• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Atari's new console, "Ataribox"

Here's a link to the newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=316bc4d53e

We plan on shipping late Spring 2018, with an expected price range of $249-$299 (depending on specific editions & memory configurations).

CceDe29.jpg

That is one sexy design.

For $250, it's a tough sell to me though. Atari games? Cool. Loved them. Obviously for that price, you need more than retro games and a nostalgic design. That's why I'm interested in what their UI will be like, and what sort of partners they can get (they've talked about getting games for their platform previously). Sure, it's a Linux desktop and can access your Linux Steam games, but desktops are terrible interfaces for a TV, and if I wanted to play Steam games on my desktop, I'll just use my desktop PC.

I will definitely be paying attention though, because their campaign starts this fall!

Here's a link to the newsletter: http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=316bc4d53e

That is one sexy design.

For $250, it's a tough sell to me though. Atari games? Cool. Loved them. Obviously for that price, you need more than retro games and a nostalgic design. That's why I'm interested in what their UI will be like, and what sort of partners they can get (they've talked about getting games for their platform previously). Sure, it's a Linux desktop and can access your Linux Steam games, but desktops are terrible interfaces for a TV, and if I wanted to play Steam games on my desktop, I'll just use my desktop PC.

I will definitely be paying attention though, because their campaign starts this fall!
Absolutely gorgeous design but a lot more expensive than I was expecting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
$249-$299 for a small PC is rather cheap though. Too cheap, I might say, so I guess it won't be able to run decently any of more demanding games.

So it is going to be an x86-64bit Linux box?

It will also be open, and allow users to install Linux programs like Steam and other applications? Hmm... This is interesting, to say the least. Not sure what market it will really be going for, though...

If it is going to be using a flavor of Linux with a custom media center like UI, then I could only imagine that it will have something a little more powerful than a Jaguar (Do the Math) based CPU.

I'm interested. It also better have Tempest 4000 on it.

It will most definitely will... But given that you can install Steam on this system, will they make T4K a Steam Linux (or SteamOS) release with custom Ataribox video settings, or will they release their own packages? It is Linux, so they could very well just their own Linux packages using their own proprietary package manager.

To be honest, I am kinda interested in this too now...

redlemon

Here's a link to the newsletter:
That is one sexy design.

250 doesn't seem that pad depending on what kind of integrated graphics it has. I have a GPD Win and you'd be surprised at the amount of games it can run.

orava

That is one sexy design.

Steam has a TV interface and it works great. This will probably have a custom one.

Luschient

Like everyone else, I love the design, interested in what exactly this will end up being....I just don't see them selling a bunch of these to the masses at that price point.

Also, outside of "hardcore" gamers, does anyone under the age of 20 know wtf an Atari even is?

Great design but at that price point it's a tough sell. I imagine.

Perhaps if they got a massive investor this line of console could take off in specific parts of Asia.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
$250 is not bad. Definitely still in that impulse buy range for me. This will probably find a spot near my 2600 and 5200 but not get much use, lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll give them props on the design. Its both sleek and retro at the same time. That said the price is way high for Atari games but I'm curious to see what else this thing could do.

Rellik

That is one sexy design.

Damn that is one sexy beast.

Cleve

So this is looking like more of a competitor to the nvidia shield tv more than anything else(making performance assumptions based on form factor). That's a bit strange, as that's a tiny market, but I do love my shield and I'd love to see more competition in that space.

iswasdoes

So this is looking like more of a competitor to the nvidia shield tv more than anything else(making performance assumptions based on form factor). That's a bit strange, as that's a tiny market, but I do love my shield and I'd love to see more competition in that space.

Heres a thought - What if it WAS a nvidia shield?

Nvidia seems to realise that they can sell more of their hardware if they partner with established console brands. Maybe it will end up being a skinned shield with a shit ton of atari games and built in gamestream/4k media features?

That looks great. Hope the specs are decent

It runs a " AMD customized processor, with Radeon Graphics technology" Probably some version of their APU A10 cpu thats in laptops and 4gigs of memory for the low end line. That's my guess.

Heres a thought - What if it WAS a nvidia shield?

Shields have an Arm processor and share more in common with high end smart phones. This is going to be closer to a steam box. A headless laptop running linux.

BiggNife

So it's basically a Steam Machine with Atari branding for $250? Huh. Not as bad as I thought it would be, honestly, but I still don't really see the point of this.

But also, never, ever back hardware on crowdfunding sites. There's almost always delays, manufacturing problems, downgrades, etc. Just because there's working prototypes doesn't mean a product is ready for mass production. And if they use IndieGoGo's Flexible Funding, they'll get backer money regardless of whether or not they actually get enough money to produce the product.

PantsuJo

AMD APUs, Linux... And the small case looks similar to Linux Mint Boxes.

Are we sure they are not just rebranding some Mint boxes with a new color and launcher?

orava

I'm assuming that it's the Atari vault games at first because that already does have SteamOS support. The UI is probably custom and shows only the atari games, even if it can run linux games fine.

compo

Banned
$250?!

The only way I can justify paying that much is if I can connect my Steam account and use this as a literal Steambox. I doubt that's going to happen, though. Atari will probably have their own store that they're going to try to push.

I'm out (pending the availability of Steam). I'm already settled with my streaming/multimedia setup, and I'm not really interested in investing in another digital store. I was hoping this thing would be nothing more than the Atari version of the NES/SNES mini.

compo

Banned

An interesting quote from that article:

“With Ataribox, we wanted to create an open system, a killer product where people can game, stream and browse with as much freedom as possible. Atari games and content will be available as well as games and content from other providers,” said Chesnais, in a statement.

So it seems like you will be able to install Steam on the Ataribox, if I'm reading that statement correctly. I would be a lot more interested in this, if so.

AmFreak

An interesting quote from that article:
“With Ataribox, we wanted to create an open system, a killer product where people can game, stream and browse with as much freedom as possible. Atari games and content will be available as well as games and content from other providers,” said Chesnais, in a statement.
"We call it Ataribox or in short PC".

Pandy

Probably more interested in this than I should be, but then the 2600 was the first gaming device I ever owned, so it's hardly surprising.

Will be setting aside some cash for this, but holding onto it until I know exactly what I'm getting.

iswasdoes

Shields have an Arm processor and share more in common with high end smart phones. This is going to be closer to a steam box. A headless laptop running linux.

So it is. Well that blows my theory.

Really interested to see how they make this in any way worth the money. Cant really expect people to pay 300 for old atari games, when nintendo have set that market firmly at the sub $100 mark. But what else could it do? Even if it can run steam games that can run on a mid spec laptop, surely anyone interested in that prospect would just get a regular PC?

Baffling product

Top Bottom