• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jl5mvr.jpg

screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg
screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg
screen5.jpg
screen6.jpg

Alternate Title: DARKSIDERS | The Official Thread | I Can Separate With A Vertical Line, Too!

Thread by ZealousD. Thanks to Tokubetsu for helping with the banner and general assisstance.

generalinformation2.jpg

boxart360.jpg
boxartps3.jpg

Note: The subtitle "Wrath of War" was removed during development. It may be omitted when referring to the game's full title.

Website | http://www.darksiders.com
Facebook | http://www.facebook.com/Darksiders
Twitter | http://twitter.com/darksiders

Release Date
NA | January 5, 2010 (Street Dated)
EUR|AUS | January 7, 2010
ASIA | January 8, 2010

(PAL-GAF, check your local retailers. I sometimes got different answers for the release date in your countries)

Platforms | Xbox 360, Playstation 3
Genre | Action-Adventure (More on this later)
Developer | Vigil Games
Publisher | THQ (JPN: Konami)
Notable Talent | Joe Madureira, Mark Hamill

360 Achievements | http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/darksiders-wrath-of-war/achievements/
PS3 Trophies | http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/darksiders/trophies/

Content Rating
NA (ESRB) | M for Mature - Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Suggestive Themes
BBFC (UK) | 15
EUR (PEGI)| 16+
AUS (OFLC) | MA15+
JPN (CERO) | RP

No regional censorship has been reported.

whatisdarksiders2.jpg

Sadly, some people have misconceptions about Darksiders. Early videos and screenshots could make the game look like a rather standard action game, similar to games like God of War or Devil May Cry. Now honestly, I myself never had ANY problems with this. But, there is actually a lot more to Darksiders than it initially appears.

Actually, Darksiders resembles a large scale adventure game, similar to something like the Legend of Zelda. You'll progress through Darksiders by exploring the overworld, going into dungeons, solving puzzles, finding new items, and defeating impressive bosses.

This is of course, in addition to the combat system. Vigil even contracted out the lead combat designer in the first two God of War games, Eric Williams, to assist in fleshing it out. There are lots of weapons to use, and you can even swap and use them in combos on the fly. Customization of the combat is also important in Darksiders. There are weapon upgrades, attachable enhancements, and special abilities to find and purchase throughout the game.

Variety is the name of the game in Darksiders. The game even includes on-rails shooting segments inspired by games like Panzer Dragoon and StarFox, and there's even 3rd person shooting segments that call to mind Ratchet and Clank.

And of course, there's the unique style. The post-biblical apocalypse setting of the game was created by Joe Madureira, known for his work in comics on The Uncanny X-Men, Battle Chasers, and and others.

Vigil Games Lead Designer Haydn Dalton talks about the difficulties of communicating the game on his blog:

I guess one problem we've had through the development of Darksiders is getting people to understand what it is. Early on, and even up to quite recently, we've released a lot of action/combat videos. Due to this fact, the public are judging the game based on other action heavy games. If combat was our main goal, then this is justified, but we're attempting so much more than just focused action.

If high octane action all the time is what you want, then people may be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredibly intense sequences in Darksiders, but there's also plenty of puzzle solving, adventuring and traversal to be done too. We wanted players to feel stripped of their powers, to be vulnerable, but then slowly unfold the world around them as their abilities begin to flourish and their own skill levels increase.

The best analogy, gameplay-wise I could give for Darksiders would be; a mature Zelda (more action with some blood). To some, this may not seem that interesting, but to me, and other people at Vigil, it's an awesome goal to attempt to achieve.

videos2.jpg

The game was announced over 2 years ago. As such, some videos may not be representative of the finished product. The newer and more relevant videos tend to be listed first in each category.

Official Trailers
Story/Game Overview Trailer
UK Launch Trailer
Accolades Launch Trailer
TV Commercial
Heads Will Roll Trailer
Shocking Moments Gameplay Trailer
Hunted by Heaven, Hated by Hell Trailer
Mayhem Trailer
Turmoil Trailer
Vengeance Trailer
Game Intro Trailer
The Apocalypse Cinematic Trailer
Comic-Con Cinematric Trailer

Hellbook Trailers
Hellbook 1 | The Horsemen's Road (Wrath Powers and Abilities)
Hellbook 2 | War's Arsenal (Weapons and Items)
Hellbook 3 | The Hordes of Hell (Enemies)
Hellbook 4 | Ruin (Steeds)

Video Previews | Walkthroughs
IGN Live 30 Minute Demo
GameTrailers Video Preview
IGN Video Preview
Giant Bomb Quick Look
Gamespot UK Video Preview
GameTrailers Comic-Con 09 Exclusive Walkthrough | 1, 2, 3
Gamespot E3 2009 Walkthrough
IGN Walkthrough

Gameplay Clips
Dungeoneering Gameplay
Big Hurt Gameplay
Guns N Gadgets Gameplay
Combat Gameplay, Machinima.com "Headshot"
Puzzle-Solving Gameplay
Graveyard Combat Gameplay
Downtown Gameplay
Welcome Party Gameplay
Panzer Griffon Gameplay
Ratchet and War Gameplay
"Can I Pay With Souls?" Gameplay
Demon Slaying Gameplay

Dev Diaries | Interviews
Classic Adventure Interview
Joe Mad Interview Trailer | Part 2
GameSpot Start/Select Gameplay Interview with Joe Mad
War Character Bio (with Liam O'Brian)
The Watcher Character Bio (with Mark Hamill)
Dev Diary: Gameplay Design
Dev Diary: The 4 Horsemen
1UP Interview
GT E3 09 Joe Mad Interview
Gamespot TGS 09 Joe Mad Interview
GT PAX 09 Waleed Kamel Interview

storycharacters2.jpg

waaaaar-1.jpg

warstanding2.jpg

And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth,
and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword.

-Revelation 6:4

I am he who is described in this passage. I am War, one of the Four Horsemen. Ruin is my steed.

My destiny as a Horsemen is to be the hand of the Charred Council. We are the enforcers of the laws that maintain order and balance in the universe. The law is clear. When the seventh seal is broken, The Four Horsemen must ride forth and punish the wicked. Be they man, demon, or even angel, all shall receive the judgment of the Horsemen.

But the seals were broken before the proper time. The Charred Council charged me with prematurely starting Armageddon. But I know that I am not to blame. I must find the truth and restore the balance between Heaven and Hell.

I convinced the council to send me back to Earth. Either I prove my innocence or I am slaughtered by the demons. 100 years have passed and Armageddon is over. My power is now limited and I currently lack my steed. But, I must press on. Who is the true culprit behind the early Apocalypse? How can I restore the balance? And where are the other Horsemen, Strife, Fury, and Death? I need answers, and I will scour the Earth until I find them.

watchercharportrait2.gif

Though the council allowed me to return to Earth, it was not without conditions. My powers are largely gone, and I am shackled to their servant, The Watcher. I must bear his presence, as the council gave The Watcher the power to end my life if he saw fit.

Though he occasionally helps in my search for answers, I largely wish this wicked creature was no more. He delights in the suffering of others. His mouth is filled with poisonous insults and sarcastic remarks. I long for the day when his leash is broken and his cruelty is paid in kind.

samaelcharportrait2.gif

Amongst the most wicked demons of Hell, is Samael. Under normal circumstances, he would receive his just reward, courtesy of The Horsemen. But these circumstances are anything but normal, and he knows much. He could be the key to unraveling this mystery.

Samael is of terrible power. His wings are hideously inverted, a cruel mockery of the angels he has battled against for so long. But angels are not all he has battled against. He rejected the rule of The Destroyer, and thus has been imprisoned by Hell. I must break him from his prison, and find out what he knows.

vulgrimcharportrait2.gif

Vulgrim is a glutton. Not of food, but of souls. This warped demon craves for the lost souls of man, demon, and angel alike. His appetite is insatiable. But he has much power.

As I kill the demons that stand in my way of finding answers, I can trade their souls to Vulgrim for various powers and artifacts. Perhaps through him, I can regain much of what I have lost.

urielcharportrait2.gif

The angels that appeared during the premature Armageddon were lead by the Archangel Abaddon. But Abaddon's life was taken by a large demon during the battle, and they place the blame upon my shoulders.

Uriel leads them now. She and her band of angelic warriors now hunt me. But I am not their real enemy. I must find those truly responsible for the early Apocalypse, and Uriel and her angels shall not stand in my way.

These are not the only souls that I will encounter. My task will be long and difficult. It will not be easy. Help is little, and obstacles are everywhere. I am hunted by heaven, and hated by hell.

preorder2.jpg

2koftx.jpg
a4c2zm.jpg

GameStop|EBGames "Guide to the Underworld", 100 page book featuring
  • Graphic Novel | Prequel based upon Joe Madureira’s epic vision of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
  • Concept Art | Exclusive in-depth look at the creation of the epic Darksiders.
  • Exclusive Fold Out Poster | Original concept art created by Joe Madureira.
  • Weapons Feature | Master the weapons of Darksiders with this exclusive guide
  • The Harvester | Code to unlock exclusive in-game weapon. This powerful weapon belongs to the rider of the pale horse. Its enormous, fearsome blade can cleave through flesh, bone, and even the ethereal demons of Hell. Though its jagged blade is deadly, the power locked within makes its master like unto a god. It can also cut through an aluminum can, and never needs sharpening. Note: The code for unlocking The Harvester is universal. Once you obtain the game, go into the in-game options and choose "Enter Code". Type in the code "The Hollow Lord". This code is space and case-sensitive. After that, the weapon will be available for sale from Vulgrim.

Amazon.com (US) | Play.com (UK) | You'll receive a Ruin Head Mask and War Costume for either your Xbox Live avatar or your PlayStation Network Home avatar. May be available at other retailers.

GameCrazy (US) | JB-HIFI (AUS) | You'll receive a 7" War Figurine, complete with Chaos Eater sword. May be available at other retailers.

Preorder specials may be available at other brick-and-mortar and online retailers. Please be sure to check your local retailers to determine preorder bonus specials and availability.

ZealousD

bonusmedia2.jpg

2yo4fbd.jpg

Darksiders Fankit | Includes wallpapers, a screensaver, and AIM Icons.
http://www.yourlastdays.com/#/media-fan-kit

154c0b9.jpg

Old Fankit Wallpapers | These wallpapers were in the first fankits, but were inexplicably changed and removed. I've made them available on MegaUpload.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y424REGO

av0xms.jpg

Your Last Days Contest Entries | THQ ran a contest on DeviantArt for people to post their interpretation of the end of the world.
http://browse.deviantart.com/contests/2009/darksiders/?order=9&offset=0

faq.jpg

Q | So how exactly is the game like Zelda?
A | Darksiders has most of the elements that are characteristic the gameplay of Zelda games. There's a large overworld, dungeons, puzzles, special items, bosses, these sorts of things. There are no hub towns with extensive NPC interaction, though. Videos show lots of combat because combat makes more more exiting trailers, but Darksiders is just as much of an adventure game as it is an action game.

Q | Will there be a demo for Darksiders?
A | There will be no demo. Developers have stated that they feel they cannot accurately represent the spirit of the game within the time frame of a short demo.

Q | How long is the game?
A | Pre-release estimates put the average game around 15 hours. Completionists may take even longer.

Q | Does this game have any RPG elements?
A | There's some light RPG elements. Weapons upgrades, new abilities, new gear items, and some customization. Think Zelda but maybe a bit more flexible.

Q | How closely does the story follow the Book of Revelation?
A | Darksiders takes inspiration from elements from Revelation, but is not anywhere close to an adaptation. Some names and concepts are used but ultimately the story is totally original.

Q | Any multiplayer modes?
A | Vigil had experimented with possibly including a multiplayer mode, but decided that it would be best for the game to be focused as an epic single-player adventure games.

Q | What game engine is Darksiders running on?
A | Darksiders uses an engine that was developed in-house at Vigil Games. The game uses Havok for physics but otherwise does not use extensive middleware.

Q | Should I get the 360 or PS3 version?
A | It'll depend on your individual preferences. The PS3 version is a bit washed out when compared to the Xbox 360 version, a common difference for most PS3 multiplatform games. However, the 360 version suffers from some very bad screen tearing. The developers are working on a patch to resolve the tearing issues, but if you want to buy the game now and hate tearing, get it on PS3.

Q | This game looks like WoW?
A | Well, sorta. Darksiders isn't intentionally aping Blizzard, if that's what you are wondering. The art of the game is inspired by the comic book style illustrations of Joe Mad. Blizzard also has concept artists that create stuff that look like they're straight out of comic books, so there is some similarities in the comic book style.

Q | Isn't this coming out the same day as Bayonetta?
A | Yes. January 5th.

Q | So why should I buy this game instead of Bayone...
A | *SLAP!* This is the DARKSIDERS Official Thread. Please do not muck up the thread by making forced comparisons. They are different games with different sensibilities and different styles. Both are great.

Q | So when is Joe Mad going to finish Battle Chasers?
A | He probably won't. He quit comics so he could start making games. Unless Darksiders is a huge bomba and Vigil falls apart, he's going to be busy.

Q | What's with this OT's alternate title? Why are there so many vertical lines?
A | Recent research at the University of Cambridge has shown that the more vertical lines your OT contains, the more awesome the OT and the game becomes. Colons, slashes, and dashes have officially gone out of style and use of these punctuation marks degrade the quality of the OT. See the Uncharted 2 and Final Fantasy XIII threads for examples of good OTs. You may also notice that the Tony Hawk Ride OT contains no vertical lines, and in fact uses 2 dashes in the thread title instead.

earlyimpressions2.jpg

IGN Previews
Now, if Darksiders isn't really on your radar, you might get the impression that it's a pure action game, but that's not the case at all - it's also very much an adventure title with a classic Zelda-esque structure. This is a hybrid that takes elements from a number of great series' – Zelda, Devil May Cry, God of War, but uses them with care, and importantly, has its own distinct style. Definitely one to keep an eye on as we approach its early January release.

GameInformer Preview
Darksiders was first announced over two years ago, but it seems like the increased development time has been well spent. Vigil has created an impressively large world, a dynamic combat system, and imbued each character and creature with a distinct comic book vibe. If all of these elements continue to come together during the next few months, living through the apocalypse could be an excellent way to ring in the new year.

1UP Preview
What's our take? War's savage finishing moves have me giddy for a dark, gory take on Zelda's adventuring.

CVG Preview
My trip to the darkside of gaming was a real blast and it left me with the feeling that this is certainly not going to be a solo gaming effort if Darksiders is a success (Randhawa hinted that there was still more story to tell). The experience suggested that Kratos may have some stiff competition for the War God Crown come Christmas 2009. Ancient Greek bodybuilder or the ultimate Biblical bad boy? Who will you be betting on?

GAF poster "batbeg"
The game has proven more of a challenge than I'd expected it. I was dying quite frequently in the second and third demos (the third one, I was told, was quite early on in the game). I'm very happy with the challenge, although some of it seemed to derive from excessively high HP on enemies. There are difficulty levels though, I think, if you don't enjoy that.

The dungeon in the third demo was fantastic. The design itself wasn't particularly noteworthy; there was a lot of running down a corridor for something, turning around, and going back. But there were loads of puzzles, and even boss and mini-boss fights prove to be a puzzle. It was large, too. I ended up spending probably 2 hours in that dungeon :lol

The art is fantastic. Despite the over-the-top epic scale of everything it has very vibrant, rich colors. The environments vary from sparse and empty to pretty good looking, so far as I've seen. It never seems like it detracts from anything even in the emptier spots, though.

There is a shitload to do. Loads to collect, loads of weapons or methods of attack, loads of upgrades. They said it averages at about 25-30 hours and while I'm sure the rule of exaggeration always applies... I'm almost willing to believe them, based on the great dungeon I explored and the incredible amount of content.

The voices are fantastic. But you should already know that.

Principal complaints I had (besides the ocassional odd bug):
+ Lots of things are meant to be interacted with in the environment, but don't stick out at all, which led me and others to sometimes wandering lost until noticing it. Perhaps the eye will be accustomed to these things as the gameplay continues, but I wasn't so sure.
+ Controls are slightly "off". I and the guy next to me seemed to die a lot by falling lava, because we ended up walking into it instead of jumping. It can be accustomed to, but shouldn't have to be.
+ Too easily swarmed. In the second demo especially, enemies were crawling up the cliffside behind you whilst you were meant to be wielding a gun which makes turning around very impractical.

On the whole... I fucking loved it. Definitely lives up to my expectation of a God of Zelda game. My time with the game has confirmed the day one purchase.

TotalPlaystation.com Preview by GAF poster SamBishop
Plenty of games have attempted to incorporate elements from Metroidvania outings or borrow the combat fundamentals from a Devil May Cry, but rarely do they do them justice. By contrast, Darksiders displays a kind of even-handedness and attention to detail that's excessively rare in any genre; just when combat starts to get a little dry, a shooting section crops up. When puzzle sections of a particular dungeon pop up, enemies ebb, allowing you to suss out exactly what needs to be done to progress. Level designs tuck pathways back into main areas to avoid backtracking, elements like switches and levels are logically -- even creatively -- woven in to the dungeon designs themselves and everything just feels... right.

reviews2.jpg

METACRITIC | XBOX 360 83 | PS3 82
GAMERANKINGS | XBOX 360 83.74 | PS3 83.23

9|10 TeamXbox Editor's Choice
Finishing Darksiders was one of those great reliefs quickly followed by a refreshed desire to play it again. It’s a really long game for one of its type. My first playthrough took just over 20 hours, and that is without collecting every last item and maxing out the level of all weapons. If I go back and do that, it’s probably going to take at least another 10. And, yet, Darksiders was so much fun that I would happily do it again. There are some blemishes here and there, but they are technical in nature. Everything else about this game, from the concept through the execution, is unequivocally great. Darksiders is a great way to kick off the decade.

8.5|10 GameInformer
Even without a clear narrative purpose, Darksiders never wavers from being an enjoyable adventure. I had a blast playing it, and strangely enough, the obvious nods to other games added to the fun. Despite a lame last boss fight, the setup planted for the sequel has me counting the days until it arrives.

8.4|10 GameTrailers
Darksiders has a lot of staples in its stable. And, yes there's even a horse. And a flying section. And even some gun segments. They're all fun, but nothing to blog home about. It's able to emulate its idols very well, so whatever War is doing, it's bound to be enjoyable. But anyone who's attracted to this sort of game, or action games in general, is going to feel more familiar than floored.

8|10 Eurogamer
Still, while on the surface of it Darksiders feels like a game with a lot of good ideas but only a few of its own, where even a brief flying section on an angelic mount owes rather a lot to Panzer Dragoon, overall the silly old story and wonderful art style give terrific heft to the universe, and the clockwork of the puzzles and game systems are precision-engineered in a manner that you come to trust implicitly. It may be a game of betrayal and redemption, but you won't feel hard done by if you choose to begin 2010 in its company.

8.0|10 GameSpot
Darksiders unapologetically borrows gameplay ideas and mechanics from all over the spectrum and is constantly cramming new ones in all the way up to the very end. While it's not innovative by any stretch of the imagination, neither is it entirely derivative, as these myriad features not only gel together surprisingly well, but when put together even feel fresh again. Though it's hobbled by a disappointing story and excessively complex controls (as well as some technical issues on the Xbox 360), Darksiders is a fun and entertaining adventure with a host of fair but challenging puzzles, a lengthy single-player campaign, and an engaging combat system.

4|5 GameSpy
Darksiders isn't a God of War clone (as most coverage might have you believe), but is instead more a fusion of God of War and the Legend of Zelda. Combine these two unlikely partners with a handful of great game design derivatives --
like the ability to slow time and wield portal guns
-- and you get a game that, by all rights, should have suffered greatly for trying to do too much. Against those odds, Darksiders is mostly successful: Despite its unoriginal nature (and occasionally threadbare use of its cooler ideas), Darksiders comes together surprisingly well.

7.8|10 IGN
Just as War is on a quest to alter how he's perceived, it seems Darksiders itself is on a quest for its own identity. It draws heavily from mechanics established in the 3D Legend of Zelda games and mixes in a forgiving combat system along with elements from a host of other popular titles. It's a goulash of collection mechanics, exploration, and combat we've all seen before, but to Vigil's credit all these elements are adeptly combined in the same product and executed well overall. While the game world could have been developed more, the boss fights leave a lot to be desired, and more interesting things could have been done with the combat and puzzles, the game as it stands is still thoroughly entertaining.

screen7.jpg
screen8.jpg
screen9.jpg

screen10.jpg
screen11.jpg
screen12.jpg

Majmun

Call me crazy, but today is the first day I've heard about the game. And I'm in love already.
I'm still waiting for more impressions before I'll plunge.

Great thread, will keep an eye on it.

Canova

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
I had no idea what the hell this game was.

I will keep an eye out now. Sounds interesting.

This game flew under my radar until 2 months ago. Now it is my most anticipated in 2010.

Just preordered this yesterday. I just have no idea whether to play this or Bayonetta first, come January 5th - they're both looking so good.

soqquatto

this is posed to be the good 3d castlevania game we'll never have*. it will be mine on day one.

* lords of shadow is god of war!

"Darksiders is just weeks away from launch on PlayStation 3, and we’ve got some exciting news for all you Joe Madureira fans. Joe will be at Forbidden Planet in London on 7 January to launch the game.
Come along between 6-7pm and you’ll be able to meet the creative mind behind Darksiders, well known for his work on X-Men and Battle Chasers. You’ll also be able to buy the game a day early and get it signed by Joe Mad!
Find out more about the event over at Forbidden Planet.
If you’re a fan of Joe’s art, check back at the start of January when we’ll have a very cool competition prize up for grabs. A custom PlayStation 3 featuring WAR from Darksiders…"

4195064444_cd325e9a00.jpg

"Keep an eye on the Playstation Blog (EU) to find out how you can win."

Vorador

Banned
One of the most overlooked games of 2010, i didn't heard of it until a month ago. I hope is as good as it sounds, because i will be getting it ASAP.

Forgot about this game. Just added it to my Gamefly queue. Looks like it will be my first rental of '10 since the PS3 version of Bayonetta is getting the boot for its flaws.

bdouble

Much needed kick ass OP for a game with a slight image problem. People not paying attention think it is all combat all the time.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its such a shame that THQ has invested 0 dollars into marketing for this game. This game deserves to have big marketing push.

luffeN

cannot wait!!!!!!! this game was already on my radar in 2006(or 2007) when THQ gave a presentation @ Games Convention in Leipzig, go go!

Canova

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Its such a shame that THQ has invested 0 dollars into marketing for this game. This game deserves to have big marketing push.

their marketing dept is horrible, I don't understand why they have to wait till after the holiday to release it. This holiday season has been empty, no big names in December at all

"Darksiders resembles a large scale adventure game, similar to something like the Legend of Zelda. You'll progress through Darksiders by exploring the overworld, going into dungeons, solving puzzles, finding new items, and defeating impressive bosses"

This sounds great - I'm really excited for this game - could be the sleeper hit of early 2010.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
canova said:
their marketing dept is horrible, I don't understand why they have to wait till after the holiday to release it. This holiday season has been empty, no big names in December at all

They are hoping to cash in on the Jan 2-6th Christmas return spree.

The game is entertaining, that much is for sure. My review will be going live next week.

HiResDes

Will be picking up day one barring it doesn't get terrible reviews (as in 6's and under).

I know the game isn't all about combat, but can anyone offer a more detailed description of it. Is it simply a button mashing fest ala God of War?

ZealousD

DieH@rd said:
On the end of the SDCC 09: Mark Hamill Voice Actor Diary it says that Moon Bloodgood is in this game! What role does she play?

Uriel, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_dNWqcLobg#t=4m10s

HiResDes said:
Holy Shit! I didn't even know Mark Hamil was lending his electrifying vocal talents to this game... Hopefully the Watcher has a lot of dialogue in this game.

He's basically your "Navi" in the game. He's going to have a lot of dialogue.

Booser

Cant wait for this. Love me some Zelda style action, would be great if I could find and wear a green cowl in the game too..........

I know the kids wanna throw the Zelda comparision out there, but honestly this title reminds me more of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver :D

DieH@rd

Banned
And for those that didn't play old games, you can always say that this game is channeling some of the best parts of Batman Arkham Asylum. :)

ZealousD

DieH@rd said:
And for those that didn't play old games, you can always say that this game is channeling some of the best parts of Batman Arkham Asylum. :)

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Batman was more slow-paced and was nothing to write home about in terms of bosses or puzzles.

bdouble

AgentOtaku said:
I know the kids wanna throw the Zelda comparision out there, but honestly this title reminds me more of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver :D
Which was taken right from Zelda no?

Arde5643

AgentOtaku said:
That's quite true since Legacy of Kain has a bit of a Zelda-ish/Metroidvania structure as well.

Arde5643 said:
That's quite true since Legacy of Kain has a bit of a Zelda-ish/Metroidvania structure as well.

Well one of the biggest things that the Legacy of Kain series has over both those games is the voice acting. It was amazing. I don't know for sure yet but it seems like the VA for Darksiders is going to be damn good too. Which is really why I felt some similarities to LoK myself.

HiResDes

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Well one of the biggest things that the Legacy of Kain series has over both those games is the voice acting. It was amazing. I don't know for sure yet but it seems like the VA for Darksiders is going to be damn good too. Which is really why I felt some similarities to LoK myself.
Sounds terrific to me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This game got the worst marketing ever. Almost nobody knows it even exists:(

Arde5643

Ether_Snake said:
I really don't get this part - if a crappy game like Dante's Inferno can get some marketing, why not a gem like this?

JdFoX187

Banned
Really looking forward to this, especially after that epic E3 trailer earlier this year. I've heard conflicting reports on which version is better. Does anyone know for certain yet?

Ether_Snake said:

Dark Void would like a word with you.

Anyway the biggest hurdle this game has to clear is word getting out that it's not a GoW/DMC/NG ect. clone. I think when people look at it that's what they automatically think and they just roll their eyes and continue looking at other games. The reviews will do it a lot of good as they seem to be making it clear that it has a lot more in common with Zelda than it does with GoW.

SolidSnakex said:
Dark Void would like a word with you.

Anyway the biggest hurdle this game has to clear is word getting out that it's not a GoW/DMC/NG ect. clone. I think when people look at it that's what they automatically think and they just roll their eyes and continue looking at other games. The reviews will do it a lot of good as they seem to be making it clear that it has a lot more in common with Zelda than it does with GoW.

Though one has to wonder... why?

So a game is looked at like GOW clone and eyes roll. Game is looked at as Zelda clone and is applauded. NO MAKE A DA SENSE!:lol

JdFoX187

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Though one has to wonder... why?

So a game is looked at like GOW clone and eyes roll. Game is looked at as Zelda clone and is applauded. NO MAKE A DA SENSE!:lol
Fewer Zelda-style games on the market compared to action games, especially with Bayonetta coming out at the same time.

Top Bottom