• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Charger - Inductive Charging?

See below pictures:

1) underside of 3DS as taken by person who smuggled one off the line
2) high quality close up of the charging dock

If that black notch is not a conductor, and is just a piece of plastic that locks the device in place, then that would suggest that this is an inductive charger similar to the ones used for Palm Pre / WebOS phones, and various other third party chargers you can buy. The small panel near the bottom area of the device suggests to me that it might be an inductive charger as well.

The pros of such a charging device is that you merely have to put the device down to charge it. No finnicky wires to play around with... the main con is that it is usually longer to charge this way.

So my suggestion is this: might it be quicker to charge the 3DS via the AC Adaptor?
I would like someone to clarify if possible (with Nintendo) whether this is an inductive charging dock or a more traditional dock.

Nintendo-3DS-Battery.jpg

3DS_preview_craddle.jpg.jpg

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I hope it isn't limited to this option. I want to be able to play while I charge my 3DS.

godhandiscen said:
I hope it isn't limited to this option. I want to be able to play while I charge my 3DS.

Its not AFAIK, I believe you get a traditional AC adaptor also...

edit: actually looking closer, it appears the notch might be part of a mechanism that maybe inserts a conductor into the AC adaptor slot on the DS -- see the bit on the top right of the charger?

Did anyone get to play around with one of these at any of the recent events 3DS has been at?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Out of the box the 3DS will come with both an AC adapter (and I think I read it might be the same one used by the DSi?) and the cradle. I would imagine that the AC adapter can be used both to power the 3DS directly, or power the cradle.

Jackano

godhandiscen said:
There is a traditionnal AC adapter in the packaging.

@OP: Most likely it's not inductive charging. The leaked 3DS on the first pic lack of the plastic back of the unit. And on the charging cradle, it is likely a system to clip the unit with the charging cradle, and to hide the metal conductor plug when the 3DS is not pluged in. Also, it is on the top of the charging cradle, that correspond to the emplacement of the Ac adpater plug on the 3DS itself.

On related note, this plug is likely the same than the DSi, whish have been expected for a while.

Edit: everything have been said by the time I wrote my mumbo jumbo bad englih spelt post :D

wsippel

Banned
Totakeke said:
So does this explain the 3.5 hour charging time?

Maybe not.
No. The type of battery Nintendo uses explains the charging time. And you'll be thankful it takes that long, believe me.

aw shit... I've just realised that what I thought was a panel on the charger is actually a picture of a 3DS!

And yes, it does look like a smiley face :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks for the photos. Looks like a normal charger. In photo 1, you can see some metal at the top of the notch. Two prongs by the looks of it.

In photo 2, that prong looks sprung -most likely to protect from exposing the charging points. When you put the 3DS on, the prong will retract, revealing the charging contacts, which connect with the same on the notch, charging it up. frame of the cradle keeps it all nice and in line.

zigg

mrklaw said:
thanks for the photos. Looks like a normal charger. In photo 1, you can see some metal at the top of the notch. Two prongs by the looks of it.

In photo 2, that prong looks sprung -most likely to protect from exposing the charging points. When you put the 3DS on, the prong will retract, revealing the charging contacts, which connect with the same on the notch, charging it up. frame of the cradle keeps it all nice and in line.

Maybe I just haven't sucked down enough coffee yet, but I'm not seeing it.

What notch, for starters?

wsippel

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Explaineth
LiIon batteries shouldn't be charged faster than they can be safely discharged.While it is possible to quick charge LiIon batteries, they lose capacity with every charging cycle - not a great idea for a device designed to be charged every day. Considering the 3DS battery was designed to last about three hours under full load, charging should take at least three to four hours unless you want to replace the battery every few months.

The upside is that LiIon batteries have a higher capacity and are more durable than LiPoly batteries typically used in smartphones. And people are expected to replace smartphones every one or two years, so a less durable battery is considered acceptable for such devices.

DonMigs85

wsippel said:
LiIon batteries shouldn't be charged faster than they can be safely discharged.While it is possible to quick charge LiIon batteries, they lose capacity with every charging cycle - not a great idea for a device designed to be charged every day. Considering the 3DS battery was designed to last about three hours under full load, charging should take at least three to four hours unless you want to replace the battery every few months.

The upside is that LiIon batteries have a higher capacity and are more durable than LiPoly batteries typically used in smartphones. And people are expected to replace smartphones every one or two years, so a less durable battery is considered acceptable for such devices.
Ah, so they don't do the 80% capacity quick charge like the iPods then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
zigg said:
Maybe I just haven't sucked down enough coffee yet, but I'm not seeing it.

What notch, for starters?

notch on the back bottom of the 3DS, next to the card slot and Mario's left foot. Has two (looks like) contacts at the bottom of it.

mates with plastic tooth thing next to the 'open' mark on the second picture. That looks detached so is probably sprung and hinges down when the 3DS is placed on it.

KAL2006

Banned
wsippel said:

Interesting, so Nintendo are using decent batteries, I'm not too bothered with how long it takes to charge, what bothers me is the 3-5 hours battery life

wsippel

Banned
KAL2006 said:
Interesting, so Nintendo are using decent batteries, I'm not too bothered with how long it takes to charge, what bothers me is the 3-5 hours battery life
Eurogamer: The 3DS' 3.5 to 5 hour battery life has disappointed quite a few people.

David Yarnton: Actually, if you have the 3D, Wi-Fi and other functions off it's longer than five hours. You're looking at a totally new piece of equipment that's doing lots of different things compared to previous products. It's a different ball-game. But if you don't have the 3D on it will be longer than five hours.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-19-nintendo-3ds-david-yarnton-interview?page=3

wsippel

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
So is this the reason my iPod's battery seems to become shite every twelve months?

Dammit Apple.
Don't blame Apple. It's your own fault if you don't replace your iPod at least once a year. Apple introduces a new model every year for a reason, you know... ;)

Yeah, it's bullshit. Apple consumer products offer lots of features and look nice, but they're definitely not built to last.

zigg

mrklaw said:
mates with plastic tooth thing next to the 'open' mark on the second picture. That looks detached so is probably sprung and hinges down when the 3DS is placed on it.

The problem with that is that it's on the opposite side of the card slot :)

But what might happen is, if the bottom plate (there's a metal-looking strip in that area across the whole back of the fully assembled 3DS) is open, then depressing that tooth might cause a charging conductor to extend from within the open area on the dock.

Maybe.

Does anyone have a shot of the underside of a fully-assembled 3DS? I've only seen the rotating 3D image from the Nintendo Channel.

hiro4

No it's not inductive.

Next to the charger input on the the 3DS there are contacts that the charger make contact with when put in to the charger.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
zigg said:
The problem with that is that it's on the opposite side of the card slot :)

But what might happen is, if the bottom plate (there's a metal-looking strip in that area across the whole back of the fully assembled 3DS) is open, then depressing that tooth might cause a charging conductor to extend from within the open area on the dock.

Maybe.

Does anyone have a shot of the underside of a fully-assembled 3DS? I've only seen the rotating 3D image from the Nintendo Channel.

good point :)

I'll go with what you say then.

zigg

zigg said:
Does anyone have a shot of the underside of a fully-assembled 3DS?

As a matter of fact, I do!

t53aky.jpg

Isn't that the stylus slot? The charger port is to the left.

Maybe it has to do with that mysterious-looking black rectangle on the right.

When the console presses that knob in the charger, the upper right hand side connects itself to 3DS. I don't think it's inductive

zigg

I bet pins extend from the slots on the right-side of the dock back and contact those yellow-looking areas on the 3DS back there. Maybe?

TBNAc.png

looks like the 3ds pressing down on the button on the charge cradle pushes out the two contacts circled, which press against the two yellow looking parts of the power plug on the 3ds (also charged)

thats what it looks like to me, anyway.

zigg

JodyAnthony said:
looks like the 3ds pressing down on the button on the charge cradle pushes out the two contacts circled, which press against the two yellow looking parts of the power plug on the 3ds (also charged)

Those things on the dock look like plastic, though, i.e. nonconductive. I think those might just be to hold the 3DS in place by snapping into the hole to the left of the charging port and into the charging port itself.

But I do think the yellow pads are the key, yeah.

Smiles and Cries said:
Is that pic a 3DS? if so that Blue on the 3DS is so strange it changes a lot.

It is, yeah, from NOA's press materials yesterday. I was thinking the same thing based on the varied photography. Must be an interesting finish.

JodyAnthony said:

thats what it looks like to me, anyway.
Beaten by me, but nice effort on the pic!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
zigg said:
It is, yeah, from NOA's press materials yesterday. I was thinking the same thing based on the varied photography. Must be an interesting finish.

It is, very weird to look at and changes under different lighting.

Does anybody know whether you can charge a 3DS with an iPhone charger?

Basically my 3DS charger died. I bought a USB-to-3DS cable. Will it work if I plug it into an standard Apple charger?

Neo Child

Banned
Para bailar La Bomba said:

Basically my 3DS charger died. I bought a USB-to-3DS cable. Will it work if I plug it into an standard Apple charger?

I would imagine so, can't see why not. I think most USB devices would manage to charg off of the iPhone plug.

Shoogoo

This is not really going to help you out but how did your 3DS charger die? Just like that? Or was there a power surge or anything?

Luigiv

Yeah it'll work fine. There should be no difference between the power supply of the iPhone wall adaptor and a regular USB port.

Soulhouf

wsippel said:

Thanks. I learned something today.

Shoogoo said:
This is not really going to help you out but how did your 3DS charger die? Just like that? Or was there a power surge or anything?

Possibly a power surge. Or maybe it got wet. Or maybe the fact it was a crappy $10 one I bought on eBay -- I couldn't use the original cos I bought my 3DS in another country which used a different voltage standard.

Thanks to NeoChild & Luigiv.

Top Bottom