• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only buy one: A Hat in Time vs Yooka Laylee

poodaddy

Gold Member
Thankfully the spent on Hat in Time is going to exactly none of those.

You might wanna look into Mecha the Slag's history if you believe that; your purchase absolutely supported a verifiable thief, at the very least, and it supported a dev team that has zero problems giving voice to a eugenics supporter and an alt righter, and an alt righter is pretty much a nazi so....well, you do the math.

Game looks great. I ain't buying it as I care where my money goes and who it goes to. You don't? Cool, you do you.

Soren01

I got banned because of these posts.

What I want to say is that the political vision of the one who created or participated of the work does not prevent me from appreciating it.

Mael

I can't imagine the reactions on this forum the day we'll get an insight on the political views of, say, Shigeru Miyamoto.

He's proven to not be stupid enough to make a spectacle out of his disdain to people.
Also we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
And hypothetical "imagine if Bill Gates was for genociding all redheads" ain't gonna make this case look any better anyway.

What I want to say is that the political vision of the one who created or participated of the work does not prevent me from appreciating it.

From your post history, it probably enhanced it.

You mean you're willing to ignore it.

It's not noble, you just don't care if it agrees with you. That's fine, we all have intentional blind spots, but just own up to it.

Ivellios

Everyone is entitled to buy and not buy for their reasons whatsoever, but what bums me even in this thread people claim that A Hat in Time is somehow sending racist messages for not speaking up to what JonTron have said. Maybe if things were different they could spare pissing off either side, but for low budget small indie dev taking a open political side is indeed very risky and being silent is the best course of action.
Some people claimed they have "no balls" for not speaking up, but I'd assume they got mouths to feed and bills to pay.
I'm sure many people here have started to realize if you look back the past year that NeoGAF is very special kind of bubble, and if here taking a side in this seems like the best idea ever, that is so not true in the real world. If even NeoGAF gets its fair share of toxic users, you can only imagine what it is like outside here.
I dunno.. It just really bums me people are using this game as their political shield here when it's one of the best platformers I've played in many years. Such a shame people are willing to miss it, but I guess everyone should do what they feel is right and me crying about it most likely wont change a thing.

At least nobody has the shame to actually recommend Yooka Laylee.

Lol damn, Soren that post history..

I agree with everything you said, and some people on this thread are actually going as far as accusing those who bought the game of being white supremacist supporters, which is just wrong since he does not get any of the profits.

Stalker ;P
1473856636-95b102399dc7506244af547e79e795d4.gif

RockmanBN

I'd say that having your family's addresses exposed online and death threats sent to your family is quite difficult.
Some people seemingly will call you a coward for that though, which is very reasonable statement oh yes

It's not like one main developers have doxxed people in the past.

poodaddy

Gold Member
some people on this thread are actually going as far as accusing those who bought the game of being white supremacist supporters, which is just wrong since he does not get any of the profits.

The thief/doxxer known as Mecha the Slag who was one of the primary developers of the game sure as shit does though. Any opinions on that one, or is it ok to support doxxers and thieves so long as the racist doesn't get any profits?

Indelible

A Hat in Time is a delight to play, the controls feel so good. I haven't played Yooka Laylee yet so I can't comment on its quality.

MUnited83

For you.
You might wanna look into Mecha the Slag's history if you believe that; your purchase absolutely supported a verifiable thief, at the very least, and it supported a dev team that has zero problems giving voice to a eugenics supporter and an alt righter, and an alt righter is pretty much a nazi so....well, you do the math.

Game looks great. I ain't buying it as I care where my money goes and who it goes to. You don't? Cool, you do you.
His voice was recorded several ages before his shitty views were ever it. The devs didn't go out of their way to go "give a voice to a nazi"

BriGuy

I would just bite my tongue and wait two more weeks for Mario. These other games are akin to jacking it when you've got guaranteed mind-blowing sex later that night; why dilute the experience?

Why would you support a spineless studio that wouldn’t even remove a nazi from one of their voice roles?

Yooka Laylee all the way. The complaints are way overblown, although it is a solid 7/10. I would consider Knack 2 as well, it was my suprise gem 3D platformer of the year so far.

poodaddy

Gold Member
The devs didn't go out of their way to go "give a voice to a nazi"

And they sure as shit didn't go out of their way to prevent his gaining of a platform either, though they were fully capable of depriving the bigot of one. I mean, wouldn't you deprive a bigot of their potential platform if you had the ability? Their indifference is an indictment in and of itself.

And you still haven't commented on Mecha the Slag and how much of a pile of garbage he is.....

Glass Rebel

Everyone is entitled to buy and not buy for their reasons whatsoever, but what bums me even in this thread people claim that A Hat in Time is somehow sending racist messages for not speaking up to what JonTron have said. Maybe if things were different they could spare pissing off either side, but for low budget small indie dev taking a open political side is indeed very risky and being silent is the best course of action.
Some people claimed they have "no balls" for not speaking up, but I'd assume they got mouths to feed and bills to pay.
I'm sure many people here have started to realize if you look back the past year that NeoGAF is very special kind of bubble, and if here taking a side in this seems like the best idea ever, that is so not true in the real world. If even NeoGAF gets its fair share of toxic users, you can only imagine what it is like outside here.
I dunno.. It just really bums me people are using this game as their political shield here when it's one of the best platformers I've played in many years. Such a shame people are willing to miss it, but I guess everyone should do what they feel is right and me crying about it most likely wont change a thing.

But they are pissing off a side, as everyone can see in this thread. They just chose to piss off the side that doesn't support killing people of colour.

spad3

Should've seen the JonTron commentary coming.

I don't support JonTron, his beliefs, or anything that he stands for, but a game for gamings sake is what I primarily care about. I know the team that made AHiT was small and couldn't properly handle that whole situation, but I'm sure that the dev team doesn't share the same morals and beliefs as him.

Let's keep it at gameplay, mechanics, length of game, value of dollar spent etc.

I'm getting a lot of YL support because of JonTron hate but I'm also getting AHiT support because the game is apparently better. I'm still at square one here guys

Kudo

I don't support JonTron, his beliefs, or anything that he stands for, but a game for gamings sake is what I primarily care about. I know the team that made AHiT was small and couldn't properly handle that whole situation, but I'm sure that the dev team doesn't share the same morals and beliefs as him.

Let's keep it at gameplay, mechanics, length of game, value of dollar spent etc.

I'm getting a lot of YL support because of JonTron hate but I'm also getting AHiT support because the game is apparently better. I'm still at square one here guys

A Hat in Time it is, most definitely the better choice in all those aspects you mentioned.
Especially if you're buying it for PC where depending on the mod tools they'll soon provide the game will gain long legs.

I'm calling out both, and I'm calling out you if you're either of them. If you think the devs are any better than JonTron then google Mecha the Slag's history of theft and abuse; this whole project is funded by, and continues to enable, horrifically disgusting human beings.

Well thanks for the weird threat?
You are probably refering to those stories:

One being the Jontron issue, the second being again the Jontron issue (their silence on it) and the third one being an old story about the main dev:
Edit: Quote removed, it was taken from the link of that post ^ but the author added more about his doubt that Jonas changed:
Maxof2D has distanced himself from that original 2015 response so I dont know why you're quoting it
edit- just noticed its cus that link goes to the original response and not the recent one he made on twitter like i assumed
Maxime LeBLOOD said:
They're the reason I spoke up. This alone is bad enough, but what I'm hearing *now* about the treatment of fellow artists is... ugh
Am I missing any context? Something on the rest of the team?
So yeah, until further notice, since I can't know what their true intentions are, I think the devs are better than JonTron, if you were asking literally. Or at least not "alt righters, eugenics supporters, nazi sympathizers, and thieves" like you put it. But I guess it was a rhetorical question?
Note that "better than Jontron" don't make them angels. I'm not manichean. You are right about the shady past of the game director guy. [Edit: the same source say he might have a shady present as well.] You are in your right to boycot the game. I also think that they should have removed Jontron before the launch. And I don't support his views, nor his channel.

Well, I mean isn't that the answer you're looking for? If you really want to separate politics from games (something that is getting harder to ignore in this day and age. No matter how much people want to), then according to the posts here AHiT is the better game.

What you choose at the end is all up to you.

Just get Mario Odyssey if you have a Switch.

Sponge

Banned

One's mediocre, the other is better but has sketchy people involved.

I'd still say go with Yooka-laylee

A.J.

Banned
Why would you support a spineless studio that wouldn’t even remove a nazi from one of their voice roles?

Yooka Laylee all the way. The complaints are way overblown, although it is a solid 7/10. I would consider Knack 2 as well, it was my suprise gem 3D platformer of the year so far.

And so it's settled. Knack 2 wins by being the paragon of human morality and gameplay.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Or they don't have the leisure of multi million devs to take a side and piss of either.

A Hat in Time. JonTron's situation means nothing to me. I play games, not politics.

Bury-your-Head-in-the-sand_new.jpg

AHiT is a better game imo. Is this section about games or not?

pearls-before-swine-head-in-sand.jpg

AHiT is a harmless game. GTA and AC are much more controversial games (politically) and almost nobody complains. Gamers, at least.

head-in-sand.jpg

b1b60f3b4c9db25491044cf7e7d4ac11--disagreement-quotes-go-away-quotes.jpg

You can keep living in your little bubble but don't go posting in thread saying "Oh I don't care about a developers political and doesn't stop be from playing these game and it shouldn't bother you too."

It's condescending, if not a little insulting and honestly clearly display that you don't understand why people are annoyed and refusing to buy a Hat in time and why they are annoyed that the developers said nothing on the matter.

Heck we even have one developer from the game commenting on the fact that he's upset that his cohort seemed to be siding with jontron who believes that non-white folks are tainting the gene pool.

No, JonTron's situation means everything to you.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

And Let's forget the cherry on top:

KAXK376.png

Good on you for supporting your own, though.

Well then, I guess his view is clear and simple.

If you only care about gameplay then I can't help as I don't feel comfortable in recommending A hat in Time and I haven't played Yooka-Laylee as the Switch version isn't out yet.

Honestly if you're purely interested in game play then wait 2 more week for Mario Odyssey.

Dunkley

I have personal reasons why I won't buy Hat in Time. I knew MechaTheSlag on a forum years ago and he had a pretty awful past. It went as far him stealing someone's work and doxxing them.

Same, how he treated MaxOfS2D made me lose interest in Hat In Time as early as when he was uploading YouTube videos testing the shading. While I do hope he has changed since then, he was one hell of a jerk back then and I just can't look past that even after so long.

With that said, and I know I called it a modern classic pre-release, Yooka-Laylee didn't really live up to the hype for me, sooo, could I just buy the Banjo games instead of either?

Ivellios

The thief/doxxer known as Mecha the Slag who was one of the primary developers of the game sure as shit does though. Any opinions on that one, or is it ok to support doxxers and thieves so long as the racist doesn't get any profits?

I dont know who he is, i even learned of all of the Jontron debate after i got the game, since i had no idea it existed before launch.

Honest and in no way sarcastic question, do you always read the history of every developer of every game that picks your interest?

Lijik

Well thanks for the weird threat?
You are probably refering to those stories:

One being the Jontron issue, the second being again the Jontron issue (their silence on it) and the third one being an old story about the main dev:

Am I missing any context? Something on the rest of the team?
So yeah, until further notice, since I can't know what their true intentions are, I think the devs are better than JonTron, if you were asking literally. Or at least not "alt righters, eugenics supporters, nazi sympathizers, and thieves" like you put it. But I guess it was a rhetorical question?
Note that "better than Jontron" don't make them angels. I'm not manichean. You are right about the shady past of that guy. You are in your right to boycot the game. I also think that they should have removed Jontron before the launch. And I don't support his views, nor his channel.

Maxof2D has distanced himself from that original 2015 response so I dont know why you're quoting it
edit- just noticed its cus that link goes to the original response and not the recent one he made on twitter like i assumed

Sponge

Banned
Same, how he treated MaxOfS2D made me lose interest in Hat In Time as early as when he was uploading YouTube videos testing the shading. While I do hope he has changed since then, he was one hell of a jerk back then and I just can't look past that even after so long.

That's how I'm feeling about it. I had considered giving it a second look since this was years ago and people can change, but this Jontron situation really hasn't changed my stance.

Because it was brought up earlier in this thread. I was unaware that the post was obsolete. In which way?
Edit2: thank you, so the author tried to calm the situation back then, but only because it hurt them, and doesn't think the director changed much.

I don't see what you getting banned for them has to do with you saying them in the first place. Getting punished by staff doesn't absolve you of the BS you spewed multiple times. You got banned and kept talking, so try not flapping your gums for once.

And separating the art from the artist is only ever brought up when the artist is a shitty human being and the fan doesn't want to give them up yet still wants to sleep well at night. But as you've proven, you specifically don't need to separate anyone from anything, so why bother?

Honestly I wouldn't recommend either. One because enabling racists and the other because I haven't played it.

Why restrict yourself to just those two games though? Have you played Snake Pass? It's pretty swell.

Kudo

:lol

Alright already GAF, your marketing worked.
a2spb.jpg

I was going to wait for a possible Switch port but the game just sounds too good. Maybe I'll double dip if it happens.

You made the right choice.
If Switch port ever happens it's definitely game worth double dipping for, hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

L Thammy

This thread is going to be exhausting, isn't it?

Man, I wasn't interested in YL at all but if I had to buy it or AHiT, I'd buy Yooka-Laylee twice. Fuck JonTron and his enablers.

No, JonTron's situation means everything to you.

MxWGEaP.png

NIHDBsz.png

QKI3dlW.png

And Let's forget the cherry on top:

KAXK376.png

Good on you for supporting your own, though.

Hoo boy.

You mean you're willing to ignore it.

It's not noble, you just don't care if it agrees with you. That's fine, we all have intentional blind spots, but just own up to it.

This is where I'm at. If you're going to buy the game, buy the game. If it's better it's better. But don't act like you're special or taking the high ground because you're choosing not to take a moral stance. You're not going to get any respect for it.

Lijik

Because it was brought up earlier in this thread. I was unaware that the post was obsolete. In which way?
Edit: I quoted it because it clearly shows that it's an "old story" that even the author want to bury.

Sorry if you didnt catch my edit before responding (and sorry for the tone I originally took) but this part is no longer the case

Wildo09

Fuck a Hat in Time, bunch of cowards. And Yooka Laylee is pretty mediocre. I wouldn't buy either and instead I'd play Super Mario Galaxy again to get me hyped, that game is gameplay perfection.

Sorry if you didnt catch my edit before responding (and sorry for the tone I originally took) but this part is no longer the case

Yup, caught your edit, re-edited my messages and inserted your post. Missing something? I get the tone, correcting/updating is important (especially when it's about people).

Maximo

:lol

Alright already GAF, your marketing worked.
a2spb.jpg

I was going to wait for a possible Switch port but the game just sounds too good. Maybe I'll double dip if it happens.

This is the stuff I don't like, taking a smug position about it or buying it for the sake of *Well all the outage just makes me want to buy it now*, the dismissing of people's reasons for not purchasing it as somehow silly or perhaps downplaying them.

Adnor

Banned
A Hat in Time looks cool and all, but I'll wait for a good sale or a humble bundle where I can direct the money to someone else.

Comparing the games simply at face value, Yooka Laylee is dull and lacks the charm of Banjo Kazooie, it takes after Tooie which itself had many structural problems back in the day. A Hat in Time is the most charming 3D platformer I've played in a decade, it takes the right inspiration from Mario Sunshine and Banjo Kazooie. YL is the longer game, however AHiT is supposedly getting some free worlds as DLC and does have Workshop support.

I'd never heard of A Hat in Time until seeing a stream on Twitch the other day, and my "on a whim" purchases usually go poorly so the game has been a real surprise. While I do feel icky about the purchase having found out about all this shit surrounding the devs and JT afterwards, I'll be totally honest, part of me is glad that I didn't miss out on playing it.

Well it seems like you answered your own question. People that have played both say A Hat in Time is the better game.... so get that one? Do you want the mediocre game or the pretty good game?

Top Bottom