• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Ark

VdTkZeT.gif

gLYY7hk.png

Malaysia
1st October

iWvDRY3.png

skysports-f1-calendar_3843359.jpg

0VZ7D2l.png

MERCEDES
Race drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Engines: Mercedes

RED BULL
Race drivers: Daniel Ricciardo and JosMax Verstappen
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: TAG Heuer-badged Renault

FERRARI
Race drivers: Sebastian Vettel and Bwoah!
Third driver: Bwoah!
Engines: Bwoah!
Team Principle: Bwoah?

FORCE INDIA
Race drivers: Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon
Test driver: Alfonso Celis

WILLIAMS
Race drivers: Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll

MCLAREN-HONDA
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne
Third driver: Jenson Button
Chief Strategist: Wax Free Vanilla
Engines: F2 Leftovers
Fuel: The tears of Spain
Trivia: McLaren-Honda about to have a higher unemployment rate than the youth of Spain.

TORO ROSSO
Race drivers: Carlos Sainz and Daniil Kvyat
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: Renault

FerrariHAAS
Race drivers: Romain Grosjean and Kevin 'The last driver to score a podium for McLaren' Magnussen
Engines: Ferrari

RENAULT
Race drivers: Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer
Reserve driver: Sergey Sirotkin
Engines: Renault

Sauber
Race drivers: Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein
Engines: Ferrari (2016 spec)

0OGFMLA.png

2017 features one of the biggest regulation shake-ups since the introduction of hybrid turbo power units in 2014. This time bodywork and tyres are the centre of attention, with both getting wider in order to boost downforce and grip, making the cars both faster and physically harder to drive. In fact, a reduction in lap time of around 3 to 5 seconds is expected.

Tyres
Tyres are around 25 percent wider than in 2016, with rear width up from 325mm to 405, and front width raised from 245 to 305. Tyre diameter has also increased very slightly, though wheel rim size remains unchanged at 13 inches.

Bodywork

Front wing

As shown in the drawings below from technical artist Giorgio Piola, front wing span is increased from 1650mm to 1800mm. Note also that the overall width of the car is up from 1800 to 2000mm.

Rear wing and rear diffuser

As shown in the drawings below, the height of the rear wing is reduced to a maximum of 800mm, down from 950 previously. Meanwhile, the diffuser is more powerful thanks to increased height - up from 125mm to 175 - and width - up from 1000mm to 1050. It is also longer, now extending ahead of the rear wheel axle line.

Sidepods

As shown below, bodywork is now wider, with maximum width up from 1400mm to 1600mm.

Weight

Maximum weight is increased from 702kg to 722kg plus tyres.

Power units

A rule change has been made to prevent drivers stockpiling spare power unit elements. During any single event, if a driver introduces more than one of a power unit element that is subject to a grid penalty, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent events without further penalty. A number of changes have also been introduced aimed at reducing power unit costs, guaranteeing supply for customer teams, and closing the performance gap between engines:

- The power unit price for customer teams has been reduced by €1m per season compared to 2016.

- To ensure the supply of power units to customer teams, the homologation procedure now includes an ‘obligation to supply' that is activated in the event of a team facing an absence of supply.

- The previous ‘token' system for in-season engine development has been removed.

- Additionally, constraints on power unit part weights, dimensions and materials, and on boost pressure, are being introduced in 2017 and in 2018.

Other changes

Wet-weather standing starts

If a safety car is deemed to be required for the beginning of a race due to wet weather, unlike previously a normal standing start will occur once the track is deemed safe to race. The process will see the safety car return to the pit lane and the cars assemble on the grid for the start.

Helmet livery

Drivers must continue to use essentially the same helmet design at all races for easy recognition of the driver in the car. However, each driver is now allowed to use a special livery at one event of his choosing, such as a home race for example. Drivers will also be allowed to change their helmet liveries if changing teams during the season.

untitled-89vun1.gif

BigAl1992

New OT!

On the race: Really wish Ferrari didn't crash in the first corner, as the race suffered as a whole.

However, this Championship is far from over. All it takes is 1 DNF for Hamilton and it's back on.

JDB

Banned
If you're gonna use that title you gotta remove the 'A' in 'A Dutch Horror Story' so it matches the previous OT.
:mad:

KdotIX

Worthy to note that VET, RAI and VER have gone to see the stewards now.. if VET gets 3 points for today, that could be 12 in total (I think) and a race ban.

BigAl1992

Worthy to note that VET, RAI and VER have gone to see the stewards now.. if VET gets 3 points for today, that could be 12 in total (I think) and a race ban.

5. Vettel has 7 penalty points, not 9.

Also, two points will get removed in Malaysia which is the next race, so he'll be back to 5 points.

JDB

Banned
He has 7 right now. Plus I think he'd get 2 points at worst.
Not that he'll get any, though. They'll rule it as a racing incident.

Malaysia with its three long straights is literally a walk in the park for !erc next race.

Twisty Japan will be Ferrari territory.

USA will favour Merc.

Mexico will favour Merc.

Brazil maybe for Ferrari.

Abu Dhabi probably Merc too with lots of straights and fast corners.

Ferrari can't win 2017.

He dropped two a couple of races ago did he not?
(edit) besides, that wasn't a three point incident IMO.

M52B28

Banned
I can't believe I slept through this race. Exciting results, nonetheless.

I'm sure Ricciardo is enjoying the time on podium.

Race was spoiled as a result, but Vettel got everything he deserved for squeezing Verstappen. Unnecessary aggression.

Very fitting that it was Raikkonen that utlimately spun into him and did the damage, although I feel for both him and Verstappen. And Alonso more than anyone

hamchan

Ferrari can only blame themselves for getting no points today.

Or they can blame poor Verstappen on twitter lol.

Fox Mulder

Race was spoiled as a result, but Vettel got everything he deserved for squeezing Verstappen. Unnecessary aggression.

Very fitting that it was Raikkonen that utlimately spun into him and did the damage, although I feel for both him and Verstappen. And Alonso more than anyone

No way Vettel could have expected Kimi to actually give a shit and have an amazing start.

3 mins after the incident and on Twitter, yeah.

Smh.....

I was wondering what Sebs "darling of Ferrari" status would be after this race since he literally just cost them their first real championship in ten years.

Guess they're in denial.

Meanwhile in OT1:

Championship over.
Fuck this shit.

Congrats on the championship Hamilton.
Wow perfect, World Championship ruined....
Championship over in a single second, nearly
Not sure what kimi was trying there

That's the championship right there
Vettel may have just thrown away the championship there.
And that's how you lose the WDC. GJ.
Championship over. Top job.
it is over ham won this year
what a clusterfuck for Ferrari.....championship is done
We'll look back and see this as the race where Ferrari threw it all away for the season, and their drivers have only themselves to blame.

tumblr_o4btdixKJa1s9l8tco1_500.gif

Smh.....

I was wondering what Sebs "darling of Ferrari" status would be after this race since he literally just cost them their first real championship in ten years.

Guess they're in denial.

Well 3 minutes after the incident it's an easy knee jerk reaction to make for random Social Media person X.

But lol they should really delete that.

Unfortunate luck for Ferrari, but it all couldve been avoided. By the way, that crash shouldnt be blamed on the wet weather either, that came down to a set of decisions made by a driver.

John_B

Brutal result for Vettel. The championship is not out of his control but he has mountain to climb unless Hamilton hits serious trouble.

Alonso doesnt get credit for 2010 or 2012? lmao

Red Bull was the dominant car by far in that era and nobody but McLaren could really come close. Ferrari had zero qualifying pace and therefore could barely ever start from the front.

If the Ferrari was was dominant in those years after sucking years previous and Alonso crashed out spectacularly costing the championship, as opposed to just not having the car then it would be different.

Line_HTX

Sorry for not being able to watch a lot of races this year live. How many DNF's has Max had? I would hear every now and then how the F1 twitter account ask how much bad luck can one driver have, but was it that was avoidable today?

And holy shit at eight retirements, god dayyum...

Good lord do you people hate Ferrari so much here.... it's like they're the ones who won the last 4 championships without any kind of competition whatsoever.

They were an evil empire for about 5 or 6 years under Jean Todt. The stench of that residue will take several generations to go away.

DBT85

Sorry for not being able to watch a lot of races this year live. How many DNF's has Max had? I would hear every now and then how the F1 twitter account ask how much bad luck can one driver have, but was it that was avoidable today?

Nothing max could do today. Got squeezed.

RSP

Quoted from the other thread:

dc1fab89ef7dad5950889877b2a4dbbc.png

Its never over till its over. I thought Hamilton had Rosberg covered last year, but then his car blew up in Malaysia and he messed up an easily winnable race at Monza.

Pryce

Not even sure if I should watch any of the races. This was Ferrari's best track and it got fucked.

2021 here we come?

Top Bottom