• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man arrested over attempt to kill BVB pro soccer players to crash team's stock price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donos

uY8WJIp.png

HMMMMMM....

Wonder why it's all crickets over there right now...

New years eve 1000 men mob in Dortmund? Are they mixing it up with Cologne? Same state, different city...

There will be a press conference in 1 hour (12:30 in germany) from the Federal Prosecutor's office. Will be live streamed (and live on TV: N24, n-tv, Phoenix)

duckroll

Idiot bought shares from the hotel where the bombs exploded and got flagged for money laundering.

He would have gotten 3.2 million euro if he had succeeded.

Holy shit what a fucking moron. I think we should all be thankful that a) he was really dumb, b) no one actually died in this stupid plan of his.

How much would the shares have to tank for him to get 3.2 million Euros?

New years eve 1000 men mob in Dortmund? Are they mixing it up with Cologne? Same state, different city...

Do you really think racists who want their warped perspective to be validated care about actual facts? Lol.

Xando

Nah they're qouting a breitbart story where allegedly muslims tried to burn down a church (it was actually 1 rocket on NYE that caused a small fire on a construction net).

How much would the shares have to tank for him to get 3.2 million Euros?

Dunno but i guess if the football team would have been hit harder the stock would tank into nothing

NEO0MJ

Mother fucker. That's slimy as all hell, using people's expectations like that.

It's extremely sad knowing how many people really wanted the case to be linked to evil brown people.

When it turns out to be something that doesn't fit that narrative everyone disappears.

I remember a story about a shooting in a French school where attention fizzled out as soon as it was revealed that the perpetrator was someone with a vendetta against a member of the school's administration.

Pennywise

What a motherfucker. I wonder how the police narrowed him down. Must have been sloppy. Also, 15,000 shares? Even if they completely tanked, it doesn't seem like he was going to make much. Certainly not anything worth trying to kill two dozen people for? Shit plan, shit motive, fucking loser of a person. Disgusting.
Plus it's not exactly the type of stock you buy on that level. More likely something for fans or investors. So that's naturally suspicious as hell.

kanuuna

The suspect had first booked a room at L`Arrivée hotel, where the Dortmund team typically stays for home matches, in mid-March. ...

According to Bild, L`Arrivée employees had become suspicious of Sergej W shortly after the explosion: while other guests ran around the hotel in a panic, he walked calmly into a restaurant and ordered a steak.

This sounds like something out of a film or TV show.

This is some comic book villain shit.

But, also a very good example of why one should remain wary until details are confirmed, even with apparent evidence.

Donos

Press conference has started (german livestream Phönix or NTV).Edit: Over.

Phönix link (german) http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Phoenix/live?kanal=5888

They are still looking into it how much € he could have gained so take all numbers with a grain of salt.

No info on the explosives because they completely expended in the explosion. They need to take ground samples etc. (was a rumor floating around that they were from german army stock)

Well, already over. Not much new informations.

It's extremely sad knowing how many people really wanted the case to be linked to evil brown people.

When it turns out to be something that doesn't fit that narrative everyone disappears.

This is a once off insane get rich quick scheme through murder.

Islamic fundamentalist attacks are an ongoing pattern across parts of europe.

Oh wow, an actual False Flag terrorist attack carried out by a Russian. After reading Russian propaganda all your life you'd probably think that was a good idea as everything is always like that.

Derwind

This is a once off insane get rich quick scheme through murder.

Islamic fundamentalist attacks are an ongoing pattern across parts of europe.

I'd say the instant gratification of dog piling over 1.6 billion people around the world is too tempting for most that something like this seems right out of left field. Rather, taking the time to look at the case beyond the initial headline could have saved many (maybe not here on GAF but still) the embarrassment when the narrative no longer fits.

Culex

Banned
What a motherfucker. I wonder how the police narrowed him down. Must have been sloppy. Also, 15,000 shares? Even if they completely tanked, it doesn't seem like he was going to make much. Certainly not anything worth trying to kill two dozen people for? Shit plan, shit motive, fucking loser of a person. Disgusting.

OP Shows he was going to potentially make up to 4 million in US dollars...not exactly chump change.

Mimosa97

Don't give German media ideas lol. We don't want to go back to blaming video games for crimes now that the focus is on anime after the cold blooded stabbings of that weirdo who bragged on 4chan.

Truly disgusting act indeed. And he accepted killing multiple people and ruining their families lives for a few thousand bucks? Dude must've been pretty damn desperate.

Anime taking one for the team lmao

Stay strong Anime

Anime taking one for the team lmao

Stay strong Anime
Doubt that much will happen on the anime front, but it shows how intolerant large parts of the older population and politicians (most of the influential ones belonging to the former group as well, kek) are towards anything youth pop-culture, especially if it's something that hasn't been around in public perception for longer than ~20 years.

That the SWR joined in on the dog-piling is pretty disgraceful, but it's not that surprising considering how e.g. the ZDF still treats videogames every time the topic comes up in their news.

Oh wow, an actual False Flag terrorist attack carried out by a Russian. After reading Russian propaganda all your life you'd probably think that was a good idea as everything is always like that.

According to DER SPIEGEL he got a German and Russian citizenship and was educated here in Germany.

Thread is awfully slow on GAF too. People sure feel more strongly about brown criminals, don't they.

KDR_11k

This is just extremely fucked up. I wonder if he's a sociopath or just extremely greedy.

Shit, even ordering a steak... does he think he's Dexter?

Fritz

If he is found legally sane he will probably get a life sentence for attempted murder. Just think of the street racers on Kurfürstendamm recently.

Kinyou

This guy wanted to achieve his goal by using extreme violence to create terror amongst the general populace.

Sounds like terrorism to me.
He doesn't represent an ideology that others might follow, he doesn't try to achieve any political goals, his attack was purely self driven.
If you define this as terrorism you might as well define any act of murder as terrorism.

He doesn't represent an ideology that others might follow, he doesn't try to achieve any political goals, his attack was purely self driven.
If you define this as terrorism you might as well define any act of murder as terrorism.

Not really, a murderer or even serial killer causing the public to shit themselves is generally a by-product of the violence, not something that is integral to the motives of the perpetrator.

Is the desire for profit above all else in a capitalist society not an ideology that other people follow?

orhnsnmz

I think even the €78k were misreported/miscalculated and the actual money he invested were exactly €5.000, which would have made him nothing even if the shares would've tanked.
So this is a totally stupid act altogether.

But can someone explain to me how this actually works?

I go to a broker with 100k and say that the shares of this particular company will tank in the next few months and then what?

Kinyou

Not really, a murderer or even serial killer causing the public to shit themselves is generally a by-product of the violence, not something that is integral to the motives of the perpetrator.

Is the desire for profit above all else in a capitalist society not an ideology that other people follow?
This was also a byproduct, his goal was to crash the BVB stock by killing their players. What the public thinks doesn't matter for that plan. He did it this way because he wanted to lead the Investigators on a wrong path

And if we define any murder made out of greed in a capitalist society as terrorism you have again a way too wide definition

I think even the €78k were misreported/miscalculated and the actual money he invested were exactly €5.000, which would have made him nothing even if the shares would've tanked.
So this is a totally stupid act altogether.

But can someone explain to me how this actually works?

I go to a broker with 100k and say that the shares of this particular company will tank in the next few months and then what?

It's a bit like Trading Places.

Let's say I decide my Dortmund shares, worth £10 today, are going to tank a month from now. I find someone who wants to buy Dortmund shares at £10 each and agree to sell at that price one month from now if the price drops below a certain threshold, let's say £8.

In exchange I pay £1 which is non-refundable, kinda like an insurance premium.

So one month from now, when Dortmund shares have tanked to £8 I sell them for £10 which is the price I agreed to a month ago. £10 selling price - (£8 value + £1 premium) = £1 profit per share.

Because it's an option, if the price doesn't drop then I don't have to sell my shares and eat the £1 premium.

That's the gist of it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom