• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite DLC: Clash in the Clouds (Horde) & Burial At Sea (Rapture) revealed

A NOTE ON SPOILERS
There are people in this thread discussing BioShock Infinite ending spoilers. Some directly. Some indirectly. Neither are acceptable outside spoiler tags. Also, please avoid backseat moderating. Moderators are aware of this thread, and you can infer by action or inaction what we think of moderation suggestions. Thanks. I've given the benefit of the doubt so far by deleting posts instead of taking action but if people keep indirectly spoiling the ending of the game I will have to treat it like an intentional spoiler situation.

Clash in the Clouds trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaSBd2YiSUs OUT NOW!
Burial At Sea trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJBFRBl36w&feature=youtu.be

Eurogamer said:
The first of BioShock Infinite's three promised instalments of downloadable content is finished and goes on sale today, Irrational Games has revealed.

However, the bigger news is that the second and third DLC packs will form a two-part detective story set in Rapture.

Called Burial at Sea, it will star Booker and Elizabeth as private investigator and femme fatale respectively, and you will get to play as both of them.

The DLC pack released today is called Clash in the Clouds. It's a wave-based arena game that makes the most of Infinite's varied combat system.

It also includes new voxophones, written by creative director Ken Levine, as well as kinetoscopes and other unlockable goodies to keep fans happy.

Clash in the Clouds will cost $5 on Steam, where it should be live at 12pm ET / 5pm BST / 6pm CEST.

Irrational said PlayStation Network and Xbox Live versions will appear as soon as Sony and Microsoft push the button on their weekly updates.

So is Clash of the Clouds any good? You can find out by reading my BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds review. (Spoiler: it's not bad, as stopgaps go.)

As for Burial at Sea Episode One and Two, we don't know exactly when they will be released, but Levine indicated to me that Part One would arrive this year, while Part Two will probably be along a little later.

Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958, the night of the bombing that was the beginning of the end for Rapture. In the first episode you play as Booker, and then in the second episode you play as Elizabeth.

"At the very beginning, you're Booker, private detective in Rapture, in your office and this woman comes in, and you two don't seem to know each other, and we don't explain that," Levine told me.

"We always like to put people in a place where there's a story that ends up making sense, but we don't want the obvious... We like people immediately having a sense of wondering what's going on."

Interestingly, both Clash in the Clouds and Burial at Sea are entirely new content, with Irrational keen to avoid scraping things back up off the cutting room floor.

"We have a bit of a different approach to some people to DLC," Levine explained to journalists who assembled at a Boston hotel for the unveilings.

"When we started this, we really tried to listen to the fans, and to us the fans were clearly saying to us, look, we want the A team on the DLC, we want the same team who did the actual game, we don't want it to be stuff that's on the disc, we don't want it to be stuff that some marketing guy came in and said 'leave that aside'.

"So basically the day we finished - literally, pretty much the day we finished Infinite, we went to work on the DLC, starting pretty much from scratch on the game content."

While Clash in the Clouds is "a sort of a compromise between timeliness and scale", with no huge build-up, Burial at Sea is "a bit of a love letter to the fans", Levine said.

"We're pretty deep into this one - we're about to enter beta. I've been working on this with a lot of the narrative team since we shipped Infinite.

"So it's a two-part experience... The second part has a slight twist to it. You play Booker obviously in the first one, but we were listening to the fans and we know how they feel about Elizabeth, and we decided we wanted to shift things around a little for the third one, so the player character in the third DLC, you get to play Elizabeth, and the gameplay is quite different as her.

"She's not the tank that Booker is, and we'll see how all the story's coming together."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-bioshock-infinite-dlc-will-take-you-back-to-rapture.

Old thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638153

So the first DLC is just an arena mode with some goodies, and then there's a two-part DLC that takes place in Rapture, of which one part will come this year and one a "little bit later". The latter looks really cool. I'd like to wander a Rapture before it went totally shit and when it still had friendly NPCs. I liked the atmosphere in the book and would love to see that in the game.

Eurogamer BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds review

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-bioshock-infinite-dlc-will-take-you-back-to-rapture

"The first of BioShock Infinite's three promised instalments of downloadable content is finished and goes on sale today, Irrational Games has revealed.

However, the bigger news is that the second and third DLC packs will form a two-part detective story set in Rapture. "Called Burial at Sea, it will star Booker and Elizabeth as private investigator and femme fatale respectively, and you will get to play as both of them. The DLC pack released today is called Clash in the Clouds. It's a wave-based arena game that makes the most of Infinite's varied combat system. It also includes new voxophones, written by creative director Ken Levine, as well as kinetoscopes and other unlockable goodies to keep fans happy.

Clash in the Clouds will cost $5 on Steam, where it should be live at 12pm ET / 5pm BST / 6pm CEST. Irrational said PlayStation Network and Xbox Live versions will appear as soon as Sony and Microsoft push the button on their weekly updates.

As for Burial at Sea Episode One and Two, we don't know exactly when they will be released, but Levine indicated to me that Part One would arrive this year, while Part Two will probably be along a little later.

Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958, the night of the bombing that was the beginning of the end for Rapture. In the first episode you play as Booker, and then in the second episode you play as Elizabeth. "At the very beginning, you're Booker, private detective in Rapture, in your office and this woman comes in, and you two don't seem to know each other, and we don't explain that," Levine told me.

"We always like to put people in a place where there's a story that ends up making sense, but we don't want the obvious... We like people immediately having a sense of wondering what's going on."

Interestingly, both Clash in the Clouds and Burial at Sea are entirely new content, with Irrational keen to avoid scraping things back up off the cutting room floor. "We have a bit of a different approach to some people to DLC," Levine explained to journalists who assembled at a Boston hotel for the unveilings.

"When we started this, we really tried to listen to the fans, and to us the fans were clearly saying to us, look, we want the A team on the DLC, we want the same team who did the actual game, we don't want it to be stuff that's on the disc, we don't want it to be stuff that some marketing guy came in and said 'leave that aside'.

"So basically the day we finished - literally, pretty much the day we finished Infinite, we went to work on the DLC, starting pretty much from scratch on the game content." While Clash in the Clouds is "a sort of a compromise between timeliness and scale", with no huge build-up, Burial at Sea is "a bit of a love letter to the fans", Levine said. "We're pretty deep into this one - we're about to enter beta. I've been working on this with a lot of the narrative team since we shipped Infinite.

"So it's a two-part experience... The second part has a slight twist to it. You play Booker obviously in the first one, but we were listening to the fans and we know how they feel about Elizabeth, and we decided we wanted to shift things around a little for the third one, so the player character in the third DLC, you get to play Elizabeth, and the gameplay is quite different as her.

"She's not the tank that Booker is, and we'll see how all the story's coming together."

To read more about that, check out my BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea interview with Ken Levine."

Chokomofo

Banned
Man, they really got boned by people (myself included) that hate hearing about DLC so close to launch... I feel like the time to cash in on BioShock fever was before TLOU and E3. I liked me some BioShock: Infinite, but I won't be going back for the DLC, sadly. That ship has sailed...

I think I'm starting to reconsider how much I dislike first-month DLC. First day DLC is still sketchy to me, though.

At any rate, I'm sure any DLC will be great.

EDIT: Part 2 of the detective DLC will be "later along" than this year? Jeez.

dLZSQn3.jpg

So furore or satisfied?

They admit Clash in the Clouds is a stopgap. It's a shame we won't see much more of Columbia - I thought Infinite was about expanding the series beyond Rapture, so it's a bit of surprise to be heading back there.

Seeing it before and after the fall though, and with Booker and Elizabeth? It's going to be a long wait.

mocoworm

Clash in the Clouds - REVIEW:

Click for FULL review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-bioshock-infinite-clash-in-the-clouds-review

"Even leaving aside what Clash in the Clouds isn't, however, the reaction may still be mixed. It's pretty good value at just $5, and if you feel as though you mastered the combat in BioShock Infinite and fancy a new, more competitive challenge, it will feel even more valuable and keep you going for quite some time. But while I enjoyed the early sections, prancing around trying the various approaches the blue ribbon challenges nudged me towards, by the end I was too brutalised to continue experimenting and mostly just playing to unlock things.

It's a shame the designers couldn't find a way to keep things casual as well for players who just want to embrace that combat creativity, so potent in the early waves on Ops Zeal. Instead the balance is quickly tipped away from us and Clash in the Clouds becomes another hardcore mode. That's fine, but there was the potential here to draw out the elusive richness of BioShock Infinite's combat and turn it into a series of madcap slapstick challenges. Going hardcore again feels like a narrow interpretation of what made this part of the game good.

As stopgaps go, I'll still take it, but I'm also conscious that I could very well leave it, and simply settle in for the hopefully not-too-long wait for Burial at Sea."

7/10

zakislam

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdgtlHuKpw

Press release:

Come back to Rapture in a story that finds Booker and Elizabeth on the eve of the underwater city's fall from grace. Developed by Irrational Games, the developer of the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite, this DLC features Rapture as you've never seen it before—a shining jewel at the bottom of the ocean, built almost entirely from scratch in the BioShock Infinite engine. Gameplay has been modified to give the player an original BioShock combat experience that merges the best parts of BioShock and BioShock Infinite.

Explore the city when it was at the height of its beauty, meet some old "friends," and make some new ones, all through the eyes of Booker DeWitt. Why are Booker and Elizabeth in Rapture? What was the city like before everything fell to pieces? The answers to these questions and more will be found in BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea -- Episode 1. This pack is included in the BioShock Infinite Season Pass.

Also in development at Irrational Games, BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea* is a two-part add-on campaign featuring an all-new story for Booker and Elizabeth, set in the underwater city of Rapture before its fall. These two campaigns will be available individually for £9.99 (1200 Microsoft Points), and are also included as part of the BioShock Infinite Season Pass.

“We are really excited to offer our fans the content that they have been asking for,” said Ken Levine, creative director of Irrational Games. “With Clash in the Clouds, people get a pure action experience that takes BioShock Infinite combat to its highest challenge and intensity level. With the Burial at Sea episodes, we are building a Rapture-based narrative experience that is almost entirely built from scratch.”

The BioShock Infinite Season Pass is available now for £15.99 (1600 Microsoft Points) and includes all three pieces of add-on content, as well as the Early Bird Special Pack, which includes powerful weapon upgrades, exclusive gold weapon skins and infusion bottles to upgrade abilities.

Kurdel

Banned
Anyone notice the tag.ine?

"More game, more story, more adventure"

The two other DLC packs might be less gameplay focused...

gribbles

Banned
I'm assuming this will be a Booker and Elizabeth from one of the alternate dimensions, since OUR B&E (the one in the main game) only went there briefly at the end of the game.

As a BioShock 1 fanboy you have no idea how much I am freaking out over this piece of DLC. I have always wanted to see rapture before it fell and now I finally get to do that! :D

Tampinha

So much to explore in Columbia and we go back to Rapture? It's probably going to be good but i wish they explored things like Songbird instead.

Lexxon

Excited for the story DLC for sure. This one, however....not worth reinstalling the game for. Not yet at least.

I got the season pass with Amazon's 2k preorder credit, so I'm bought in regardless.

stupid_dad

Neo Member
Got to say I feel let down by this but at least I now know not to buy a season pass ever again ...no one to blame but me

Sounds like this will be more adventure/exploration focused instead of just running around shooting things. Oh my god its gonna be so amazing

I-hate-u

Freaking AWFUL. Unlike many here I did not have a grudge against the gameplay of Bioshock Infitite but it wasn't why I played the game. Now they have an entire DLC based of the weakest aspect of the game.

So glad I did not buy the season pass. I feel for those who did.

EDIT: Did not see Burial At Sea. NVM then.

Jinjo

This sounds like some obligatory DLC pack just to fill up the season pass. I'll pass thank you. Burial at Sea does sound cool.

The kicker is that if those two parts are 1600 together, I might just as well get the season pass. Filler DLC confirmed. Damn you Irrational.

I don't get why everyone's pissed about the wave based thing. It's 5 bucks, has replay value, and behind the scenes content to tide us Over until the meaty story DLC releases.

marrec

Banned
Burial at Sea seems cool, except that it takes place in Rapture.

Clash in the Clouds seems laughable. Basing a DLC on the awful combat from Bioshock Infinite? Thanks, but no.

Vico

I can't be the only one disappointed by the fact that this is set on Rapture, right?
I mean, it's cool that we'll get to see the city before it fell, but it's a DLC for Infinite, and I want more Columbia...

Top Bottom