• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

KAL2006

Banned
Obviously fake, but terrible decision from Nintendo for not having 2 analogs in the first place. Didn't they hear all those complaints from PSP. Just look at some of the games that have come out or coming (Splinter Cell, MGS3 and etc), those games are already suffering from bad controls due to no dual analogs. And for those who say 2 analogs is not beneficial, only needed for FPS games, thats bullshit, pretty much every game I have played on PS3/360 have used both analogs and all those games benfited from dual analogs no matter the genre (from Assassins Creed to Batman to COD to Uncharted and etc).

This sounds like BS to me. I don't believe Iwata is that dumb. The timing is so bad, it almost smells like FUD from the Vita camp.

I was just thinking yesterday could Nintendo rebrand the 3DS and instead of using 3D dev's could use that extra power for better graphics?

so after the 3ds light or whatever 3D becomes a option.

Delio said:
How would a dongle analog stick work? That little drawing just has it there but what is it even connecting too..

The only conceivable way I can think of would be a new cradle that includes an analog stick in the lower right. Which might be functional, but would be absolutely horrific from design and portability standpoints.

I don't know what's worse - opening up new threads every time a site spews out a new rumor, or the endless streams of people here who take it as fact.

"LOL should have waited longer, lol"

Sadness.

watershed

Banned
hang on, I just re-read the article intro. Their source has enough info and can leak with impunity to support a 5 part expose running all week? I'm calling bull.

Door2Dawn said:
TERRIBLE idea of true. You're basically admiting failure.

If the idea fails, they shouldn't stick with it regardless. That makes no business sense.

I'm not saying that 3DS is a failure, but if it were to become one, then they should be quick to admit the failing, learn from it, and move on to something better.

Takao

Banned
NateDrake said:
Not defending Nintendo here, if this is true it will suck big time for us early adopters, but why does every curse Nintendo/MS/Sony when this happens but camps at stores to get the new iPod/Pad with "Super Feature Turn the Volume Up with Voice" without any complaints or riots?

I have never bought an iOS device because I know in a few months Apple will announce something better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AceBandage said:
We all know that was Ubisoft.
Iwata even acknowledged it at E3.

Oh really? Source?

The source of this bit of "news" in particular seems to be more "western" according to the article.

Takao said:
If this is true I am never buying another piece of Nintendo hardware ever again. Cut the price less than six months after launch, have 0 major games within the first six months, release considerably better update next year? Fuck you.

You know I'm a big Nintendo fan but I'd have to say i'd feel just like you if this happened (except the never buying another nintendo hardware thing would be an empty threat on my part) . If this happens this would officially become the worst handled hardware release of all time, ALL TIME. Price drop i can accept, even releasing the red colored one I wanted is stomach-able but this........:|. Though my belief in this happening is close to absolute 0.

cacildo said:
The 3ds should be a cell phone.

Aside from this stupid opinion, i have one question: remember when we saw the 3ds in e32010 and we all (me) said "wow, that´s a buckload of 3rd party support"

What tha hell happened with that?

reggie_i_dunno.jpg

Aye. I really thought Nintendo would make headway into what the PSP market had (Metal Gear, Final Fantasy etc) and continue to bust out games like that. Nope.

NateDrake said:
Not defending Nintendo here, if this is true it will suck big time for us early adopters, but why does every curse Nintendo/MS/Sony when this happens but camps at stores to get the new iPod/Pad with "Super Feature Turn the Volume Up with Voice" without any complaints or riots?
Apple fans are a special kind of consumer sadist.

JasoNsider said:
I don't know what's worse - opening up new threads every time a site spews out a new rumor, or the endless streams of people here who take it as fact. Sadness.

lol yep. It's awesome though to see how gullible people are.

Valygar

I don't think it is true... but just in case i will refrain myself of buying a 3DS until I get tons of money - a new revision comes.

I mean, I would believe all points of the article (even a revision of the 3DS) but including a 2nd analog does not make sense.

Bryan1321

Banned
Wait!?

So this 3DS will be Graphically speaking the same, as the one we have now

Or nintendo is literally screwing the "old and new ambassadors" with a new console ?

My mind is full of duck

I want to know if the dev kit shortage news is true since maybe then, we could stop blaming third parties for everything that went wrong with the 3DS third party software situation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Takao said:
I have never bought an iOS device because I know in a few months Apple will announce something better.

That's.... odd. What are you really buying a device for, the "prestige" of owning a new device, or the actual content it provides? It sort of annoys me to read posts like this.

I said it in the other thread, they may have gotten a couple of things right on Vita and Wii U etc, but that doesn't mean they're always right...

it just reads like absolute bollocks. There's nowhere for an attachment to go, nothing for it to hook into, and wireless or some other hackery would be expensive and compromise resources during gameplay... I just don't see it happening when the only genre it benefits is FPS and third person brawlers with a mouselook type camera control -- something you can replicate reasonably enough on the touch screen.

AND add to the fact they've just issued a grovelling apology about a price drop, and given away a bunch of free shit... they're not going to alienate people even further with a hardware revision next year either. I'm sorry, but as much as some of you may want it, its not happening. DSphat sorely needed a revision, much moreso than 3DS, and that didn't get one until 18 months to two years after DSphats release...

The fact they're trying to make a story they apparently have stretch over 5 days tells me they're playing for hits.

This isn't a new thread for new news, its a new thread for crazy rumour and speculation.

Delio

Father_Brain said:
The only conceivable way I can think of would be a new cradle that includes an analog stick in the lower right. Which might be functional, but would be absolutely horrific from design and portability standpoints.

Yeah that just screamed at me as being a silly ass thing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And 3DS is already starting selling more, as Zelda's significant rise in UK for the second week on a row, reports from GameStop and the 200k in Japan suggest...so...

TheNatural

My Member!
I think some of it is true. Nintendo's probably going through an existential crisis right now with some of the stuff they are doing.

Maybe they are expiramenting with a second analog and a few other things, but the main point is how poor their dev kits are at getting out. There just seems to be some major organizartional problems inside Nintendo getting things out on time and being prepared, and its not like they've been swamped the past couple years.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bryan1321 said:
Wait!?

So this 3DS will be Graphically speaking the same, as the one we have now

Or nintendo is literally screwing the "old and new ambassadors" with a new console ?

My mind is full of duck

I'd imagine the device might receive a redesign, but the hardware will be the same. The 'toning down' of 3D will strictly be on marketing and branding.

BurntPork

Banned
This would be an absolute pure desperation move on Nintendo's part. If this happens I want it to be announced as part of Iwata's resignation letter.

Azure J

Is it odd that the first thing I thought of was all the talk back in '05 about DS being a sidestep to the next Gameboy (prior to DS going Super Sayian in sales ability)? It's like everything is coming full circle or something.

This model change to incorporate a second analog/slide pad or an analog attachment makes me both wonder what the fuck is going on a Nintendo and moderately excites me at the prospect of a better model (hopefully with better SYMMETRICAL screens and battery life).

Serenade said:
obligatory: glad i waited for the redesign
smiley_smug.gif

^^ Edit: OK, I'll bite. WAT? ^^

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, lowering the price, I'm fine with, but if they really did release such a system, I would be pissed. But I am just going to pretend this is baseless speculation till I hear such a thing from offical sorces.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not the first to say that this sounds ridiculous, but this sounds ridiculous. We know there will be hardware revisions, but this is beyond odd. I just don't see it happening, however I've been surprised before (and it's usually Nintendo I'm surprised by).

Elios83

If true it's basically like admitting defeat and launch a new handhled platform in a year time.
They will make the 3DS pass like a special 3D DS model and all the people who bought it will be fuck*d.
So I don't think it's likely......doesn't it?

"okay nintendo engineers, whats the fastest way we can destroy our brandname and sink the 3ds once and for all"

Gotta give them credit, this is an excellent way to reach their goal.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So now the rumor is suggesting that there will be a dongle next year and a redesigned, redubbed 3DS? If true, post price cut adopters will also feel betrayed. I wonder what title Nintendo will give them.

Top Bottom