• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

Split/Second: The rubberbanding AI is insane! I can hit a checkpoint where it says I am 10 seconds in the lead but then just 5 seconds later I get passed. But what happens if you crash? Oh, you are doomed to 2nd at best.

Dead Rising games: The time limit. Just let me play on MY schedule!

HoodWinked

Skyrim
The combat....

Batman
The combat...

Civ V
Absolutely love the game...hate how dang long it takes and that the dual monitor support is next to non existent call me lazy but when my mouse goes over onto the other screen instead of moving the camera....not ok.

Witcher 2
tone down the maturity level a little..its a bit much...

Battlefield 3
Love this game to and play it a lot but I could really go without the excessive cussing in multiplayer....is it really that hard to have a content filter for language?

I have to second the Dark Souls Blighttown as well...every time I think about restarting the game I remember that....

Dragon Age: Origins
The combat

serious?

eXistor

There's lots of people that apparently will not play a game if it has low-ish framerate or screen tearing. That's just fucking ridiculous.

/edit: wow I'm getting angry just reading this thread. Some people have no tolerance for anything or are just completely fucking wrong about things.

ag-my001

For everyone posting the Weigraf fight in FFT:

If the game ever prompts you to save, it's because you are locked out of the world map and cannot save manually. Pick a different file, or don't save if you only have one.

Also, Chameleon Robes.

On-topic Answer:
Final Fantasy IX. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game, but it isn't one of my all time favorites simply because of the much too high encounter rate. While other RPGs were moving towards on-field fights (or at least visible enemies like Chrono Cross), FFIX decided to ramp the mob rate up to absurd levels.

HoodWinked

There's lots of people that apparently will not play a game if it has low-ish framerate or screen tearing. That's just fucking ridiculous.

low framerate games deserve not to be played. it means the game was poorly optimized for the platform which is a lack of care on their part. reasonable screen tearing is acceptable especially since vsync disengage is useful for maintaining input latency.

Valnen

Got the game on sale on steam and haven't played it. But isn't that exactly how Diablo 2 worked? the F keys changed your skills and then you used them by clicking?

No, Diablo 2 didn't have an action bar. Titan Quest has an action bar similar to Torchlight or Diablo 3 but hitting the buttons for each skill on it doesn't activate them, they all require two inputs to activate. This makes the gameplay much less intuitive than Torchlight or Diablo 3.

It's even worse than Diablo 2 because when you switch to a new skill in Diablo 2 it only requires clicking to activate the skill. In Titan Quest it requires 2 inputs every single time you activate the skill if you want to use the action bar. It's just horribly designed.

Brutal Legend: the RTS battles.

Everytime I read this I have to go kills something cute. The RTS battles were the game, you didn't like the game, that's fine but it has no place in this thread. And the battles were awesome, great concept, balance of armies and execution of strategy mixed with close up action. I wish it had a decent multiplayer following.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Controls

The game is sooo good but hte controls are sooo bad.

Definitely this. Some of the worst controls I have ever experienced.
The fact they were in a first-party Nintendo game is simply astounding.
The controls made this the most disappointing game I have played in years.

jokkir

Resident Evil 4 (PC).

You know what, I didn't care about it using the PS2 version of the game nor did I care about it being just a quick port but dammit, why are there no playable control schemes? Xbox 360 controller doesn't seem to work, there's no mouse and keyboard control from what I remember. Wtf.

Assassin's Creed (series): The sci-fi bullshit

would've far preferred it not existing (finished the most recent game without even touching the desmond stuff), but can't say it stopped me from loving the series...

i'm honestly drawing a blank - if i'm really enjoying a game for the most part, i can apparently overlook all kinds of shit. though any game including mandatory timed segments probably won't be getting a replay any time soon :) ...

LeleSocho

Banned
Okami's artstyle.

EJW9b.gif

injurai

Banned
No, Diablo 2 didn't have an action bar. Titan Quest has an action bar similar to Torchlight or Diablo 3 but hitting the buttons for each skill on it doesn't activate them, they all require two inputs to activate. This makes the gameplay much less intuitive than Torchlight or Diablo 3.

It's even worse than Diablo 2 because when you switch to a new skill in Diablo 2 it only requires clicking to activate the skill. In Titan Quest it requires 2 inputs every single time you activate the skill if you want to use the action bar. It's just horribly designed.

Oh I get what your saying now, wow that is awful. How the hell did they think of that.

Granted, but every single battle up to this point is perfectly winnable using game strategies and not grinding. So it isn't like anyone should expect to run into an insurmountable challenge immediately following a save point hours into the game. Broken!

That's fair. The fight is winnable given foreknowledge, but going into it unprepared after saving is a death sentence. Honestly I don't remember how I beat it the first time - I might have been a high level anyway, totally unaware of what was to come.

Mass Effect 3 - The awful ending.

Skyrim - The boring combat.
My beef with Skyrim, as a huge fan of TES and Bethesda, is the game's unskippable intro sequence. Every time you want to create a new character, you have to stand motionless through the execution proceedings, stilted dialogue and obnoxious scripted sequences and all. It wouldn't be that bad if Skyrim, like it's predecessor, gave you the chance to reroll your character once you were done so you could save at the end and carry on from there every time you wanted a new character. Major failing - not sure why they decided not to implement it.

Satchel

Banned
Killzone 2 - controls. Game felt like sluggish shit to play. Killzone 3 fixed it thank god.

Wind Waker - Sailing. Sailing. Oh more sailing.

Phantom Hourglass - Controls

Ketch

Final Fantasy Tactics

29-capture_29012011_104241.png

THIS BULLSHIT FIGHT.

Holy shit this. I love FF tactics but never beat it because I couldn't get past this fight.

My entry: Match making in World of Tanks. Because that game is awesome but somehow I am always stuck in the lowest level tank of the match... totally destroys the feeling you get from leveling up thus spoiling the hook that's supposed to keep me coming back.

kamspy

Splinter Cell HD Collection - No Y axis inversion option.

I'd be the saltiest mofo ever if I bought that (which I would have if not for getting back into PC). There's invert, and there's wrongvert. It should at least give you the option not to play on wrongvert.

-Little big Planet- (both)
A dream concept, vibrant?whimsical? user generated content? played both returned both.
Physics: i just can't get over the jump physics, i'm glad it has a huge following but the floaty jump physics will ensure i can never enjoy all it has to offer.

So much this. I bought both and tried my best to like both, but when it feels like work to play a game instead of something you want to do for fun, it's time to throw in the towel. How hard would it have been just have a simple switch in the options menu -MegaMan 2 physics or Mario World physics-?

Everytime I read this I have to go kills something cute. The RTS battles were the game, you didn't like the game, that's fine but it has no place in this thread.

Debatable since the demo made the game seem like a straight up hack n slash. In fact, the demo was the best part of the game. They could make a whole game like that, drop enough metal cameos and I'd buy it as BL2.

I'm gonna go with the 'flashlight to kill darkness" mechanic in Alan Wake. But someone could break my post down and say "that's the whole game" because what irks me about it is, it is. Seriously Remedy, I love you, but you're telling me all those years of amazing tech demo's breaks down to a TPS where the only twist is needing a special weapon to de-shield each enemy with no meaning impacts on gameplay outside of combat? Really? Well then at least make that one mechanic god-like ala Max Payne 1&2. It's not a good mechanic at all, but for a one trick pony game it becomes terrible!

The game was Gears of War and the single aspect was the whole game.

People like you are like vegetarians of the gaming community. I like ya! But your stupid.

But anyways, Call of Duty...the batshit craziness of spawning and suddenly being shot, blown up, or mauled by dogs with in 3-7 seconds of your 12th life. Yup. Hate that game.

Roto13

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
-Difficulty - Limited health capacity failed to scale to overpowered normal enemies and bosses with impossible patterns to memorize made it the most difficult game I played and made it difficult to get immersed in the world. If it had an easy mode.
I've never heard of anyone thinking the bosses or regular enemies in Ocarina of Time are difficult. :p

If your problem is that you don't have enough health, there are heart pieces scattered all over the world. You can get ten hearts or something between the first and second dungeons. You'll also want to get some fairies in bottles. You can find fairy fountains in various places and get fairies for free.

You really never need to spend money on healing potions and things. Just green ones for magic and even those aren't really necessary.

Oh FUCK those bitches.

and FUCK RAFA

That fight is winnable by pure luck only I swear.

It's true. The entire fight hinges on whether or not Rafa decides to move closer to Elmdore or away from him. If she moves within his attack range, just reload and try again because you've already lost.

GTA4 Aim Assist online, ruined the online.
MLB '10 The Show: The loading times. Made playing RTTS such a chore especially if you weren't a starter.

Skyrim:

Combat. But i guess it was my fault since i had finished dark souls just the day before i got Skyrim. and the difference was literally night and day. seriously, it ruined the whole experience.

Pikmin 1:

Time limit. i had like 6 days left before i got the full grasp of the game mechanics (sad i know). By then it was too late. i was enjoying every single moment of it. but the looming deadline just stopped me in the tracks.

Shtof

When I saw your first post the first games I thought of were Zelda, AC, and Batman. Now I'm sort of baffled that you love two of those franchises so much despite your complaint. To be clear, those games do not have a jump button, as I'm sure you know. So maybe you secretly hate jump buttons :D

Nah, the lack of jump mechanic is usually found in RPGs and some shooters(Bulletstorm, Gears). You may argue it's unnecessary in these kinds games, but I still think that jumping is an integral part of feeling immersed in a game where you control a character.

People complaining about a game's one flaw being the combat system...

but not one person mentions V:tM Bloodlines? The combat prevents a fun game from being a masterpiece.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuck the Runey system. It's terribly implemented, from the way you collect the runeys to the way you check each area's status. Just terrible.

BBy7e.jpg

Beyond Good & Evil (HD). Lack of separate x/y-invert options.

Came to post this one. I managed to put up with the original version. By the time the updated version came out, I couldn't tolerate it. I hoped there would be a software update, but I haven't bothered checking.

BanjoTooieCover.jpg

This could have been a wonderful sequel, far superior to the original game, had they kept the original game's formula of combining simple platforming with exploration. None of this "You have to be X character at Y place" shit that made the later levels so annoying, just fun characters and levels is all it needed. It sucks because the game oozes with charm and wonder, the atmosphere I'd say is superior to the original game, and overall it's just a polished game that they obviously put a lot of effort into. It's too bad that the core gameplay becomes so stale halfway into it, because I love starting a new game and getting a taste of what could've been.

ArjanN

IMO if a SINGLE aspect keeps you from loving a game, you should probably try harder to look past that single aspect.

massoluk

Banned
Wow, I didn't realized so many people gave up FFT on that fight. Not like I played fair, I just gave up too and searched online, beating him with the
auto-potion + yell trick
. After that, it's just smooth sailing to the end credit.

For me.

Far Cry 2 - Well, I like almost everything about it, never got past 4 hours in that game because I got tired of being chased by everything under the Sun in that game every 10 minutes.

New Super Mario Bros Wii: Floaty physics/low traction, clipping in coop

Yoshi's Island: The secret levels being total grinds to unlock. 20 red coins per level? Fuck you!

Derrick01

Banned
Skyrim- Loot scaling.

Hey guys lets make a game designed around exploration and then make the loot completely randomized and it scales to your level! Completed that hour long dungeon with a bitch of an end boss? Congrats, here's your Iron Sword of Stamina Drain that saps a whopping 2 points of stamina per hit!

There were other problems in this game but that's by far the most egregious.

Top Bottom