• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

Pretty excited about the Win 2, but god almighty please fix the atrocious membranes. Use dome switches like the Vita or something - the current controls are bad, Makes it hard to recommend an otherwise fantastic little device.

I think I finally got the dpad to a good enough state, though. I'm using a 3DSXL dpad, the update membrane, and a really thin piece of flexible plastic (one of the flat screw covers from a GBA SP, cut in half with an X-Acto knife) jammed in the center to serve as a pivot extender so the pad doesn't bottom out. It's not perfect - still bottoms out a bit too much for my taste - but this thing's such a pain to keep taking apart and it requires a ton of precision to get the pivot "just right." Before, I used the entire screw cover. It looked like it fit perfectly, but it made it almost impossible to press down after I put the whole thing together.

Going to stop messing with the device now probably. Every time I open it up, I somehow lose a screw (and have yet to find good replacement ones). More recently, one of the case screws somehow destroyed the peg it goes into. I'd like to attribute this to my own incompetence, but I'm still at a loss as to how that happened. To GPD's credit, the device is actually really solidly put together. They went overboard on the screws - everything stays pretty nicely in place just clicked together. Missing a few screws makes literally no difference.

MJPIA

Hmm anyone got phone batteries lying around they can measure?
The one I bought from Ebay is too wide but I just realized the battery for my LG G5 is nearly identical in length and width while being a little over half the thickness.
Samsung in particular uses long thin batteries and you can find OEM batteries cheap on ebay so if you've got a battery for a phone that says 3.8V on it measure it please.
IIRC the Win's battery is roughly 100mm x 50mm and I can't remember the thickness.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have a weird issue, games start by running well but with time they run worse,especially with bandicam, everytime i get a screen the game seems to run worse, i got the evidence with Deadlight because i also had the fps counter, it started running rather well close to 30fps, then after every shot the fps become worse until i stopped at 8fps.
Bandicam probably makes things worse but it seems to me that it happens even without it, maybe some kind of energy saving options or something similar is the reason? If so which setting?

I have a weird issue, games start by running well but with time they run worse,especially with bandicam, everytime i get a screen the game seems to run worse, i got the evidence with Deadlight because i also had the fps counter, it started running rather well close to 30fps, then after every shot the fps become worse until i stopped at 8fps.
Bandicam probably makes things worse but it seems to me that it happens even without it, maybe some kind of energy saving options or something similar is the reason? If so which setting?

Sounds like thermal throttling?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sounds like thermal throttling?

I didn't think of that, i guess i should try using throttlestop again.

I dunno why but at a certain point some months ago my GPD Win started running better without throttlestop, it runs so well that since then i have never used the fan because it never becomes too hot(i mean it still becomes warm but not burning hot, and until few weeks ago we were in summer!) and the battery lasts probably 4 hours or even more.

MJPIA

Hmm I've been just setting my device on a 8"x8" copper sheet while its running and my device is running cooler and the copper is discoloring from the heat.
I feel like I should make a copper bottom once I get a new battery, isolate the battery from the main system heat with teflon sheet and I need to get back into working on my heatsink experiments to improve heat removal from the system.

I don't think it will be but it'd be interesting if this was Windows based.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/raz...-hong-kong-ipo-and-a-razer-mobile-device.html
An IPO will be the first step in a much longer journey: Razer CEO
9:41 PM ET Tue, 19 Sept 2017 | 13:27
Gaming company Razer has confirmed it is in the process of developing a mobile device focusing on gaming and entertainment.

"One of the most hotly rumored things about Razer is that we're coming up with a mobile device. And I can say that we are coming up with a mobile device specifically geared toward gamers and entertainment," Min-Liang Tan, CEO and co-founder of Razer, told CNBC's "Managing Asia."

"We're hoping to have it come ... by the end of the year, so that's something we're working on," Tan said.
Still, the mobile market looks set to remain a key focus at the company.

"The mobile market is one of those that we've taken a long-term view to look at ... We realized that a lot of our gamers are also passionate about the mobile gaming market, so we've done a couple of moves," Tan said.

The CEO also addressed Razer's plans to go public after news broke in July that the company was seeking a Hong Kong initial public offering by year-end.

"We would love to have that war chest to allow us to invest in R&D. We are known to have disrupted many industries: We're the first in the gaming peripherals side of things, we were first when we invented the first true gaming laptop, we've gone on to provide one of the largest software platforms for gamers," Tan said.

"Having that war chest from the IPO would allow us to do all that and much more. And that's what we want to continue doing: to make cool products," he added.

While Tan was tight-lipped on the exact figure Razer intended to raise from an IPO, he acknowledged that it would be "a substantial float." Reuters reported in July that a valuation range between $3 billion and $5 billion was being weighed by the company.
More competitors in the Windows palmtop gaming scene would be nice.

Xtyle

Ordered the GPD Pocket from Amazon and got it today.
My plan is to used it for work. Not looking to game on it or anything.

But it is such a beautiful piece of machine and I would hate to scratch the screen or anything.

So, is there a nice screen protector? I only found one on Amazon but there isn't any review for it yet...has anyone used this and is it a quality one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728HBK5L/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: ok...so this thread is for the GPD Win? does it have the same screen as the Pocket? And if it does, any good screen protector out there?

aaaaa0

But it is such a beautiful piece of machine and I would hate to scratch the screen or anything.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the goofy keyboard layout. I mean seriously, who thought putting DEL where the backslash key is supposed to be was a good idea?

I'd wish for keyboard backlighting, a webcam (for Skype), and an integrated LTE modem -- but otherwise I'm happy with mine.

So, is there a nice screen protector? I only found one on Amazon but there isn't any review for it yet...has anyone used this and is it a quality one?

My GPD Pocket came with a screen protector in the box, but it was just a tiny bit too wide, so there are bubbles on the right side that I can't get rid of. :(

Edit: ok...so this thread is for the GPD Win? does it have the same screen as the Pocket? And if it does, any good screen protector out there?
The GPD Win has a much smaller screen, so no.

apd_ng

Hmm I've been just setting my device on a 8"x8" copper sheet while its running and my device is running cooler and the copper is discoloring from the heat.
I feel like I should make a copper bottom once I get a new battery, isolate the battery from the main system heat with teflon sheet and I need to get back into working on my heatsink experiments to improve heat removal from the system.

I don't think it will be but it'd be interesting if this was Windows based.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/raz...-hong-kong-ipo-and-a-razer-mobile-device.html

More competitors in the Windows palmtop gaming scene would be nice.

Razer did bring out the Edge Tablet which looked pretty good from what i've seen

NeOak

I used a Nook 7 anti glare screen protector on it. If you can find a 8" anti glare one, get that. Should fit fine due to the 16:10 aspect ratio and the bezels.

Also, check the reddit for the unlocked BIOS. I made the thread about the modifications to it.

And see if you can get the thermal paste replaced as well as bending the heatsink legs for more pressure. The factory Colgate paste it comes with is bad.

Xtyle

I used a Nook 7 anti glare screen protector on it. If you can find a 8" anti glare one, get that. Should fit fine due to the 16:10 aspect ratio and the bezels.

Also, check the reddit for the unlocked BIOS. I made the thread about the modifications to it.

And see if you can get the thermal paste replaced as well as bending the heatsink legs for more pressure. The factory Colgate paste it comes with is bad.

for the unlocked bios. Do I have to do the hardware thermal mod in order to use the tweaks? I don't plan on doing the thermal mod and by accident damaging this beautiful piece of hardware.
Ok, is the thermal mod easy? I have always done putting my computers together with parts since the 90's...should this be piece of a cake for me to do?

NeOak

for the unlocked bios. Do I have to do the hardware thermal mod in order to use the tweaks? I don't plan on doing the thermal mod and by accident damaging this beautiful piece of hardware.
Ok, is the thermal mod easy? I have always done putting my computers together with parts since the 90's...should this be piece of a cake for me to do?

It is easy. Take off heatsink, wipe paste away, put new paste, bend outward the heatsink legs, put back heatsink.

You don't have to do the mod to do the tweaks though.

NeOak

are there picture tutorials? not sure what bending out the heatsink legs means like, the purpose of it.

Oi2RiBx.jpg

The 3 legs. You bend them a bit outwards so when you screw it down, there is extra pressure on the CPU die.

Xtyle

Ok I think I got it.
So they bend upward, and when screwed on, as you said, it forces the center part by the CPU down. Will attempt it tonight if I can find my years old Arctic Silver 5.

apd_ng

Full game of Danganronpav3 runs so much better than the demo, in the demo where I go 24~ frames in the walking bits, its about 45 in full game in the walking bits, everything feels soo much better, the VN scenes feel smoother, and the 3d class room bits are much better too

running on medium / no aa / windowed / 720p

Full game of Danganronpav3 runs so much better than the demo, in the demo where I go 24~ frames in the walking bits, its about 45 in full game in the walking bits, everything feels soo much better, the VN scenes feel smoother, and the 3d class room bits are much better too

running on medium / no aa / borderless / 720p

Not bad! Any idea how comparable performance is compared to the Vita version? Got any screenshots you could post as well? Curious how these settings actually look.

apd_ng

Not bad! Any idea how comparable performance is compared to the Vita version? Got any screenshots you could post as well? Curious how these settings actually look.

Alright give me a few and I'll post some screens, I sold my Vita ages ago so I can't help you there sorry ;_;

Alright give me a few and I'll post some screens, I sold my Vita ages ago so I can't help you there sorry ;_;

Awesome, thanks! And not a problem - I'll just assume it runs similarly to DR1 and 2 (which was unexceptional, so Win sounds like it has the advantage here anyways).

apd_ng

Any good tools to take screen shots? I'm thinking of ShareX or should i just take shoots via steam
edit:

Here are some pictures, it's mild spoilers from like the first 30 minutes, nothing big just a few screens showing the scenery I guess, none of the text and context is shown, just a few shoots of the first area i guess, take that as you will, not sure why steam didnt screen shot it's own fps reader

http://puu.sh/xJprK/33229e4614.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpsn/df11580189.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpte/8a8ef39e2e.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpuK/3e60e6b648.jpg

I steam captured them, then captured via puush so there might be some loss of quality but meh ;o

I also installed it to my 200gb sd, dunno if that makes a difference in performance

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any good tools to take screen shots? I'm thinking of ShareX or should i just take shoots via steam
edit:

Here are some pictures, it's mild spoilers from like the first 30 minutes, nothing big just a few screens showing the scenery I guess, none of the text and context is shown, just a few shoots of the first area i guess, take that as you will, not sure why steam didnt screen shot it's own fps reader

http://puu.sh/xJprK/33229e4614.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpsn/df11580189.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpte/8a8ef39e2e.jpg
http://puu.sh/xJpuK/3e60e6b648.jpg

I steam captured them, then captured via puush so there might be some loss of quality but meh ;o

I also installed it to my 200gb sd, dunno if that makes a difference in performance

Damn i really want Danganronpa v3 but it's too expensive for me now :\

Running games from a SD(but even on a fast pendrive) and with a fps counter/screenshot utility lower the performance.

apd_ng

Damn i really want Danganronpa v3 but it's too expensive for me now :\

Running games from a SD(but even on a fast pendrive) and with a fps counter/screenshot utility lower the performance.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll swap it over to the main storage, was keeping that storage space for Ys8, but that port seems to be awful; really hope it would run tho

Edit: you're right, runs much better from the internal storage, thought i'd get away with vn's on the sd card ;_;

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is the GPD Win 2 confirmed to have proper SD card support!?

Thanks for the heads up, i'll swap it over to the main storage, was keeping that storage space for Ys8, but that port seems to be awful; really hope it would run tho

Edit: you're right, runs much better from the internal storage, thought i'd get away with vn's on the sd card ;_;

Does it runs good?

Jimrpg

I’m keen on a GPD Win 2 as long as it turns out decent and has no fundamental hardware issues. With the increase in the CPU/GPU im willing to wait it out even if it’s a couple of hundred more.

I’m just wondering how hot it gets. I’m used to the Vita and 3DS and they don’t get hot at all. But it seems even in the last couple of pages it gets as hot as a typical laptop or even an iPhone. How have you guys found it. I suppose it really depends on how hard you stress out the CPU/GPU.

And if it’s going to be 7” screen like the rumors say it’s going to be, that’s going to be pretty big. Wouldn’t be surprised if they do that and give another reason to keep the existing 5” GPD Win on the market.

I’m keen on a GPD Win 2 as long as it turns out decent and has no fundamental hardware issues. With the increase in the CPU/GPU im willing to wait it out even if it’s a couple of hundred more.

I’m just wondering how hot it gets. I’m used to the Vita and 3DS and they don’t get hot at all. But it seems even in the last couple of pages it gets as hot as a typical laptop or even an iPhone. How have you guys found it. I suppose it really depends on how hard you stress out the CPU/GPU.

And if it’s going to be 7” screen like the rumors say it’s going to be, that’s going to be pretty big. Wouldn’t be surprised if they do that and give another reason to keep the existing 5” GPD Win on the market.

GPD Win is 5.5 inch and it's smaller than a 3DS XL. And there's room for a wider screen.

Jimrpg

GPD Win is 5.5 inch and it's smaller than a 3DS XL. And there's room for a wider screen.

That’d be great!

The GPD Pocket is 7” isn’t it? In comparison pictures it looked pretty big if that were a handheld. I hope the GPD Win 2s size is closer to the GPD Win.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have deactivated aero, installed the win10 creator update and turned on the game mode... I think it works, maybe it's a placebo effect but games seem to run better, sadly at the moment i don't have really heavy games installed, danganronpa v3 demo during exploration now goes from 30 to 60 fps with more than 40 most of the time, i think it was less before, Deadlight run better... maybe too much because the character runs really fast, but performance downgrade fast like before, maybe orcs must die 2 runs better too, the only real downside is that Condemned Criminal Origins now tells me that a dll with asian characters is missing.

I have a question, i have more than 27gb of previous wndows installation files and more than 1gb of temporary windows installation files... Is win 10 creator safe? Anything bad i should know about it? Can i delete those files?

About the gpd win 2 i hope it gets a small resolution upgrade, 768p the minimum because some programs and some old games needs the 1024x768 resolution, and a 900p resolution at maximum(but my preferred resolution would be a nice 16/10 1280x800)

jimboton

I have deactivated aero, installed the win10 creator update and turned on the game mode... I think it works, maybe it's a placebo effect but games seem to run better, sadly at the moment i don't have really heavy games installed, danganronpa v3 demo during exploration now goes from 30 to 60 fps with more than 40 most of the time, i think it was less before, Deadlight run better... maybe too much because the character runs really fast, but performance downgrade fast like before, maybe orcs must die 2 runs better too, the only real downside is that Condemned Criminal Origins now tells me that a dll with asian characters is missing.

I have a question, i have more than 27gb of previous wndows installation files and more than 1gb of temporary windows installation files... Is win 10 creator safe? Anything bad i should know about it? Can i delete those files?

About the gpd win 2 i hope it gets a small resolution upgrade, 768p the minimum because some programs and some old games needs the 1024x768 resolution, and a 900p resolution at maximum(but my preferred resolution would be a nice 16/10 1280x800)
Please no, we end up running a lot of stuff sub 720p anyway, what's the point of using a more expensive panel drawing more power from the battery? Let all the extra power go to running as many games as possible as close to 720p as possible. 720p is already super beautiful at that size.

Out of curiosity which old games need 1024x768 but won't run @ 800*600 or 640*480?

jimboton

I hope gpd win 2 gets a 2K OLED display. If you're happy with 720p then just keep the win 1
Or, if you want a 2K Oled display buy a device where such a setup makes some sense, like a vr ready phone (or a computer monitor ffs).

It's already going to cost in the region of 600€ for its processor alone. No one wants to pay even more for a resolution basically no game running on the device is going to take advantage, ever.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Please no, we end up running a lot of stuff sub 720p anyway, what's the point of using a more expensive panel drawing more power from the battery? Let all the extra power go to running as many games as possible as close to 720p as possible. 720p is already super beautiful at that size.

Out of curiosity which old games need 1024x768 but won't run @ 800*600 or 640*480?

Now i don't remember but recently fallout 1 patched requires 1024x768, i need to play the "original version for older computers", also there are some settings windows that are higher than 720p and so on.
1366x768 or 1280x800 would be an extremely small upgrade that would make the difference in many cases though.

Maximo

I hope gpd win 2 gets a 2K OLED display. If you're happy with 720p then just keep the win 1

Bigger screen\higher res requires more power to run and a serious drain on the battery, meaning it cripples video game performance, 720p is fine for its size.

Does anyone have any advice for using a USB drive? I thought it was just the specific one that I had around, but I got a new Samsung Fit 128GB drive amd the write speeds are atrocious. It's NTSF formatted. How are other people's experiences with usong flash drives?

For the record, read speeds seem slight slower than I would like, but nothing too bad. Games still seem to load just fine.

apd_ng

Will they have another indiegogo campaign for the WIN2?
Which timeframe do you think it will come up if they do decide to do one?
You guys remember how long it was from indiegogo to finished product for the Win & Pocket?

MUnited83

For you.
Will they have another indiegogo campaign for the WIN2?
Which timeframe do you think it will come up if they do decide to do one?
You guys remember how long it was from indiegogo to finished product for the Win & Pocket?
Supposedly i believe the campaign will start in March 2018. So the releaae should be around October or so.

Top Bottom