• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

giggas

Hey, not sure if anyone already posted about this, I just searched and didn't see anything. Feel free to lock if it's already around.

The new issue of Nintendo Power has a big 7 page feature on Bioware's Sonic RPG. I haven't given a shit about Sonic in ages, but I gotta say it looks like Bioware might do the franchise well. The graphics are really nice, all of the backgrounds have a water color look to them and they all appear hand drawn. A rather refreshing change of pace. Battles look to take place in 3D environments. I haven't read much yet but it looks like you can have up to 4 party members at a time, including dopes like Big The Cat.

sonic_rpg_np.jpg

-Cover Story with nice artwork
-In game graphics have a water color look, all hand drawn
-4 party members at a time
-Each character can do certain things ex: Tails can float over things (standard stuff)
-11 party members total - 7 known are Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, Big the Cat
-Control done fully with stylus - think Hourglass
-Able to split party into teams at certain moments
-Rings are used as currency
-No random battles, see enemies on the field
-Turn based battles, choose commands for everyone in your party before they actually follow through. Want battles to be fast paced
-Elite Beat Agents style special attacks
-Team attacks (like Chrono Trigger)
-"Fatigue Points" instead of MP
-Choose which attributes to increase when you level up
-Purchase and level special attacks
-Bits of story - Sonic's on vacation from defeating Eggman 2 years ago. Gets a call from Tails that Knuckles has been kidnapped by a group called the Marauders, and that 6 chaos emeralds are missing. Eggman not the main villain. But Bioware wants to make him a creditable bad guy again. Something about a "twist" between Eggman and Sonic that goes back to the earlier games.
-2 acts - first takes place in standard Sonic areas. 2nd takes place in a darker world
-Remixed classic tunes
-"fully animated cut scenes"
-simple dialogue trees
-Side quests

The interview didn't reveal much about the game. Mostly just a "get to know Bioware" for the Nintendo folk. They did basically say that they wanted everyone to love Big The Cat... so I guess he's going to be important. NP questioned them about Wii development and they basically said "go away" in so little words.

Firestorm

Yeah it's supposed to be the cover story but I haven't got it yet =(
No scans are allowed. Give us a summary =)

I was personally hoping it would take place in the Sonic comics/darker tv show universe with Knothole Village and stuff. Would make for an interesting story and setting.

jvalioli

Firestorm said:
Yeah it's supposed to be the cover story but I haven't got it yet =(
No scans are allowed. Give us a summary =)

I was personally hoping it would take place in the Sonic comics/darker tv show universe with Knothole Village and stuff. Would make for an interesting story and setting.
I was hoping for this too. The Sonic comics were pretty great and there is a ton of material to work with.

Any game that will give you the opportunity to bitch slap one of Sonic's shitty friends in a dialogue wheel is a winner in my book.

I_D

giggas said:
Hey, not sure if anyone already posted about this, I just searched and didn't see anything. Feel free to lock if it's already around.

The new issue of Nintendo Power has a big 7 page feature on Bioware's Sonic RPG. I haven't given a shit about Sonic in ages, but I gotta say it looks like Bioware might do the franchise well. The graphics are really nice, all of the backgrounds have a water color look to them and they all appear hand drawn. A rather refreshing change of pace. Battles look to take place in 3D environments. I haven't read much yet but it looks like you can have up to 4 party members at a time, including dopes like Big The Cat.

Just thought you guys would like to know. Anyone want scans?

edit: I'll read the article and post the good stuff...

PM me some scans?

Lonesome_Raod said:
wasn't there a surfergirl rumor saying sega was publishing a dark brotherhood game by a western publisher?

She said it was an "action-RPG from a Western developer." Technically, that's correct, though you'd have to ask her if she thought it was a separate game.

Anyway, post gameplay details. The signature element of the Sonic series (speed) is hardly a natural fit for an RPG, so I'm really curious about how BioWare is handling this.

Gagaman

NOT the American comics. Way too much complicated bullshit with way too many characters (you think the games have too many characters?). The British comics, however...:D

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Darn no scanning rules!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
need more info/scans! I'm quite intrigued about this game since it was announced last year.

Firestorm

Gagaman said:
NOT the American comics. Way too much complicated bullshit with way too many characters (you think the games have too many characters?). The British comics, however...:D

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Darn no scanning rules!

Too many characters maybe, but most are fleshed out. I haven't really paid attention since the 50th issue though. I had mostly the mini-series and stuff. Was cleaning out my desk and found a bunch of them (End-Game, Death Egg Saga, bunch of specials, Knuckles Mini Series #3). They wouldn't have to use the storylines from the comic, but just set in that particular universe with just the core Freedom Fighters and even the Chaotix against Robotnik, Snively, and the Swatbots + whatever crazy shit they can fight.

For an RPG, I just think that universe gives them more to work with story-wise than Sonic in the real world.

Me said:
Sonic RPG would be great if it's like Paper Mario, a total joke on itself, BUT THEY'RE NOT GONNA DO IT! IT'S GONNA BE THE SAME FINAL FANTASY SHIT FROM NEXT GEN SONIC!!

I hate it when I'm right. :'(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'll keep an open mind. Just that anything to do with Sonic, characters and a storyline ends in nothing but failure.

jvalioli

Gagaman said:
Haha. Well, I liked the American comics before Sonic Adventure came out and they tried those tie-ins.

Amir0x

Banned
I know I said I gave up on SEGA after the NiGHTS debacle, but I lied. After THIS, I give up on them. BioWare will clearly create the final good SEGA game.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
As much as I want to like this...a title as cheesy and melodramatic as that can't be a good sign. I have this dread that this game is going to take itself far too seriously.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just out of curiosity, do all you people bolding the letters P and M in their tiny little posts think their funny?

GAFs got a lot of clowns these days.

Ten-Song

I really WANT this game to be good, as I'm a big Bioware fan, and a huge Sonic fan... but the track record for modern Sonic games... Yeah, I'll need to see a lot more on this game before I put my fears tor rest. There's far more that can go wrong for this game right now then there is that can go right.

Xav

I don't understand what you guys are getting excited about, who in the world told you a Sonic RPG was a good idea. Let's take Sonic known his for amazing speed and put him in the slowest genre ever, RPG's.
Someone needs to tell Bioware making Sonic slow is not a good idea.

Sonic_Labyrinth_Box.jpg

Oh wait it's Bioware, first DS game with screen tearing confirmed.

Gigglepoo

Gamer @ Heart said:
God, i would give anything for a bioware RPG on the DS without sonic. *sigh* I just dont like sonic.

I feel the same way. But my love for Bioware supersedes my hatred of Sonic. Barely.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Himuro said:
Sega has been pretty awesome lately. Maybe your tastes are just questionable. They are an amazing publisher.

maybe?
it's certainly an established creed

Top Bottom