• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Well that would make me then extra pissy. Dropping a license and therefore the development of some really great games so they could push their boring-looking miniature game, true loss for them.
Don't take my words as truth it is just a hunch from listening to podcasts and pick up on stuffs that got slip when they talk about FFG and GW. It sort of make sense after acquisition by Asmodee that they want to reduced FFG licenses of another tabletop games and push their own stuffs.

First Martians arrived today. I set it up but it felt really difference from Robinson Crusoe.

zulux21

Thanks for the input. Those are a few details I wasn't even aware of. I'll develop it more and get feedback once I feel I have something tangible to prototype. I'm considering just making it an all digital game, but that has yet to be decided.

I played a long game of LotR LCG with a friend and it was a blast! So many times close to losing with huge turnarounds each time! Our decks are still lacking alot with a small number of filler cards, so I was surprised how well we got through it. I'll be picking up some adventure packs tomorrow I ordered to flesh out my trap deck better.

I saw Salt Lands recently and wanted to hear what people here think about it? I've been on an itch for more games I can solo play with good art & world building/atmosphere. I need to watch a playthrough of Mage Knight still since everyone here seems to unanimously like it.

my only thought about salt lands is...
man I really should unwrap that and look at it at some point.

as for my earlier thoughts I should note I have no experience as a designer (though I do fix a lot of my games :p), just look at a ton of kickstarters and back a decent number of them.

you have about 30 seconds to sell me on something. If you say it is similar to things I like you might get some more time, but if there isn't anything there to draw me to the game beyond that then I will just pass because I already own the thing I like so I should likely just play what I own already.

the number one thing that will get me to look deeper is something a bit different and interesting sounding.

aeon's end was from a publisher I really like so that one got more time anyways but for example the game the end is neigh got my attention because while I did have to root out traitors in the players, I could actually win by never figuring them out as i needed to figure out the bad people in the characters as well with lots of flexibility.

in actual execution it is just alright but it was still interesting enough for me to try.

as for some other things not mentioned.
if you do think about doing a physical version instead of digital it's becoming more of a trend for people to do a prototype in tabletop simulator and then allow people to play it like that. it requires just time and energy and not printing off stuff and is much easier to share with people. Heck the new gloomhaven spin off is one of those that allows you to try it out in tabletop simulator first.

also, just in general... good luck with ever kickstarting a digital board game. If you don't already have a physical version that is liked odds are it won't be happening through kickstarter. There are a ton of card games out there anymore, and unless you have something that really stands out it will be quickly forgotten. I only know of a single kickstarter original board game that got funded in any meaningful way
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leagueofgeeks/armello-bringing-tabletop-adventures-to-life

Don't take my words as truth it is just a hunch from listening to podcasts and pick up on stuffs that got slip when they talk about FFG and GW. It sort of make sense after acquisition by Asmodee that they want to reduced FFG licenses of another tabletop games and push their own stuffs.

First Martians arrived today. I set it up but it felt really difference from Robinson Crusoe.

crap........
that is shipping now?
I haven't even gotten through robinson yet.
and I need to work on arkham
and gloomhaven is going to come
and super dungeon explore campaign eventually...
and then pandemic season 2....
to many games to play with group on monday @_________@

Aaron

What's the best way to sell unwanted board games? I have a few my group didn't care for, and would also like to free up some shelf space.

If you can try and make a playable unautomated version of your game in tabel top simulator. That'll at least give people a way to try your game even if its just an early prototype.

in the end i went with descent 2nd ed + heirs of blood + trollfen + crow'smanor + nerkhall + labyrinth..
i'll buy wyrm lair and another thing or two next month..
next month (august) i'm also considering (as in, i'll buy)
1) wyrm lair + some other small content (lieutenants or small quests)
2) mage knight
then the choices!!!
3a) mage knight expansions
3b) gloomhaven (if i manage to get one with all addon//stretch goals included)
3c) mansions of madness + at least one espansions
4) citadels
5a) dead of winter
5b) pandemic legacy (i like the almost storytelling approach of the game)
whelp i got again into board gaming it seems, and I'm playing catch up for the last 15 years where i went starving

september instead will most likely be eldritch horror month... :X

XShagrath

What's the best way to sell unwanted board games? I have a few my group didn't care for, and would also like to free up some shelf space.
Math trades can be a good way to trade out something you're no longer feeling and getting something else out of it. Of course, it can be hit or miss, depending on what you have. I've been involved in ones where I traded four or five games, and then others where nothing has moved.

This is assuming you live in the US. There are ones in other countries, but I'm not sure the amount of traffic that they get.

Well you could also post here to see if anyone is interested in buying or trading lol. Bgg as well if you can find another local group of use their geek market.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
anyone know if there will be a third reprint of gloomhaven ks?
I'd love to get my hand on it plus all the addon//extension :|

I really doubt there will be a 3rd printing.

However, the pledge manager is still open and available to modify. I suspect one could add a 2nd copy of the game and extras, but shipping this beast isn't cheap.

Impulse bought resistance, resistance avalon, and bang the dice game. I need to drag groups kicking and screaming to my place to play all of these

Local groups or sell pages like craiglists or offerup. Frankly selling and shipping board games is a waste of time, too much competition from discounted retailers and then resellers already selling cheap used versions. Shipping board games is also just stupid expensive with how big and heavy many are now, so its best to stay local.

I've actually thrown away several games that were just crap and I could never get rid of, wastes of space.

You can also if you want just donate them to good will or anywhere they would take em.

Selling online and shipping is only worthwhile for most board games if it's something that has some value, especially OOP games.

Experien

You can also check other board game groups in the area if they want it or a library that has game events, basically donate.

Let's boo-boo!

Blizzard

Banned
anyone know if there will be a third reprint of gloomhaven ks?
I'd love to get my hand on it plus all the addon//extension :|
I don't know exactly what extras you are wanting, but Isaac believes the game will be "widely available" at retailers after the September release.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm digging the Founders of Gloomhaven art.

The overhead view reminds me of a videogame:
43f26a5812e2651613466fyrhh.jpg

And here's some new art from the update today (not sure if this is for the rulebook or what):
3713ec865615628e2a5902nqqw.png

I really doubt there will be a 3rd printing.

However, the pledge manager is still open and available to modify. I suspect one could add a 2nd copy of the game and extras, but shipping this beast isn't cheap.
Isn't it possible to send the second copy to a different location, or?
If any gaffer is inclined to help I'm in Europe (italy///Milan)
I've seen a few shops selling it, but for 145+shipping, whereas the is was 99+shipping :x

We just got into King of Tokyo and absolutely love it. Does anyone know if they're going to do a second edition of King of New York like they did with KoT? I'd hate to drop $70+ on the game only to have a new version drop right after.

We're going to get all the GIPF Project games throughout the rest of the year. Got TAMSK first since that one is the hardest to find.

Picked up a few new games, though haven't had a chance to play any yet:

Vast: the Crystal Caverns
The Chameleon
Lost Expedition

Waiting to play Lost Expedition solo till I can get it sleeved in the custom Dixit size it needs..
Might wait on Vast till the extra promos and new minis arrive.

EYEL1NER

Picked up a few new games, though haven't had a chance to play any yet:

Vast: the Crystal Caverns
The Chameleon
Lost Expedition

Waiting to play Lost Expedition solo till I can get it sleeved in the custom Dixit size it needs..
Might wait on Vast till the extra promos and new minis arrive.
Ha, I just went to Target today to get a copy of The Chameleon, so I've got a copy of that now too. I read on Reddit where it was described as "Spyfall meets Codenames" and the rule set was by Rikki Tahta, so I watched a video of it. It looked like a good amount of fun, but I realized I had to act quick if I wanted a copy. It just came out but is exclusive to Target in the US (not sure where you are located). All that Targets within a several hour drive show less than 5 copies in stock, so I figure if it takes off like Codenames does, it might be hard to get once sold out.

I also grabbed Sheriff of Nottingham on clearance for $17 and Dixit for $14. I know some people in my game group have played Sheriff of Nottingham a few times recently and liked it, so it should be easy to try that out. I wanna take The Chameleon with me on Tuesday night too, but I also just started reading the rules for my copy of Pandemic Iberia and think the changes in that sound like a good time.

Yes, I read the BGG newsletter email where they introduced it, and it sounded like a pretty solid social deduction game, which I've had fun with in the past.

I checked Target's website, and they only had 4 at the store, which is 40 minutes from me, so I ordered for store pick up and grabbed it the following day. The other copies were gone by that next day.

Looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to play it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Isn't it possible to send the second copy to a different location, or?
If any gaffer is inclined to help I'm in Europe (italy///Milan)
I've seen a few shops selling it, but for 145+shipping, whereas the is was 99+shipping :x

Only one shipping address per order. I'll be in Italy in September/October! But traveling with that game would be hilarious and such a bad idea haha.

That said, I can look at shipping cost to see if it's worth it to add you into my KS.

Also scored a copy of Nations for $17.50 at the local Half Price Books. I've never gotten a good deal here, but this seemed insane.

Blizzard

Banned
I was sort of intrigued by Chameleon since Codenames is always a hit, but that sounds like it would suffer from the same problem(s) as Spyfall, namely it being very difficult for the spy to say anything even slightly believable unless they have gotten a good feel for what sort of words are in the game. And even if they do, it might then become super obvious when one player picks a safe-ish word. Spyfall was pretty much always co-op for us since we basically had to all work together and try to help the spy finally win.

If a group is bad at abstract creativity / improv, Spyfall is especially rough.

Also unrelated to Spyfall, Chameleon looks kind of ugly and minimal, and I can imagine having to explain the number index system on the cards. My board game group is mixed engineers and non-engineers so there would probably also be 0-based vs. non-0-based index comments every play.

I was surprised at big turn out at our small coffee shop Meet Up yesterday since it was a nice day, so we split into three groups. I got into a game of five players Kemet. It was very cutthroat game but the end was a bit skew since a guy had to leave to go pick up his kids. One thing that really make me not fond of this type of game is the king maker aspect and general hurt feeling people get after the game. After Kemet we broke out a new copy of BarenPark (Bear Park) and learn it. We only play basic game and I was surprise how much I enjoy it. It's a Tetris shape tile laying game with light drafting. It was a lot of fun and scratch the Feast of Odin itch without a long game set up and play time. I brought out Century Spice Road and we played a 5-player game. I actually don't really think it is better than Splendor as people seem to think but it is a decent game. I really enjoyed it at high player count.

Today we are going to host a game of Trickerion and may be follow it with Anachrony.

Only one shipping address per order. I'll be in Italy in September/October! But traveling with that game would be hilarious and such a bad idea haha.

That said, I can look at shipping cost to see if it's worth it to add you into my KS.

Also scored a copy of Nations for $17.50 at the local Half Price Books. I've never gotten a good deal here, but this seemed insane.

hey nicoga, appreciate the availability, but if that's this much of an hassle, i can shell the extra 50 quid :)
that being said, given the offer you're one hell of a gaffer!
when you bump by milan, give me a pm and if i'm in Italy (I spend close to 1 week per month abroad nowdays) I owe you a beer )

that being said..
what are the best kickstarter for board game floating around?
given I'm shelling money now, I might as well try to pay less for more via established kickstarter :)
advice?
i'm eyeing gloomhaven founders

Woah, that's weird. I know that kid. And I've played that copy of KDM. Didn't expect that on NeoGAF.
don't make me think..
i was SOOO late to the party.. else i would have pledged into it hard..
unfortunately i resumed my tabletop hobby just a few months (3-4) ago after a 10+ years hiatus without buying...
the pain when i see i game i want ;_;

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
hey nicoga, appreciate the availability, but if that's this much of an hassle, i can shell the extra 50 quid :)
that being said, given the offer you're one hell of a gaffer!
when you bump by milan, give me a pm and if i'm in Italy (I spend close to 1 week per month abroad nowdays) I owe you a beer )

that being said..
what are the best kickstarter for board game floating around?
given I'm shelling money now, I might as well try to pay less for more via established kickstarter :)
advice?
i'm eyeing gloomhaven founders

Let me get a quote for shipping to Milan. If it's not terrible, we can make this work!

So I got an email saying that if I don't pick up my order, (which I had already done), they would cancel the pickup and the charge.

Then I got an email saying they did do those things. So I wasn't charged for my game from Target. Woohoo!

Eh, I deserve that for them compromising my debit card a few years ago.

Fou-Lu

I lose against my GF in Hive every time. Makes it her fave abstract strategy game. It's amusing because any other abstract strategy game we play I dominate, but I just can't wrap my head around Hive. Tips?

Neverfade

don't make me think..
i was SOOO late to the party.. else i would have pledged into it hard..
unfortunately i resumed my tabletop hobby just a few months (3-4) ago after a 10+ years hiatus without buying...
the pain when i see i game i want ;_;

If it's any consolation I absolutely hate the game!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fleet is an absurdly nice 6 player building strategy game.Tactical, involving & quick paced. You need the expansion if you want to play it with more than 4 people though.

I was initially pretty apprehensive about app integration in my board games, and still have a tinge of concern, but I love Robinson Crusoe enough that think I need to jump on First Martians. Of course, I left it too late to pre-order through my preferred Canadian online store. I'm gonna need to keep a close eye for when it's available.

Watch It Played just put up their How to Play video https://youtu.be/A7AdJIjsF04

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Semirelated, but I wrote up my more.. personal impressions of how I started playing the ancient game of Go. I have a rather sizeable boardgame collection, through which I eventually stumbled upon the game, and I am sure many people here could find a very interesting hobby with that game as well. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243752028&postcount=77

Such a cool game, but SO hard to get started with. Lots of rules and strategies that make it incredibly scary to newbies like myself!

Toma

Such a cool game, but SO hard to get started with. Lots of rules and strategies that make it incredibly scary to newbies like myself!

I thought so as well, but its actually super accommodating, because there are plenty of players on all skill levels. I sometimes watch players from the lowest skill level duke it out on online-go.com and they really dont know any of these basics. I could basically give you a rundown of basics to beat all these players within 5 minutes.

You really dont need to be afraid of that, but I think you are right, it seems so impenetrable that many players are afraid of trying. Its one of its greatest strengths, that you can always find someone on the level you are at and there is ALWAYS some part of the game to look into to improve your own style. Just so damn rewarding. I really think that most of the "classic" games have contemporaries that outshine them, even stuff like chess compared to strategy movement games, but Go really is a unique experience everyone should seriously try at least once.

Taborcarn

Tempted to late pledge thunderstone quest at $100. Game looks really freaking cool and the reviews seem very positive of the alpha.

It's one of the few Kickstarters I've backed so far. It just annoys me the number of people berating this game because it's not compatible with Advance. If they wanted it to be, they'd be releasing another expansion instead of an entire new game.

It's one of the few Kickstarters I've backed so far. It just annoys me the number of people berating this game because it's not compatible with Advance. If they wanted it to be, they'd be releasing another expansion instead of an entire new game.

I can get being annoyed if you've invested a lot of time and money into the original games to see it basically no longer support.

I can get being annoyed if you've invested a lot of time and money into the original games to see it basically no longer support.
I don't get the mentality that company need to support their products forever. I understand reasonable expectations but to want companies to infinitely backward support I think ended up hinder the games.

Izayoi

Banned
Am I reading right that the reason it's impossible to find Arkham Horror Card Game at MSRP is because it's out of print? Isn't it relatively new (and popular)? That's kind of frustrating, if true. It's going to be astronomically expensive to get started with four players...

Congrats. Scythe is a ton of fun. There's a lot to it at first glance, but it moves quickly, and with a bit of care of making sure you tell neighbours what you're doing, it's relatively straightforward. Definite a fav. How'd it play 2 players?
Actually pretty well. I'm not sure that it's super balanced for two players (I picked Blue, my Wife picked Black - and I won by a landslide - she normally kicks my ass at first plays, and in general really).

I'm certain that it would play better with more players, our normal group is four strong. Waiting for the right time to spring it on them, I think I want to get a few more plays in before I do.

Any good resources for fledgling game masters? Our group is very new and we are just getting a feel for the hobby - we started on Catan and recently have been growing bored of it so we're starting to branch out.

Cheeky bastard!

zulux21

Am I reading right that the reason it's impossible to find Arkham Horror Card Game at MSRP is because it's out of print? Isn't it relatively new (and popular)? That's kind of frustrating, if true. It's going to be astronomically expensive to get started with four players...

there is zero chance it is out of print.
someone likely meant to say out of stock instead.

the game is hot.
hot games sell out.
you have to wait for the next shipment.

EYEL1NER

Kingdomino won the Spiel des Jahres and EXIT: The Game - The Abandoned Cabin won the Kennerspiel it looks like. I'm gonna order a copy of Kindomino before going to sleep I imagine. I'm not getting it because it won the SdJ, but it winning SdJ made me finally look at what the game is and it looks like something my family would like a lot (or at least be a hit at game night as a solid beginning- or end-of-night casual game).

For me it's that side to side, I don't think Quest is a better game than Advanced. Having played Advanced for years and having seen demos of Quest, it seems longer, more complex, and more fiddly. I really don't see how a scenario book adds anything to the game (especially not with a $100 price tag). Thunderstone is a great, basic Dominion clone and Advanced fixed pretty much all of the problems of an already great game. In my opinion Advanced doesn't have any major problems to fix and what Quest adds isn't different enough for me to consider replacing Advanced in my collection.

I can see where the anger comes from because people wanted more Thunderstone Advance expansions. They just stopped making them and TA didn't need to be replaced. I can totally understand why fans of TA would want more material for that game.

Taborcarn

I can see where the anger comes from because people wanted more Thunderstone Advance expansions. They just stopped making them and TA didn't need to be replaced. I can totally understand why fans of TA would want more material for that game.

I can get being annoyed because they want more content for their existing game they've invested a lot in. But what I meant was the bad-mouthing the company in their KS comments, screaming that they've made a huge mistake and that they will boycott their future products.

AEG isn't taking their existing T:A away from them, they can still play and enjoy it while not trying to spoil things for people getting in now. All because their expectations don't match what's happening in reality.

andor.. yay or nay?
I'm budgetng for the months to come and planning what to get for the upcoming month(s) :)

can it be solo-ed? (big question)
if not, if the game is very good, i'll still buy it, it's just that it force me to ask my gf to play or to "forcefully" rope my friends into playing :)

I can get being annoyed because they want more content for their existing game they've invested a lot in. But what I meant was the bad-mouthing the company in their KS comments, screaming that they've made a huge mistake and that they will boycott their future products.

AEG isn't taking their existing T:A away from them, they can still play and enjoy it while not trying to spoil things for people getting in now. All because their expectations don't match what's happening in reality.
If you treat Kickstarter as a forum for whether or not a product should be funded and made and not as a glorified preorder system, then it is entirely appropriate, imo. Basically AEG wants their fans to fund the game and a not insignificant portion of that fanbase is telling them to shove it. AEG has no business being on Kickstarter frankly.

Top Bottom