• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

amrum said:
I don't know what to do, picking one on day launch or waiting for this one :

536517lr.jpg

:)

SEX

i'll buy 7

Xavien

Milpool said:
If you mean RGB cable then you'll have to buy one separately, the Wii comes equipped with just a composite cable. There is quite a difference, close to composite compared to component, it's especially noticeable on text.

There is indeed a very large difference (the same difference as Composite to Component), however you have to make sure you plug the RGB SCART cable into an RGB SCART socket on the TV. Some SCART sockets are S-video only so you wouldn't get any additional quality improvement, so remember, only buy the RGB SCART cable (official or third party) if you have an RGB SCART socket, otherwise its just a waste :(

also just to clear up, the Wii will come with a Bundled Composite cable, but with a Composite to SCART converter box attached on the end as usual.

EDIT: like this:
SW-4950_lg.jpg

Rocked said:

I just saw this advert on UKTV Gold about 30 mins ago, seems the Wii promotional campaign has started.

EDIT #2: and another Zelda advert.

Burger

So when I pop Zelda in, am I going to be playing in PAL progressive (25fps) or am I going to be playing in NTSC progressive (30fps) ?

I find it hard to believe a PAL nintendo console will output a NTSC signal. I also can't believe we still don't have an answer for this.

If I have to play Zelda in some shit 50hz mode I'll just smash the frikken thing.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Burger said:
So when I pop Zelda in, am I going to be playing in PAL progressive (25fps) or am I going to be playing in NTSC progressive (30fps) ?

I find it hard to believe a PAL nintendo console will output a NTSC signal. I also can't believe we still don't have an answer for this.

If I have to play Zelda in some shit 50hz mode I'll just smash the frikken thing.

You will play it in 480p if you have a component cable.

Today's being great... I have only watched about 3 hours of TV today but so far have seen 5 adverts for Wii

I have seen two Zelda adverts (both 30mins)
- horse riding
- fighting

Seen two Wii adverts
-15 min “what could this be”
-30 min “wii can do anything”

And just seen a Wii Sports avert
- 30min showing people of all ages playing the five games

Bo130

Keyser Soze said:
Today's being great... I have only watched about 3 hours of TV today but so far have seen 5 adverts for Wii

- horse riding
- fighting

Seen two Wii adverts
-15 min “what could this be”
-30 min “wii can do anything”

And just seen a Wii Sports avert
- 30min showing people of all ages playing the five games

3 hours of TV and 2:15+ of them being commercials. Dude, what channel are YOU watching? :lol

dak1dsk1

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Cool, thanks. Are SCART cables standard or will I have to get the official one? I suspect the latter, but I'm sure I could steal one off a DVD player or something if not.
get the official or wait for a cheaper third party cable. Once you gamed with rgb-scart, you will never go back.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Xavien said:
also just to clear up, the Wii will come with a Bundled Composite cable, but with a Composite to SCART converter box attached on the end as usual.

EDIT: like this:
SW-4950_lg.jpg
By which he means; the picture will still look like crap. Get the official rgb

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I have two Wiis preordered, both through GAME (one in the store and one online with Zelda and Red Steel). Since I preordered them pretty damn quickly they are confirmed for launch.

The in-store Wii was originally going to be for my sister as a surprise Christmas present (she loves Zelda). However she found my DS and 42 All-Time Classics and is now really set on getting both instead, so the Wii is going to somebody at work instead. eBaying it did cross my mind, but I know a ton of people who want a Wii at work and haven't had any luck with preorders since they left them too late.

..although knowing the schmuck I'm letting have the Wii, he'll probably eBay it anyway. Bah.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Keyser Soze said:
- horse riding
- fighting

I saw that horse riding one. I was like "Oooh, a Zelda advert! Hang on! F**K! SPOILERS! SHIT!" and ran out of the room.

meppi

Burger said:
I'm positive the games will be in Pal 60.

Read somewhere you'll be able to set this in the system setup, so hopefully 3rd party lazyness won't mean unoptimised Pal games anymore.

On another note, the first thing I make sure to pick up with a new system is a RGB cable.
I even have almost all of my retro systems RGB modded that didn't support it originally.
It's a huge difference in picture quality, but just in sharpness but the colors actually look as bright as they are suposed to without any blurring.

Almost all tv's have at least 1 RGB supported input, so as mentioned before, make sure to plug it in the right one otherwise it won't make any difference.
One way to test if you've got the right connector is when you put the system on, your tv will automaticly switch over to your console.

Burger

meppi said:
I'm positive the games will be in Pal 60.

Read somewhere you'll be able to set this in the system setup, so hopefully 3rd party lazyness won't mean unoptimised Pal games anymore.

Oh I'm in no doubt that I can play Zelda in PAL 60 interlaced if I like.

But I cannot see Nintendo putting a NTSC progressive spec on the Wii dashboard.

PAL progressive signals are not 60hz, they are 50hz. I hope to hell I'm wrong... Come on Nintendo, show us some foresight and prove me wrong.

Milpool

Xavien said:
...however you have to make sure you plug the RGB SCART cable into an RGB SCART socket on the TV. Some SCART sockets are S-video only so you wouldn't get any additional quality improvement, so remember, only buy the RGB SCART cable (official or third party) if you have an RGB SCART socket, otherwise its just a waste :(...

True, on my telly only AV1 is RGB compatible, which I hear is common. It also displays an RGB icon in the corner of the screen for a second if it's receiving an RGB signal, which is handy.

Bo130

A friend of mine just got a call from the EB Games manager - one of the biggest game shops in Denmark, saying that because of him being 13. in line, he couldn't get his Wii for launch... o_O I haven't heard of any shop having more than 30 consoles for launch in Denmark either. This is gonna suck ._.

Kaeru

Banned
Not strange really. Nintendo knows that the big fight takes place in America, its the Wii vs 360.
SONY doesnt have anything to come with at the moment, maybe not even 1 million consoles before the end of 2006.
Europe well we dont get our PS3 until march, and even that is uncertain. So I understand if Nintendo underships to Europe at the moment, hopefully they have a healthy production and until march 2007 they should have produced 7-11 million consoles.

Xavien

Well i have noticed a real increase in Xbox 360 adverts recently (like 2 per advert break in peak times), i think in the UK, for the next 4-5 months at least, the real battle is gonna be between the 360 and the wii.

Since the increase in 360 ads cant be just a coincidence.

thomaser

Wooo! Just got off the phone with Nintendo, and my store will get more than double the amount of Wiis that we were originally going to get. First, they said 9. Then, they guaranteed 20. And now, we'll get 26 more the week after launch. So 46 systems before Christmas :) I'm in Norway, by the way. Also, we'll get one Zelda TP per Wii. 10 more systems the second week in January, and 15 more the week after that. MUCH better than before.

The only very slight downer is that Madden 07 is cancelled here, but that's kind of expected anyway.

Kaeru

Banned
thomaser said:
Wooo! Just got off the phone with Nintendo, and my store will get more than double the amount of Wiis that we were originally going to get. First, they said 9. Then, they guaranteed 20. And now, we'll get 26 more the week after launch. So 46 systems before Christmas :) I'm in Norway, by the way. Also, we'll get one Zelda TP per Wii. 10 more systems the second week in January, and 15 more the week after that. MUCH better than before.

The only very slight downer is that Madden 07 is cancelled here, but that's kind of expected anyway.

Fan vilken tur ni har då!

Im from Sweden, since were the biggest market in Scandinavia I hope Nintendo treats us the same way!!

thomaser

Kaeru said:
Fan vilken tur ni har då!

Im from Sweden, since were the biggest market in Scandinavia I hope Nintendo treats us the same way!!

We buy our things from Bergsala in Sweden, so there's a very good chance the situation is the same with you as well.

Kaeru

Banned
thomaser said:
We buy our things from Bergsala in Sweden, so there's a very good chance the situation is the same with you as well.

I dont know, because every swedish internetstore has said on their sites that they get less the n expected, but I dont know if its just a marketing scam to sell more consoles??

I am, howewer, getting mine from ToysRus since my online retailer let me down.
Have talked to Bergsala before but theyre very hard to get any information from.

thomaser

Kaeru said:
I dont know, because every swedish internetstore has said on their sites that they get less the n expected, but I dont know if its just a marketing scam to sell more consoles??

I am, howewer, getting mine from ToysRus since my online retailer let me down.
Have talked to Bergsala before but theyre very hard to get any information from.

Bergsala didn't know they got in more until late last week, so I don't think there's a scam going on :) They were as surprised as anyone else about this. I guess Nintendo managed to ramp up production or something.

ToysRus gets their systems from other distributors, so they're not dependent on what Bergsala can get hold of.

Booser

lol, i know that much from the irish comment, i meant where abouts in ireland?

Cavan. I usually go to Navan cos it the closest to me but Gamestop have NOTHING Wii related at all, not even a single poster, but the independant Game Bandits have some posters (red Steel and console) and promo boxes so there could be a chance of getting it there. The fact that Wii doesnt even seem to exist in a big chain like Gamestop is scandalous.

Thraktor

It won't until a week before launch, at the earliest. They know the people who are going to preorder will have heard about it through other means, and I'm sure they've already allocated their first couple of shipments, so they've got no need to advertise until they've got products in stock (not just consoles, but games, accessories, etc). It's the same way they are with most console launches.

Booser

It won't until a week before launch, at the earliest. They know the people who are going to preorder will have heard about it through other means, and I'm sure they've already allocated their first couple of shipments, so they've got no need to advertise until they've got products in stock (not just consoles, but games, accessories, etc). It's the same way they are with most console launches.

I think I remember them having alot of X360 stuff well before it launched. Could be wrong though.

Burger said:
Oh I'm in no doubt that I can play Zelda in PAL 60 interlaced if I like.

But I cannot see Nintendo putting a NTSC progressive spec on the Wii dashboard.

PAL progressive signals are not 60hz, they are 50hz. I hope to hell I'm wrong... Come on Nintendo, show us some foresight and prove me wrong.

As it seems the progressive mode will be PAL-60. It has all the advantages that PAL has over NTSC (never the same color and all these things ;) ) except for the resolution (480p instead of 576p) and it uses 60hz.

Hmm things don't seem to be looking too good for those of us who haven't pre-ordered.

ASDA say this:
I have spoken with our Buying teams who have informed me that we will be stocking the Nintendo Wii from 8th December.

However due to receiving a relatively small consignment we have not yet decided which stores they will be available in.

So it's likely that shipments to supermarkets is gonna be tiny and in a select few random stores.

Oh and a GAME employee told a friend of mine they won't get any more shipments in till February and to come back then... Which yeah he must be talking bollocks. But it doesn't bode that well.

pswii60

Luckily I have pre-ordered my Wii and am guaranteed one on day one. However, I've also pre-ordered component cables from 4 different on-line stores, in the hope that at least one of them will get them in and I can either cancel the rest or sell 'em on ebay. I can't bare to play Wii on my HDTV without component cables after I've got used to my 360 'an all.

EDIT: anyone who currently works in UK retail that can confirm they WILL be receiving component cables at launch?

Dachande

Oh Nintendo Europe, you just can't get through a launch without fúcking something up, can you?

As you may already be aware, the UK release date for Wii Component AV Cable has changed to 22-Dec-2006. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

Thanks for telling us, Game!

Preordered some Japanese cables from Play Asia instead with some express shipping. With luck they should get here in time for the launch.

Dachande said:
Oh Nintendo Europe, you just can't get through a launch without fúcking something up, can you?

Thanks for telling us, Game!

Preordered some Japanese cables from Play Asia instead with some express shipping. With luck they should get here in time for the launch.

grrrr just checked my play pre order on those cables and its on the order but the item itself is not listed anywhere on the site >.<

play asia might be a good bet....

meppi

Must be a mistake or a photoshop. It just doesn't make any sense.

Also games like Metroid Prime 2 and Geist which were 60Hz only had this mentioned on the official Nintendo site.
On the Red Steel page it doesn't mention anything about any of this...

Thraktor

It's no photoshop, I've seen it on promo boxes in store. It's gotta be a mistake, though, as it really wouldn't make sense for them to support 480p/576p, but not the interlaced varieties (although Sony might disagree with me on this one).

On the other hand, if it is true it is good news to those who actually own HDTVs, though, as it'd confirm that the game actually runs in 576p/50Hz (rather than restricting progressive scan to the 60Hz mode only). That said, I don't have a HDTV, so let's hope this isn't the case.

123rl

Not sure if it's mentioned before (too many Wii topics for me to keep track of what is said in each one) but I saw this NTSC-UK today. Seems like NOE are so well organised that stock of the Component cables will be in shops...two weeks AFTER the console!:lol
Thank you for the following order placed with GAME.

As you may already be aware, the UK release date for Wii Component AV Cable has changed to 22-Dec-2006. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

Don't worry, your order is still live and will be despatched prior to its release date via your chosen method of delivery.

Yes, that's right...Nintendo Europe really are that incompetent!

I've asked my PR guy at Ubi about the EDTV/HDTV ONLY stuff (odd, it says its 50hz compatible) but no response yet. I'll get back to you on that.

And wow, NoE cocked up again. Who saw that coming? Oh, that's right, EVERYBODY.

In other news, GAME will be holding a big launch event: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=185111
No idea what HMV are doing, they haven't done a press release yet.

123rl

Gamestation are doing a midnight opening too. Should be loads of fun :D

That Red Steel thing must be an error. Some PR monkey probably heard of HDTV and EDTV and thought "Oh, I'll put those on the cover. It'll look gud!". Same thing happened with Super Monkey Ball 2 - the box said it supported Dolby Digital Pro Logic 2 :D

Volt

JonathanEx said:
I've asked my PR guy at Ubi about the EDTV/HDTV ONLY stuff (odd, it says its 50hz compatible) but no response yet. I'll get back to you on that.

I actually played the PAL version of Red Steel for review purposes a couple of days ago. And although I played it on a HDTV, I obviously did not have the component cables to display in HD. Therefor, I can only come to the conclusion that Red Steel shouldn't be a problem on SDTVs. It just wouldn't make sense, and it would be a pretty damn bad marketing decision by Ubi if true. Then again, what I played wasn't the actual retail version, rather a near final build, so who knows? There's a Ubi party here in Belgium tomorrow. If I manage to make it there I'll be sure to bring it up to the PR guys (who probably don't even know about that bit on the box :))

Burger

Volt said:
I actually played the PAL version of Red Steel for review purposes a couple of days ago. And although I played it on a HDTV, I obviously did not have the component cables to display in HD. Therefor, I can only come to the conclusion that Red Steel shouldn't be a problem on SDTVs. It just wouldn't make sense, and it would be a pretty damn bad marketing decision by Ubi if true. Then again, what I played wasn't the actual retail version, rather a near final build, so who knows? There's a Ubi party here in Belgium tomorrow. If I manage to make it there I'll be sure to bring it up to the PR guys (who probably don't even know about that bit on the box :))

Can you confirm the display settings in the dashboard on a PAL Wii ?

Volt

Burger said:
Can you confirm the display settings in the dashboard on a PAL Wii ?

There's a 3-screen Settings menu that basically let's you choose what kind of TV you're using. HDTV is unselectable without the component cable, so yeah, display settings can be selected just like you would suspect.

Top Bottom