• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken PC Coming, Console Release Mar 6 [Like ME3/XCOM/Ghost Recon]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
alstein said:
I wouldn't call gems a comeback mechanic. That said, most likely it's a bad mechanic.
I don't think they're a bad mechanic per se, but it's not something that every fighting game fan is guaranteed to enjoy. But if there's no option to disable them online it would still be in their best interests to partake in the system to compete. This is why the buzz on the optional card system in UMvC3 is generally positive and why it is so negative on the gem system.

kunonabi

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Entry barrier. Could be a bad or good thing. I want to see how these "helper" gems play out in a real match. If they are too much, then ban them. Nobody used those easy beginner modes in tournys in early VS games and in Alpha 1.

The auto block in Alpha 1 was pretty close to broken and it got abused pretty often. It has been useless in every game since though which is why I don't think it will be a big deal here. It will be the rushdown gems that end up breaking the game if anything.

Bizazedo

SapientWolf said:
I don't think they're a bad mechanic per se, but it's not something that every fighting game fan is guaranteed to enjoy. But if there's no option to disable them online it would still be in their best interests to partake in the system to compete. This is why the buzz on the optional card system in UMvC3 is generally positive and why it is so negative on the gem system.
Honestly, I think gems in and of themselves are a neat idea....but I'm a sucker for games like Magic the Gathering and designing ones own deck.

The "real" problem is, if the rumors are true and Capcom wants it as $$ DLC, is they're trying it in what is in essence a PvP game.

And I can't think of any PvP game where $$ for advantages didn't backfire horribly (even the RUMOR of it) and damage the game.

I shall now play a sad song for Eve Online.

They haven't released the details on the gems, have they? I don't know how I'd feel if these sort of mechanics made their way to the main SF games.

KAL2006

Banned
Forget SFxT, I want to see SFvMK
nSkGB.jpg

If you want to see more SF/MK art bug this guy
http://nastyj.deviantart.com/

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Bizazedo said:
Honestly, I think gems in and of themselves are a neat idea....but I'm a sucker for games like Magic the Gathering and designing ones own deck.

The "real" problem is, if the rumors are true and Capcom wants it as $$ DLC, is they're trying it in what is in essence a PvP game.

And I can't think of any PvP game where $$ for advantages didn't backfire horribly (even the RUMOR of it) and damage the game.

I shall now play a sad song for Eve Online.
I think the long-term problem will be that there is simply too much for any player to reasonably learn. Five gems per character with varying effects and conditions for activation is a ton of permutations, particularly when coupled with a tag-team game.

DjangoReinhardt said:
I think the long-term problem will be that there is simply too much for any player to reasonably learn. Five gems per character with varying effects and conditions for activation is a ton of permutations, particularly when coupled with a tag-team game.
This game looks like it is packed for the long haul. I don't see a quick release in it's future as long as it stays so feature packed. If they do release another one quickly it is to fix some glaring issues with the game itself.

Also, Capcom probably expected big tournaments to handle the "learning" for most players. Shit, you can go online if you play Mahvel and all you see is Dante/Akuma/Wolverine/Sentinel/Magneto teams all day. Most people imitate what they see. They don't learn a damned thing outside of what they see on streams.

vulva

Masaki_ said:
My comment was based on something. If you wanna know what that something is, quote my post.

weird, just searched me 170MB logfile from #capcom and didn't see that quote anywhere

DjangoReinhardt said:

I really don't think of this as a problem. It's like saying we fighting games players have a mental cap that we can't go above in what information we can acquire, process, evaluate, and act on.

I mean, for me personally, I don't think it too much. It's just 5 Gem slots at a time, and a pool of maybe 150 after all said and done? I carry tons of useless information in my head, NBA/NFL scores/player going back 20 years, Simpsons quotes, Transformer names, math equations, capitols of each state.

I really don't think memorizing and applying the affects of even 200 Gems is too much. If anything, it will give the game extra life if there are no overpowered Gems. Things just will take time, that's all.

This appeals to me. But then again, stuff like MagicTG appeals to me. I like the thought of customization before the match.

Maybe the general fighting game player will think it's too much. We shall see when it comes out.

This is testing the waters at it's finest.

enzo_gt said:
Interesting.

Might wanna remove that if you find it so sensitive because any GAFer could read it/put it out there, but I really don't think it's damaging at all or super secretive because of the lack of hard proof.

These were my assumptions about the game anyways really. I've expressed my distaste for their "throw shit at the wall until it sticks" approach for SFxT. No refinement at all, and with the March release I hope they get their shit into gear soon to hone the mechanics a bit. There is a juicy amount of content and production value in this game, it just seems mismanaged.

If that quote is from seth i wouldn't be suprised.

after all this is the guy who wrote Domination 101 :- you can lead a scrub to water, but you cant make them think

But the man has a job to do, and like it or not, for the good of the genre of as a whole sometimes the hardcore need to take a back seat for the casuals to shine.

that said, I have noticed that seth has become visably more uncomfortable in his defence of some of capcoms business practices. But who knows what would happen if he wasn't around speaking for us?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh man that SFxMK art is fugly.

But I'd buy an SFxMK game with characters reimagined and designed by Capcom and in a Capcom-quality fighting system. ... basically the IP has and always had potential but hasn't been realized for a while.

Skilletor

enzo_gt said:
Oh man that SFxMK art is fugly.

But I'd buy an SFxMK game with characters reimagined and designed by Capcom and in a Capcom-quality fighting system. ... basically the IP has and always had potential but hasn't been realized for a while.

You had to go and do that, didn't you. :p

I'd rather MK go rot like Scorpion's corpse

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Asuka is one of the few Tekken designs that I really like, so this is good news for me. Its a good mix of cute, fashionable and appropriate for a fighting game.

Id be down for a Capcom redesigned SFxMK as well. Id be even more down with redesigning the MK characters myself, just for kicks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Always happy to see Asuka. She's 1 of my mains in T6 (alongside the "no possibility of showing up" Wang Jinrei), so I'm actually somewhat excited for a reveal of a character from this game for once! ;)

So... expecting to see her reveal at this London event at months end as well?

kiryogi

Banned
Asuka checkmarked finally! Now I just need to see Jin.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
SfxMK made by Capcom?? Sign me up!!

Add a skull system instead of gems, and we all win.

Why is Paul not announced yet, damn them.

Pretty sure Ono confirmed there will be no Paul, alongside with Dan.

Tizoc

How can you not recognize Asuka's boots?
I mean seriously-
http://shoryuken.com/index.php?p=4653
At anyrate, some have noted that Asuka may be a little beefier in order to showcase her DAT ASS that she got in TTT2.
...and when compared to a skinny pink haired teenager from a well known JRPG series, I'd say I'm fine with it =V

Radius

kiryogi said:

That was Anna who was deconfirmed tegether with Dan. Paul is in one of the teasers that appeared two weeks ago so his announcement shouldn't be too far away.

GrayFoxPL

Skilletor said:
I'd rather MK go rot like Scorpion's corpse

Why? Would that make you happy? Give a meaning to your life?

You don't like it - don't play it.

I don't understand people wishing franchises or even game companies to die. So dully ignorant.

Tizoc said:
How can you not recognize Asuka's boots?
I mean seriously-
http://shoryuken.com/index.php?p=4653

Huh, you don't see posts or pics or smth in this thread?

sephi22

MoxManiac said:
I admit to knowing next to nothing about tekken but isn't paul an iconic character?
He's the Ken of Tekken, both in terms of looks and popularity.
He was pretty popular in the earlier titles, but lately Namco's been treating him like a joke.

GrayFoxPL

MoxManiac said:
I admit to knowing next to nothing about tekken but isn't paul an iconic character?

He is, though Namco made him a retard.

I still hope for Paul and Lee in this.

Some character inclusions seem wierd. Raven, Marduk, even Lili and Bob taking place of way more renowned Tekken characters is an odd decision. :/

sephi22 said:
He's the Ken of Tekken, both in terms of looks and popularity.

Lolz God no. He's not even 1/10 as popular as Ken in SF.

Lili more so.

alstein

kunonabi said:
The auto block in Alpha 1 was pretty close to broken and it got abused pretty often. It has been useless in every game since though which is why I don't think it will be a big deal here. It will be the rushdown gems that end up breaking the game if anything.

When they did SF Alpha Anthology tournies- A1 with autoblock was preferred mode cause it countered V-combos.

kiryogi said:
Asuka checkmarked finally! Now I just need to see Jin.

No!!!! :( I didn't hear of that. Makes me sad. No Paul punching aliens or something/something. Damn them.

Wasn't the auto-block thing banned back in the day at arcade A1 tournies?

I've only heard of 1 Alpha anthology tourny, where I think Watts used A1 Ken with the auto-block thing on I think? Don't know if that was a joke tourny, or something serious.

Tizoc

That Cross Counter ep. was great. Agree with most of what they said, but IMHO:
If you can play matches WITHOUT Gems, then that's how Tournies will go: Play without Gems.

GrayFoxPL

Tizoc said:
That Cross Counter ep. was great. Agree with most of what they said, but IMHO:
If you can play matches WITHOUT Gems, then that's how Tournies will go: Play without Gems.

But the thing is you can't unless hackers hack the pc version.

Will capcom show real trailers for new characters today?

Top Bottom