• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

PGamer

fucking juniors
I saw a post on Reddit claiming that someone recently developed a fork of the Nintendo DS emulator DeSmuME that can render games in higher than native resolutions. As I've never seen a DS emulator do this before I thought I'd test it out and take some screenshots. They don't scale up quite as nicely as PSP games or more recent consoles (as expected) but some games don't look half bad.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

LI5OXZP.png
t5zNX4H.png

Elite Beat Agents

VxWkQCh.png
cyh21Wd.png

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

cKlkZ2s.png
Xf5c5uE.png

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

LyHZ6X6.png
PkRhG2W.png

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

c4Vw5SN.png
MAV1zus.png

Metroid Prime Hunters

jeE4nIX.png
vVYErZ7.png

Ōkamiden

Zak2Xtn.png
tghuWLS.png

Pokémon Black Version 2

nyCT8M5.png
HT4NAEl.png

plainr_

The graphics for KH 358 is the reason why I haven't played it yet. This up-res looks pretty good actually I may finally give the game a shot.

Sophia

Golden Sun looks awful, lol. The rest aren't too bad. Metroid Prime, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest actually look pretty good blown up.

PsionBolt

The character models in Kingdom Hearts and Samus's arm cannon look surprisingly good.
Given the textures in these games, I'm not surprised at all at how bad everything else looks. That's more like what I was expecting.

PGamer

fucking juniors
You call this HD?

Yeah, I lied a bit (1024x768 vs. 1280x720). As far as I can tell the 4x rendering available in this DeSmuME fork is just some arbitrary value and someone more enterprising than myself could probably get it to go higher.

Refugio

Golden Sun text hard to read and hurts my eyes as does everything else in the pic of course. Metroid Prime looks pretty decent though. Wonder how the pinball one would look. That was pretty good looking game I think.

Dunno. I watched an hour of Gran Turismo yesterday and it manages to push a lot more.

DS graphics always felt like a half point between GBA and PS1 sadly.

Ehh.. those Metroid shots look pretty good I'd say. Up there with some of the better looking PS1 games. KH character models are also high-tier PS1 quality at least.

Top Bottom