• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

NeoRaider

I will re-post my post from iPhone X thread because i am really confused:

I honestly don't understand why are they calling this bezel-less screen design when there are bezels visible around the screen on all sides:

lKuNlEw.png

4vqmOxH.jpg

This can be called bezel-less:

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-aa-40-of-43-840x473.jpg

But how is iPhone X bezel-less??

Also this:

rqBZwSS.png

Looks really bad.

I just want to add that imo. Galaxy S8 looks 10 times better.

But does Samsung have a cult of personality like Apple where people will shell out the money for the new phone and support Apples courage to remove the headphone jack by either buying expensive apple Bluetooth earbuds or an expensive adapter to get a headphone jack back? I don't think so.

yyzjohn

Banned
Obviously there's no way of knowing for sure, but I maintain there's no way that iPhone X design would have been approved by Jobs. Looking at it side by side with the Samsung phones it's not even close. Samsung's is clean and sleek while Apple with that notch looks ridiculous. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Maximo

This is a baaad Photoshop job but man the black bar makes me feel like Austin Powers and that guy with the mole... Just FUCK get the black bar off!

giphy.gif

U0yuptH.jpg

pswii60

The S8 has visible top and bottom bezels. The X has no bezels, just a notch for the cameras and sensors.
Compared to the S8, the X definitely has bezels on the left and right.

The S8 looks way slicker on the front, especially with the curved wrap around screen, but the X looks slicker on the back. But, no fingerprint reader or health sensor there.

Kinyou

I honestly don't understand why are they calling this bezel-less screen design when there are bezels visible around the screen on all sides:
I found this confusing as well. The introduction video talks about how it's all screen, meanwhile the camera clearly shows the black space on the edges.

Chindogg

"Functional superiority" is subjective. You basically said Apple fans need to accept your opinion.

Having functions existing in Android phones that aren't currently in iOS phones does make them functionally superior.

Pretending that facial recognition is a new innovation by Apple is just straight up intellectually dishonest.

None of us actually need a new phone, and yet we focus so much of our attention on these products like they actually matter. Most people would be better off removing products from their lives, getting more sleep, and getting more exercise. Not obsessing over which smartphone they want to upgrade to this fall or which movie they're going to go see next or which game they're going to buy next week.
Maybe because you're in a thread about buying a new phone on a forum where a lot of discussion is about video games, movies and technology. As for obsession, you're talking about something that people are excited about that was announced less than 24 hours ago.

Its on you if you think that the rest of the people here are all 2 dimensional people that only exist on Gaf and only care about/do these things.

I know so many people who are more encouraged to eat well, diet and exercise thanks to apps that make their QOL in terms of calculating these things easier and better.

I just think that you've picked a really strange point to make. Sure, maybe its true for you personally that you don't want to spend all your time talking about or doing these things but don't just assume other people do. It also seems like a strange point to make in a discussion thread like this on a forum like this.

The rest of your post is agreeable but this felt like a really weird digression.

OT: Yes, I think the S8 looks a lot better but I'm already quite deep in the Apple family of hardware to back out effectively now unless there's something massive. That Wonder Woman comparison is mind-boggling though. Not sure how Apple thought that was a good idea.

Jerry

I really don't understand the obsession with removing bezels, can someone fill me in?

Watching a video on an S8 is an uncomfortable balancing act of trying not to touch the screen, it aggravates me every time.

I really don't understand the obsession with removing bezels, can someone fill me in?

Watching a video on an S8 is an uncomfortable balancing act of trying not to touch the screen, it aggravates me every time.
It's just another arbitrary bullet point that is being sold as progress to justify yearly hardware refreshes to the point of it becoming style over function.

Samsung's rounded screen edges are such a dumb gimmick though. To be honest though, I don't understand why people are so obsessed with Apple products.

xkramz

At least you can probably hold X somewhat comfortably without fear of starting something - that can't be said about S8 and other curved nonsense phones.
I've had the s6, s7, s8 and never has this happened to me mudt be isolsted problems because no one. I know complains about thst?

jm89

This is really a non issue i've had the phone for over 4 months now, i don't think i ever had to avoid touching the screen. They way the designed the edge display you won't have accidental touches or at least i didn't.

ec0ec0

Video apps wouldn't take up the whole screen anyway if the video doesn't have an aspect ratio greater than 16:9

Ahhhhhh.... So for all the 16:9 content (which would be the majority of video content?), the "notch" wouldn't come into play.

I moved from the S6 Edge to the Pixel XL. I loved the S6 Edge at first and looked amazing, like something truly new but in the end I was glad to get away from touchwiz (this was my third Touchwiz phone, I keep dumping Samsung and then hearing that it got better and returning only to be annoyed again). The pixel is almost so non-descript it's a virtue. Just this thick, black oblong, with big bezels top and bottom. It's so featureless it's almost invisible in low light. But the OS is great and the battery lasts for ages and that makes for a much better experience IMO. Then lesson I learned was that sacrificing usability, like a fingerprint scanner, for a bezelless screen was a bad idea. But there is no reason you have to do that. A Pixel in a an S8 body would be a dream phone.

The horrible "full screen but not really" iPhone X wishes it looked half as good as the Xiaomi MM2.

It's an overpriced, ugly product and there's nothing revolutionary about its design that Android phones don't have. But it's Apple, so suddenly there hasn't been any full screen phones ever.

I think that's a pre-release render. Unfortunately, the final version is a step down in the looks department. Missing the wow factor the 1st one had.

S8, V30, Mi Mix 2

Mi Mix 1

Galang

Banned
Mess. I really don't get the posts saying iPhone X looks like complete trash. All these phones posted look fine and pretty much identical to the new iPhone to me..

diaspora

Mess. I really don't get the posts saying iPhone X looks like complete trash. All these phones posted look fine and pretty much identical to the new iPhone to me..
The X doesn't look like trash but like the Essential, not everyone is going to like the cutout. If Samsung and LG's face have any merits it's the combination of slim bezels with better symmetry.

DoubleYou

Those curves take all the sexiness out of that Samsung phone.

I like the tiny bezels around the X design. Really dislike the cutout part though. Is that only for the selfie cam? I never use that. Wish there was an option without it. Phone would have been sexy af.

BigBeauford

How do they get around the bezel less design, and inadvertently hitting the screen all the time. It's bad enough on my galaxy s7 edge, where I cannot operate the phone without a case.

lKuNlEw.png

4vqmOxH.jpg

This can be called bezel-less:

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-aa-40-of-43-840x473.jpg

But how is iPhone X bezel-less??

Also this:

rqBZwSS.png

Looks really bad.

I just want to add that imo. Galaxy S8 looks 10 times better.

I have absolutely no idea how the X is bezel less as well looking at those pictures.

Breakage

You wouldn't buy a TV with a screen that had a cut-out on one side. It's hard to overlook. I'll be surprised if we see it on the iPhone 10's successor.

Lum1n3s

The note 8 and the s8 blow the iPhones outta the water I'm really thinking of getting that note 8 but I love iOS its hard to give it up.

Plus my Samsung phones in the past felt like garbage software wise after a year or so and my mom has only been on galaxy's phones since the s3 and it's been more bad than good.
This is exactly what made me give up my Note, ducking touchwiz. I'm glad to let people know that Samsung gave it up with their Note line and now have the Samsung Experience, so thank god.

Mogwai

You wouldn't buy a TV with a screen that had a cut-out on one side. It's hard to overlook. I'll be surprised if we see it on the iPhone 10's successor.
The iPhone X is like when you buy a new TV that has one of those stickers in one of the corners. Except you can't actually remove the notch...

Less bezel means more screen size without incrementing the size of the phone.

For example the X has a bigger screen size than the 8, even though the 8 is a bigger phone.

That is appealing to me.

This is exactly what made me give up my Note, ducking touchwiz. I'm glad to let people know that Samsung gave it up with their Note line and now have the Samsung Experience, so thank god.

What? No Touchwiz? What's 'Samsung Experience'? It sounds bad. Is it close to stock?

Ecto311

I'm hoping that apple makes the 2 sides of the speaker on the front top of the phone for notifications while watching a video or playing a game. Make the screen cut off on the right after the speaker bezel and only apps use the top 2 screen spots. Or allow them to be black. I really doubt they are going to have this black strip in the middle of video or games.

bionic77

Isn't "apple" as a verb: "make a lot of money on yesterday's innovations from design"? If so: no, Samsung isn't out-appling Apple anytime soon.
Where did all of these companies get the idea on how to make a smartphone from?

This thread is pretty toxic.

Top Bottom