• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
shoplifter said:
One more:

acsfp4.jpg

:lol :lol

I like you.

Also, I posted this link in the other thread, but I might as well give you guys the heads up as well - WC placeholder thread is up. Go ahead and add it to your subscriptions so you can be the first to post "USA! USA! USA!" for great justice.

I would be F5'ing the ever living hell out of that shit, but I'm about to go play a soccer PUG and I won't likely be around when it does go up.

harSon

Banned
I have a friend who's at most, 1/5th or 1/6th Italian, yet his room and wardrobe is drenched in Italia stuff. He constantly touts Italy as the greatest nation on Earth, past and present. Soccer is no exception... it's quite annoying and doesn't make much sense considering he was born in the United States and nobody in his family wears their Italian heritage on their sleeves, considering the fact that they're several generations removed from Italy. Anyone else have a friend like this?

Hootie

faridmon said:
america's football team is hyped up as much as scribblenauts.
can't wait Algaria to beat USA USA USA USA.

o5b4o2.jpg

harSon said:
I have a friend who's at most, 1/5th or 1/6th Italian, yet his room and wardrobe is drenched in Italia stuff. He constantly touts Italy as the greatest nation on Earth, past and present. Soccer is no exception... it's quite annoying and doesn't make much sense considering he was born in the United States and nobody in his family wears their Italian heritage on their sleeves, considering the fact that they're several generations removed from Italy. Anyone else have a friend like this?

My entire fucking town. North Providence, RI is guido central and most aren't even fuckin Italian.

I myself am about 1/6 or 1/8 but the only way you could tell is by my last name which is italian.

NoRéN

MidnightRider said:
also WhoAreYaDesigns.com has plenty of badass USMNT shirts......
Well, there's another link that I sent OP and got ignored.

I've had this one for a while now:
2w1wp3n.jpg

And recently got this one for my girlfriend:
2quorq0.jpg

harSon

Banned
Hootie said:
My entire fucking town. North Providence, RI is guido central and most aren't even fuckin Italian.

I myself am about 1/6 or 1/8 but the only way you could tell is by my last name which is italian.

Hell, I'm ethnically mixed (Black, Spanish, Italian and Japanese) and I'm literally more Italian than he is. He has red hair too :lol

SpacLock

USA in World Cup 2010.

Eliminating football's terrorists one goal at a time.

USA

"I triple dare North Korea to enter this tournament"

faridmon said:
america's football team is hyped up as much as scribblenauts.
can't wait Algaria to beat USA USA USA USA.

Delicious bitterness from all the euros who peek in this thread

USA USA USA

Really though is it so bad that we have hope for our team? I'd rather be optimistic than doubt the fuck out of my team like so many euros seem to do.

SpacLock said:
USA in World Cup 2010.

Eliminating football's terrorists one goal at a time.

USA

"I triple dare North Korea to enter this tournament"

:lol :lol :lol

Quoted for truth, this is OP-worthy.

faridmon

modernkicks said:
lol u mad?
no i am not mad, just ask the sun

the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

sw33tclyde said:
delicious bitterness from all the euros who peek in this thread

USA USA USA

Really though is it so bad that we have hope for our team? I'd rather be optimistic than doubt the fuck out of my team like so many euros seem to do.
bitterness is non existance when you govern the sport, mate

i am just pulling your legs, no hard feeling mate

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Tim the Wiz said:
Maybe you guys will put on another unlikely 2002 run. Slovenia and Algeria aren't exactly powerhouses, and England will be susceptible to media pressure if they suffer even one slip-up in the group stages.

I thought Slovenia was solid. In a way, I'm more worried about them then England.

As for that Theoretical soccer team- it is known that Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant both screw up with soccer skills.

Tater Tot said:
I support Mexico, but we got beat today.

Anyways England vs USA is going to be a bad ass game.

Speaking of, anyone have the date/time at hand? (est time zone if you please :D)

I've gotta round up the boys and line up beer/booze checklists.

Get'sMad

sw33tclyde said:
Speaking of, anyone have the date/time at hand? (est time zone if you please :D)

I've gotta round up the boys and line up beer/booze checklists.

Saturday June 12th, 2:30 ET I believe.

I'm throwing a watch party myself. Going to be a blast.

modernkicks said:
Saturday June 12th, 2:30 ET I believe.

I'm throwing a watch party myself. Going to be a blast.

Thanks, calender is marked! Regardless of who wins, it will be a glorious day indeed. IIRC I'll have the house to myself that week so a celebratory/sorrow-killing party will definitely be in order!

Gallbaro

Banned
NoRéN said:
Well, there's another link that I sent OP and got ignored.

I've had this one for a while now:
2w1wp3n.jpg

And recently got this one for my girlfriend:
2quorq0.jpg

I do not know what the hell this sport is, or who plays it.

But damn America has the best iconography in the world.

Get'sMad

Clydefrog said:
It was like the stars aligned having it the latest game on a Saturday. :D

Yeah no kidding. I'm just glad the next cup is in Western Hemisphere (1st one sine '94) so I can actually sit down and watch late afternoon/night games after work on the weekdays and not have to wake up at 6 am on the weekends.

Screw you eastern hemisphere.

modernkicks said:
Yeah no kidding. I'm just glad the next cup is in Western Hemisphere (1st one sine '94) so I can actually sit down and watch late afternoon/night games after work on the weekdays and not have to wake up at 6 am on the weekends.

Screw you eastern hemisphere.

Yes yes, well you yankee boys must enjoy it at any rate, because

1240350978605.jpg

Oozer3993

I am so pumped for the WC. The 2002 run was magical, and I think the US squad is good enough this year to equal that. A bold statement, but I am hyped :D I just went to the US Women's friendly against number 2 in the world Germany on Saturday. It was thorough but whooping, 4-0. I may finally retire my old Landon Donovan jersey T-shirt for a real jersey, either Landy-cakes or Jozy. Speaking of which, I'm either going to switch my av to T-Swizzle in a US jersey or whip up an Altidore one.

P.S. The OP is wonderful. Great job xbhaskarx!

Heretic

Does any one know where i can find the schedule for my time zone. i can't for the love of me figure out when the game starts. Pacific Standard Time for me. is that (PST) or something like that? I live in California =p

EDIT:

I'm asking for the world cup schedule.

Thanks in advance!

Clydefrog

Oozer3993 said:
I am so pumped for the WC. The 2002 run was magical, and I think the US squad is good enough this year to equal that. A bold statement, but I am hyped :D I just went to the US Women's friendly against number 2 in the world Germany on Saturday. It was thorough but whooping, 4-0. I may finally retire my old Landon Donovan jersey T-shirt for a real jersey, either Landy-cakes or Jozy. Speaking of which, I'm either going to switch my av to T-Swizzle in a US jersey or whip up an Altidore one.

P.S. The OP is wonderful. Great job Cornballer!

Wooho, US fan!

2435952505_dddd1303e8_o.jpg

P.S. that OP ain't Cornballer!

woodchuck

Heretic said:
Does any one know where i can find the schedule for my time zone. i can't for the love of me figure out when the game starts. Pacific Standard Time for me. is that (PST) or something like that? I live in California =p

EDIT:

I'm asking for the world cup schedule.

Thanks in advance!

I prefer this:

http://www.worldcupontv.com/splash

has each time zone, channels, and also times when they will show a replay

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ill admit im fucking petrified about the US game :lol

Also never ever ever ever ever ever take the sun as representative of anything remotely English, they are our version of fox news and i know no-one in the US wants us to judge you by that.

woodchuck

one thing I don't understand.

according to the site I posted, it looks like almost every game will be on Univision (as well as ESPN/ESPN2/ABC).

why did espn pay so much money for the world cup rights when i can just watch it over the air on univision? i was debating whether to get cable just for the world cup months, but now I can just watch it in HD for free.

xbhaskarx

woodchuck said:

according to the site I posted, it looks like almost every game will be on Univision (as well as ESPN/ESPN2/ABC).

why did espn pay so much money for the world cup rights when i can just watch it over the air on univision? i was debating whether to get cable just for the world cup months, but now I can just watch it in HD for free.

Univision paid for the Spanish language rights, ESPN paid for the English language rights. You may be happy to watch it on Univision so you don't have to get cable, but many of us would rather watch it in English or are already paying for cable.
Again, as I said earlier, ESPN's coverage is going to be very impressive. Here is just one example: they will have World Cup coverage for 24 hours straight leading up to the opening (SA - Mex) match.

Edit:
10 games will be on ABC, including the U.S.-England matchup on June 12 and the final on July 11.

ESPN will televise 44 matches, with the remaining 10 on ESPN2. All but the ABC games also will be on ESPN360.com, 46 games will be on ESPN Mobile TV and every game will be replayed at night on ESPN Classic.

In what appears to be an attempt to ambush Univision's Spanish-language coverage, ESPN Deportes will broadcast up to 40 matches — Cristiano Ronaldo fans take note — in Portuguese.

ESPN2 will go all soccer for a 24-hour countdown before the opener. The pre-World Cup concert will be televised live on ESPN on June 10, with an edited version replayed on ABC the following night. ESPN plans about 250 hours of originally programming around the games.

The network will be broadcasting soccer 12 hours a day during the first round.

Oh, and Univision actually paid $225 million more than ESPN:
ABC/ESPN acquired rights to the 2010 and 2014 tournaments directly from FIFA in late 2005 for $100 million. For the previous two World Cups, the rights were owned by Soccer United Marketing, an affiliate of Major League Soccer that bought them for $40 million and then purchased air time. Univision bought the Spanish-language U.S. rights for 2010 and 2014 for $325 million.

Atlagev

woodchuck said:

Do you want to listen to Martin Tyler call the games? That's what you get on ESPN. Univision is en español. Since it's Martin, I personally will watch them on ESPN.
Also, not all areas of the U.S. get Univision over the air for free.

woodchuck

xbhaskarx said:
Univision paid for the Spanish language rights, ESPN paid for the English language rights. You may be happy to watch it on Univision so you don't have to get cable, but many of us would rather watch it in English or are already paying for cable.
Again, as I said earlier, ESPN's coverage is going to be very impressive. Here is just one example: they will have World Cup coverage for 24 hours straight leading up to the opening (SA - Mex) match.

Edit:

Oh, and Univision actually paid $225 million more than ESPN:

thanks for the info. i thought ESPN paid a lot more for the tv rights.

Atlagev said:
Do you want to listen to Martin Tyler call the games? That's what you get on ESPN. Univision is en español. Since it's Martin, I personally will watch them on ESPN.
Also, not all areas of the U.S. get Univision over the air for free.

I'd rather listen to "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" than have John Harkes constantly interrupting Martin Tyler

Korey

xbhaskarx said:
ABC/ESPN acquired rights to the 2010 and 2014 tournaments directly from FIFA in late 2005 for $100 million. For the previous two World Cups, the rights were owned by Soccer United Marketing, an affiliate of Major League Soccer that bought them for $40 million and then purchased air time. Univision bought the Spanish-language U.S. rights for 2010 and 2014 for $325 million.
:lol at ESPN paying $225 million less to broadcast soccer in the US.

xbhaskarx

Korey said:
:lol at ESPN paying $225 million less to broadcast soccer in the US.

It's crazy, no wonder they are pushing it so much. The US ratings breakdown for the 2006 World Cup final was already over 3:1 English/Spanish, and that was before ESPN got involved. ESPN totally controls US sports coverage. Obviously their ratings will dwarf the Univision ratings this year, they're going to make an absolute killing. It will be interesting to see how much the 2018-2022 English language rights sell for....

Artoo

Neo Member
woodchuck said:

before cable, I would watch the games on Univision. if there is one thing I have noticed is that there is a MAJOR bias. Their braodcasts of US games is very tongue-in-cheek, full of backhanded complements. However, all other Latin American countries are referred to, along with Mexico, as "One of our own". "Own of Our own" against the world. So, if you don't understand Spanish, not a problem. If you do, it can be annoying.
And, as people have already mentioned, Martin Fuckin' Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clydefrog said:
P.S. that OP ain't Cornballer!
oops. helped someone do the work for this.

rar said:
just make it martin tyler and andy gray

Andy Gray was on Fox Football Fone In. They mentioned something about him being on ESPN during the World Cup. I hope I didn't mis-hear something.

xbhaskarx

Artoo said:
Damn. Didn't do this for praise but, I'm really feeling like I wasted my time working on some of this.

Huh? Not only did you not work on this but as a Junior you can't even start threads.

Artoo

Neo Member
Mr Cola said:
Ill admit im fucking petrified about the US game :lol

Also never ever ever ever ever ever take the sun as representative of anything remotely English, they are our version of fox news and i know no-one in the US wants us to judge you by that.
Dude, England will do fine! Though, how different will England be if/when Lampard and Barry are included?

NoRéN

Jamesfrom818 said:
Can't wait for 6/12. My friends and I are going to be raiding an English pub.
There's an English pub close to where I live but I think they open til' 4pm on Sat. Besides, i think I would rather watch from home so that I can cry comfortably in case the worst happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom