• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try out your S7 for that time and see how you like the experience. I have one for myself and don't feel the same pull to the Pixel like when I had the S6 and eventually switched to a Nexus 6P. The S7 is a really good phone; the Pixel is too, of course, and if you don't like your experience with the S7 then at least you have a viable alternative. For me, TouchWiz (the skin on the Galaxy phones) is actually pretty good at this point, Samsung Pay is a godsend as a US resident, and I really like the focus speed on the S7's camera even if the actual picture quality on the Pixel appears to be better (but not drastically so).

I do love the s7's features, especially the camera, maybe I'm just feeling the "new thing" pull since I can basically get one for free right now. Unfortunately Samsung and Android pay don't work with any of my cards/banks.

garath

I got my pixel xl two days ago. Verizon shipped it a day early.

I love it.

The top and bottom space isn't nearly as bad as it looks. Actually using the phone is a real nice experience. I have something to hold onto and the design is such that I can one hand it even better than my smaller 5" droid I'm replacing.

The phone is fast. Very responsive. Screen is gorgeous. Camera is so good. I really like the whole experience of the launcher. I'm not the biggest fan of the Google now stuck on the left but I'm getting some use out of it.

First phone with a fingerprint scanner. Might be my favorite thing. So cool to unlock and swipe for notifications.

Battery life has been good. I'm coming from a droid Maxx where the whole deal is having a 48 hour battery life. I abuse my phone though. Tons of gaming with granblue fantasy, tons of web browsing, lots of video watching with twitch, YouTube, Netflix and my TiVo. I basically have 3 hours a day of commuting on a bus and lunch which the phone is on and being used minimum. I get a full day out of the pixel this way. My old phone had deteriorated to the point where I was charging it 2-3x per day. Right now I have 10 hours of use with 3.5 hours of screen time and I'm at 50%. Not bad to me.

ArchAngel

Cool thanks, I'm messing around with Nova now. How do I switch back to the standard if I want to? Do I need to straight up uninstall this one?

In the Nova settings is the option for the standard launcher and you can change that.

Ooohhhh I need this. Get on average 3-3.5 sot with my Moto x style, got 4 max once. 7 hours would be crazy.

My upgrade in august can't come soon enough.

A good start? 7 hours SOT is phenomenal. Excited to get home and unbox mine.

I got good numbers from the 6P too, so I can't say anything about your usage and how good the battery is. Some got mediocre SoT in reviews, others said they were great.

Android 7.2 will fix this with 25% worse battery life :D

co1onel

What's the deal with the Picture Color Mode option in Developer Options, which toggles sRGB mode? When I turn it on, the screen goes pinkish.

Is there any benefit to using it?
It looks pink when you turn it on, because the screen is slightly blueish by default. It's actually closer to true white. It also changes the colors to be closer to sRBG/Rec.709, which is useful if you dont like the default oversaturation of colors.

Wollan

My Silver 32GB 5" is waiting for me at the office.

Happy to have a Great Android phone at a practical size with a bezel to hold it by (and day 1 updates).

Been with iPhone since 2007 (minus a 6 months hiatus w/Xperia Z1 Compact).

I did the exact same thing, and felt so stupid once I figured it out. It's a super cool feature, though.

Been using my Pixel XL for about 22 hours now, and it's the best phone I've ever had. Incredible in every way.
Absolutely. This is my second phone, but I have supported many phones between my work phones and family and friends and this is absolutely a great phone. It feels like I literally bought an iPhone with Android instead of iOS, and I'm fine with that. Come at me!

Negatives:
-Assistant is not as smart as promised yet. Still better than Siri and Cortana.
-Icons aren't all round. Many are still square. Although I didn't do a clean install and -transferred my apps over
-Don't like the new alarm sounds, ringtones, and notification sounds.
-I've lost my Google Voice number for call forwarding with Google Project Fi. I can received texts from my google voice number and Project Fi's number offers some call screening and features similar to Voice.

killroy87

Anyone have a good app to have notification badges? I didn't actually know android didn't support that, and I don't like it one bit. What's the easiest/most reliable app to add those in?

rc213

Phone is amazing.

While being more comfortable to hold than the 6P it's still just as slippery. Going to need a thin clear tpu case or a clear skin for grip

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So the only way to get a look at it in person is at a Verizon store correct?

I have project fi service but I like to get an in person look at phones before I buy them.

garath

I got the Spigen rugged armor case. I really like it. It's less beastly than my old phone's OtterBox commuter but it still seems like it will offer good protection without a lot of bulk. I'm very impressed. Price jumped 5 bucks for the XL version since I ordered it Tuesday though lol. Popular.

It's going to take me a bit to get used to the smaller screen. It didn't look that much smaller, but having it and my 6P next to each other, it's more noticeable.

co1onel

Everything except the blue is back in stock on the Google store.

I got the liquid clear Spigen case. Does a great job of showing off the blue phone while protecting it. Not too thick either.

Got mine yesterday. Another person who had a Note 7, so switched. I have a iPhone 7 plus for work, so will be looking to see how the cameras compare.

Another interesting thing is that already a retailer in the UK has stopped stocking it. Mobiles.co.uk who are owned by Carphone Warehouse said on twitter it didn't reach the preorders they expected.

Alienfan

Genuinely surprised the phone is good, a shame about the missing "premium" features otherwise I'd consider trading in my S6 for one. But the Pixel 2 is probably going to be the Uncharted 2 of phones, so I'll happily wait

Laekon

So the only way to get a look at it in person is at a Verizon store correct?

I have project fi service but I like to get an in person look at phones before I buy them.

Pretty sure Best Buy has them right now. Only for Verizon though.

I'm pretty torn on getting a new phone right now but see that as a good thing. I really like the idea of the Pixel as a Nexus owner but it just seems really over hyped. I've seen the test and video reviews and it doesn't seem any better then a S7 that I can get for at least $100 cheaper. The S7 is a better design IMO. The lack of OIS for still photos is a concern for me as my hands shake a bit. The "new" assistant doesn't seem to do a single thing smarter then the current Ok Google accept show a track of what you've done. Finally getting the latest updates lost all value to me after 7.0 gave my 5X some random battery life issues. Sure Apple updates caused problems with my iPhone 4 but it happened 2 years later not 1. The S7 works great now so I can live with it as it is.

On the other side now that Apple has some Google Now like functions built into iOS and loosened up their control a little I find it pretty attractive option. The hardware/software still has better integration than the Pixel. Siri is shit versus Ok Google though.

Right now I'm just going to hold out a little longer to see what happens the Pixel and with the 7.1 update on my 5X. The battery life will still suck but I'm not a power user so as long as it's consistent, it works for me.

Fatalah

I went to a VZ store out in Long Island and Google's Pixel section was fully set up

Just walk into your VZ store and the Pixel section should be right next to the iPhones.

My impressions:

+ The XL is way too big for me, I don't think I can manage the largeness.
+ Both phones are super smooth and fast, wow!
+ Blue looks so awesome -- I'm going to go with blue!
+ I wish the front of the blue model was also blue.
+ The front sensors really stand out on the white front.

Lastly: Do anti-theft security sensors really need to be so large? It's impossible to hold a phone with the bulky alarm stores stick on the back of them.

8maVVJk.jpg

o4weRfO.jpg

Wow, this camera combined with smart burst and hdr+ auto can make even the worst photographers such as myself able to take decent photos.

SMattera

Comning from a 6S Plus. Really missed Android.

Anyone try theirs with bluetooth headphones?

I use a pair at the gym. For some reason, I was getting really bad static at times. It seemed like it happened when I touched particular parts of the phone.

Other than that, it's been smooth. Really snappy and responsive. Big bezels kind of sucks, but I'm used to it coming from the 6S Plus.

CronoShot

Man, after a year of using the 6P, the the size of the regular Pixel is actually super refreshing.

Also, the thing just flat out doesn't lag. Ever. It's pretty crazy.

Jacob

My 32GB Pixel XL arrived (from Verizon) on Thursday and I've had a lot of fun playing around with it so far. I was most excited to see what the stock Android experience was like after nearly seven years of Motorola Droid and Samsung Galaxy phones. It's been nice and the speed on the Pixel is fantastic. I don't take a ton of photos but the low light camera is so far ahead of my previous ones it's not even funny. The first thing I did when I woke up today was listen to the Assistant's daily briefing and I was impressed by how much battery was left after streaming music for most of my shift in the back room at work. The keyboard, particularly the prediction feature, feels like a step up as well. All in all very pleased with it so far.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looking forward to revisiting the "it never lags" posts in a few weeks. We say that about every phone on launch. My 6P lags often these days.

NotBacon

Looking forward to revisiting the "it never lags" posts in a few weeks. We say that about every phone on launch. My 6P lags often these days.

I think the high quality NAND storage and lack of dogshit processor *cough* 810 *cough* will really help in the long run.

Lol doesn't mean there isn't internal water damage that can cause issues to pop up after. If it's not officially water resistant, then don't put it in situations where it may get wet.

These videos aren't indicitive of anything.

It actually is water resistant, just not waterproof. It's IP53 rated.

NotBacon

Anyone have a good app to have notification badges? I didn't actually know android didn't support that, and I don't like it one bit. What's the easiest/most reliable app to add those in?

Don't.
Get used to the vastly superior notification system in Android. Everything you need is in the notification shade.

redlegs87

I think the high quality NAND storage and lack of dogshit processor *cough* 810 *cough* will really help in the long run.

Water resistance is nice and all but as long as you're responsible with your phone you don't have anything to worry about outside of some freak accident that couldn't be prevented which I doubt happens all that often.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't.
Get used to the vastly superior notification system in Android. Everything you need is in the notification shade.
Yeah. For those switching from iOS, just embrace Android and accept change for a few weeks. Don't try to make or use Android like iOS. If you still hate the way Android does things after using it for awhile, then look to change it. But right now, realize you're using a new phone.

Notifications on Android are so much better.

Damn the impressions are gold. I want it Lol. But I already have a good phone, it would be a waste to buy another phone right now... I guess I'm in the wait for the Pixel2 brehs.... I'm really glad Android has its IPhone now.

with Samsung's sacrifice 😈💀🔥, the contract was sealed

Maximus.

Ok, so that is just a verbal formality. IP53 doesn't really mean anything in terms of real water resistant protection.

The more I see of this phone, the more impressed I am. It is kind of funny how repairs for the display, cost of the unit, etc, all compare to Apple's pricing. I don't mind because there is always a high end market. Happy to hear that Google is stepping up the game and building a network of better support for the device if something does go wrong.

I wonder if the omission of a micro SD slot was for more control, snappiness of overall experience, or just to make more money.

Celeras

Banned
I really miss Moto Display, but this device has been a total home run for me. Love it. Few tips I have come across:

-You can put a numerical percentage on top of your battery icon by default. The setting is hidden. To bring it out, pull down your notification bar and long press on the gear in the top right. It will spin and eventually say the System UI settings are unlocked. It will be near the bottom in settings once unlocked. It also lets you hide a bunch of icons to reduce clutter.

-There is a SRGB mode hidden in developer options. Tones down the screen saturation a bit if you are into photography or w/e. You unlock developer options like you always do, spam tap the build number in "About phone" settings.

torontoml

I really miss Moto Display, but this device has been a total home run for me. Love it. Few tips I have come across:

-You can put a numerical percentage on top of your battery icon by default. The setting is hidden. To bring it out, pull down your notification bar and long press on the gear in the top right. It will spin and eventually say the System UI settings are unlocked. It will be near the bottom in settings once unlocked. It also lets you hide a bunch of icons to reduce clutter.

-There is a SRGB mode hidden in developer options. Tones down the screen saturation a bit if you are into photography or w/e. You unlock developer options like you always do, spam tap the build number in "About phone" settings.
Thanks for this, I like the ability to do split screen.

Moreche

Got mine yesterday. Another person who had a Note 7, so switched. I have a iPhone 7 plus for work, so will be looking to see how the cameras compare.

Another interesting thing is that already a retailer in the UK has stopped stocking it. Mobiles.co.uk who are owned by Carphone Warehouse said on twitter it didn't reach the preorders they expected.
Ill wait until Christmas then as it'll obviously see some decent discounts in the U.K.

Ianan

Just drained the battery completely and left the phone for a few hours.
Gave it a 20minute charge and the battery is only up 27% since, was expecting a bit faster.

Still, loving the phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom