• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the right.

this makes sense, and it's interesting to see just how quickly more and more people are viewing it, the right plane is filling very fast.

Nyunpa

Neo Member
So the blurry stuff on the left picture that looked like a flag is actually text and as more people go onto the page it will eventually become clear. Cool.

RoKKeR

I think I know what Bungie (or their PR company) has done (or are trying to simulate). The terminology being used in this teaser is very similar to that used in radio interferometery, a technique where signals from individual radio telescopes are combined electronically to produce highly detailed images on the sky.

Collections of such telescopes are called "arrays" (like the Very Large Array in New Mexico). A given telescope is sometimes called an "element." Pairs of telescopes in an array are "baselines." In a radio interferometer, signals from each pair of telescopes are interfered and the resulting product, a "visibility," is measured. A given pair of telescopes produces a measurement in spatial frequency space, the "uv-plane." The ensemble of visibilities are Fourier transformed into an image.

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the left.
Incredible.

iluVGhkUJQa83.gif
iX68mDtbSe7DH.gif
Destiny images: 8:48pm to 9:48pm

Surely between GAF and Bungie.net alone we should get enough people on the site to crack this no?

Has anyone posted this in any of the bigger gaming communities?

Computron

What I think may be happening is that every visitor's IP is being traced and the distances to other IPs being worked out, making "baselines" of which an ensemble is being used to slowly reveal the image on the left as more people check out the page. The image on the right is the distribution of spatial frequencies so far covered. As the image on the right becomes more white, with more page views ("global observatories"), more spatial frequencies will have been covered and the image on the left will become more legible. The "frequency gaps" noted beneath the image on the right indicate that the spatial frequency coverage is not uniform, leading to significant aliasing and artifacts in the image on the left.

So do you think there could be messages hidden in the right image (Geomask.png)? Or is essentially a fancy progress bar?

I had initially thought that it was an image that had been converted using a Fast Fourier Transform plugin/filter in Photoshop, similar to this .
(The frequency space images included at the link look similar to the geomask.png, and they have a similar symmetry)

However, when I tried to use an inverse FFT plugin on the image, the resulting image was just static.

Thinking about Stargazer's theory and the request from Misriah Solutions... then seeing how the image has changed.. I think rather than just logging the IP's and revealing overtime the key may end up being the simultaneous logging on of varies IP's within that same 5 minute window.

iMax

That'd be amazing.

I can't wait till the community solves this! I love Viral Marketing, Bungie is amazing at it, and the community handles it so amazingly.

I don't think we'll hear anything until GDC. But, I'll bet Microsoft pulls a Facebook and shoves invites out to the media on the 20th to steal Sony's thunder.

RoKKeR

I don't think we'll hear anything until GDC. But, I'll bet Microsoft pulls a Facebook and shoves invites out to the media on the 20th to steal Sony's thunder.
...then what is the ARG counting down to? It clearly leads to next Monday.

I think the Output is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_of_Life

A "Flower of Life" figure consists of seven or more overlapping circles, in which the center of each circle is on the circumference of up to six surrounding circles of the same diameter. However, the surrounding circles need not be clearly or completely drawn; in fact, some ancient symbols that are claimed as examples of the Flower of Life contain only a single circle or hexagon.

Bungie

iceatcs

Contract suggests it has MS exclusivity for a year. It could have, of course, changed since the time of writing the contract.

It could be. Especially now you can use PSN login (with facebook & google as well) on Bungie.net.

Top Bottom