• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave (Denpa no Ningen RPG): 9/27 on US eShop

d+pad

I've played a good bit of it today, and I really like what I've experienced so far.

Like others have said, the gameplay is very DQ-esque, although there's even less story in this game than in DQ, if that's possible. Battles are fast and fun, and I love that you can make things as easy or as complicated as you desire. The AI of the party members (of which there can be 8 -- at least at the moment!) seems pretty smart, so most of the time I just hit Y (auto battle using 'skills') or X (auto battle w/o 'skills'). There are a ton of skills, by the way -- I've already come across 11 or 12. Both the character and creature/enemy design is great, with a lot of personality.

At the moment, only three or four areas are open to me, I believe. I'm not sure if more will open up after I've beaten them or not. I hope more will open up, though, as I'm already nearly done with the second.

Regardless, based on what I've experienced so far I'm pretty sure I'll consider the game well worth the $10 I spent on it by the time I hit the end credits.

If I've already started a new game on the full version is it too late to do this or will it clear my game on the full version?

Nah. Basically you have to "beat" the demo as in beating the Wolfbear boss guy. Once you do that you get to build the docks. After you go out of the dungeon and go to the docks it creates save data. Then when you open up the full version of the game it detects that you have the demo version save data and over writes whatever you've done in the full game.

Hope all that helps and makes sense.

Nah. Basically you have to "beat" the demo as in beating the Wolfbear boss guy. Once you do that you get to build the docks. After you go out of the dungeon and go to the docks it creates save data. Then when you open up the full version of the game it detects that you have the demo version save data and over writes whatever you've done in the full game.

Hope all that helps and makes sense.
Yeah perfect sense, gonna go it soon, have some nice differently coloured Denpa Men I want to get over into my main one.

Has anyone figured out how the Denpa Men generate yet, is it based on WiFi signals or something else. Maybe I dunno picks up on Mobile phone signals or something.

Darn it, went to upload to the full version, but said it would overwrite my save I already had going on the full version, so meh CBF I'll have to do without the awesome stripey Denpa Man I got in the demo.

Why is it? Did they give a reason? It's an absolutely outstanding game.
I think Sakura Samuari is coming out in PAL zones sometime soonish, it has been rated albeit under a different name that I've forgotten atm.

Just beat the boss of the Windy Forest for the first time, was quite a good little battle, I like how the game keeps things simple combat wise but I still feel like there are some tactics (ie when to use Men just to heal and so on), most of the time I end up autoing but that makes the easy fights heaps quicker, the tougher ones you can still take your time and work out what needs to be done and when. I need to pay attention to my speed stats though, as the order your Denpa man act in really can effect how auto works or how the battle will progress.

MarkusRJR

Just tried the demo and it seems awesome. I'll probably pick it up when I get a new $20 3DS card.

Is it just me or do the battles have really bad crosstalk with 3D on at times? I tried it on my XL. It was nearly as bad as Resident Evil: Revelations for some reason. It's just at the points when you get close ups of the enemies and the party when you win a battle. Otherwise is appears to be fine.

I played this a bit in the office while we were working on it, but actually never bought a copy for myself.

Really wish I could just get the English version for the hell of it =/

Definitely gonna pick up the sequel now that it is out though. =)

soultron

Banned
I played this a bit in the office while we were working on it, but actually never bought a copy for myself.

Really wish I could just get the English version for the hell of it =/

Definitely gonna pick up the sequel now that it is out though. =)

You must play it. It is excellent. I'm itching to play more of it today.

The battles and enemies are really starting to give me a easier-ish DQ/Blue Dragon kind of feel. Nice.

Cherubae

Went to a local restaurant and captured 3 shiny men while waiting for my order. :) Missed a striped red/blue guy at my insurance agent's office :( Can't wait to see how they work in my party setup.

Beat the 3rd boss this morning, yay for slogging through a dungeon with lots of stuff that wants to poison you :/ Playing this really makes me wish this is more what Find Mii should have been, keep the people level up by street passing them feature. But something more like this would have been alot more engaging then what Find Mii is.

Just leveling my guys up to level 15 now so I can take on the next area.

Nose Master

I keep power leveling myself by messing around in the dungeon after the one I'm supposed to be in. Feels good, man. Also: Anyone have any QR codes yet?

Rarutos

This game is great! The third dungeon was a bit mean because of all the poison and those Rays, but man... I'm having such a great time. It also makes me want to go out just to get more Denpa Men!

d+pad

I keep power leveling myself by messing around in the dungeon after the one I'm supposed to be in. Feels good, man. Also: Anyone have any QR codes yet?

I'll make some QR codes and share them tomorrow. Hope others do the same -- esp. any of you with striped Denpa Men w/ antennas :)

loving the impressions. Still haven't grabbed the full version yet. Gotta finish some contract jobs this weekend first.

Also findmii, findmii2 & puzzleswap are glorified gambling...
At least when you live where I do and rarely experience streetpass...

Nose Master

The
Volcano
dungeon is such horse shit.
Yeah, I know Water weakens him. It's kind of irrelevant if his speed is astronomical to the point where he can one shot your entire party 90% of the time before you get to hit him with it. Ugh. This one dungeon has taken longer than the entire rest of the game thus far.

JosiahB

Here are a few I took pictures of. For some weird reason you can't just create a QR code image, you you have to take a picture of the screen instead.

(All of these, except the first, were shiny Denpa Men.)
Medium Heal (All): http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5224/1002796ik.jpg
Double Gold: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2210/1002791.jpg
Invincible: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5268/1002793z.jpg
Jet Current: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2317/1002794e.jpg
Tidal Wave: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/905/1002795b.jpg
(Sorry that the pictures are so big.)

The thing about Denpa Men that you get by QR code is that they start at level one, and if they die, you have to scan them again (so back to level one, if they die).

Cherubae

The thing about Denpa Men that you get by QR code is that they start at level one, and if they die, you have to scan them again (so back to level one, if they die).

Egads, I guess there's an advantage to catching them yourself.

Baconbitz said:
How do you scan them?

You need to get the Computer plan (from the 3rd dungeon boss I believe?)

Kacho

Gold Member
Here are a few I took pictures of. For some weird reason you can't just create a QR code image, you you have to take a picture of the screen instead.

(All of these, except the first, were shiny Denpa Men.)
Medium Heal (All): http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5224/1002796ik.jpg
Double Gold: http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2210/1002791.jpg
Invincible: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5268/1002793z.jpg
Jet Current: http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2317/1002794e.jpg
Tidal Wave: http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/905/1002795b.jpg
(Sorry that the pictures are so big.)

Sweet. Thank you. I just got the PC.

This game is so much fun. :)

Played the demo for a bit and it's quite fun, I really like the monster designs. I'll probably buy the full version next week.

It's cool to see original RPGs on the eShop, hopefully more will follow suit.

Loved the demo so went ahead and bought the full game.

First off: WOW it says that the first area recommends for level 5 but I keep getting paralized and theres no point in using the deparalize item since I'll just get paralized again. Plus the enemies all have high defenses.

Second off: Ug, having to go on others wifi spots for more characters. Should be able to buy them ingame, I know thats the core concept in the game, but I just wanna play it. I can't go on with just three Denpa-Men.

Otherwise...its a good game. Great colorful graphics, and some catchy music. But unless I can find somewhere else to go for a wifi hotspot I'll have to grind everyone to level 20 to get through the level 5 area. I heard there are QR codes, but I haven't unlocked the pc and it seems like you revert to level one if you die :/

Oh well, I kinda knew all this before buying it but not being able to get more Denpas easily is kinda of a drag.

Brb, gonna play it some more for the music.

Pangya

Just beat the "main story" at around 12 hours into the game. Looks like there are a lot of things left still to do post game. I also need to start filling up my denpa house as I have about 76/150 guys in there... I really hope the sequel gets localized as well.

d+pad

Loved the demo so went ahead and bought the full game.

First off: WOW it says that the first area recommends for level 5 but I keep getting paralized and theres no point in using the deparalize item since I'll just get paralized again. Plus the enemies all have high defenses.

Second off: Ug, having to go on others wifi spots for more characters. Should be able to buy them ingame, I know thats the core concept in the game, but I just wanna play it. I can't go on with just three Denpa-Men.

Otherwise...its a good game. Great colorful graphics, and some catchy music. But unless I can find somewhere else to go for a wifi hotspot I'll have to grind everyone to level 20 to get through the level 5 area. I heard there are QR codes, but I haven't unlocked the pc and it seems like you revert to level one if you die :/

Oh well, I kinda knew all this before buying it but not being able to get more Denpas easily is kinda of a drag.

Brb, gonna play it some more for the music.

Don't give up, WiiRevolution1 ... I think you just need to stick with it, do your best to raise the levels of your Denpa Men and get out there and find some new ones.

BTW, you know you don't have to actually log on to someone else's wifi to find more Denpa Men, right? All you have to do is be in range of them, be able to pick up the signal, etc.

As such, if you really wanted to, you could go to, say a parking lot of a McDonald's and find more. Hell, I caught a TON while scanning for Denpa Men while my husband drove us to our friend's house. I'm guessing the 3DS/game were picking up cell phone signals from passing cars? Regardless, I was able to catch a ton of them, so use that tactic if you're able (i.e., you have someone who can drive you around).

Also, after you get a bit further into the game you'll be able to scan QR codes, which are becoming more and more prevalent on the Internet. In fact, I just took photos of some of my Denpa Men's QR codes and will be sharing them here soon. So, that's another option for you, too.

Anyway, just suggesting you not give up too quickly. It's definitely worth sticking with, IMO!

Would people be interested if I made an OT for this game? It could provide a bit more in-depth information on the game and maybe get some more people interested.

Or would everyone rather just keep this topic as an "OT"?

sakipon

Would people be interested if I made an OT for this game? It could provide a bit more in-depth information on the game and maybe get some more people interested.

Or would everyone rather just keep this topic as an "OT"?

I'd say this game deserves a proper OT. Would be nice seeing that.

Top Bottom