• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Sells 6.5 Million Copies In 24 Hours In NA/UK Alone

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Black Ops did 5.6 million last year.

Press Release said:
Call of Duty(R): Modern Warfare(R) 3 Sets All-Time Record for the Biggest Entertainment Launch with More than $400 Million in North America and United Kingdom Sales Alone

More Than 6.5 Million Units Sold in U.S. and U.K. in 24 Hours

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Nov. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Shattering its own day-one sales records, Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced that its highly-anticipated Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3 has become the biggest entertainment launch ever with an estimated sell-through of more than $400 million and more than 6.5 million units in North America and the United Kingdom alone in the first 24 hours of its release, according to Charttrack and retail customer sell-through information.

This marks the third consecutive year that the Call of Duty franchise has set day one launch records across all forms of entertainment, something no other entertainment franchise in any medium has ever accomplished. Last year, in North America and the United Kingdom, Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops™ had estimated day-one sell-through of $360 million and in 2009, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, set day-one records with estimated sell through of $310 million, according to Charttrack and retail customer sell-through information.

On November 8, 2011, millions of fans attended more than 13,000 midnight openings at retail stores around worldwide. According to Microsoft, after just two days, the number of gamers playing simultaneously on Xbox® Live® set a new peak concurrency record.

“We believe the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of all time in any medium, and we achieved this record with sales from only two territories,” said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. “Other than Call of Duty, there has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records three years in a row. Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise exceed worldwide theatrical box office for “Star Wars” and “Lord of the Rings,” two of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time.”

Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing added, “Call of Duty is more than a game. It’s become a major part of the pop cultural landscape. It is a game that core enthusiasts love, but that also consistently draws new people into the medium. It is the most intense, adrenaline pumping entertainment experience anywhere. I would like to thank our incredible teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games for making a brilliant game. But most of all, I would like to thank our millions of passionate fans worldwide. We made this game for you.”

Separately, Activision announced this morning that in support and gratitude for the efforts of American servicemen and women, this Veterans Day it donated $3 million to the Call of Duty Endowment, a non-profit, public benefit corporation that seeks to provide job placement and training for veterans. This latest donation will be added to the $2 million that Activision has already donated to the Endowment, which has provided more than $1.5 million in grants and scholarships to veterans’ organizations across the country since it was conceived by Bobby Kotick in November of 2009.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is rated “M” (Mature) by the ESRB for Blood and Gore, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Strong Language and is available now for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows® PC. For more information visit www.callofduty.com/mw3 and www.callofduty.com/elite.
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/11/mw3-sells-6-5-million-units-worldwide-in-first-24-hours/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just as I predicted, the series is on a downward slope. Activision probably wont even bother with new entries next generation.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EatChildren said:
Just as I predicted, the series is on a downward slope. Activision probably wont even bother with new entries next generation.
Next up, AssCreed and WoW.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kermit The Frog said:
Great games sell great, who'dathunkit?
I don't know, even if the game is good. It's not selling because of that. The name and mass market penetration of the brand has more to do with it.

Not all great games sell great.

wow.

It sells so well im really tempted to get a copy, just to see what the fuss is about.

....nah.

In any case well done activision. They obviously have right strategy for the franchise because people are still eating it up.

Pein

Banned
Sethos said:
Bought Hardened edition day one.

I regret nothing.
Standard here, neither do I. Activision will also get me to buy all the map packs they release, my friends are gonna buy them so it forces me to do so.

Sethos

Banned
Kerub said:
That's a lot of copies. I wonder when poeple will get tired of CoD?

Next year? Next gen? Never?

When a developer decides to make a better game, by better I mean a game that caters for the fast paced, smooth competitive experience. Counter-Strike -> Call of Duty -> ?

linko9

Never played a CoD game, but it's always fun seeing how much they can sell in a 24-hour period. Very impressive, kudos to IW et al.

BKK

Minor correction, PR says "North America", so title should probably say "NA/UK Alone" as most publishers consider NA to be US and Canada.

Grecco

Kerub said:
That's a lot of copies. I wonder when poeple will get tired of CoD?

Next year? Next gen? Never?

At the very least it wont happen till Next gen, each gen has a "franchise" last gen was GTA that was "the" franchise that everybody had to buy, that had that mainstream crazy success. Maybe someone makes a new franchise next gen that has that mass market appeal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Grecco said:
Im really curious about Elite subscription adoption now.
Quite good apparently.

Game Informer said:
"Registration requests for our new live service Call of Duty Elite are exceeding even our most optimistic expectations, which is creating a bottleneck and some players have not been able to register, said Beachhead Studios' Chacko Sonny in a statement. "We have already registered hundreds of thousands of players and we are working around the clock to increase our capacity as quickly as possible."
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/08/call-of-duty-elite-having-launch-issues.aspx

rvy

Banned
ZDJoS.jpg

Dude created something so successful that he doesn't even need to be on the team anymore. Hoy shit.

Dabanton

Grecco said:
Im really curious about Elite subscription adoption now.

Me too they were pushing it hard when i went to pick up the game and i imagine the sales assistants were doing that at every store selling the game.

Hopefully Acti actually gets the bloody website working it's been up and down since tuesday.

Dabanton

Grecco said:
But thats free and paid subscriptions. What will be key for Activision is how many people will be paying 50 bucks a year now.

I would imagine quite a few, early access to new maps is too tempting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Grecco said:
But thats free and paid subscriptions. What will be key for Activision is how many people will be paying 50 bucks a year now.
Ah I see.

I didn't realize you still had to register for the free version.

"Registration requests for our new live service Call of Duty Elite are exceeding even our most optimistic expectations, which is creating a bottleneck and some players have not been able to register, said Beachhead Studios' Chacko Sonny in a statement. "We have already registered hundreds of thousands of players and we are working around the clock to increase our capacity as quickly as possible."

Getting one step closer to that all subscriptions/games as a service future...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
They've accumulated 53% to renting out the Staples Center!, only $350,000,000 (47%) to go!

Grecco

Nuclear Muffin said:
Getting one step closer to that all subscriptions/games as a service future...

Oh we are past that point i think. EA, Microsoft, Take 2, THQ, Warner Brothers all are on board the subscription train in some capacity.

Unbelievable sales. MW3 sells 9.000.000 just on day one! I'm not buying this game because i'm tired of CoD/online FPS's.

I thought GTA V will break all records on day one, but now i'm not so sure anymore...

Raide

As much as I want to think "Great, maybe those teams can go on to make more varied games now they have all that cash", it basically means they are stuck on CoD games until they die of old age or the series bombs.

So how much would you guys be willing to bet that the next gen consoles (PS4 and Xbox 10) will become glorified cable boxes, where most popular game series become subscription services? (Complete with cable card slot on the actual console and game channel package deals that incorporate Cable TV channels too)

Because if COD Elite goes on to be the success that it's looking like it may be, I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

zlatko

Banned
Well deserved. Best CoD since MW1. A lot of fun and some of the best combat flow on the majority of the maps. Hopefully it can keep this level of fluidity and fun as time goes on. :)

Every year I think to myself "People MUST be getting sick of Call of Duty by now. The franchise has peaked with its last installment and will start its downward decline"

And every year the next COD game smashes it's own sales record yet a again and proves that I'm the only person on the planet who is sick/bored with the series. Extremely impressive.

rvy

Banned
Raide said:
As much as I want to think "Great, maybe those teams can go on to make more varied games now they have all that cash", it basically means they are stuck on CoD games until they die of old age or the series bombs.
1539395-02416710_photo_robert_kotick.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's shipped, right?
Still... HOLYFUCKINCRAAAAAAPPPPPP

TheMan

Really surprised to read that COD has made more money than star wars. That's pretty damn impressive.

Pachimari

I wonder how much it has sold day one worldwide, when will we get a report on that? Please update the title of the OP if we're updated on that front. =)

Top Bottom