use a walkthrough for the puzzles you get stuck on in this. You're meant to get stuck and spend ages figuring stuff out. Everything you ever need is always right there for you, that's the beauty of it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really happy about this! I've been interested in the game since it was first revealed, but I don't own a 360 or a capable PC, so... yeah!

matmanx1

Enjoyed it on the 360 even if it did make my head hurt at times. The music and graphical style were great though. Glad the PSN is getting this even if I enjoyed Castle Crashers more (mainly due to the co-op).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Braid just missed me completely (or the other way around, whatever).

I really really wanted to like it, but I found the process of trial and error necessary to solve many of the puzzles utterly infuriating. The cyclic try/fail, rewind, try/fail aspect drove me up the wall, especially as the object of nearly every puzzle was the same thing: Get your 2d sprite to x/y point on the screen.

Anyway. My loss I suppose, but I'd definitely recommend people try before they buy. I think its fair to say that it won't appeal to everyone.

Actually I won't double dip. Even if there are more features or levels. As an owner of both HD consoles I must say, that this timed exclusive shit is getting really annoying.

It's quite hilarious that Microsoft can't keep any exclusives. Honestly this will affect my buying decisions in the future.

I'll simply buy less games for the Microsoft console if theres the slightest chance of an extended PS3 version later on. I feel like I'm beta testing the software on Xbox 360. I've had enough of it.

Exclusive games? Fine. Multi plattform games? Fine. Timed exclusives? Bullshit. I want the whole game experience without buying the game several times.

BeeDog

Fortinbras said:
Actually I won't double dip. Even if there are more features or levels. As an owner of both HD consoles I must say, that this timed exclusive shit is getting really annoying.

It's quite hilarious that Microsoft can't keep any exclusives. Honestly this will affect my buying decisions in the future.

I'll simply buy less games for the Microsoft console if theres the slightest chance of an extended PS3 version later on. I feel like I'm beta testing the software on Xbox 360. I've had enough of it.

Exclusive games? Fine. Multi plattform games? Fine. Timed exclusives? Bullshit. I want the whole game experience without buying the game several times.

Whoa there skippy, has anything been said about exclusive/extended content yet? Don't think so. :D

WTFing

Banned
Fortinbras said:

Braid is a PC game, what are you talking about?

I'm shocked, actually. I was convinced this wasn't going to happen...

That said, I actually didn't like the game that much, but eh, to each their own.

BeeDog said:
Whoa there skippy, has anything been said about exclusive/extended content yet? Don't think so. :D

I can't remember any PlayStation port without exclusive stuff. At least all games I've been interested in had exclusive features.

I'm not married with any console. I just don't like to be forced to buy a game more than once to have a whole experience.

(Ok, that's harsh but that's how I feel.)

I just had to blow of some steam. Of course it is possible there won't be an extended version of Braid on PSN. It's the timed exclusive bullshit that is getting on my nerves.

Interesting. Sony seem to be keeping ahold of their PSN exclusives (Flower, Pixeljunk, Super stardust etc) and Microsoft aren't keeping ahold of theirs. Looks like Sony put more effort into exclusivity, whereas Microsoft want only timed deals. If this keeps on happening, the PSN will be the place for downloadable games.

I think Sony will be using Gamescom to promote the PSN more, so with game announcements, hopefully news on the firmware update, the EU movie store, Home updates and a slew of new PSone content, the network will be on a roll.

I hope it works out well for them.

Kukuk

Banned
Awesome! I've been hoping this would come to PS3. This is the one PSN game I can say I'm definitely getting. :D

Crisis

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Interesting. Sony seem to be keeping ahold of their PSN exclusives (Flower, Pixeljunk, Super stardust etc) and Microsoft aren't keeping ahold of theirs. Looks like Sony put more effort into exclusivity, whereas Microsoft want only timed deals. If this keeps on happening, the PSN will be the place for downloadable games.

I think Sony will be using Gamescom to promote the PSN more, so with game announcements, hopefully news on the firmware update, the EU movie store, Home updates and a slew of new PSone content, the network will be on a roll.

Sony signed exclusive deals to publish all three of those games if I am not mistaken. As in Sony owns the rights to them now. Microsoft money-hatted their games temporarily. For small independent developers that's a good thing for them because otherwise it might not get published.

BeeDog

Galvanise_ said:

Back up a bit. XBLA still has tons of more content (that isn't in the spotlight like this game for example) that hasn't appeared on PSN. Comments just like yours just serve to start up more fanboyish arguments and is completely unneccessary, really.

Galvanise_ said:

It's not just XBLA games. Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock and so on...

As I said this stuff will keep me from buying more 360 games. I just can't understand the strange Microsoft politics.

I think it'll hurt them in the long run. Not that I care. I'm more interested in my own wallet.

Galvanise_ said:

XBLA still has a tons of exclusives and the best offer. Braid is a year old game, it's no big deal and actually good news as it's the best game released in 2008 imo.

And Sony already lost most of their third party retail exclusivities... so I'm not sure that you could say that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BeeDog said:
Back up a bit. XBLA still has tons of more content (that isn't in the spotlight like this game for example) that hasn't appeared on PSN.
That's partially because Sony rejects quite a bit of content, including nearly all retro remakes (they only approved 2 of the several Sega retro releases for example).

I understand on one hand why they would want to do this- XBLA has problems really defining what they are anymore (why haven't they dropped the Arcade name?) as they encompass pretty much everything- retro remakes, new games, large downloadable games, etc. The problem with this is that you're bound to be lost in the shuffle if you don't have some kind of original product to push.

With PSN, it's more of a spotlight on one or two games every week that are original experiences on the console. The idea to restrict all forms of retro remakes makes sense in a way, but they should really take their blinders off and just make a separate marketplace for those types of games. Mortal Kombat II is still outselling new PSN games and its nearly two years old for crying out loud.

There is a way of encompassing all forms of downloadable content like this, but it's not the Microsoft way and Sony doesn't seem to be interested at all in it. Too bad on both counts.

soldat7

Fortinbras said:
It's not just XBLA games. Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock and so on...

As I said this stuff will keep me from buying more 360 games. I just can't understand the strange Microsoft politics.

I think it'll hurt them in the long run. Not that I care. I'm more interested in my own wallet.

*rolls-eyes*

Anyways, Braid is an absolutely brilliant game that will really test you. Try and go through the entire game without any hints. You'll spend up to an hour on some puzzles, but it's worth it. Braid is an extremely rewarding game.

Lorr

Awesome. I've been holding off on the 360 version since I can't stand using the controller for 2D games but was thinking about just getting it soon anyway, so this is well timed.
Nuclear Muffin said:
What major original (i.e not a remake or a port) exclusive games does XBLA games have left. Pacman CE, Geowars 2 and Shadow Complex are the only ones that spring to mind.

Uno?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Galvanise_ said:

Simple,
Sony invests in everything from the ground up. They pick a few specific titles and invest fully into them earlier on. They own all the assets or atleast lock it down enough so it won't appear on another system.
MS on the other hand spreads it out in many areas. They invest more into developer support on a universal level than specific points. It was mentioned earlier on in the generation. Which was why they got allot of "exclusives" or opened up allot of former exclusives on the other system. Because it either gets done on their system first or the ease of development allows it on the system.

In this case, It's probably the combination of both the first one, and "Summer of XBLA". It's kinda brilliant that they made it were their digital releases can be given premium space on their service by doing this...for pretty much nothing. And in return, they are allow to have the game first. While the developer then can work on the other versions after.

LordPhoque said:
XBLA still has a tons of exclusives and the best offer. Braid is a year old game, it's no big deal and actually good news as it's the best game released in 2008 imo.

And Sony already lost most of their third party retail exclusivities... so I'm not sure that you could say that.

Its not really lost as those games were meant to be multiplatform anyway. last gen was the case of third party exclusives. not this gen for third parties.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
outstanding game, I'm glad more people get to play it.

lucablight said:
Will this be Available in Australia? Would definitely like to check this one out.
I guess a German rating would mean a Euro release which would mean an Australian release. If some reason available in Australia though you can just pick up a US psn card off ebay or playasia, create a US account, and download the games that don't get released here.

tenten

Banned
Fortinbras said:

So what should MS do? if they keep the exclusive, people will yell "money hat"
if they just let publishers do what they want, and share the wealth, you're saying "strange politics"?

Look, this gen, the 360 doesn't need a single exclusive. Just imagine having a console that can play close to 90% of ps3's library for $200 cheaper all these times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UnluckyKate said:
And REZ HD
And Ikaruga.

Please.

And Radiant Silvergun.
I can dream

PSN needs more "classic" games among the
Not that hot
Indy games.

tenten

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Yes please. I'm glad Braid is coming but I really want Geo Wars on PS3.

Do the ps3 owners that want geo wars try super stardust and and everyday shooter?
really still want geo wars after playing those two games?

Crisis said:
Sony signed exclusive deals to publish all three of those games if I am not mistaken. As in Sony owns the rights to them now. Microsoft money-hatted their games temporarily. For small independent developers that's a good thing for them because otherwise it might not get published.

It really is a win/win for the developer. They get the money hat, the extra attention that comes with being exclusive... then they get to port it for more profits and more people get to play their game. Not only that get the added attention of the news of the port like right now.

Good for them, more people get to play the game they worked their ass off on. If there are going to be exclusive deals, I'd rather that they go down like this so that no one is left out.

Sneds

It's awesome that more people are going to get the chance to play this brilliant game.

I also love the phrase 'jump n run' as a genre.

ChryZ

Braid is a good fit with all the other awesome PSN stuff. It might not stand out as much as on 360, but it's still a good addition.

Shearie

tenten said:
Do the ps3 owners that want geo wars try super stardust and and everyday shooter?really still want geo wars after playing those two games?

I got both games plus the single player expansion for SSHD when they came out and I still want Retro Evolved 2 or some expansion of it to come out on PSN because I think it's the best console twin-stick shooter out there.

tenten said:
Do the ps3 owners that want geo wars try super stardust and and everyday shooter?
really still want geo wars after playing those two games?

I have Super Stardust HD and love it. I also have Everyday Shooter but I don't like it.

I have a 360 and own both GWars game but I want it to come to PS3 so that I can compete for high scores against my good friend who also has a PS3. My 360 is my Halo machine and that's it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is good news for PS3 owners. Braid has some detractors, but I think it's worth all the praise it got. Amazing game with an unforgettable ending. Just don't read any of the books you'll find before the levels, let the game itself do the talking.

iratA

This and Castle Crashers Day 1. Oh and Shadow Complex please. Yeah ..I know I know, let a man dream will ya.

Kenaras

Fortinbras said:

It's happened in the other direction too - see Virtua Fighter 5. That's just what happens with timed exclusives. The publisher sees it as a way to increase perceived value, thereby improving sales. The console manufacturer sees it as a way to turn a negative (later release date) into a positive (additional content). It's win/win for both of them; the only people who lose out are game collectors who feel a need to own the most complete version.

Personally it doesn't bother me. If the additional content looks good enough to warrant a second purchase I'll do so without feeling bad about it - but it's extremely rare that I consider the content to be worth it. Since it does bother you, I recommend waiting a year before purchasing any game which might be a timed exclusive; that's almost always enough time for the other versions to be announced.

tenten said:
Next year around this time:
monkey island, shadow complex, turtle in time, trials, splosion man, magic the gathering, kof 98, duke nukem, worms 2, and space invaders extreme.

Did I miss any? PSN is going to be on fire!!!
and xbla has "been" on fire!! :D

Top Bottom