• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Mercenary details from Polish magazine, showing back up next (this?) week

Musiol

And you continue to overestimate it. There isn't a single PS3 level game on there yet, bro. :/

Haha, and there's the answer.

Prepare for small maps to compensate.

It didn't mean that game will have single player like CoD. If for you fast paced=short missions, let it be. For me it's designed to play on the go.

Really? If MP bots make it to this game, it might be a day-one purchase for me. I wish more FPSes had bots.

Yeah, all previous games had bots in multiplayer, so maybe here they'll be too.

Takao

Banned
sony went to nihilistic and asked them to make a ww2-esque shooter for hd platform, sony later told them it was resistance for vita

maybe obligation from psmove heroes

VanWinkle

I think I remember the devs confirming on Twitter that it does have a full campaign instead of the BO: Declassified kind of missions.

I hope the multiplayer has bots like all past Killzone games. Seems like that might be one of the first things to go to help with performance, though. :(

Yeah I'm almost certain I read that, too. What would be awesome is to have a story mode, then those Unit 13-type missions in a separate mode, and of course competitive multiplayer as well.

Killzone is a boring and mediocre franchise, so color me not excited. and even if it looks fantastic, i'm sure the typically dull art direction will sour it enough so that its technical merits won't matter
Killzone's art direction was great until they over saturated it. Shades of bleak greys and browns is only bad if the artists are bad, but the artists at Guerrilla nailed it.

Really? If MP bots make it to this game, it might be a day-one purchase for me. I wish more FPSes had bots.

Yep, Killzone 1 has two player split-screen with bots, 2 had full bot support and 3 had it too but it was more limited (you couldn't choose which faction you wanted to play as, wha?) so I'm a little worried about it being in Merc since they seemed to care less and less lol.

I love FPS with bots, too. It helps if the online community is bad or dead, haha. Handheld shooters need them more as well, since you won't always be near wifi and 3G games aren't possible.

And you continue to overestimate it. There isn't a single PS3 level game on there yet, bro. :/
Mortal Kombat vita.. had 100% and more of the whole game on vita. Most Wanted had almost the whole game with some graphical tweeks and player count reduced. Sly cooper whole game is on vita, sony's super smash brother clone, has the whole game on vita.

I don't know if there's more, i don't own a vita. But it's kinda amazing that full console games can be enjoyed on it. I wonder if they'll ever port infamous or infamous 2 on there. Seems like they'd be perfect for the platform.

Iacobellis

Ah. This is not the kind of confirmation that I was hoping for.

Couldn't it be argued that CoD technically has 'a full-fledged campaign'?

No, it doesn't. Stop being so negative about a game that doesn't even have a release date. Wait until it comes out, play it for a bit, then tell us how you feel about it.

Sophia

Would not have pegged you as a shooter player.

Tearaway update? Yes please!

I like every kind of game. I'm not really a hardcore uber dudebro shooter player, but I do enjoy playing them. But the Vita's pretty lacking in good ones, and completely lacking in good multiplayer ones. =P

I should go read up more on Tearaway. >.>

nah couldn't be argued at all. Declassified's "campaign" is a poor man's Spec Ops at best.

ZeroAKA

I was thinking more like Unit 13. Did that game do the short mission thing pretty well?

Yep, Killzone 1 has two player split-screen with bots, 2 had full bot support and 3 had it too but it was more limited (you couldn't choose which faction you wanted to play as, wha?) so I'm a little worried about it being in Merc since they seemed to care less and less lol.

I love FPS with bots, too. It helps if the online community is bad or dead, haha. Handheld shooters need them more as well, since you won't always be near wifi and 3G games aren't possible.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dantis

Mortal Kombat vita.. had 100% and more of the whole game on vita. Most Wanted had almost the whole game with some graphical tweeks and player count reduced. Sly cooper whole game is on vita, sony's super smash brother clone, has the whole game on vita.

I don't know if there's more, i don't own a vita. But it's kinda amazing that full console games can be enjoyed on it. I wonder if they'll ever port infamous or infamous 2 on there. Seems like they'd be perfect for the platform.

I meant on a technical level.

I was thinking more like Unit 13. Did that game do the short mission thing pretty well?

It seemed about what you'd expect: Small, short maps. (Full disclosure - I've only played the demo)

XOMTOR

Old gif of the game:

imUzVb98KWyJU.gif

Looks amazing but why do devs have to darken the corners with vignetting? It's horrendous enough on a large screen TV but on a 5" screen? Console FOV is already narrow enough without having to darken the edges to create even more tunnel vision.

Dantis

Yes. Very underrated game, fun to pick it up and play it in short bursts.

There are some larger maps. Not super large, but large enough.

PersonaGAF, assemble?

I'll keep an eye on it, at least. I love Vita, so any high-quality game is of at least some interest to me.

legacyzero

Banned
Looks amazing but why do devs have to darken the corners with vignetting? It's horrendous enough on a large screen TV but on a 5" screen? Console FOV is already narrow enough without having to darken the edges to create even more tunnel vision.

to represent fading peripheral vision? I dunno. It's the only logical thing I can think of LOL

Splint

I wonder how the story is gonna tie in with the KZ3 ending? Is this Earth and not planet Helghan? City in the gif looks amazing. I will probably have to pick up a Vita for this game. Killzone 1 & 2 were great. 3 not so much except for the story.

Wait this has a SP campaign?

I was under the impression it had some shitty "spec ops" missions ala COD Vita with no real story.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

I was under the impression it had some shitty "spec ops" missions ala COD Vita with no real story.

Judging by those screenshots and character art looks too me like it will have its own campaign and story.

CoD Vita was kind of odd in that way. I don't expect many games to go the essentially multiplayer only route, especially on a handheld.

I'm dying for a good fps on my vita. Cod and resistance were ok, but I'm hoping this will be a definitive leap in quality and content.
There are more FPSes on the Vita than those two - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath is actually a pretty good FPS, and the Vita port is excellent by all accounts. There's also Gun Commando on PlayStation Mobile for some cheap retro early 90s style FPS thrills.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
1:1 with the KZ3 engine? Skeptical.

I wouldn't go so fast. No it is not exactly as powerful as a PS3, that said it doesnt mean that it can't be 1:1 with PS3 engines. 1:1 I take as meaning it can do everything KZ3 does on PS3, just at slightly lower fidelity. Much like Crysis 1 on consoles does everything from sunshafts, destruction, reflections, motion blur, bending vegetation, draw distance, enemy count, shadows, etc... but sacrifices the fidelity of those things. They are there, they just don't always look as nice as the PC version.

LBP2 and LBPV look nearly identical graphically.

Uncharted GA looks amazing aside from IQ, and that can be easily forgiven considering it was a day 1 launch title.

Other games mentioned above also look near indistinguishable from their PS3 counterparts.

Will we see Uncharted 3 or the Last of Us quality on Vita? No. But you will certainly be surprised on what they squeeze out of this device.

Can anyone translate the bit about Tearaway? I'm super pumped for both, especially to see these details about Mercenary, I absolutely love the Killzone franchise. I just hope we get to hear more about Tearaway as well, because we at least know we'll definitely see more of KZ: Mercenary this week.

Makes me wish I didn't sell my vita. I KNOW this is going to be good. Love killzone and loved that jungle. One thing though; I cannot do vita and ps4 in the same year lol.

DiscoJer

It better have a campaign. If Sony is using "Console Gaming on the Go" as their Vita slogan, they need to back it up. I didn't buy a $250 portable over a $200 tablet just to play mobile style games. (Okay, I paid $194 for it, but still...)

RoKKeR

Que? This seems like the type of game that just begs to be touched and ripped and
torn away
Gimmicks as in poorly executed gimmicks. I'm all for touch integration, but if they become annoying or difficult to use then I'm turned off by them.

Sophia

Gimmicks as in poorly executed gimmicks. I'm all for touch integration, but if they become annoying or difficult to use then I'm turned off by them.

Touchscreen controls and gyro have been 50/50 for me. Some use them well, some are awful. Uncharted is a fantastic example of both. >_>;

test_account

XP-39C²
1:1 with the KZ3 engine? Skeptical.
Nearly 1:1 :) But that is just the engine, not necessarily the graphical aspect. But Killzone 2 (maybe 3 as well) runs in native 720p, so working with a lower resolution on the Vita could give its advantages for the graphics (as in, making it easier to make it look closer to the console Killzone games).

Iacobellis

I'd hardly say it looks like shit.

can't wait to check this out on the vita.

The sub native resolution and lack of AA killed it. If they just improve on that and a small framerate bump, then Bend will be done on the graphics front. I really want to see an in-depth multiplayer mode in U:GA 2.

Just to clear things - there will be a lot of new information but for now - I can't write a thing. But believe - it's worth for waiting. I think that embargoes will go up somewhere around Wednesday.

Add this to OP.

And get the hype train moving. Can't wait for this!

btkadams

this is possibly my most anticipated vita game. i loved killzone 2. killzone 3 was a step down but was still fun. i hope the controls are more like kz2.

can't wait to hear more about it!!

RoKKeR

Touchscreen controls and gyro have been 50/50 for me. Some use them well, some are awful. Uncharted is a fantastic example of both. >_>;
Fuck the tree balancing.

Fuck the lights.

Everything on Vita has fine, if not a bit repetitive.

Duffyside

Banned
Shouldn't the title include tearaway as well?

I can't wait to play that game
old pic
7781992314_7121a1f43e_o.jpg

... Wooow. My hype had dropped considerably since the announcement, as I had (have) this feeling that this would be a small, easy, gimmicky platformer. But damn does that look gorgeous.

Top Bottom