• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

Edit: Nvm. Saw your other post.

Also, I want to remind everyone in GAFleet that they have the ability to send fleet invites, regardless of fleet rank. I made sure of that. :)

I'll buy the game if I can have a Constitution Class (Refit) Style ship. That has been my favorite design out of the entire lore. My interest is already starting to become high because of you guys. :lol

5d5z4.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Digital-Hero said:
I'll buy the game if I can have a Constitution Class (Refit) Style ship. That has been my favorite design out of the entire lore. My interest is already starting to become high because of you guys. :lol

5d5z4.jpg

Tier 2 Cruiser. :D

DustoMan

Banned
Sigh... one day into the head start and I'm already having withdrawals because I can't play until I get home from the Twin Cities tomorrow. On a positive note, I purchased my 1-year today. I hope Cryptic can get the Steam and Mission Reward issues fixed quickly.

Just thought I'd mention that Aru is my wife's character, not mine. We're using the same account to play the game and I've invited her to GAFleet since I know from experience that she'll be a good guildmate and since she lurks GAF on my account. So if you see her online, be good and remember that it's not me. ;)

nataku

Login server seems to be down or something.

Hopefully the character I spent the last 30 minutes tweaking actually got created. :(

syoaran

servers are down when I got back from work - servers are down now when I wake up. I can't really berate them for it, every mmo has massive issues at the start (Aion was about the smoothest in recent memory) - but its a shame I can't even play the game atm...

BobLoblaw

Banned
Oh well. Since the servers are down, here's my character. Captain Trafalgar Law of the U.S.S. Farscape. :D Yes I know he looks nothing like the "real" Captain Law, I just liked the name.
93002783.jpg

Delio

I'd show off my char but my comp is not even capable of doing this game at max so not point. Single core (that being the only thing holding me back from full settings). Basically Rolled a Trill and my ship is the USS Megaship. (lol Old school Power ranger nerd :/).

Hit Lt Commander tonight now for the long trek to Commander.

Daneel R. Bailey@Jubal
Vaelyris@zerohaste
Janay@Ember512

Invited! :) GAFleet is growing rather impressively, I must say. 31 members (not including those invitees who have yet to accept).

I've been thinking of renaming the fleet ranks to something a little more NeoGAFy:
Recruit > Junior Member
Member > Member
Sargent > Console Warrior
Junior Officer > DrinkyCrowmando
Officer > Dudebro
Senior Officer > ?

What does everyone think?

Apologies for not being on the last 2 days, real life got in the way and when I did finally get home the server was down :(

Going to play all night tonight hopefully.

Alright, i have an itch to try out my first MMO and i think i want it to be star trek. Was the beta of this fun or not? The space stuff looks awesome but my question is do you take direct control of the ship during the fights and stuff aka firing phaser and photon torpedos? steering, etc..? Is it fun?

Chris R

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah you control steering and firing all the weapons, the space stuff is great fun, ground stuff not so much...
If I could stay in space 100% of the time, exploring the shit out of the galaxy, joining other ships for large battles, ect I'd totally consider subbing up, but the on ground stuff was just SO terribad :(

rhfb said:
If I could stay in space 100% of the time, exploring the shit out of the galaxy, joining other ships for large battles, ect I'd totally consider subbing up, but the on ground stuff was just SO terribad :(

It wasnt that bad just needs work, best moment was when one of the romulan commaders shields was invincible so I had to run in and rifle butt her to death, took bloody ages!

Walshicus

After the fiasco of having too few Klingons to fight in the End of Beta event, anyone else up for spending some time fighting for the House of Gaf?

dionysus

Yaldog
Sir Fragula said:
After the fiasco of having too few Klingons to fight in the End of Beta event, anyone else up for spending some time fighting for the House of Gaf?

I think I want to be a Klingon, can you be one immediately or is it like the Beta? I preordered so I think I will start today.

panda21

Won said:
Press "U" -> click "Assignments" on the top.

There on the right side you see your new BOs. But as already mentioned there is a bug that prevents you from getting quest rewards currently.

this was it! i didnt see that before, thanks

edit:
Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried connecting 3 times.

:S

To the Fleet Admiral.

Are the Fleet uniform options just as shitty as in the beta? I couldn't figure out how to make that shit work.

web01 said:
Whats going on with the steam version, is it working correctly yet?

Just don't launch steam for now. Launch the game directly from its directory.

Axl said:
I'd like to join up, Neban@Nebann

Invite sent.

DoctorWho said:
To the Fleet Admiral.

Are the Fleet uniform options just as shitty as in the beta? I couldn't figure out how to make that shit work.

Looks like it, but I haven't tinkered with it too much.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DangerousDave said:
I'm starting to miss any kind of death penalty.
death penalty is VERY minor, but it's there. Essentially on non-group missions you have respawn points. When you die you go back to the last "save point". Enough to encourage you not to die, but not enough to be massively frustrating.

Don't know if there is or what the death penalty is in group/raid situations.

Did Stardock 24 last night...... WAAAAYYYYYY frustrating. I think my client crashed like 3-4 times. Only good thing about it was on the last crash I came back in and was solo in the instance. Made it much easier to go through. :)

rhfb said:
disagree completely on the sense of terribad... and this is coming from a wow and WAR player. the problem with ground combat is that currently it's not exceptional in one way or another. Not great and not horrible. It's kind of just there. They need to do something to give it it's identity. Part of the problem is the random grouping needs to be fine tuned, or at least the ground makeup needs to be fine tuned for the random group that's there. The basic mechanics are fine enough, it's just the missions usually just involve shooting your way out.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Looks like it, but I haven't tinkered with it too much.

I also remember there being an option to create our own logo but I didn't see anything there in the last couple days of the beta.

borghe said:
death penalty is VERY minor, but it's there. Essentially on non-group missions you have respawn points. When you die you go back to the last "save point". Enough to encourage you not to die, but not enough to be massively frustrating.

Don't know if there is or what the death penalty is in group/raid situations.

Well, the problem is when kamikazing, dying and respawning is faster than playing tactically and waiting for repairs. That is nearly always.

In beta I played tactically, but now I'm playing always in full power to weapons, all skills in weapons, and without caring about the shield management or even waiting for repair before attacking a new eney group. Even if I die more, it's much faster and, then, easier to level.

They should, at least, make you respawn without all the hull & shields at 100%, in order to make worthy the repairing than spawning.

Walshicus

dionysus said:
I think I want to be a Klingon, can you be one immediately or is it like the Beta? I preordered so I think I will start today.
Assume it's like the Beta. Saves them making a tutorial that way! I think I'm going to play Klingon 1/3rd of the time - keep things mixed up.

JdFoX187

Banned
That sucks. I was in the middle of a very long, long mission when that popped up. Oh well, at least it saves my progress.

nataku

Oh man, this queue is pretty bad. In the past 30 minutes I've gone from position 513 to 512. 30 minutes. :lol

EDIT: I finally got in. I know an invite was sent to Vaelyris, but I redid that character. I need another invite at Vaelyris Veplerion@zerohaste.

A fucking queue? FUCK!!!! 718.. :(

This seems really strange. It ran fine when not down yesterday. I doubt the biggest rush they would have would be on a Sunday evening.

They are going to have to offer those lifetime subs at some point in the future. I can see a lot of people turning down the idea of committing themselves to this game for life after something like this happens. Give it six months and when things are running smoothly they'll offer them for a short period again.

DoctorWho said:
A fucking queue? FUCK!!!! 718.. :(

This seems really strange. It ran fine when not down yesterday. I doubt the biggest rush they would have would be on a Sunday evening.

I thought the Beta was over? Can someone bring me up to speed?

[Nevermind, its the head start thing. Patching now]

Top Bottom