• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

zroid

Banned
Wow. Just saw this on Electric Playground. Blown away by the concept and footage; sounds and looks incredible.

Never before have I felt so dismayed that a game is on iOS. Hopefully it will earn boatloads in the Kickstarter and get ported to PC or something.

CamHostage

I can't remember if this is mentioned in the Kotaku article, but we're using a mix of 3D and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Pre-rendering is back! I've always loved this technique when done well (since like Westwood's Blade Runner, abeit a very different balance there.) Very much interested in seeing what Logan is capable of.

I don't and never will own any iOS device. I'm sure the game will be well enough built around the platform, I just don't have interest in something I'll never play.

Well, takes all kinds, you're certainly missing out on some good titles but it's not like anybody's console of choice is hurting for quality offerings these days.

I do wonder, though, if there'll be a day where we'll see anti-console snobbery? Like, will kids of the future laugh at us couchers who keep buying $60 games that we can't even take to the Space Wal-Mart?

Wow, this looks absolutely amazing for an iOS game, particuarly due to the use of pre-rendered and 3D. The fact that this game will be universal is even better.

Keeping this game on my radar and can't wait to play it on my phone and ipad.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Wow. Just saw this on Electric Playground. Blown away by the concept and footage; sounds and looks incredible.

Never before have I felt so dismayed that a game is on iOS. Hopefully it will earn boatloads in the Kickstarter and get ported to PC or something.

They already showed the trailer?

Kickstarter/trailer goes live tomorrow

Eusis

Man, this sounds really interesting AND one of the more compelling things to be on iOS versus stuff that might be just as home (if not more) on other platforms. Too bad I'd probably need the new iPad (or the iPad 4?) to play it most likely, doubt this will be an iPod Touch 4g friendly game. Hell, I doubt I'd want to play this on whatever iPhone is current when this releases.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I was watching a retrospective on the game Clock Tower (the very first one on SFC) and now I've convinced myself that this game will be like Clock Tower.

Looking forward to it especially if it is universal. Please charge more than a dollar for it; it will be worth a lot more than a dollar.

TheOddOne

5ad7c0ba741cfdfc1ed90d1cdb3ca201c90e15ed.png

SmokyDave

Really looking forward to the trailer. Everything so far screams "buy me Dave".

Wow. Just saw this on Electric Playground. Blown away by the
concept and footage; sounds and looks incredible.

What is the point in posts like these? I don't want to see games released on the 3DS, given that I don't like the hardware. I sure as fuck wouldn't make this fact known in 3DS threads constantly though.

Gowans

Looks fab but I'm unsure of what Ryan Payton's directly responsible for so far? (or the team he has on this)

I'll donate from what I've heard from the guy in the podcasts he's shown up on, seems like a likable & genuine dude but I don't really know where to place him for design and delivery.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yeah, I backed three games in a month, I'm passing on this. If it is still up in May I may back it.

can't say I'm excited about KS an iOS project. enjoy! You chip in; they make the game; they then sell it to other punters for a dollar?

This is the app store with its sub $10-1 games and constant pricedrops. Even sega's samurai card game price dropped. Scribblenauts.. etc

I already appshopper wish list a bunch of stuff awaiting the pricedrops. Yeah I know. But I buy a lot of iOS apps.

I'll buy it if it gets made though. Not going to KS.

I feel quite strongly that this is the wrong use of KS.

Gowans

I think it's all down to how it's managed.

If you want this you might have to pay more to get it Kickstarted but then again if it's a higher priced iOS game there are plenty that don't drop. Carcassone being one example.

I think it's worth waiting to see the details of the Kickstarter before anyone can make any judgements Pacherballs.

By adopting the same standardized control scheme every other game in the genre uses.

A genre MGS wasn't even apart of until MGS4.

but alot of people seemed to like the 3rd person shooter genre shift so maybe it was for the best from their perspective

but I'd like to think there's a point that falls under "playable" that's waaaaaaay before just adopting control schemes from other games already familiar to the player

Other than MGS4's terrible wall hug MGS4 and Peace Walker are the best gameplay wise in the series.

Will keep this game on my radar. I like Ryan and this sounds pretty interesting and cool.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only iOS kickstarter I know of is Zombies, Run! You could pledge $10 for the game and get it early before app store release date. The app sold at $8 and they had their first sale this past weekend at $4

If it's priced like that, a couple extra bucks to get the project running is a no brainer IMO. I don't see this game dropping to $1 anytime soon unless somehow the game is gonna be set at a very low price.

First KojiPro game I'll be passing up in a long time (I don't have iOS). Oh well.
It's got nothing to do with current KojiPro, just that Payton was previously at KojiPro.

Although that did look like Kris Zimmerman with Payton in the voice over booth. She was the voice director the English MGSs.
Would make sense if they're working in LA right now.

Vinci

Danish
The biggest concern seems to be how well the AI is controlled.

Which makes sense. I mean, the proposition is that you're essentially interacting with a person trapped in such an environment. Games don't have a terrific history with doing intelligent, persuasive AI very well. So yeah. Awesome idea, just hope it translates.

In other words, he was the reason MGS was dumbed down to play like other third person shooters.

Eh, I appreciate what Ryan Payton did for MGS4's controls for the most part... there's just one thing I dislike about it and it's that leaning was mapped to the d-pad, and I don't think tippy-toes was even in the game. Those functions were huge parts of why I loved MGS2 and MGS3, so it made me pretty sad in MGS4 and it basically ruined MGO for me.

That said, Ryan Payton if you are reading this, I'd like you to know I am a big fan of yours. I always listened to the KP podcast back when you were doing it; it was always a joy to listen to!

I'm really interested in this game you're making, even though I don't have an iOS device myself. I'm not sure if I'll ever get an iOS device, but I think there's a pretty good chance I'll kickstart this, I would hate to see it fail

Gowans

Anymore details on what the documentary contains? that was one of the main draws to the double fine KS.

I would have loved a $15 option with doc/insite into development.

snap0212

I'm sure this will get funded and the concept trailer looks really cool but I currently don't own an iOS device I play games on so I'll most likely not pledge myself.

It looks really good but cell phone gaming (to me) is short, simple games that I can start and stop playing withing a couple of minutes. A project like this seems to fit on a handheld but I'd rather see it on the PS Vita or something. It seems to me like it's not on the iOS systems because it's the best choice for the game but that it's on there because that's the only way they can release the game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Down the bottom it states that they would consider the idea of additional platform support if it exceeds the current $500,000 asking price to be funded.

As placid as I am about playing this on my iPhone or iPad, this game would be killer on PC.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Vita port and I'd be in. Otherwise with not even a PC version, kinda weird project to go the Kickstarter route with.

After listening to Ryan talk about this on Weekend Confirmed I'm really interested to see how well the kickstarter does. I don't know if I'll be contributing or not (very interested in the game, not so much the platform) but I think it's cool that he's willing to take a risk like this. It seems like a lot of thought and effort went into setting up the tiers and rewards for the kickstarter so hopefully things will work out for them.

Down the bottom it states that they would consider the idea of additional platform support if it exceeds the current $500,000 asking price to be funded.
Interesting...

jett

D-Member
The graphics look pretty nice for iOS, that might be enough to get attention. Don't know why are you making it only for iOS, though.

On the subject of MGS4's controls, I've never heard or read confirmation anywhere that Payton was responsible for the changes in the layout. I don't know if he would even want to own up to that, as that game still feels janky and the shooting is pretty horrible. :p

Top Bottom