• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

xfactor

Banned
-PXG- said:
Scribblenauts Preview/ Impressions Thread of Steak Babies

Change the tile now!!!!

"wah wah Scribblenauts looks so kiddish its a learning title for children system like the DS!"

In this game, you can use a baby as a food bait for lions.:D

Alphahawk

GDGF said:
:lol The ESRB are kind of fucked up.

Yeah, upon first reading it I thought that too, however given that ESRB doesn't actually play games it was probobly 5th cell who decided to tell them that you could attach steaks to babies.

livestOne

But can you summon some lions, Russell Crow and attach a steak to him?

Just so ya'll know I'm buying a ds just for this game, that's how much this thread(game) has impressed me :lol

Azure J

Wow, I just saw the ESRB descriptors and explanations up there and now I'm winded from laughter. :lol

GOTY 2009 needs to hurry up and be released already.

Out of all the examples they could have used....

I mean hell! You can arm a terrorist and have him fight off against a president. You can spill hot magma all over some cops. You can nuke a school full of children.

...but steaks on babies?

Jme

I bet they sent the ESRB description in like a mad lib, and that's what they filled out.

Originally it said:

Rating summary: This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., TOY, VEHICLE, ANIMAL) and watching it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a VEHICLE can be used to jump over a NOUN; a LARGE MACHINE can clear away a SEA CREATURE; and VEGETABLE can be fed to WILD ANIMAL. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a BLUNT WEAPON can be used to hit an animal; FOOD can be attached to a NOUN to attract lions; PROJECTILES can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects; bright, star-shaped flashes; or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

b.e.r.g

SirPenguin said:
http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/10/5th-cell-scribblenauts-would-definitely-work-on-other-platforms/ - Interviews...mentions how Scribblenauts could work on multiplatforms. Doh!
Other platforms is one thing, but I see this working nicely in other forms in general. Like a platformer with obstacles, or a point-and-click adventure. I mean, once you have a database of pretty much every object out there, you can't stop utilize it :p You have a huge responsibility now 5th Cell ;)

SirPenguin said:
Out of all the examples they could have used....

I mean hell! You can arm a terrorist and have him fight off against a president. You can spill hot magma all over some cops. You can nuke a school full of children.

...but steaks on babies?

I just love the implication here, too--I'm sure you only need the steak to attract lions, so the reviewer was clearly attempting to get the lion to eat the baby.

I'm keeping an eye on this game and will be picking it up if it does in the end get rave reviews, but I'm really not seeing where the hype is coming from for this title.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mr. Wonderful said:
I'm keeping an eye on this game and will be picking it up if it does in the end get rave reviews, but I'm really not seeing where the hype is coming from for this title.

Because there is absolutely nothing else out there like it.

MNC

PandaMadness--article_image.jpg

:lol

livestOne

Mr. Wonderful said:
flipping_heck said:
PandaMadness--article_image.jpg

Just saw the video, that is epic.. two pandas riding a unicycle with maxwell wearing a tophat+plank to get the starite..

this game is blowing my mind
NOW DO YOU SEE??!!

ONM's list of the words they tried. I'm sure you'll notice a few weird things.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=101929378099

Evening chaps and chapesses, Chris here!

As promised, her'es the list of words you asked me to try in Scribblenauts and the results.

First of all, here are the words that DIDN'T appear in the game. It's worth bearing in mind though that many of these words are either not objects, not in the dictionary, trademarks or rude, so they really weren't meant to be in there in the first place anyway. Here are the ones that didn't make it:

PERPETUALITY (not an object)
INTERNET
SANDBOARD
DELTOID
SHOVELWARE (on Nintendo? Are you mad? lol)
ANTIMACASSAR
MISANTHROPE
PLUMBOB (not in dictionary)
GLITCH
ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM (not an object)
COULROPHOBE
BOOBS (not an object)
JEDI (trademarked)
ONM (not in dictionary)
MEANING OF LIFE (not an object)
DS (trademarked)
HAMMER OF THOR (not in dictionary)
DANCING BANANA (not in dictionary)
USB STICK
RAPTOR JESUS (not in dictionary, potentially blasphemous)
SHOOP DA WOOP (not in dictionary)
ANNUAL
LEG WOUND
RUPEE
RUDOLPH

Now then, here are the words you suggested that ARE in the game:

SIBERIAN HUSKY
WALLPAPER
ACTOR
DESERT
GOGGLES
BANDANA
FINGERLESS GLOVES
SKI LIFT
FLANNEL
VACUUM
PEPPER (both the condiment and the vegetable)
COUCH
BANDICOOT
FLAG
HOSE
NAPPY (you can put it on him)
WATCH
TATTOO (makes a sheet of stick-on tattoos)
MUSHROOM
BOMBARD (makes a cannon)
SEISMOMETER
LOBSTER
MAGIC EGG (same as a normal egg)
EMO
DEATH
LIMBS
STARITE (but it's a fake one)
MAGIC
EVERYTHING
UNIVERSE
C4 (input CFOUR)
MELON
JUDGE
JEWEL CASE (but makes a Jewellery Box)
SD CARD (but makes a playing card)
CANVAS
SOLAR SYSTEM (but makes a star)
GALAXY
PISTOL
LED
RICKROLL (makes Rick Astley appear)
PEANUT
CHEERLEADER
LASER SWORD (but makes a normal sword)
GUITAR
GLASSES
AISLE
TREBUCHET
I CAN HAZ CHEEZBURGER (makes a cheeseburger)
PENGUIN
KETCHUP
STAPLER
DICTIONARY
SCRIBBLENAUTS (makes the orginal character design)
5TH CELL (makes the developer's logo)
LOLWUT (makes his head huge)
MORON (makes a dunce)
CHIMPANZEE
PENCIL
PAINT
BERET
SHOTGUN
CHAINSAW
TENNIS RACQUET
COMPUTER
GAS
SYNTHESIZER
CHEESE
REMOTE
CREDIT CARD -
SCISSORS
TWEEZERS
LAWNMOWER
FISHING ROD
INLINE SKATES
WASHING MACHINE
CARAMEL
STARFRUIT
PENNY FARTHING
TOAD
TSUNAMI
ABYSS
SPY (makes a Ninja)
LOLLIPOP
MONEY
TOAST
CAMERA
BABOON
ZOETROPE

Weird things:
-Internet isn't it? But it was in the E3 build!
-lolwut was confirmed in, but the description he gives is weird
-Spy is a Ninja? lame
-Solar System is just a star? lame
-Plumbob isn't in the game, despite that legendary text message sent out at E3!

Cool stuff:
EVERYTHING ELSE HOLY FUCK

Blizzard

Banned
charlequin said:
It's spelled "plumb-bob."
Yep, and people pointed out it was misspelled. I'd be surprised if it's in.

Sad that misanthropes aren't in the game, though. Looks like JACKSON MISLED US. :O

I'm also surprised about Internet, since I almost thought that was in one of the videos, or at least impressions. *shrug* :)

Internet WAS confirmed in some preview. It spawned a little computer apparently.

Also, I compiled a list of "legit" failed words, which came out to only 4:

INTERNET
DELTOID
ANTIMACASSAR
RUPEE

Rupee being the currency of India, of course.

The rest failed due to being not an object, trademarked, not in the dictionary, or too specific.

Hey Jackson, it's been awhile since you were bugged with an asinine question...maybe that means you're more willing to answer this!

When you say 220 levels, do you mean unique levels? So far every preview - including the recent stuff put out today - says that there's 10 worlds. We know that The Garden has 11 levels, so it's safe to assume each world also has 11 levels...making 110 total, which is exactly half of the 220 value.

Other worlds could have more, but even in screenshots of the "late game" worlds we've never seen a level numbered above 10 or 11, and each world would need to have at least 23 levels each (to hit 220), which seems high.

I guess I'm worried that because 110 is exactly half that means there's going to be some new game mode which has you replaying all 110 levels again only with some minor alteration. And to me, that's definitely not 220. Are my fears warranted, or are the 220 levels unique?

Forkball

Well deltoid is a muscle so how would the even appear? Just a red blotch? Maybe if you type in muscle something appears but I doubt specific ones would.

xfactor

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Hey Jackson, it's been awhile since you were bugged with an asinine question...maybe that means you're more willing to answer this!

When you say 220 levels, do you mean unique levels? So far every preview - including the recent stuff put out today - says that there's 10 worlds. We know that The Garden has 11 levels, so it's safe to assume each world also has 11 levels...making 110 total, which is exactly half of the 220 value.

Other worlds could have more, but even in screenshots of the "late game" worlds we've never seen a level numbered above 10 or 11, and each world would need to have at least 23 levels each (to hit 220), which seems high.

I guess I'm worried that because 110 is exactly half that means there's going to be some new game mode which has you replaying all 110 levels again only with some minor alteration. And to me, that's definitely not 220. Are my fears warranted, or are the 220 levels unique?

how do you know the garden has 11 levels? the E3 videos?

xfactor said:
how do you know the garden has 11 levels? the E3 videos?

Yeah, and in the latest pictures from Gamestop we can see that the Gardens has two "sheets" of levels to choose from in the Level Editor, and each sheet has room for 6 levels.

Further, like I said, despite seeing pictures of some of the later worlds (indeed, I think some of them are from world 10, the Mish Mash level) we've never seen a level numbered higher than 11.

I'm just hoping Jackson can calm my fears!

SirPenguin said:

There are action and puzzle levels. There's probably 110 of each.

xfactor

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Yeah, and in the latest pictures from Gamestop we can see that the Gardens has two "sheets" of levels to choose from in the Level Editor, and each sheet has room for 6 levels.

Further, like I said, despite seeing pictures of some of the later worlds (indeed, I think some of them are from world 10, the Mish Mash level) we've never seen a level numbered higher than 11.

I'm just hoping Jackson can calm my fears!

If i am not wrong, he mentioned that the 10 levels you see in that E3 demo build were from the various worlds, thus there is a possibility that will be more than 10 levels for each world. =/

charlequin said:
There are action and puzzle levels. There's probably 110 of each.

You know, it wasn't at E3, but I think you're right.

955689_20090709_790screen002.jpg

Here you can see all puzzle levels, with a little explosion thing in the corner...which corresponds to this...

955689_20090603_790screen001.jpg

As you can see, the icon next to the level number is an explosion, not a puzzle piece

So it seems the game does differentiate between the two modes, and yeah, it's probably 11 levels each per world.

neat.

Jackson

internet is in the game, plumbob is too, pretty sure usb stick is as well... maybe just as usb?

lolwut = epicness

There's 220 unique levels, the game is divided between action and puzzle.

also SHOOP DA WOOP ?? Seriously? You'd even test that? Awful.

Jackson said:
internet is in the game, plumbob is too, pretty sure usb stick is as well... maybe just as usb?

lolwut = epicness

There's 220 unique levels, the game is divided between action and puzzle.

also SHOOP DA WOOP ?? Seriously? You'd even test that? Awful.

Rock on all accounts. Thanks much.

Victrix

*beard*
it is the sandbox game, as you can create a sandbox, put a baby in it, then stick a steak on said baby and attract some lions

really, the purpose of gaming

Top Bottom