• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arms' Heart - New Rpg From The Creator of Shadow Hearts

From my love of niche rpg's, went to play this at TGS, just casually asked who the director was, then got a bit of a shock. Long where-abouts Unknown , Matsuzo Machida!, Director and Writer of Shadow Hearts 1 and 2: comes a dark Steam punk RPG.

hpab.jpg

http://www.hamster.co.jp/armsheart

Here's what I got from the pr lady(Hamster is developing, Konami is publishing)

- Machida is the Director/ Story Writer. Apparently he at some time went to work for Hamster(PR lady didn't want to give a clear date. I always wondered why he didn't direct New World) ,came up with the idea for the game and started work on it, has since left the company and is continuing work on the game as a contractor.

- Though it looks very similar and has many similar elements(including heart in the name) there is no direct or intentional connection between the games, sayeth the pr lady.

Story
qt7gqmiygcy7pq1ml922qfe.jpg

- Traditional Fantasy rpg: Dark steam punk fantasy Europe based world(Continent is called europa). Main story is set in a kingdom controlled by a secret evil organization (Yohan's sheep)
-Unlike shadow hearts, no real historical places or people are in the game, light on comedy elements

The story seemed more interesting then that, but the show floor was incredibly noisy so I could only clearly make out the outline of the story. Also I get glimpses of much deeper plot going on here, I think Machida's explanation of the story might be different

Battle System:

- To make things fresh and fun for both core and light users: utilizes a very Traditional turn-based rpg system with a quick-time like system(Called Howling Gear) added to it. Basically you have to match up 3 gears at the correct time for every single action you do the better timing, more damage, more effective skills, higher percentage chance of running away, etc.

xb3myree7z8qwlpvcpi91a5.jpg

My impressions of it was certainly it makes things a bit more exciting in a traditional battle system, that could easily become wearisome, but not sure how I'd feel 30 hours in.

- Using items you customize the skills bonus that the howling gears give out.

Cultivation system

-Seems to be a replacement for EXP. You get points for winning battles, you can use these points to help raise up creatures (called Homunculus, The flyer refers to them as gods):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homunculus), raising the creatures gets you new skills and story events from the main characters past.

eyi7repc3om1w9xf48erzko.jpg

The demo was an incredibly short one scene 4 minute story/battle sequence.

Some punk girl along with her trainee is doing trading with shysters merchants, not to happy about being cheated, let's them know "it's time to get killed". But wait! the trainee doesn't like the whole idea of killing the merchants, which then leads the punk girl to let her know "Good then" training time is now, kill the merchants.

Our main character flashes into the scene, battle ensures, which lets you use one skill and attack, using the gear system. Our hero knocks down the merchants takes the merchandise for himself, then knocks down the punk girl(for reasons that is unexplained she turns into a wolf in the battle). then the demo abruptly ends.

duckroll

This game was actually announced in Famitsu a week or two ago. I didn't really care for how it looks, nor am I really interested in it. It's very surprising that this is by Matsuzo Machida, and honestly it feels like a total waste. Hamster is not a good publisher or developer, and since pretty much all the rest of the Shadow Hearts team is at Feel Plus now, it just won't be the same. Oh well, thanks for the information anyway.

duckroll said:
This game was actually announced in Famitsu a week or two ago. .

Yeah, I had the exact same initial impression when I read the 30 word/3 pictures blurb in famitsu last week, looked like just some throw away rpg by Hamster. that's why I was kinda surprised when I found out who the director was. Wondered why they didn't mention it all in the famitsu blurb or on the website

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Yeah, I had the exact same initial impression when I read the 30 word/3 pictures blurb in famitsu last week, looked like just some throw away rpg by Hamster. that's why I was kinda surprised When I found out the director.

Actually, is Machida working at Hamster, or is Hamster publishing a game by a smaller developer? Because I seem to recall (not 100% sure of this) that a few years back after the entire team collapsed and went their separate ways, that the director actually joined some mobile game developer, and worked on some really random stuff.

duckroll said:
Actually, is Machida working at Hamster, or is Hamster publishing a game by a smaller developer? Because I seem to recall (not 100% sure of this) that a few years back after the entire team collapsed and went their separate ways, that the director actually joined some mobile game developer, and worked on some really random stuff.

Initially, i got miscorrect info from some low-level hamster staffer that told me Machida was the producer.

However the Hamster representative(Administration Director) came in told me that the producer is actually Hamster (内のstaff(Hamada Satoshi), Machida is the director and story designer.

beyond that like I said in the OP, She clearly told me he was at hamster when he started work on the game, has since left the company but is still involved in the development. I tried to get more details about what exactly his dealings with the company was, but was soundly rejected as to not wanting to discuss company matters.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
. Long where-abouts Unknown, Matsuzo Machida!, Director and Writer of Shadow Hearts 1 and 2: comes a dark Steam punk RPG.

My man juices are all over this. I need a PSP more now THAN EVER

duckroll

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Initially, i got miscorrect info from some low-level hamster staffer that told me Machida was the producer.

However the Hamster representative(Administration Director) came in told me that the producer is actually Hamster (内のstaff(Hamada Satoshi), Machida is the director and story designer.

beyond that like I said in the OP, She clearly told me he was at hamster when he started work on the game, has since left the company but is still involved in the development. I tried to get more details about what exactly his dealings with the company was, but was soundly rejected as to not wanting to discuss company matters.

I see, thanks for the details!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Announcement had me drooling, duckroll had to bring me back to reality... Still maybe worth a play if it ever gets localized.

sciplore

djtiesto said:
Announcement had me drooling, duckroll had to bring me back to reality... Still maybe worth a play if it ever gets localized.
Agree been looking for a good old-fashioned turn base romp so this seems interesting even if the art style is a bit "meh".

Also I just love how easy to spot a game is on a handheld by the number of posts it will get.

Bebpo

Banned
Machida is what made SH good as evidenced by SH3 and LO.

Looking forward to this. Wonder if SH1/2/3 composer Hirota is gonna score it.

Bebpo said:

Shadow hearts 3 had the best battle music of all time though. Dead fingers talk is amazing.

duckroll

I'm bumping this thread because it's the most relevant thread I can find in regards to discussion about Machida. Checking the credits of Ninety Nine Nights 2, it seems Matsuzo Machida is credited as a scenario writer on it. It's kinda funny, because it means his first reunion with the Shadow Hearts developers is some C-grade action game sequel to a D-grade action game. :/

I wonder if this means Machida is freelance now, or if that Feelplus is actually developing Arm's Heart? It's weird, you would think they would promote it more if they were. Oh well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That makes it even more sad MS gave up on Japan and didn't make LO2 instead of N3-II.

GhaleonQ

duckroll said:
I'm bumping this thread because it's the most relevant thread I can find in regards to discussion about Machida. Checking the credits of Ninety Nine Nights 2, it seems Matsuzo Machida is credited as a scenario writer on it. It's kinda funny, because it means his first reunion with the Shadow Hearts developers is some C-grade action game sequel to a D-grade action game. :/

I wonder if this means Machida is freelance now, or if that Feelplus is actually developing Arm's Heart? It's weird, you would think they would promote it more if they were. Oh well.

You always know how to brighten my day, duckroll.

Bebpo said:

Yet SH3 has the most perfected RPG battle system and incredible music/visuals. So it's all good.

But this sucks, I want Shadow Hearts IV. If that was made, it would blow away anything else in the VG market.

duckroll

What's the story in N3-2 like? Anyone played it to find out? Does it actually feel like the first two Shadow Hearts games in tone and narrative?

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
What's the story in N3-2 like? Anyone played it to find out? Does it actually feel like the first two Shadow Hearts games in tone and narrative?

Why would it feel like SH? It's a gritty muscleman musou game. Just because Machida was writing it, probably doesn't mean a ton.

I mean compared to Arm's Heart where he's the director of the game + writer so it's basically "his" project. This should feel sorta like SH. Either that or he's just playing the SH fanbase by ripping off his own SH style in order to get more sales. It has the same Steampunk brown-gear/paper based visual theme and the main guy looks sort of like a blond Yuri.

shadowhearts_1219_790screen001.jpg

1-033_01.jpg

hpab.jpg

If he can get Hirota on board to do a SH-like soundtrack, it should feel close to SH1. Though whether it's good or not.....hamster :X

Erekiddo

Does this have any chance of coming to NA or PAL territories? I hate reading up on stuff like this, and then realizing we won't see it.

I'm looking at you Xenoblade.

in my mind nothing can be as good or top Shadow Hearts 1 aside from SMT: Nocturne. But I'd buy SHIV in a heartbeat if the team got back together.

Bebpo

Banned
depward said:
I was certainly interested in this due to really enjoying the Shadow Hearts series. Then I watched this YouTube video and all excitement has left.

Gameplay video on YouTube

This looks dreadful!

It looks budget, because obviously it is being a Hamster game, but you can't really tell much about an rpg from watching 1 min tutorial clip of it. It's unfortunate that is the only information on the battle system besides the OP currently released to the public. Nothing wrong with a low budget 2d rpg using EO style still picture battles if it's a good game.

That being said, it's never a good indication when the director of the game quits the company before the game is released :\

Bebpo

Banned
So yeah, I was really really willing to go out on a limb and take one for the team on this since SH2 was basically my favorite rpg last gen.

But 22/40 and the review comments make it sound like an intolerable game to play. I'm all for putting up with ultra-low budget graphics and low content to enjoy a good story and battle system, but the review comments were basically:

"battles are slow and take forever + encounter rate is ridiculously high so the game is awful to play"

with positive comments about "story/worldview is good, gear/ring customization is good"

with hmm comments about "if you don't lineup the gear/ring right you miss your attack and it's annoying"

and with lolz comments like "the graphics are depressing"

Sorry guys. Maybe someone else can grab it? Otherwise I think I'll follow the 2ch impression thread (assuming anyone in Japan even buys it) and see what it's like.

I'm all for playing the occasional bad game, but I have a low patience for games that are a chore to play.

Ra1den

So was this game as bad as people are claiming?

And more importantly, anybody know what Machida has been doing other than this and Ninety Nine Nights 2?

Top Bottom