• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Ascension (Video) - Giants, demons, flamethrower, horseback-riding

A video of the game's prototype was recently posted at the Tomb Raider forums. At one point, the game was apparently called or subtitled "Ascension." It also had giants and demons as enemies, an a flamethrower as one of Lara's weapons. It was also supposed to have horseback-riding on an island. And a little girl as a gameplay companion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AbJjcBC2rnc

yOC9Pdo.jpg
tombraiderleakedconcept_111610.jpg
tombraider2wgg5.jpg
BFgeZkxCYAAkL6L.png:large
2oBYz9C.jpg

More concept images:

Sorian

Banned
What a surprise, it looks like she originally was showing more cleavage.

This is truly what the game was missing. I don't care about sexism or idolizing or whatever in video games. Some characters are just meant to have that cleavage, Lara Croft is one of them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Then "The Hunger Games" got really popular I guess

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Daamn what a misleading thread title, i expected a new TR game.

Oh well, horse riding looked pretty cool. This game really went through some changes during development.

Quite liked the look of the companion animation tests, and I absolutely loath companion gameplay.

Wouldn't be surprised if that idea was resurrected for the next game. Now you'll have to protect Lara and a little girl!

eshwaaz

I really liked the new Tomb Raider a lot, but it's interesting that the navigation animations shown here actually look superior.

So instead they went with the whole cliche, vulnerable, tomb hating, first adventure ever, being sorry, you need to protect her, safe and Uncharted like game?

From the looks of it, this looks way better. Bad ass Lara ftw.

jwk94

Quite liked the look of the companion animation tests, and I absolutely loath companion gameplay.

Wouldn't be surprised if that idea was resurrected for the next game. Now you'll have to protect Lara and a little girl!
They could bring in the black lady's daughter.

Savitar

Pretty sure those were the first images we got when the reboot was announced, I remember seeing them years ago, especially the horseback one.

So instead they went with the whole cliche, vulnerable, tomb hating, first adventure ever, being sorry, you need to protect her, safe and Uncharted like game?

I"m sure the squeal will have Tomb loving, no fucks given, one line saying, mma looking, ball busting, shoot you in the dick, dual weiding, flame throwing, axe to the head, and arrow shooting badass Lara.

Dahbomb

Some elements of that made it into the current game. But this version was a lot more like a modern RE game with shades of SOTC. It had a more advance environment combat system where Lara would naturally move around objects (that made it into the game in the form of the cover system). Enemies had limbs you can shoot at to get different reactions like in a RE game and the enemy variety was way higher because you fight a bunch of supernatural stuff and animals. Platforming was also more in depth.

Although I would not have liked carrying around a little girl across the island... glad they removed that shit.

UrbanRats

And still, we got phenomenal game.

However solid it might be, it's still far more removed from my idea of Tomb Raider than what shown in that prototype.
Also, copycatting SotC > copycatting Uncharted.

This looked like a legit original game, all in all, too bad.

Grisby

Interesting to finally see some video. Some SOTC vibes there.

Still, CD made a hell of a game. Wonder if they might incorporate any of this stuff for the sequel. Bigger hubs might require use of a horse.

Lemonte

that video looks pretty cool but not very tomb raiderish. Maybe they could make completely new ip out of that.

UrbanRats

The game you imagine based on a few assets is always better than what you get.

Maybe so, and i'm not even suggesting that it would've been a masterpiece, yet there are plenty of great ideas in the video alone, that just needed polish (of course).
It's not like it's a description on paper, you can see the ideas like limb targeting and removal, the big island etc.
The focus on human foes is what killed my anticipation for TR, anyway. :\

eshwaaz

Maybe so, and i'm not even suggesting that it would've been a masterpiece, yet there are plenty of great ideas in the video alone, that just needed polish (of course).
It's not like it's a description on paper, you can see the ideas like limb targeting and removal, the big island etc.
The focus on human foes is what killed my anticipation for TR, anyway. :
I actually appreciated how the supernatural played only a relatively small part in the new Tomb Raider; a more mysterious presence than an overt one.

I remember SolidSnakeX posted these shots years ago, I wasn't a member then. I was thinking the new TR would have horror elements, I guess they ditched all that in favor of Uncharted.

Have you played the game? All the impressions from the OT say the whole "protect her" meme wasn't accurate whatsoever, that she becomes a killing machine and not "vulnerable" or anything. You've got an avatar of Lara so I'm assuming you did play it? But it doesn't sound like you did.

UrbanRats

I actually appreciated how the supernatural played only a relatively small part in the new Tomb Raider; a more mysterious presence than an overt one.

That was the case in, for example, TR1 too, but instead of hundreds of armed goons, you fought a handful of wild animals, leaving supernatural stuff at the end of the journey.

Anyway, it's useless to cry on spilled milk.

Top Bottom