• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at David Harbour as Hellboy

He looks amazing but fuck man, this just hit me really hard. Ron was so passionate about the role and he was perfect for it, David has so much to live up to to even come within an inch of Perlman.

Ithil

That is pretty much a rip off of Pearlman's look. Not a great start so far.
I mean, it looks like Hellboy.

thumb_zps0a22f39evws2b.jpg

What else is it supposed to look like?

Mahonay

Banned
He looks amazing but fuck man, this just hit me really hard. Ron was so passionate about the role and he was perfect for it, David has so much to live up to to even come within an inch of Perlman.
As much as I really love Ron Pearlman (one of my favorite actors), Harbour has some serious acting chops, he'll be just fine. Just have to hope the script is good

He looks exactly like Hellboy. Perfect!

As much as I really love Ron Pearlman (one of my favorite actors), Harbour has some serious acting chops, he'll be just fine. Just have to hope the script is good

I sure hope the script is good. They have a lot of comic material to draw from thankfully.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Makes performances like Urban as Dredd and Weaving as V that much more impressive

Weaving did such an amazing job there. It's so easy for a performance like that to come off as goofy. Cause there is a coldness to just looking at a mask, but he really brought warmth to the character. It takes chops to cross that gap. Weaving can do anything though, he was my favorite part of Hacksaw Ridge.

Apparently these prosthetics look pretty different depending on the angle you shoot & light em at.

Because the black & white shot doesn't look all that much like the full-color one we just pored over.

B33

Banned
Apparently these prosthetics look pretty different depending on the angle you shoot & light em at.

Because the black & white shot doesn't look all that much like the full-color one we just pored over.
Agreed.

Makes me think that the overall look of David Harbour's Hellboy is going to fully come together in post-production, which is what I expected.

TaterTots

Banned
Fucking pumped. Though, I really dug Ron's Hellboy. I've purposely avoided potential plots for this movie, but I hope they skip the Seed of Destruction story. We've seen a take on it already.

WarRock

Need a better look at the right hand.

Less bulk up. Look at his left arm

Dude does not even look that he NEED the right hand of doom =P
Those aren't realistic proportions anyway. Comic Hellboy is simultaneously very slim/lean and bulky. It really depends on the scene and if Mignola wants to emphasize the animal-like aspect of his anatomy or the human aspect.

Is there anything this doesn't apply to?

I mean, yeah?

I can see how it seems like I stated a super-obvious thing but those two pictures are fairly different looking, in a way that goes beyond the basic "oh, I shot from above and slapped an insta filter on it" kinda different.

Basically, I shoulda put italics (hey now!) around "pretty" in that sentence to set off just how different the lighting and the angle have made the makeup job look.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Lol not all his real body. Look at the traps on the neck. Some of it is prostatic. Just a really amazing job by their make up/practical effects team.
Ok, that makes more sense. Hard to tell nowadays with so much money and drugs running through Hollywood

I mean, yeah?

I can see how it seems like I stated a super-obvious thing but those two pictures are fairly different looking, in a way that goes beyond the basic "oh, I shot from above and slapped an insta filter on it" kinda different.

Hm, I'm not seeing it, am I looking at the right picture, the one with the coat?

Top Bottom