• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOW TO HELP:

http://playforjapan.org/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_newsroom/20110311/wl_yblog_newsroom/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-how-to-help

The quake — the world's fifth largest since 1900, according to the U.S. Geological Survey — struck at 2.46 p.m. local time.

Hazaro said:

http://disaster.yahoo.co.jp/1299822553/meteo.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/earthquake/index.html

JLG-

Damn, hearing stuff like this is always scary especially since I live in socal and we are due for a big one.

3phemeral

There was a 7.2 off Honshu your Wednesday sometime early morning. I was having a teleconference meeting when they had to rush out because the building was shaking.

Holy shit...hopefully the damage isn't to bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Japan's infrastructure was built around being able to withstand earthquakes.

Finaika

Yeah I've felt the earthquake here (Tokyo). Biggest ever in my life. Hopefully everything will be ok now.

Steelrain

I'm in Tokyo and my apartment was rocking like crazy. It was really strong. I'm on the 6th floor too. Wow that was scary lol. Hope everyone is ok.

I'm in Nagoya and my office was just swaying side-to-side for like 3 minutes. It felt like I was on a boat! Weird feeling. Hope everybody is ok!

Finaika said:
Ok so what should I do now? I'm currently in my apartment, should I go out or something? Help GAF!

If you are in Tokyo you should be fine, I'd suggest waiting for aftershocks to subside though for doing anything

Steelrain

Finaika said:
Ok so what should I do now? I'm currently in my apartment, should I go out or something? Help GAF!

I'm just chilling lol. My bathroom and kitchen are a fucking mess now though -_-

These aftershocks aren't helping matters.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I was just gonna post about this!! One of my best friends is stationed in Japan and said he felt it... like 5 minutes of intense shaking he added. Wow.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
holy fuck

gp1QJ.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finaika said:

Go sleep in a field far from tall stuff and wires.

God damn, a friend of mine is teaching in Japan. Fucking worried as shit for him. He lives on a small island. I don't know if it's on the west or east coast though!

Of course, the phone call is sent straight to voice mail.

Edit: Appears to be on the west coast of Japan. I feel a little better now.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My friend just said he got another big aftershock. Not that intense but everything moved. Damn

Japan's meteorological agency warned that a tsunami as high as 20 feet (6 meters) could strike the coast near Miyagi prefecture, closest to the epicenter. Smaller tsunamis of up to 50 centimeters reached some coastal communities, the agency said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and U.S. state of Hawaii.

The quake struck at 2:46 p.m. at a depth of 10 kilometers, about 80 miles (125 kilometers) off the eastern coast, the meteorological agency said. The area is 240 miles (380 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.
Wheew. 80 miles offshore makes a big difference.

It shouldn't be too bad then . . . unless they get a Tsunami.

quin

it looks like a few buildings in odaiba are burning and miyagi is expecting a 10meter tsunami it sounds like

they are showing live footage of the tsunami in iwate right now. maybe 12 feet high it looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom