• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best switchbox (composite, S-video, component) out there?

I'm currently on the lookout for a new switchbox for my gaming setup. Specifically I've been eyeing the System Selector Pro in both of its forms. Aside from the 2.0's digital display and remote control switchability, are there any advantages it holds over its predecessors (PL-957 and PL-960)? I'm also open to suggestions on other switchboxes.

cartman414 said:
I'm currently on the lookout for a new switchbox for my gaming setup. Specifically I've been eyeing the System Selector Pro in both of its forms. Aside from the 2.0's digital display and remote control switchability, are there any advantages it holds over its predecessors (PL-957 and PL-960)? I'm also open to suggestions on other switchboxes.

I have 3 of the System Selector Pro. 2 of them are the original model and work great, although remote-less. The 3rd one is the intermediate model, the one that looks pretty much the same but adds the remote. It introduces serious interference into the signal. Once I finally narrowed it down to be sure it's that switchbox and not any other part of my setup, I took it out and got another of the original model off Ebay (which is why I have 2).

cartman414 said:

A good home theatre receiver. Really. If you're going to spend 100+$ on a switcher anyway, you may as well get a receiver and eventually move up to 5.1 sound (if you don't already).

cartman414 said:
I don't have 5.1 yet.

Besides, they're going for $50 tops on ebay right now.

I'd still invest in a receiver. Even if you don't have speakers yet, you can buy them separately (even start out with two and maybe a subwoofer, then get a centre, then the two rears, etc.). I was in the same position as you a few years ago, and I'm glad I went the way I did.

(I only spent about 200$USD on my receiver, because I found a deal. It's still sounds great and I haven't felt the need to "move up".)

cartman414 said:
I see. Any suggestions on a good receiver?

Well that depends on your budget. What would be looking to spend? It wouldn't hurt to look at adverts in your area to see if there are any sales and then ask about specific models here.

_dementia said:
whether you go receiver or switchbox, be sure to use monster cables; it makes all the difference

Quiet you.

Dragona Akehi said:
Well that depends on your budget. What would be looking to spend? It wouldn't hurt to look at adverts in your area to see if there are any sales and then ask about specific models here.

I see. Though one of my online buddies just told me that receivers can cause interference.

Quiet you.

Ha! And here I thought recommending Monster cables was something only sales associates do.

cartman414 said:
I see. Though one of my online buddies just told me that receivers can cause interference.

Forgive me, but interference with what? Do you mean picture lag or whatnot? Good receivers (even lower end ones like mine) simply pass through to the television. It's rather rare for lag to happen unless the receiver has an "upscale" option or something (which can usually be turned off).

bumpkin

Leondexter said:
I have 3 of the System Selector Pro. 2 of them are the original model and work great, although remote-less. The 3rd one is the intermediate model, the one that looks pretty much the same but adds the remote. It introduces serious interference into the signal. Once I finally narrowed it down to be sure it's that switchbox and not any other part of my setup, I took it out and got another of the original model off Ebay (which is why I have 2).
I've got the System Selector Pro 2 and I have zero complaints about it. Thing works like a dream.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
1154a_scaled_740.jpg

but it's $200+

It's so good though. :D

Top Bottom