• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

2th

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
OK, so here's my plan.

It will, of course, feature all the great OT staples:
- Custom graphic banner and section headers
- Introduction
- Thread rules
- Cultural context
- Character bios
- Episode list for both seasons (updated regularly)
- Merchandise information
- Wallpapers
- About the community
- Notable fan creations
- Reviews and testimonies
- Useful links

However, the centerpiece of the OP, and the way I plan to set it apart from what has been done before, would be a large comic starring our very own mascot, wandering through Equestria in "ghost" form (not seen or heard by any other character, since she, as a projection of our particular community, is not really part of that universe), and introducing to the reader the many locations of Equestria and its inhabitants... in song form. This comic would link to a video featuring the song itself, written in the spirit of the show, and with lyrics contributed by Pony-GAF members. A song I have already started composing (hence the musical notes I posted yesterday), and for which I have already found a very talented singer willing to do the vocals. The video would feature a semi-animated version of the comic itself, of course.

Talents needed:
- Designers for banners, headers and wallpapers
- Writers
- Link/content gatherers
- Avatar creators (I'm looking at you, Foxix and Nishastra)
- Comic artists (I can do this too, but I could use help)
- MIDI arrangers or musicians
- Animators (nothing too complex)
- Video editors

We have about six months to do this thing, if you think it's a good idea.

... Is this overkill?

i would like to help. not an artist at all but i can write. and having a background in academia means i can write... a lot!

Nishastra said:
It really is totally insane.
Agreed. Complete and total.

But at the same time, I love how ambitious it is.

The biggest help I'll probably be able to provide would be content/link finding, writing up character/episode descriptions among other stuff, and working on the general layout of the post. It's not much but I have extremely minimal experience with stuff like photoshop.

Myke Greywolf said:
Plan overview is here

If we succeed in having the comic ready 3 months before season 2 starts, we will try to create the video. Animators will be supplied with storyboards, sound files and art assets. Then, they shall animate.

So essentially a comic that is also a bit animated?

Like Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel for PSP?

Or just a regular comic with one or two animated segments?

Also I have a better idea for a story.

PM me if you want to hear it.

2th

Banned
Nishastra said:
Not really.

Someone find Careskims. If we can get him in on this, I think we can achieve anything :p

you assume it is john joseco. i mean the evidence is compelling but we have no confirmation. SOmeone should message him and see.

OMG Aero

Man, it's going to be a massive bummer if we go through all this effort and the second series is terrible and nothing like the first one.

OMG Aero said:
Man, it's going to be a massive bummer if we go through all this effort and the second series is terrible and nothing like the first one.
This is impossible. Simply because there will be a Luna episode.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Flying_Phoenix said:
So essentially a comic that is also a bit animated?

Like Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel for PSP?

Or just a regular comic with one or two animated segments?
The version in the OP would be a normal comic. The video version would animated to match the song.

Articalys said:
On one hand, I respect all this dedication and intensity for your little project. On the other, why can't we have the same level of commitment to important things that aren't, you know, a well-made children's cartoon with a large periphery demographic?
We appreciate your concern with the way we spend our time, and we are sorry that our enthusiasm is not deemed worthy by your measure.

2th

Banned
Articalys said:
If that happened, the delicious tears would sustain me until my death several millennia from now.

On one hand, I respect all this dedication and intensity for your little project. On the other, why can't we have the same level of commitment to important things that aren't, you know, a well-made children's cartoon with a large periphery demographic?

and what would you suggest we direct our energies toward? solving world hunger? bringing about world peace? why the fuck would anyone on GAF want that?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Myke Greywolf said:
Are you trying to talk me out from it?

Myke, I wish you all the luck in the world, man. But I wouldn't have come up with such an insane idea, myself.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ZealousD said:
Myke, I wish you all the luck in the world, man. But I wouldn't have come up with such an insane idea, myself.
GCdhJm.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I have NO idea what this is about. Anoter OP? Season 2 Thread? Who cares!
I can do the following

Myke Greywolf said:
Talents needed:
- Designers for banners, headers and wallpapers
- Comic artists (I can do this too, but I could use help) (Maybe, depends on what you expect)

And I could help with

Myke Greywolf said:
- Avatar creators (I'm looking at you, Foxix and Nishastra)
- Video editors
- Link/content gatherers
Again, depending on what to do exactly ^^ Where is my Vegas?

So, what exactly ARE you planning to do? OP for Season 2?

Foxix Von

I've been sick/busy and I'm still like 8 pages behind and not exactly sure whats going on, but I'll gladly start ramping avatar production back up for a new thread! (I've been slacking since my new laptop doesn't have any photo editing software and my dad's always on our old junker in the living room)

Snaku

Banned
Finally saw A Party of One. Psychotic Pinkie is best Pinkie by far. I don't remember the last time I cracked up as much as I did during her mental breakdown.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Myke Greywolf said:
Yes. My wonderfully insane proposal is here.
Yeah, I saw it, but that was the first thing I saw - didn't catch what you guys planned before that posting :)

Alright, just tell me if I can help with anything I mentioned in my previous post ^^

Darte

Myke Greywolf said:
It's not just for the lyrics, it's also for all the text sections on the OP. I think it would be great if Pony-GAF could write it as a group.

In that case, I'll help with some of the writing sections as well. Though I wouldn't be able to fully commit until June to start as I'm in the final few weeks of my last semester at college and I've got several presentations and a capstone project to do, so I'm really busy these days D;

G-Fex

Well I'm sure something will come up and I'll miss tommorow's episode.

And that's fine, I don't care I'll watch it on youtube or something.

duckroll

Just as head's up to the thread, after the finale airs, and discussion on the finale has died down, I'll be moving the thread to the Community forum. Discussions about the series at large, and the overall fandom, would be more appropriate for that forum, but I'm keeping the thread on OT out of the consideration of those following the series and discussing episodes after they air.

OMG Aero

Amibguous Cad said:
I'll be watching the finale as it airs, but I'll also definitely stop by the ponygaf synchtube channel. When is it going to be again?
Synchtube starts at midnight GMT tomorrow, but I'll be posting in this thread and PMing everyone interested at that time in case you forget.

duckroll said:
Just as head's up to the thread, after the finale airs, and discussion on the finale has died down, I'll be moving the thread to the Community forum. Discussions about the series at large, and the overall fandom, would be more appropriate for that forum, but I'm keeping the thread on OT out of the consideration of those following the series and discussing episodes after they air.
Wait, I'm confused. If you move the thread to community how is it also going to be kept in OT?
Also would this be the first non-gaming thread to get moved to community?

duckroll said:
I thought the community forum was exclusively for games?

There's going to be a lot of confused people in there if a My Little Pony thread keeps getting bumped to the top.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
duckroll said:
What happens if we reach 20,000 posts while there?
Mechanical Snowman said:
There's going to be a lot of confused people in there if a My Little Pony thread keeps getting bumped to the top.
That's not that different from what happened in OT. :p

duckroll

OMG Aero said:
Wait, I'm confused. If you move the thread to community how is it also going to be kept in OT?

I'm saying the nature of the thread in general fits Community better than OT, the only reason it hasn't been moved yet is because the season is still airing and I want to keep it here until after the finale airs.

Myke Greywolf said:

You make a new thread. :p

G-Fex said:
Well I'm sure something will come up and I'll miss tommorow's episode.

And that's fine, I don't care I'll watch it on youtube or something.
Please be there!

It will be like a date.

Myke Greywolf said:

That's not that different from what happened in OT. :p
Difference is, the wrath of gamers can be far more fierce than that of film nerds and whoever else makes up the OT. :D

G-Fex

Mechanical Snowman said:
Please be there!

It will be like a date.

Difference is, the wrath of gamers can be far more fierce than that of film nerds and whoever else makes up the OT. :D

be where what are you talking about?

Neki

Hopefully the gaming side of GAF that hangs out in Community will be more loving and accepting than OT GAF.

lol

Articalys

There is one thing I wonder in the aftermath of all this.
If the same standards of writing, animation, characterization, voice acting, music, etc. had all been applied to a different brand-new cartoon, aimed at the same audience, but without the whole pony thing, would it have been anywhere near as internet-successful?

Feep said:
Hey, PonyGAF!

My game, Sequence, just released. You can click here for the official thread, or here to download the game directly to your Xbox.

As promised, here's the secret code:

Upon reaching the seventh floor, go to the Gear screen. Hold down the following buttons: D-Pad Left, A, Y, Left Trigger, and Right Bumper. Then, use your mouth or something to press the Right Analog Stick inward. You'll get your special PonyGAF item!

Sadly, I don't have a 360. Would you mind terribly if I post about this on something like Ponychan, or maybe submit it to Equestria Daily, I would imagine it might get some more attention and downloads for your game?

Neki

Articalys said:
If the same standards of writing, animation, characterization, voice acting, music, etc. had all been applied to a different brand-new cartoon, aimed at the same audience, but without the whole pony thing, would it have been anywhere near as internet-successful?
Me trying to imagine is that instead of ponies, we had human ponies, and I don't think it'd work. Half of the fun comes from the ridiculousness of that they're ponies doing ordinary human things, lol. Like how would flying, talking to animals, dragons/other ridiculous creatures, having Trollestia even work without ponies?

HatterMadness

Neo Member
Ultimoo said:
Me trying to imagine is that instead of ponies, we had human ponies, and I don't think it'd work. Half of the fun comes from the ridiculousness of that they're ponies doing ordinary human things, lol. Like how would flying, talking to animals, talking to dragons, having Trollestia even work without ponies?

It amuses me to no end when they say "Everypony".

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Articalys said:
Of course not! I mean, ponies, man. How crazy is that?

Unless, of course, we were talking about dolphins. Can you imagine Pinkie Pie as a friggin' dolphin? Of course not, because if you did, your heart would explode on the spot.

The serious answer: We shall never know. This was a perfect storm.

Articalys

Ultimoo said:
Me trying to imagine is that instead of ponies, we had human ponies, and I don't think it'd work. Half of the fun comes from the ridiculousness of that they're ponies doing ordinary human things, lol. Like how would flying, talking to animals, dragons/other ridiculous creatures, having Trollestia even work without ponies?
Well, I mean, going back to the list that Greywolf added in the OP for "why this show is good":
- A compact cast of easily identifiable, likeable characters, following certain archetypes but with surprisingly multi-layered personalities.
- A world with well-defined rules and mythology.
- Simple but well-written stories revolving around the theme of "friendship". This may seem somewhat limiting, but allows for relateable and realistic conflict between characters that can be resolved within the 22 minutes of each episode.
- Excellent voice acting for every. Single. Character.
- Extremely appealing character designs and surprisingly fluid and detailed flash animation, particularly for character expressions.
- Great comedy sense, with cartoon wackiness mixed in with surprising references to other shows and popular culture (nothing too obtrusive, don't worry).
- Morals that are transmitted in a way that doesn't feel like getting hit with a stick in the head, and that apply to adults as well as children.
- A lack of the cynicism that seems to infect most pop culture these days. This is a genuinely good-natured show, and a welcomed change of climate to those tired of the rudeness and nastiness that is pervasive in almost everything we see on TV.
All of which is possible with a different theme.
But as he also said right above this post, it may well have been every coincidence hitting at just the right time.

Neki

If it wasn't ponies, it'd probably be teenagers having teenage angst about friendship and love, and I'm not sure anyone would get behind that, especially an all girl cast of teenage girls, lol.

Snaku

Banned
duckroll said:

Sent to die. Nobody will randomly click this and discover a wonderful show in Comm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom