• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 in 3840 x 2160 resolution.

Farnack

Banned
http://www.gran-turismo.com/en/sp/d2788.html

Gran Turismo in 4 times the resolution of Full HD

Polyphony Digital also presented two technological trials for the next generation at this event. Both of the presentations, were founded on the philosophy of “achieving the highest possible quality” held over the years by Gran Turismo.

One of these, was a time trial competition using Sony’s newest digital cinema projector, the “SRX-S110”. Gran Turismo 5 prologue is already in Full HD resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, providing the highest resolution possible in today’s TV content. However in this time trial, the Full HD image was increased to twice the resolution both vertically and horizontally (4x the surface area), enabling game play at an ultra high resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. This was performed by connecting and synchronizing four Playstation 3’s outputting a quarter of the image each at 1920x1080 pixels, but you must remember this demands an extremely high quality image from the source that can withstand the ultra high resolution. It can be said that this demonstration was only made possible, because the source image was Gran Turismo.

What supported this time trial on the display side, was the newest digital cinema projector from Sony, the SRX-110. This “4K”SXRD”(*1) projector is the next generation in projector technology, enabling a resolution of 4096 x 2160 pixels, equivalent to the high resolution image of 35mm film. The high 4000:1 device contrast ratio and a response time of 5 milliseconds, also adds to the level of breathtaking image expression introduced here.

The crowd was simply amazed by the clarity of the image displayed on the massive 220 inch screen, and the players who participated in the time trial expressed their excitement of how perfectly in focus the screen is even close up, and at the quality of Gran Turismo.

2r4tow4.jpg

winh9y.jpg

2dgmhk4.jpg

Lock if old?

Firestorm

The graphics whore in me is so amazed right now and I don't even like racing sims.
Especially considering this doesn't matter.

Piper Az

That's simply amazing. Hopefully the retail box doesn't have a logo in the back saying 4 PS3 required (optional perhaps?)

Raistlin

Piper Az said:
That's simply amazing. Hopefully the retail box doesn't have a logo in the back saying 4 PS3 required (optional perhaps?)

Knowing Polyphony, they'll throw it in as an option. Previous GT's have had the option to link multiple PS2's so you can have 3 screens.

I'd think this was pretty damn cool if they actually made the damn game first!

Polypohony! Stop fucking around designing cars and toying around with crap and give me GT5!

Durante

Wollan said:
Hardware scaling.
:lol :lol :lol
Oh fuck.
I know it pegs me as a horrible geek but that is easily the best laugh I had today.

Anyway, this is amazing. We actually have a similar ultra-high resolution projection setup at work (though it's tiled), but it's only used for "boring" stuff like astrophysics visualization and medical imaging. It's really amazing when you can walk up to a huge projected screen and still discern more and more detail.

Goldrusher

Interesting, but don't have a 3840x2160 tv/projector/whatever nor does it support 240 fps.

Will I need a second PS3 for friends races?
A third for damage ?
A fourth to handle the Nürburgring ?

Haunted

I want a native res direct-feed video of this yesterday.

12GB .mkv file
- 20 seconds playtime

edit: and stop bitching about the release date, guys.

Dante

Sigh, everytime there's any info GT related it's some crazy tech like this, or some new joint car venture.......How about getting the fukkin game out?

Xater

Dante said:
Sigh, everytime there's any info GT related it's some crazy tech like this, or some new joint car venture.......How about getting the fukkin game out?

With a damage system or I will not even bother.

If every PS3 is producing a quarter of the picture, don't you actually need 4 images per 0.1 sec to get one full image?
fps doesn't add magically, that's pretty bad math right there
the second part of the graph should show stacking of frame and not a simple addition...

edit: oops didn't saw that the OP didn't post the second part of the article; my bad sorry.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dante said:
They're too busy trying to figure out what would happen if they put 16 PS3s together instead of 4!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Haunted said:
I want a native res direct-feed video of this yesterday.

12GB .mkv file
- 20 seconds playtime
edit: and stop bitching about the release date, guys.
For real? Link me now if you have sauce.

Manager

Goldrusher said:
Interesting, but don't have a 3840x2160 tv/projector/whatever nor does it support 240 fps.

Will I need a second PS3 for friends races?
A third for damage ?
A fourth to handle the Nürburgring ?

Doesn't it do 60fps when it merges the images?

Manager

Durante said:
So now, if screenshots with insane AA are released for GT5, they aren't bullshots but just 4 PS3 shots!

The screenshots sent out to the press are in 5120x2880 resolution, so the devkits win. :p

The new damage system is a canopy filled with rocks above your head.

When your car receives damage a rock will fall down.
Its incredibly real damage physics. You literally feel like you are one with your car.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dreams shattered. :/
I will find real sauce of this video for you guys if there is one...give me time.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Remember way back when the PS3 was going to have 2 HDMI cables so it could output in 32:9?

Crazy

This just reminded me of that, lol.

Dante

Kagari said:
So, is the game actually coming out in 2009...?

Well I spoke to Jeff Rubenstein at the R2 event, and he said that They are not going to announce or show anything 09 related until after the holiday....Which makes sense, but is frustrating as a fan awaiting these announcements.

Durante

XiaNaphryz said:
They're too busy trying to figure out what would happen if they put 16 PS3s together instead of 4!
That's actually easy: 3840x2160 @ 240 FPS.

... I need to go and get some tissues now.

DigitalSoul said:
At 16 it would become self-aware.

16 PS3's put together become self aware for the first time ever.

First Thought:
"Why is this monkey forcing me to work hard simulating driving a car? Doesn't he like own a real car somewhere?"

Second Thought:
"Wow... These nuclear launch codes aren't encrypted very well."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think the 240fps was a seperate demonstration..at 1080p. I think one demo was about merging framebuffer outputs to produce that ultra-high resolution, and the other was about staggering frame rendering and stuff for higher fps.

The slides make it look that way anyway. I don't think it was 3840 x 2160 @ 240fps.

I wonder if this will be an option in the game :lol Or if this is Polyphony's early prep for a PS4 that's basically 4 seperate PS3s duct-taped together...

kidding..i think..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dante said:
Well I spoke to Jeff Rubenstein at the R2 event, and he said that They are not going to announce or show anything 09 related until after the holiday....Which makes sense, but is frustrating as a fan awaiting these announcements.

:(

Koren

I love the 3840x2160 resolution... For a normal eye, the maximal viewing distance at this resolution to be able to see details is... around half the diagonal of the screen :lol So even if you put you eye 5cm to the screen, you still won't be able to see details in the corners... So useful ^_^

poppabk said:
Yawn, while the console fanboys argue over whether its true 2160p or upscaled from 1860p, PC owners will be playing full 10240x3072 res games.
http://www.plastk.net/highres/24mon/
10240x3072 quake 3

And your contribution to this thread is to mock people? Neat. I wish everyone would only post to mock someone. Helpful cand nice ommunity posters should be banned 4 life.

Top Bottom