• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and that 'Fall 2017' release window

OP

just one word

AGENT

"coming soon for ps3"

Closing in on 10 years on this, jesus.

I can see what you mean, but with this one it seems a bit more vague with "coming soon" rather than a specific time frame. Also that Agent page probably hasn't been updated in forever(?).

Rockstar is notorious for announcing their games and not releasing any media for them till about two three months before release. They did it for the last two GTA games and the previous Red Dead Redemption, so expect the same thing here.

We might get a screenshot or a trailer in June during Sony's E3 if we're lucky. I'm 99% sure it's coming out this year.

Didn't they announce the GTAV remaster at the Sony conference?

Yes. Completely unexpected when it happened. I'm expecting it again this year. A short 4-5 minute trailer, with a release date, if it hasn't already been revealed at that point.

GTAV 360/PS3 didn't really have a strong marketing deal, I think it had some consoles for PS3 but that was it. That ramped up with the PS4/XB1 version. It seems to be going further with RDR. I would be shocked if nothing was shown at E3. I'm not expecting it to be playable though.

Nope, I think it will get delayed like a lot of their games do, R* release games when they are ready because their games make a shit ton of money, so they have the luxury of not having the publisher pushing them for a release, like normally happens with other developers.

I really hope I'm wrong of course but I can see it slipping to 2018.

kevin1025

Banned
Once I saw Everybody's Golf, Uncharted, and Yakuza (before this becomes the sticking point, I know this is not a Sony game) coming all in a 7-day span of August, I'm thinking it's coming in late September or October. Sony has (so far) avoided putting a game in the fall, outside of likely Gran Turismo Sport. With the marketing push, it might be effectively treated as their fall game, alongside Destiny 2.

We might get a trailer during Sony's conference, and then a full preview blowout in the summer.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft holding it for the Scorpio reveal???

It's a Sony marketed game so that doesn't seem likely.

I wonder if they're planning a GTAV update (not new content but an engine upgrade or something) for the new consoles instead and pushing Red Dead back a bit. That game is still massive.

cakely

My guess is some weird date like May 2018.

Rockstar ships games when they consider them ready. It's not like they need to hit a specific window to sell more copies.

bombshell

Once I saw Everybody's Golf, Uncharted, and Yakuza (before this becomes the sticking point, I know this is not a Sony game) coming all in a 7-day span of August, I'm thinking it's coming in late September or October. Sony has (so far) avoided putting a game in the fall, outside of likely Gran Turismo Sport. With the marketing push, it might be effectively treated as their fall game, alongside Destiny 2.

Yep, I think late September or early to mid October too.

That would give Destiny 2 early September, RDR2 early October, CoD WWII early November and Star Wars Battlefront II mid November, all Sony marketed. They will stay the hell away with their own games, except for maybe GT Sport.

I wonder if they're planning a GTAV update (not new content but an engine upgrade or something) for the new consoles instead and pushing Red Dead back a bit. That game is still massive.

Would be nice to get Pro (and Scorpio) support for GTA V, as the game is still supported and still selling but I wouldn't want RDR2 being pushed for that reason.

Once I saw Everybody's Golf, Uncharted, and Yakuza coming all in a 7-day span of August, I'm thinking it's coming in late September or October. Sony has (so far) avoided putting a game in the fall, outside of likely Gran Turismo Sport. With the marketing push, it might be effectively treated as their fall game, alongside Destiny 2.

I'm getting the same vibes from, The Surge, Prey, Agents of Mayhem and Shadow of War coming out in very odd months. Some of the prior games from these developers were full on fall titles. Nobody wants to be anywhere near the Fall this year. Though to be fair, Prey is because, imo, I think Bethesda is releasing a game this fall too.

Elandyll

Banned
It's funny as it seems people would be actually more surprised by RDR2 making 2017 than not (never really followed Rockstar, and yes I'm one of "those people" who still don't have GTA5)

When would they have shown off more of the game at this point? What benefit would that have?

They announced the game, it got the attention that they wanted, now they wait for an optimal event to show off some gameplay, then the game comes out.

I don't see Rockstar showing off large portions of this game pre-release, they don't need too. Even if the game is going to be delayed, they would still have footage they could show off.

I'm not sure if it will hit it's release window, but the lack of information or footage from the game isn't really an indicator of that. At least not at this point.

My guess.... Since Sony has an exclusive marketing deal, they will probably tease it more at E3. Shortly after E3 there will be a Game Informer Cover reveal. Then we will start to see official gameplay videos after that, detailing some of the features in the game leading up to the games release.

OR.....

We soon get a Rockstar Newswire update stating that they need more time to work on the game and to wait for more details in the future.

I know one of the last big updates they are doing for GTA Online is the Gun Running update due out this summer. I don't know if they will do an engine upgrade.

Podge293

Microsoft holding it for the Scorpio reveal???

Think Sony confirmed they've marketing rights for it when the trailer initially launched.

I'm in the 2017 release date camp. Can't see why they wouldn't and it's not unprecedented for games to do it.

And it's rockstar, they've proofed themselves over the years of quality games. They don't need a hype machine running.

E3 gameplay, release date for October. Boom done

FelipeMGM

My guess.... Since Sony has an exclusive marketing deal, they will probably tease it more at E3. Shortly after E3 there will be a Game Informer Cover reveal. Then we will start to see official gameplay videos after that, detailing some of the features in the game leading up to the games release.

OR.....

We soon get a Rockstar Newswire update stating that they need more time to work on the game and to wait for more details in the future.

Which would be the exact same situation that happened with GTA V

A year after the reveal trailer we got another trailer together with a delay announcement

Bahorel

Think Sony confirmed they've marketing rights for it when the trailer initially launched.

I'm in the 2017 release date camp. Can't see why they wouldn't and it's not unprecedented for games to do it.

And it's rockstar, they've proofed themselves over the years of quality games. They don't need a hype machine running.

E3 gameplay, release date for October. Boom done

Also Sony has become the go to now for blowout conferences, if they have the ability to show it they will definitely do it. They want to be king of e3 from now on.

Really can't see this coming out this year. It's the only game I'm really excited for, and I could see Rockstar using the Scorpio/Pro as an excuse to delay the game for another 6 months into Q1/Q2 2018 in order to polish an enhanced version of the game.

It would follow the GTAV media cycle as well. Announcement trailer revealing the city and general ideas of the game, followed by a media blackout for nearly a year, and then a follow up announcement showing more of the story premise, gameplay shots, and a delay.

Haha, I couldn't remember a proven instance...but clearly that's just a case of my memory failing me.

Aye they don't come out with enough games for it to be remembered when the next one gets delayed, but every major Rockstar title since GTA: Vice City has been delayed in some way, some for over a year.

Lemme think...

GTA III was delayed, but this was mostly because if 9/11. The game was supposed to come out in September or early Oct of 2011, but there was a mission that had to be removed, where a player was supposed to fly the Dodo into a building, and so after 9/11 it had to be cut. There was already some antagonism against the game because prominent screenshots features the player firing AK-47s at police and firefighters, and being set in New York City just in the aftermath of 9/11, the optics were bad. There's some speculation that this is also why they clipped the wings of the dodo so it really couldn't be flown.

GTA Vice CIty came out on time.

GTA San Andreas was delayed by a month close to release.

GTA IV was supposed to be released October 2007, but in August 2007 they announced it'd be delayed until April 2008.

Red Dead Redemption was delated about a month from April 2010 to May 2010.

GTA V was delayed for a year IIRC, though the only firm dates were from April 2013 to Sept 2013.

I don't know the specifics of games like Max Payne, Table Tennis, or other less impactful games. Looking back it doesn't seem as bad, though in the moment I remember there being a lot more projections of release dates, only to hear nothing for weeks or months, speculation of the delays, and then finally confirmation from Rockstar a few weeks before the planned release.

I dont think it's coming this year. I also don't think they'll show anything at E3 - they don't need that stage, they get everyone talking with their own videos. No point sharing the limelight with a slew of other announcements.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'd be surprised if it did come out this year. First thing I thought when I saw Fall 2017 was that it'd be out in 2018.

It's gonna get delayed I think. Rockstar never learn.

I dont think it's coming this year. I also don't think they'll show anything at E3 - they don't need that stage, they get everyone talking with their own videos. No point sharing the limelight with a slew of other announcements.

YEp, and if my aging memory is serving me correctly, this is what they did with GTA V and RDR 2 last year. They revealed their trailers the same week as E3, but not at any E3 show or during any pressers.

I'd be surprised if it did come out this year. First thing I thought when I saw Fall 2017 was that it'd be out in 2018.

It's gonna get delayed I think. Rockstar never learn.

Really, I'd say "We" never learn, not so much Rockstar. Pachter originally predicted the GTAIV delay from 2007 to 2008 as a way to bolster investor confidence for the slow 2007 for Take2 and then rake in sales for 2008... Basically spreading investment over 6 months.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Rockstar don't need e3. Are we forgetting what they did? They put up just their logo on a red background which hinted at Red Dead and everyone lost their mind. Lots of other studios would spend so much money/time announcing a game but Rockstar have only so far shown off an image, a trailer, and given an official announcement. Probably cost them peanuts.

Rockstar don't do e3. If anything happens then it's sony or microsoft that talk about it. Rockstar don't turn up.

J_Viper

Has Rockstar ever hit their first targeted release date?

It'd be great if this came out in 2017, but I don't see that happening

when they said fall 2017, they actually meant that's when they were going to announce the delay for early 2018

that's why i never include it in threads of best year for gaming threads

AndyVirus

Rockstar is notorious for announcing their games and not releasing any media for them till about two three months before release. They did it for the last two GTA games and the previous Red Dead Redemption, so expect the same thing here.

We might get a screenshot or a trailer in June during Sony's E3 if we're lucky. I'm 99% sure it's coming out this year.

GTA 4 trailer 1: March 07
Trailer 2: June 07
Trailer 3: December 07
Release: April 08

GTA 5 trailer 1: November 11
Trailer 2: November 12
Trailer 3: April 13
Release: September 13

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't think of the last game they shipped with like less than a 6 month delay. Even less than 12 months is hard.

Perhaps with the relatively large gap since PS360 GTAV, they've waited until its nearly ready before announcing? Learned from their mistakes?

We've had remasters and online, and constant updates since then for GTAV but no full game since four years ago (come fall 2017)

Raptomex

Knowing Rockstar, it may be delayed. I remember when GTA V was unveiled and then we didn't hear anything about it for 8 months.

Top Bottom