• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Person Shooters: Am I just another old man yelling at clouds?

Wonko_C

Bear with me as I'm practically typing this as I go.

As I saw Destiny 2's gameplay I predictably didn't get excited for the game at all, I know it sounds like I'm another one of those "hate what's popular guys" but frankly practically every FPS causes this reaction from me.

In the last years there have been very few First Person Games that I could really enjoy: DOOM (2016), Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mirror's Edge & Mirror's Edge Catalyst (See why I said Games instead of Shooters before?), and the Metroid Prime games. I dabbled into Crysis and Crysis 2 but more for the wow factor, and a little bit because of the suit powers.

I've played everything else from every Halo, Half-Life, Destiny, Borderlands, Bioshock, Titanfall, even some Call of Duty and Battlefield, and while I found some fun to be had, they quickly bored me... Like in 30 minutes, and yes I know I'm practically stomping over all sacred cows here.

See the pattern? It seems I just got stuck in the old-school era of shooters (or need an alternative hook like platforming/parkour to get into them). I love how fast paced the action is, and the concept of gunplay is something I just realised I don't really understand (meaning everyone says the gunplay in Halo/Destiny is some of the best but to me it's just boring and slow).

One constant though is that I'm beyond terrible at those games both the ones I like and the ones I don't like, (or anything that involves aiming in a 3D space) yet I enjoy playing Quake 3 Arena even with bots. But having to go through Halo on normal is a very frustrating experience to me.

I don't even know where I'm going with all this, I guess I just wanted to vent, LOL.

Random stuff:
I just played through Quake 1 again this year, it's still fantastic. I think I'll re-visit Quake 2 again (that was my favorite of the series back then). Shadow Warrior 2 looks very cool too, I need to get that pronto.

BTW: Any windows/game tweaks to improve the mouse? I'm using a cheap Genius M150 wireless mouse.

Speaking of which I recently acquired a very nasty habit of twisting my hand a bit just as I'm going to shoot, making me completely miss the shot. It's as if my hand is doing the recoil even before I shoot. I'm not joking, it's crazy, I know. Probably just "nerves".

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You shoot stuff with your friends and the numbers go up. That's the long and short of it, more or less.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Sounds like maybe you don't need to spend any more time or money playing fps games. There's way more games out there for you.

Springy

See the pattern? It seems I just got stuck in the old-school era of shooters (or need an alternative hook like platforming/parkour to get into them). I love how fast paced the action is, and the concept of gunplay is something I just realised I don't really understand (meaning everyone says the gunplay in Halo/Destiny is some of the best but to me it's just boring and slow).
So what didn't grab you about Titanfall? When it all clicks into place for me, I feel like I'm a teenager playing Tribes 2 again.

Anteater

It seems like you know exactly which kind of fps games you enjoy, so maybe stop buying and playing the similar ones you probably won't like?

riotous

Banned
One constant though is that I'm beyond terrible at those games both the ones I like and the ones I don't like, (or anything that involves aiming in a 3D space) yet I enjoy playing Quake 3 Arena even with bots. But having to go through Halo on normal is a very frustrating experience to me.

That seems to be the problem; and no offense, but Halo on Normal is like having God mode cheat codes on for most seasoned FPS players (anything less than legendary in the older games is.)

I love FPS games because of the thrill of getting kills with the AI/difficulty cranked up personally. If I sucked at them I'd get frustrated and dislike them.

So you don't dislike FPS games, you're just bored by modern releases that streamline the experience. That's fine. The fact that the majority of new ones are accessible is the reason why they're so widespread today, but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy them. There's plenty of other games out there for you to play.

try overwatch you barely need to aim
...depending on the character you pick.

Have you tried Wolfenstein OP?

It's a bit more like Half Life in some ways than the traditional Wolfensteins but there's still some magic there I feel

jdstorm

Banned
You like mechanically sound shooters that do interesting things with player movement. Suprised Titanfall 2 didnt make your "Like" list.

Either way Splatoon 2 will be here soon and thats a shooter you will enjoy.

Bear with me as I'm practically typing this as I go.

As I saw Destiny 2's gameplay I predictably didn't get excited for the game at all, I know it sounds like I'm another one of those "hate what's popular guys" but frankly practically every FPS causes this reaction from me.

In the last years there have been very few First Person Games that I could really enjoy: DOOM (2016), Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mirror's Edge & Mirror's Edge Catalyst (See why I said Games instead of Shooters before?), and the Metroid Prime games. I dabbled into Crysis and Crysis 2 but more for the wow factor, and a little bit because of the suit powers.

I've played everything else from every Halo, Half-Life, Destiny, Borderlands, Bioshock, Titanfall, even some Call of Duty and Battlefield, and while I found some fun to be had, they quickly bored me... Like in 30 minutes, and yes I know I'm practically stomping over all sacred cows here.

I don't even know where I'm going with all this, I guess I just wanted to vent, LOL.
What about Superhot? Quick levels, cool mechanics, weird and memorable story.

3EXvlQX.gif

Hmbjj7X.gif

It's possibly borderline in your case, but I didn't see you mention Wolfenstein: TNO in your list of games you enjoyed or didn't enjoy. It's a sort of halfway house shooter, less frantic than Doom and with more cinematics, but from memory they are at least skippable if that's what is boring you. Compared to most mainstream shooters it's positively oldschool, although I can't guarantee it's up your alley based on what you've said.

tsundoku

First person is a bad genre and First person melee is actively detrimental to the advancement of game design

do you want a medal for figuring out the obvious, op?

You don't have to like everything.

I used to play a lot of shooters back in the PS2/OG XBOX through the PS3/360 generation. I think I just got a bit tired of them, honestly. Now if I want to play a shooter, I'm more likely to replay the ones I know I like instead of getting a new one.

I like shooting as a mechanic in games, but rarely when it's the main thing the game is all about. The Mass Effect games basically became my cover-based 3rd person shooters of choice since they became decent cover based shooters, but were also about having stories and character interactions and other stuff. I find it hard to play games like Gears of War these days because all it is is just shooting stuff.

There are so many types of video games out there that there shouldn't be any shame with getting tired of a genre for a while. Just move on to a different one for a while or try one that's a mix of genres.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say.

First person is a bad genre and First person melee is actively detrimental to the advancement of game design

do you want a medal for figuring out the obvious, op?

first person games have always been inferior tbqh

False. First person camera >>>>>>(...)>>>>>> third person camera.

Why people continue to make/demand third person games, while first person perspective is just better in every aspect, is beyond me.

Wozman23

I'll happily yell at clouds with you.

DOOM (2016) and the Resistance franchise are the only traditional first person shooters I've been wowed by, both because they have a very old-school feel. Then there were Mirror's Edge, Portal, and The Unfinished Swan for unconventional first person games.

There are a few others I thoroughly enjoy, like the Borderlands and Fallout franchises, but I like them more for their RPG elements, and art direction in Borderlands case.

There have been a few other good fantasy/sci-fi shooters like Bioshock and Singularity, but they fall short of the marks set by DOOM and Resistance.

I've never touched a military shooter, and don't like realism. I hardly ever play multiplayer. Co-op is okay sometimes, but I don't like competitive play. I finally got to experience Halo when I bought the One, but I was very underwhelmed. I really don't like how it (or Gears) favor a squad-based campaign. I have no interest in Destiny or Titanfall either.

I just want crazy weapons, a health bar, and some arcade-y fun. I want a game that gives me a large arsenal and encourages me to experiment. I want a game that doesn't take itself too seriously. I want to play the campaign alone and without AI companions. Bold art direction is a plus as well. People cringe at "gimmicks,' but I gravitate toward them.

All those desires rarely sync up.

Edit: The newer Wolfenstein games were fun as well.

Wonko_C

So what didn't grab you about Titanfall? When it all clicks into place for me, I feel like I'm a teenager playing Tribes 2 again.

I don't exactly know. Probably because it resembles military shooters with ADS, which is ridiculous since I enjoy Crysis 1 & 2.

That seems to be the problem; and no offense, but Halo on Normal is like having God mode cheat codes on for most seasoned FPS players (anything less than legendary in the older games is.)

I love FPS games because of the thrill of getting kills with the AI/difficulty cranked up personally. If I sucked at them I'd get frustrated and dislike them.

I know, LOL. Yet I don't seem to have that same problem with Quake 3 Arena/Unreal Tournament: I can get destroyed and still come back to them.

try overwatch you barely need to aim

I'm surprised you didn't mention Overwatch. It definitely has it's roots in Arena shooters.

I really, really wanted to like Overwatch: It's like if Disney made an FPS, but I could never find a character I could really grasp. Kind of like some people who are new to fighting games and can't wrap their heads around their mechanics.

What about Superhot? Quick levels, cool mechanics, weird and memorable story.

3EXvlQX.gif

Hmbjj7X.gif

This looks perfect for me, plenty of time to aim and move. Wishlisted!

adding this to the op too:
I just played through Quake 1 again this year, it's still fantastic. I think I'll re-visit Quake 2 again (that was my favorite of the series back then). Shadow Warrior 2 looks very cool too, I need to get that pronto.

BTW: Any windows/game tweaks to improve the mouse? I'm using a cheap Genius M150 wireless mouse.

Speaking of which I recently acquired a very nasty habit of twisting my hand a bit just as I'm going to shoot, making me completely miss the shot. It's af is my hand is doing the recoil even before I shoot. I'm not joking, it's crazy, I know.

Wowww all that talk and you never played Serious Sam psh

Play Sam, Shadow Warrior, Wolfenstein.

I gotta play Superhot.

edit: Oh and Black, pref OG Xbox

Used to be my favorite genre now I just don't have the desire to play them. There have been some amazing ones last few years but I just don't enjoy them like I used to.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I never liked the first person shooter genre. Just not my cup of tea.

Titanfall is as much platformer as it is shooter. Seems like you should give it another go but focus more on movement mastery. Furthermore ADS is more or less irrelevant in the sequel so it's hipfire all day.

vixlar

Op. I hate fps too. In general.

I don't like Halo or Call of Duty.

But... Strange... I love battlefield, new Doom, Borderlands 2 and Overwatch is my game of the year, as I've been playing it everyday since launch.
I don't wanna come and tell you that "you must try this game and blah blah blah". Just that when some developers make a good game, the genre is irrelevant.

(And I hate football, the American, games)

commissar

Speaking of which I recently acquired a very nasty habit of twisting my hand a bit just as I'm going to shoot, making me completely miss the shot. It's af is my hand is doing the recoil even before I shoot. I'm not joking, it's crazy, I know.
If you're doing that, its a good idea to change your sensitivity. That a small motion like that shifts your aim way off suggests your sensitivity is too high, and you should really lower it. This might mean a larger mousepad. A lot depends on how you hold the mouse and aim though - in my case I've shifted my sens even higher and use accel, YMMV

But a good tip for getting better at aiming is trying to keep things consistent. Spend some time adjusting it and then stick with it for a while so you can get a feel for it.

The simplest way is to do a 360 degree swipe in a game you're decent/comfortable at aiming in and measuring that distance. Then when you start a new game, do a 360 and measure it, then change the game's mouse sensitivity settings until you've got it about right. This will help you get better and be more consistent across multiple PC games, as you build up muscle memory. Try and adjust the FOV in the graphics options as well, so they're reasonably similar - this will help with judging approx distance for projectiles.

The other thing is that wireless mice tend to have a bit of input lag - its ok for singleplayer, but can be frustrating in multiplayer when it's yet more delay alongside the base level internet ping. You can get wireless mice now (like the Logitech G403) which are pretty much lag-free, but you're spending a bit there so you'd need to be comfortable doing so.

In the meantime, fire up a game you're comfortable aiming in, do the cm/360 measurement and let us know. Should be enough nerds here to tell you what's *really* the best distance to use :p

Wonko_C

If you're doing that, its a good idea to change your sensitivity. That a small motion like that shifts your aim way off suggests your sensitivity is too high, and you should really lower it. This might mean a larger mousepad. A lot depends on how you hold the mouse and aim though - in my case I've shifted my sens even higher and use accel, YMMV

But a good tip for getting better at aiming is trying to keep things consistent. Spend some time adjusting it and then stick with it for a while so you can get a feel for it.

The simplest way is to do a 360 degree swipe in a game you're decent/comfortable at aiming in and measuring that distance. Then when you start a new game, do a 360 and measure it, then change the game's mouse sensitivity settings until you've got it about right. This will help you get better and be more consistent across multiple PC games, as you build up muscle memory. Try and adjust the FOV in the graphics options as well, so they're reasonably similar - this will help with judging approx distance for projectiles.

The other thing is that wireless mice tend to have a bit of input lag - its ok for singleplayer, but can be frustrating in multiplayer when it's yet more delay alongside the base level internet ping. You can get wireless mice now (like the Logitech G403) which are pretty much lag-free, but you're spending a bit there so you'd need to be comfortable doing so.

In the meantime, fire up a game you're comfortable aiming in, do the cm/360 measurement and let us know. Should be enough nerds here to tell you what's *really* the best distance to use :p

I tried it and it's about 6cm to do a full 360 on Unreal Tournament I kind of feel it's a bit too sensitive, but I feel it's too slow if I turn it down a notch. My mousepad is a small soft one with wrist rest, I don't use the wrist rest, though.

Have you tried Hard Reset?
Wowww all that talk and you never played Serious Sam psh

Play Sam, Shadow Warrior, Wolfenstein.

I gotta play Superhot.

edit: Oh and Black, pref OG Xbox

I did play Serious Sam coop a lot, I just forgot to mention them, I also played Bulletstorm and think it's my favorite FPS of the last generation, RAGE was pretty awesome too. Hard Reset was cool and I'd like to revisit it once I get a more capable PC.

I remember being hyped with Black because it was being made by the Burnout guys, then I only played for like 3 levels and quit out of boredom.

Budi

I've been really burned out on first person shooters for a long time too. I suspect it has something to do with my CS obsession which is fortunately been gone for a long time. Used to play that game from teen to young adult way too much. Also played Tribes and Action quake a lot before that. CS:GO I played maybe for 3 hours.

I still play first person games when the shooting isn't the main thing. Like Deus Ex that you mentioned in the OP or Dishonored. Love them both. But playing through Wolfenstein, even as good as it is, was bit of a slog. It took something like 15 to 30 minutes for me to check if I've already played atleast an hour so I could do something else. The game was good and I wanted to see to the end, but many times I really wasn't having fun with the actual shooting. Also played the demo for new Doom, seemed excellent! But still haven't bought it even with those very quick 75% discounts. I'm afraid it would be as difficult to get through as Wolfenstein was.

commissar

Yeah 6cm 360 is a bit high imo. I went as far as 4.5cm 360, but it teaches you bad habits for long range fights like strafing to aim (which makes you predictable), or under duress makes it more difficult to keep steady. Or as you've experienced, you develop a flick which only really works when your aim is on point.

Maybe double it and try 12cm for a bit, see how that goes? Some CS players use like 45cm/360 so y'know its all personal preference. In your case its causing frustration, so its worth making a change.

Vanadium

I actually hit that FPS fatigue level nearly 10 years ago. It was only some games on multiplayer that sort of revived the genre for me.

TheDanger

Banned
you struggle on Halo normal? But Halo normal is actually easy while Halo easy is I dunno for people who never played a game before.

atr0cious

I felt the same way OP as a former competitive player. Seige was cool for a bit, but it's not great in randoms, so I eventually lost interest. Splatoon rekindled my interest in "trying hard" in shooters, though it is third person, but it's doing some really different stuff. Turf mode really scratches an itch of getting better at just the mechanic of shooting and feels meditative at points. Hoping Spla2n fixes my server and map rotation issues so I can really enjoy it.

Also, if I could, would probably play PUBG, especially whenever the FPS mode comes out. I'm addicted to watching multistreams of that, just intense, especially with great players.

Top Bottom