• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For April 2017 [Up: Sony and Microsoft now sharing digital numbers]

Stop quoting and engaging
Especially with phrases like alt right, that only lead to more of topic post like mine ;)

TakeTwo will release its earings report in 3 days. We should get an update on GTAV sales then
If anything, the game seems ro rather snowball and increase its pace, than show any sign of slowing down

You're right my bad

Minecrafts and GTAVs achievements will be hard to match, ever. Even their inevitable sequels will struggle IMO. Neither really seems to be slowing down, GTAV just sits near the top of the charts pretty much WW. Minecraft may have dropped a little but it just keeps adding new platforms and just keeps on chugging. Unlike GTAV minecraft is selling a shitload on platforms besides the xbone and PS4 as well.

Chris1

I truly wonder if any game will ever come close to matching what GTAV has done. Over 75 million copies sold and it's still $60 more often than not.

Freakish performance. I'm not sure the inevitable GTAVI will even match it

Almost no chance GTA 6 matches it since both next gen consoles will all but surely be BC from the get go.

I know they won't but they should really put it on the Switch, even if just the last gen version with no major future updates. Game would sell like hotcakes.

Pokemon did better even if you separate the versions. I think FE did too if you count SRPGs.

Whats FE's biggest opening retail? I have a feeling Persona 5 just took the throne of the best selling JRPG after FF/KH. If it goes on to sell 2 million+ WW (likely) it will definitely take that throne.

jbluzb

Whats FE's biggest opening retail? I have a feeling Persona 5 just took the throne of the best selling JRPG after FF/KH. If it goes on to sell 2 million+ WW (likely) it will definitely take that throne.

Yup 2 million is already in the bank. As 2 days after the game was released it shipped 1.5 million, sold out in europe for 3 weeks. #2 in the us and #1 in digital sales.

In 2014, no one would have believed me if I told them that this thread would be exploding with joy at an HD remaster of a last gen game and two cross-gen games with no upgrades (one with possibly worse frame rate) topping the NPD lol

Busaiku

Pokémon is far beyond Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, even separately.
The Mario RPGs also consistently do more than 2 million.
Fire Emblem Fates opened at about 400k.

Yup 2 million is already in the bank. As 2 days after the game was released it shipped 1.5 million, sold out in europe for 3 weeks. #2 in the us and #1 in digital sales.

You're telling me with digital sales it would beat Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's +550k?

In 2014, no one would have believed me if I told them that this thread would be exploding with joy at an HD remaster of a last gen game and two cross-gen games with no upgrades (one with possibly worse frame rate) topping the NPD lol

Even 2014 Me would tell you some of those details were wrong.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Well tha last part is way too early to tell. If the 3rd parties stay away with their big franchises that will diminish the sales at some point. Good product so the early interest is there. Let's see how it holds to year two and three.

I'm of the opinion that if Nintendo keep the exclusive games coming (even one every two months) along with having most indie games, aswell as the more family friendly third party games like Sonic, Lego and Just Dance then they don't actually need the Assassins Creed, Destiny and CoD's of the World for Switch to sell 50+ million consoles.

Switch is also designed in a way so that it can be morphed and price dropped as the years pass. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with four or five different configurations of it by the end of 2022. I imagine the dedicated premium portable would come first with maybe a dedicated premium docked version second with a cheap and cheerful version coming third along with a truly mass market price point of $149.

It's a World away from Wii U where they could never price drop it or completely change its form factor. So many possibilities for Switch.

NahaNago

I'm of the opinion that if Nintendo keep the exclusive games coming (even one every two months) along with having most indie games, aswell as the more family friendly third party games like Sonic, Lego and Just Dance then they don't actually need the Assassins Creed, Destiny and CoD's of the World for Switch to sell 50+ million consoles.

Switch is also designed in a way so that it can be morphed and price dropped as the years pass. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with four or five different configurations of it by the end of 2022. I imagine the dedicated premium portable would come first with maybe a dedicated premium docked version second with a cheap and cheerful version coming third along with a truly mass market price point of $149.

It's a World away from Wii U where they could never price drop it or completely change its form factor. So many possibilities for Switch.

Your three version idea is what I'm hoping for as well. But Nintendo is so crazy I'm not sure what they're going to do.I would add buy or create a 1 or 2 more AA western studios as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your three version idea is what I'm hoping for as well. But Nintendo is so crazy I'm not sure what they're going to do.I would add buy or create a 1 or 2 more AA western studios as well.

The problem would be differentiation for all the various SKU's if they did that. They explicitly said that developing multiple games for multiple platforms with vastly different HW targets was a pain for them and lowered their output while raising costs. Why would they add many more HW configurations to the mix?
Also, with their positioning of a £279 devices artificially restricted to only games what would a premium Pro version of Switch effectively do?

Naw. It definitely is not going to outsell any of the best selling Mario RPGs. Bowser's Inside Story sold 4.56 million. Dream Team and Sticker Star sold abouy 2.24 and 2.2 million. It pretty much has zero chance of outselling Inside Story.

Pokémon is far beyond Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts, even separately.
The Mario RPGs also consistently do more than 2 million.
Fire Emblem Fates opened at about 400k.

Fates was 400k inc digital. 2 million is a ball park Persona 5 is likely to surpass.

Naw. It definitely is not going to outsell any of the best selling Mario RPGs. Bowser's Inside Story sold 4.56 million. Dream Team and Sticker Star sold abouy 2.24 and 2.2 million. It pretty much has zero chance of outselling Inside Story.

How much did the most recent Mario RPG sell? Expected since Mario is a massive IP.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

Did you just ignore pokemon as a jrpg even? What is it? Gambling sim?

How much did the most recent Mario RPG sell? Expected since Mario is a massive IP.

Pretty sure Paper Jam is under a million. I can't find anything that suggest it crossed that.

And yeah I am not actually downplaying Persona 5's sales. Just saying there have been a handfull of games to sell around the 2 million World Wide mark. Fates and Awakening are also likely around 2mm+ right now.

Awakening as of December 2014 was at 1.79m and Fates is at 1.84m as of March 2016.

Persona 5 prob gonna do 2.2-2.5m when all is said and done

NahaNago

The problem would be differentiation for all the various SKU's if they did that. They explicitly said that developing multiple games for multiple platforms with vastly different HW targets was a pain for them and lowered their output while raising costs. Why would they add many more HW configurations to the mix?
Also, with their positioning of a £279 devices artificially restricted to only games what would a premium Pro version of Switch effectively do?

They already have 2 configurations though. The xbox will have like 3 different versions by the end of the year and Sony has 2 right now. Adding a more powerful version like the new 3ds and a cheaper 2ds version is in line with what they do anyways. I'm just not in to mobile gaming so the screen is pretty much worthless to me.

Pretty sure Paper Jam is under a million. I can't find anything that suggest it crossed that.

And yeah I am not actually downplaying Persona 5's sales. Just saying there have been a handfull of games to sell around the 2 million World Wide mark. Fates and Awakening are also likely around 2mm+ right now.

Awakening as of December 2014 was at 1.79m and Fates is at 1.84m as of March 2016.

Persona 5 prob gonna do 2.2-2.5m when all is said and done

Iirc Fates was overshipped.

Unknown?

It probably will not but the problem with that is Sony is getting all of those indies and family friendly games too. It's not an advantage for Switch.

D.Lo

I truly wonder if any game will ever come close to matching what GTAV has done. Over 75 million copies sold and it's still $60 more often than not.

Freakish performance. I'm not sure the inevitable GTAVI will even match it
It had fairly lucky timing. It was a huge release on the tail end of a generation, then got a full high quality remaster with heaps of extra features and a huge game-as-a-service added on the next generation platforms early on.

The PS4Bone version could easily have been counted as a new game, or at least a remaster. It has vastly more new content than MK8D or Last of Us Remastered for example. I daresay most fans bought it twice. But they didn't call it GTA5.5 or whatever so they count the number of both together.

It probably will not but the problem with that is Sony is getting all of those indies and family friendly games too. It's not an advantage for Switch.

Well then it's not an advantage for Sony either. Having indies on your system is a good thing though. What's crazy is that Nintendo seems to have stronger indie support right now than Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't need big western third party support to have a very successful platform, but I do believe by not having them, there's a ceiling they won't be able to rise above. The question is how high up is that ceiling? 50 million? 75 million?

One of the beauties is they may not have to add more variations to the software output. Example, a dedicated handheld Switch would simply play the software in the handheld format. Would also ensure backwards compatibility.

Mory Dunz

I feel like I've seen you do this a few times before.

If you don't consider Pokemon, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi as jrpgs for whatever reason you might as say it in your original post, before saying.....well easily proven wrong things.

Even Yokai watch too

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Maybe they would have believed you if you also said each one is the best in its class and amongst the greatest games of all time.

Branduil

What game has no upgrades and a worse framerate?

watdaeff4

Well then it's not an advantage for Sony either. Having indies on your system is a good thing though. What's crazy is that Nintendo seems to have stronger indie support right now than Microsoft.

Nintendo doesn't need big western third party support to have a very successful platform, but I do believe by not having them, there's a ceiling they won't be able to rise above. The question is how high up is that ceiling? 50 million? 75 million?

Great post.

As far as Nintendo being more indie-friendly than MS I don't get it either.
parity clause I'm assuming

As far as your last paragraph....I guess in terms of "very successfull" what will be the cut-off. I don't see it selling 75 million without it getting good Western support.

I don't want to come across as port-begging so won't name specific titles, but if somehow it got support from the top franchises then I think it would outdo the Wii.

I know this year I'm buying NBA2k and even FIFA on the Switch even if they will likely be technically "inferior" versions. The ability to pick up and play those at anytime/anywhere are a dream for me

Mikey Jr.

I mean.

At this point in PS3's life it had 2 Uncharteds, 4 games from Insomniac, GT5: Prologue, God of War 3, LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain. So that's 10 games from those studios.

Compare to this generation, all we've seen from those same studios so far is Uncharted 4 and Ratchet.

I don't know what's going on.

It doesn't take a scientist to figure out....

//DEVIL//

I don't get it. How many NES systems were shipped ? It's impossible to find and yet it sold more ps4 ?

How bad were the PS4 and Xbox sales to be topped by the limited release of a NES ?

Wait Persona 5 450k at retail only? Its above 500k easily with digital. What a success.

10% digital would be unusually low. 550k probably.

i'm hoping it picks up. i'm after the 'castle' segment and it feels like the whole thing has been one long tutorial so far, which is obnoxious because the game starts off in the present and that should have been tutorial enough.

I haven't started it yet (finals ugh) but I from my experience, Persona games all start slow to get the player accustomed to the unique flow of the game. After the first battle area thats when things truly open up. I guess 5-7 hours in?

Doing well in Japan and USA. Wonder how it's doing in Europe.

Asia sold around 750k iirc, if we say 550k for NA then 200k shipment to EU. Makes sense since the game was sold out in EU after its first week.

10% digital would be unusually low. 550k probably

Nintendo announced that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold over 550k after digital and still had been declared #1 for the month of April, to be clear. If not 500k, I would believe P5 would hit about the 530k mark.

So from what we can tell, top 3 for physical are:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe > 456,000

Persona 5 > 450,000

Zelda < 450,000

Asd202

Nintendo announced that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold over 550k after digital and still had been declared #1 for the month of April, to be clear. If not 500k, I would believe P5 would hit about the 530k mark.

So from what we can tell, top 3 for physical are:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe > 456,000

Persona 5 > 450,000

Zelda < 450,000

Well with digital Persona 5 could be above MK as NPD does not know that number and it was nr.1 on PSN store.

AniHawk

I haven't started it yet (finals ugh) but I from my experience, Persona games all start slow to get the player accustomed to the unique flow of the game. After the first battle area thats when things truly open up. I guess 5-7 hours in?

the only persona games aside from 5 that i've played were 4 and tokyo mirage sessions, and both seemed like they got going faster. i really liked 4's setting though, and so far tms was easier to get around in than 5's tokyo.

Top Bottom