• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Galava

SO, FIRST SHINY I GET SINCE G/S

I am leveling up on Poni and this guy appears
KLH8yxu.png

YES

EDIT: HE CONFUSES HIMSELF AND DIES

FUCK THIS GAME

ionitron

SO, FIRST SHINY I GET SINCE G/S

I am leveling up on Poni and this guy appears

YES

EDIT: HE CONFUSES HIMSELF AND DIES

FUCK THIS GAME

My worst nightmare is getting a shiny while leveling up on Poni. During the day, Gumshoos. At night? Raticate. Truly scary.

So what are people's theories about what the ultra beasts actually are? What is ultra space? The game doesn't explain this thoroughly, so I thought it would be fun to speculate.

Here is a collection of facts we know about them:
- They're from another dimension called ultra space.
- Three of the ultra beasts strongly resemble some of the characters. Nihilego, Pheromosa, and Xurkitree respectively resemble Lillie, Lusamine, and Guzma. There is significant evidence to suggest this is intentional, which I can bring up if requested.
- The other ultra beasts don't seem resemble any known characters, but are still vaguely humanoid.
- Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma have some connection with ultra beasts, but it's unclear if they actually are ultra beasts themselves. Some characters surmise that they are ultra beasts but it's never made definitive. Evidence they are ultra beasts: They can go into ultra space, and their base stats are all prime numbers (like the ultra beasts). Evidence they're not: They're not humanoid like the ultra beasts, they don't have the energy aura of ultra beasts (so aether foundation doesn't detect them as ultra beasts and they don't have the ability beast boost), and they have higher base stat totals than the ultra beasts.
- Some ultra beasts existed long in the past, but Nihilego, Pheromosa, and Xurkitree are based on modern people. This suggests that these ultra beasts were born or created recently.
- Solgaleo and Lunala are able to manipulate ultra space (can make their own wormholes). But ultra beasts are known to not be able to manipulate ultra space (can't make their own wormholes). It's said that after they fall to earth, they chase after humans who have been to ultra space because they hope it will lead them back home. So we know they're trying (and failing) to go back home, showing they can't just make their own wormholes.
- Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma are all partially psychic type.

After considering this evidence, my personal theory is:
Ultra beasts and ultra space are created by Solgaleo and Lunala. Solgaleo and Lunala base them off them off the minds of the people they know. This explains why Solgaleo and Lunala are psychic type, why the ultra beasts are based off people, and why Solgaleo and Lunala can manipulate ultra space but the ultra beasts can't.

As for Necrozma idk. Could either be like Solgaleo and Lunala or could be an ancient ultra beast.

that's a solid interpretation.

My personal opinion is that
Lusamine saw those Ultra Beasts while she and her husband were researching Ultra Space and, after flying off the deep end, modeled her own appearance after Pheromosa. Lillie already admitted that her mother dressed her, so that explains the similarities to Nihilego, and Guzma was working for Lusamine in secret, so it's possible that she suggested that he'd look tight in black clothes with white hair to make him look like Xurkitree.

Izayoi

Banned
Debating on what to do for my special 'mon for this Championship...

Can't decide between Solgaleo or Magearna...

Worried that if I run two fairies I'll run into problems with coverage, but Koko and Magearna seems like a killer combo.

Regiruler

Worried that if I run two fairies I'll run into problems with coverage, but Koko and Magearna seems like a killer combo.

Is there a restriction on number?

DrArchon

The biggest problem I see with Koko and Maggy team ups is the ground weakness, and that's not a problem with a levitator or a Flying type, and Solgaleo has the same problem. Magearna is a fucking monster if you can get a Shift Gear off and at least one Soul Heart boost, because it just cascades from there with more and more boosts and you rip through teams. Obviously Solgaleo has the raw stat advantage though, and it's not another special attacker like Magearna.

Regiruler

Ok, I have a trick room team planned. Here is what I have planned so far:

Carbink (trick roomer with sturdy, possibly explosion)
Araquanid
Dhelmise (resists or is neutral to the typing of most tapus and UBs, and steel hits a LOT these days).

With possibly considering:
Magearna (trick roomer, quiet)
Golisopod (realistically I would never send in it and araq in the same battle due to exact same typing, but they cover much different niches)
Buzzswole
Xurkitree
Solgaleo (purely for raw BST, it has jolly as a warning)
Tapu Bulu

any thoughts?

Continuing conversation from previous thread...

I think these are all the exclusive 5* shops:

Sun
-Rare Kitchen
-Friendship Parlor
-Battle Table
-Clink-Clunk Land
-Soft Drink Parlor (only goes up to 3*)
-Pharmacy (only goes up to 3*)
-Team Red
-Team Green
-Team Orange
-Team Purple

Moon
-Friendship Cafe
-Thump-Bump Park
-Stomp-Stomp House
-General Store
-Ball Shop (only goes up to 3*)
-Battle Shop (only goes up to 3*)
-Team Yellow
-Team Blue
-Team Navy Blue
-Team Pink

If the other version has an exclusive store, then you won't ever get that store from a level up and will need to buy it. You'll gain the ability to buy stores from other players once you reach level 8.

Okay thanks. My question now is if I don't do this trick, as in just take whatever happens, will I be at a disadvantage? Screwed?

It's a pretty good trick. I wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage, it just makes the process of getting the facilities you want easier. You still have the option of buying what you need from visitors.

EndMerit

Ok, I have a trick room team planned. Here is what I have planned so far:

Carbink (trick roomer with sturdy, possibly explosion)
Araquanid
Dhelmise (resists or is neutral to the typing of most tapus and UBs, and steel hits a LOT these days).

With possibly considering:
Magearna (trick roomer, quiet)
Golisopod (realistically I would never send in it and araq in the same battle due to exact same typing, but they cover much different niches)
Buzzswole
Xurkitree
Solgaleo (purely for raw BST, it has jolly as a warning)
Tapu Bulu

any thoughts?

I'm curious what's your plan with Xurkitree. 83 speed is a little high for Trick Room (and little low without it), and it's moveset seems so limited that it's 173 Special attack has hard time reaching it's full potential.

Regiruler

I'm curious what's your plan with Xurkitree. 83 speed is a little high for Trick Room (and little low without it), and it's moveset seems so limited that it's 173 Special attack has hard time reaching it's full potential.

STAB Thunderbolt anything that moves is the basic gist

I wanted a mid speed poke in case
A: the opponent's team has a bunch of much slower pokemon making trick room not ideal
B: the opponent has a very obvious taunt role making my most reliable trick roomer useless

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got my event Magearna, kinda underwhelming as the game just hands it to you with very little fanfare.

I still have questions about Magearna and the game answer none of them.

So I headed off to the battle tree and I met and battled Dexio, urgh I didn't want to battle him and it was annoying to see that the AI still send mega out last.

Then Dexio gave me a mega stone for Alakazam but I was like "No you keep your mega and Kalos crap to yourself."

I tried to throw away the mega stone but Game Freak removed that option so I had to catch a Pokémon, give it the mega stone and release it.

ffdgh

Continuing conversation from previous thread...

It's a pretty good trick. I wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage, it just makes the process of getting the facilities you want easier. You still have the option of buying what you need from visitors.
Such a pain that 5 star kitchens are sun exclusive. Oh well at least sun players have the option to save scum them.

Wiseblade

Swapped out Primarina for Ash-Greninja in my Battle Tree and put it in the lead. The game reacts by leading with Pokémon it can OHKO.

Okay...

ionitron

Such a pain that 5 star kitchens are sun exclusive. Oh well at least sun players have the option to save scum them.

I feel like Sun turned out to be the better version :/

I like Lunala way more than Solgaleo, loads more- but everything else leans more towards Sun for me.

Articalys

Is there a list anywhere with all the move/ability changes? I just learned about stuff like the Gale Wings nerf and Leech Life buff and don't want to keep getting caught off guard.

Swapped out Primarina for Ash-Greninja in my Battle Tree and put it in the lead. The game reacts by leading with Pokémon it can OHKO.

Okay...

Yeah, Ash-Greninja works best as a revenge killer. I tried putting Greninja in the lead before holding life orb, most of the time he could outspeed and knock out pokemon but when you get into the twenties and people start throwing megas at you things get pretty dicey.

5* Rare Kitchens are by far the most common 5* facilities I see from other players, so the only problem you should have is getting the FC needed to buy them.

I mean, if you want more than one then that is 4,500 FC down the hole, but still.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Got my event Magearna, kinda underwhelming as the game just hands it to you with very little fanfare.

So I headed off to the battle tree and I met and battled Dexio, urgh I didn't want to battle him and it was annoying to see that the AI still send mega out last.

Then Dexio gave me a mega stone for Alakazam but I was like "No you keep your mega and Kalos crap to yourself."

I tried to throw away the mega stone but Game Freak removed that option so I had to catch a Pokémon, give it the mega stone and release it.
I hope you felt like a badass because you acted like a dumbass.

ffdgh

I feel like Sun turned out to be the better version :/

I like Lunala way more than Solgaleo, loads more- but everything else leans more towards Sun for me.

Eh exclusives are tradable...but we did get the best UB lol. Moon does have 2 EV bounce houeses exclusive to it and One 5 star rare kitchen on hand is all I need since 1 stars still get rare dinners.

5* Rare Kitchens are by far the most common 5* facilities I see from other players, so the only problem you should have is getting the FC needed to buy them.

I mean, if you want more than one then that is 4,500 FC down the hole, but still.

Yeah I have a VIP with one for whatever reason...1500 coins was expensive as heck but worth it. I don't plan to buy another one 3000+ coins though. >_>

Oh wow. Lol. I was going to breed for a shiny Rockruff and it turns out I already have one. I suppose it was from wondertrading my breedjects so I wasn't paying much attention. Well thanks Andrew!

Wiseblade

Yeah, Ash-Greninja works best as a revenge killer. I tried putting Greninja in the lead before holding life orb, most of the time he could outspeed and knock out pokemon but when you get into the twenties and people start throwing megas at you things get pretty dicey.
I'm in the 40s and the game is giving me constant Greninja Sweep fodder. Might be because I switched the team up halfway through the run since the game was countering my Adamant Mimikyu really hard when it was leading.

Eh exclusives are tradable...but we did get the best UB lol. Moon does have 2 EV bounce houeses exclusive to it and One 5 star rare kitchen on hand is all I need since 1 stars still get rare dinners.

The Bounce Houses are inferior to Poke Pelago, in my opinion. They are definitely not worth a spot in the Plaza over things that are far more beneficial.

Same thing with the Friendship Cafe/Parlor. Just use Poke Pelago to produce EV-reducing berries for your Pokemon.

Can anyone explain to me what determines how they ban/allow certain pokemon in tournments and online?

Ash-Greninja seems to be banned sometimes, but in other events allowed.
Is he legendary? Are the Ultra Beasts and Tapus legendary?

I'm new to Pokemon (havent played since Silver) and am trying to figure out who I can and can't use on my battling team.

EndMerit

STAB Thunderbolt anything that moves is the basic gist

I wanted a mid speed poke in case
A: the opponent's team has a bunch of much slower pokemon making trick room not ideal
B: the opponent has a very obvious taunt role making my most reliable trick roomer useless

Just seems like too much of a one-trick pony to me. Xurkitree's surprisingly frail, so almost everything with earthquake will OHKO it, not to mention that Ground types will just win even if you're using Energy Ball. Mudsdale with right nature could have 0 EVs and still survive 1 hit from you and OHKO you unless you have some EVs in your bulk.

I'm interested because I'm currently soft resetting Xurkitrees, even though I'm sceptical of ever using it competitively.

Wiseblade

Why would you do this? What difference would it make if it just sat in your bag?

ffdgh

The Bounce Houses are inferior to Poke Pelago, in my opinion. They are definitely not worth a spot in the Plaza over things that are far more beneficial.

Same thing with the Friendship Cafe/Parlor. Just use Poke Pelago to produce EV-reducing berries for your Pokemon.

Having the option for an instant 128/252 EVs is always nice to have for me. Don't have enough BP for the power items just yet either. Yeah friendship parlors are useless since I have plenty EV berries on hand for happiness and EV reduction.

Regiruler

Just seems like too much of a one-trick pony to me. Xurkitree's surprisingly frail, so almost everything with earthquake will OHKO it, not to mention that Ground types will just win even if you're using Energy Ball. Mudsdale with right nature could have 0 EVs and still survive 1 hit from you and OHKO you unless you have some EVs in your bulk.

I'm interested because I'm currently soft resetting Xurkitrees, even though I'm sceptical of ever using it competitively.

Just go modest and then do whatever experimental nature you want. I did calm for my second one since electric isn't a bad type for special switch-ins.

Ground isn't actually a concern and neither is grass because of araqua or golis. Vikavolt would actually fit the slot incredibly well because of its slow speed and good movepool... but that's adding another bug so that would be 2 rock weaknesses in a possible sendout.

EDIT: Are you sure it would survive a grass knot?
Having the option for an instant 128/252 EVs is always nice to have for me. Don't have enough BP for the power items just yet either. Yeah friendship parlors are useless since I have plenty EV berries on hand for happiness and EV reduction.

The instant reset from the parlors is pretty handy, you can only be growing so many berries and I only just got a hondew recently.

Rare cafe is pretty useful outright when you get the special item.

Wiseblade

Lusamine of the Aether Foundation
might be my favourite antagonist of the series. Great look, motivation and they're sharp tongued in a way that really appeals to me. Then there's that room and they have a killer battle theme. Yeah, none of the other villainous bosses compare.

PMS341

Lusamine of the Aether Foundation
might be my favourite antagonist of the series. Great look, motivation and they're sharp tongued in a way that really appeals to me. Then there's that room and they have a killer battle theme. Yeah, none of the other villainous bosses compare.

Definitely reminds me of the main antagonist of Kill la Kill.

Regiruler

How many
Celesteela
do moon players get?

I want one but there's so many options... if moon players only get 2 that makes trading a little one-sided.

EndMerit

Just go modest and then do whatever experimental nature you want. I did calm for my second one since electric isn't a bad type for special switch-ins.

Ground isn't actually a concern and neither is grass because of araqua or golis. Vikavolt would actually fit the slot incredibly well because of its slow speed and good movepool... but that's adding another bug so that would be 2 rock weaknesses in a possible sendout.

EDIT: Are you sure it would survive a grass knot?

Oh, If you're talking double battles then that's another thing entirely. No use for me to start speculating your team composition, you know that better than me.

Anyway, I checked: Xurkitree with Modest nature, Perfect IVs and Full EVs in HP and Special attack. Mudsdale with Sassy nature and perfect IVs would need only 80 EVs in attack for a certain OHKO, and full EVs in HP and 80 in Sp. Def to always survive non-crit Grass Knot, which is the strongest move Xurkitree can throw it's way, exept for Grass Z-move.

That seems like very plausible stat distribution for Mudsdale, since with Stamina ability and no speed, you'll want to put your EVs in bulk and attack.
Also, we're talking about Mudsdale here. Garchomp, for example, will switch in and eat your face with no effort if you don't have Hidden Power Ice, and Dragonite, thanks to it's Multiscale ability, can take even that 4x weakness.

Top Bottom