• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reviews SSBB: Best Nintendo Game Yet?

Basch

A forum member by the name of Ezz has posted excerpts from the review over on the Nintendo NSider2 Forums:

"I'm ecstatic to report... that Brawl isn't just amazing, and it isn't just one of the best titles on Wii, but it's one of the very best games that Nintendo has ever produced."

The single biggest new addition to Brawl is The Subspace Emissary, a vastly expanded adventure mode that by itself is well worth the price of admission. Just imagine if you'd never heard of the Smash series, but someone told you that nintendo made a side-scrolling action/adventure game starring all of its top characters-you'd flip out, right? And to think, Brawl throws it in as a bonus! I can't stress enough that this mode isn't some fluffed-out afterthought- it's packed with loads of enemies and stage types, offers incredible boss battles, supports two-player co-op, and has lots of classic Nintendo references for long-time fans to geek out over. The cinema scenes are gorgeous and contain a long list of cool and funny moments, and I'm pretty sure that Brawl has more cinemas than all other Nintendo games ever made combined. The Subspace Emissary takes longer than many top stand-alone action games to finish, and even more play value can be found in clearing each stage on harder difficulties."

It's a testmament to the talent of the developers that I even enjoy playing as Diddy Kong- I've always hated that guy."

The game's control feels smoother than Melee's; you're less likely to accidentally jerk a quick character off a ledge. And, being the type of Melee player that never totally clicked with pressing up on the analog stick to jump, the game plays much better for me now that Brawl has the option to make jumps button-only"

Maybe, if I set my mind to it, I could scrounge up some negative things to say about the game, some details that could've used a tiny bit more polish. But against the grand scope of how much Brawl does amazingly well, any other possible concerns would be trivial at best. To deny this game a 10 purely for the sake of shying away from the top of our review scale would be a shameful disservice to one of the greatest gaming achievements in years. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this"

- Chris Slate

Final Score: 10/10

Source: NSider2 Forums

For the Ones Who Do Not Believe (Proof of Review, at least as close as you will get.)

10702kw.jpg

Before anyone says that 'of course it would get 10/10 from Nintendo Power', the new editorial staff has been pretty harsh on games.

Basch

birdman said:
Nintendo Power giving a Nintendo IP top scoring? I've never heard of such a thing.

Metroid Prime 3 was the last game to get a perfect score. They don't hand 'em out too often. Plus, its Chris Slate. He's a good guy. I like reading his reviews. The content is what matters, anyways. :D

GreenNight said:
Before anyone says that 'of course it would get 10/10 from Nintendo Power', the new editorial staff has been pretty harsh on games.

Agreed. Almost too harsh.

Davidion

Makes me hopeful, but I'll wait for the other critics to chime in. If it's as great as some of us hope it is, then we should see the consensus pretty easily.

Firestorm

Basch said:
Metroid Prime 3 was the last game to get a perfect score. They don't hand 'em out too often. Plus, its Chris Slate. He's a good guy. I like reading his reviews. The content is what matters, anyways. :D

Only game if you don't count the reviews during their out of 5 stars era. Although under the new management, this is the first game to get a 10/10.

But it's no news. SSBB is game of the forever. What else is new?

birdchili

Just imagine if you'd never heard of the Smash series, but someone told you that nintendo made a side-scrolling action/adventure game starring all of its top characters-you'd flip out, right?
so you've never heard of smash... but the idea of action adventure full of nintendo characters is compelling to you...

Neomoto

Basch said:
The single biggest new addition to Brawl is The Subspace Emissary, a vastly expanded adventure mode that by itself is well worth the price of admission. Just imagine if you'd never heard of the Smash series, but someone told you that nintendo made a side-scrolling action/adventure game starring all of its top characters-you'd flip out, right? And to think, Brawl throws it in as a bonus! I can't stress enough that this mode isn't some fluffed-out afterthought- it's packed with loads of enemies and stage types, offers incredible boss battles, supports two-player co-op, and has lots of classic Nintendo references for long-time fans to geek out over. The cinema scenes are gorgeous and contain a long list of cool and funny moments, and I'm pretty sure that Brawl has more cinemas than all other Nintendo games ever made combined. The Subspace Emissary takes longer than many top stand-alone action games to finish, and even more play value can be found in clearing each stage on harder difficulties."
Just when I thought I couldn't get more hyped about the game.. (AFTER I found a shitload of fuckawesome ingamemusic yesterday), I read this.

It's really fucking hard to not see spoilers about it too, but so far I've somehow managed to not spoil SSE for me (that wasn't on the dojo of course).

I seriously can not wait for this game. If there was one game that would justify the costs of importing a USA console to Europe and everything, this would be it.

Redd

If SSBB's almost as good as Melee with online than it'll be my Game of the Year unless MGS4 wows me like MGS1.

test_account

XP-39C²
The first SSBB review in Nintendo Power and they dont have SSBB artwork on the cover? I guess they are saving it for the next issue when its closer to the release date :) Anyway, 10 out of 10 is a great score! :)

Jiggy

Neomoto said:
Just when I thought I couldn't get more hyped about the game.. (AFTER I found a shitload of fuckawesome ingamemusic yesterday), I read this.
Only that much? You can find all
songs right now. >_>

mr stroke

Basch said:
"I'm ecstatic to report... that Brawl isn't just amazing, and it isn't just one of the best titles on Wii, but it's one of the very best games that Nintendo has ever produced."

Final Score: 10/10

So I guess its worth buying a Wii just for Smash uh?
hmmmm...

Firestorm

It seems odd that the review is by Chris Slate though. He's the editor in chief isn't he? I don't usually read reviews, but has he reviewed any game so far?

mCACGj

Basch said:
"And, being the type of Melee player that never totally clicked with pressing up on the analog stick to jump, the game plays much better for me now that Brawl has the option to make jumps button-only"

Did he even play Melee? X and Y were both jump only buttons.

Basch

Firestorm said:
It seems odd that the review is by Chris Slate though. He's the editor in chief isn't he? I don't usually read reviews, but has he reviewed any game so far?

He used to be the editor-in-chief of PSM. He did a ton of reviews there. That's what I was referring to. My NP subscription has run out. :(

Gigglepoo said:
What'd they say?

They didn't think too highly of it. Let's just leave it at that.

Vinci

Danish
*drools*

Oh my god. I'm so glad I got this damn thing paid off months ago. Saves me the effort of finding a way to fit it into my budget now.

Firestorm said:

Firestorm.. off-topic but is Trade 3 at EB for select games still going on?

Gigglepoo said:
What'd they say?

on Wii-k Podcast, said that SSE mode sucked.

Firestorm

DevelopmentArrested said:
So.. IGN full of shit after all?
Did you not watch them play? Or their complaints? They were full of shit. Hell, they complained SSE had new enemies. If the SSE didn't have new enemies they'd complain "lol sse needed original enemies lazy developers re-using old ideas"

DevelopmentArrested said:
Firestorm.. off-topic but is Trade 3 at EB for select games still going on?

Yes. Brawl's on the list still as well.

Firestorm said:
Did you not watch them play? Or their complaints? They were full of shit. Hell, they complained SSE had new enemies. If the SSE didn't have new enemies they'd complain "lol sse needed original enemies lazy developers re-using old ideas"

Yes. Brawl's on the list still as well.

Okay, thanks.

Jiggy

mCACGj said:
Did he even play Melee? X and Y were both jump only buttons.
He's talking about the ability to disable even the option to jump by pressing up, so that no mistakes can be made.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
He's talking about the ability to disable even the option to jump by pressing up, so that no mistakes can be made.

I still jump with the stick sometimes. I'm an old school SSB player at heart I guess

Cynar

HK-47 said:
I still jump with the stick sometimes. I'm an old school SSB player at heart I guess

I don't see what's old school about pressing up for jump since you could jump with the c buttons in n64(which I've always done) and x or y in melee. Mistakes can be made when doing up tilts if you have up for jump enabled.

I welcome disabling that with open arms. :D

Dever

Banned
Sweet. I would really like to hear what it's like playing with the Wii remote though. Anyone know if I am doomed to lose to people with GC controllers for eternity?

Teknoman

Sorry for derailing but:

THAT was the big reveal? Tales of Symphonia 2? I mean sure they renamed the english release to Dawn of the New World instead of Knight of Ratatosk, and it confirms that its coming to North America...but damn, I thought it was supposed to be some MINDBLOWING thing that no one knew of besides Nintendo Power.

Ok, things can go back on track now...just had to say that after seeing the cover.

Vinci

Danish
Teknoman said:
Sorry for derailing but:

THAT was the big reveal? Tales of Sympohnia 2? I mean sure they renamed the english release, and it confirms that its coming to North America...but damn, I thought it was supposed to be some MINDBLOWING thing that no one knew of besides Nintendo Power.

Ok, things can go back on track now...just had to say that after seeing the cover.

Um ... there's an entire thread just about that though.

batbeg

Teknoman said:
Sorry for derailing but:

THAT was the big reveal? Tales of Sympohnia 2? I mean sure they renamed the english release, and it confirms that its coming to North America...but damn, I thought it was supposed to be some MINDBLOWING thing that no one knew of besides Nintendo Power.

There's actually a thread to whine about this in :)

Firestorm

Dever said:
Sweet. I would really like to hear what it's like playing with the Wii remote though. Anyone know if I am doomed to lose to people with GC controllers for eternity?

More than 90% of impressions I've read say Wii Remote sucks.

Teknoman

batbeg said:
There's actually a thread to whine about this in :)

Really? Eh should've known that... Sorry about that then.

Firestorm said:
More than 90% of impressions I've read say Wii Remote sucks.

Wiimote only was destined to suck. Now Nunchuck+Wiimote should play just fine compared to the other two control schemes.

Top Bottom