• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'll post some translation:

- Prince feels Amano-inspired. Looks like a celluloid/animated character (a bit like SFIV). The style itself is still in progress.
- Corrupted world needs to be healed.
- Story is much more "1001 Nights"-like, more fantasy, less grounded in reality but instead more magical yet still credible, more poetic.
- Player must unleash light-wells to heal the corrupted world, which shoots light into the sky, reminiscent of SotC and Okami.
- The transformation of the world is in real-time, with plants growing back to life as the world heals back and as the player can still move, instead of a mere cutscene, sky changes back to its normal color, etc., to give a strong sense of control and success to the player.
- No more time rewind and such.
- They are no making a second Assassin's Creed, they are making a new PoP.
- Art style was difficult pass through the management, but they never refused it, and eventually loved it.
- Story specifically: Orhmaz and Arhiman, twin gods, one good one evil, celestial battle, Orhmaz locks Arhiman away in a box which he hides into an faraway oasis deep within a desert. Centuries pass, and comes a troublesome thief (the prince) and Arhiman is freed somehow (not deep explanation given). Prince must undo his mistake. This is what they refer to as a more "1001 Nights" kind of story, like a fable.
- More open/organic environments. Has a Zelda-esque feel, old-school in themes.
- Bosses/player use backgrounds during fights (one shot shows an enemy pushing the prince against a wall as if trying to choke him, or another throwing him in the air).
- Game went through a few iterations; originally too open (felt big but not enough to do), at one point it was more like Assassin as far as open world (going where you want), but players would get lost and wander aimlessly and dynamism suffered as a result. Now instead it is more focussed with a clear road, but multiple paths can be taken (free to move from one map to another, back and forth, etc., more open than previous PoPs).
- The demo map shown to the journalist, old of a few months, has been scrapped design-wise because it was too Assassin-like, now it's more fantasy design-wise.
- Game world is made of nodes connected by paths, and you can go from one node to another as you wish (this is what they mean by less open, but non-linear; you can see the paths, but you don't have to going from A to B to C). The game adapts as a result (enemies from later visited locations might be more difficult, etc., for example zone A might be more difficult if you access it at the end, but if you accessed it at the beginning then it is easier, even bosses, depending on what order you fight them, adapt as such).
- Prince can slide along any walls using his glove. Game is as much vertical as horizontal.
- Prince has more possibilities of movement.
- Bosses inspired by MGS' boss quality; they are fewer but they have a story, a reason to be, they leave more of an impression on the player. Some are former nobles, sometimes acting against their will.
- They wondered if they should make just more enemies and try to do a God of War game and try to beat it on its own ground, or go for something different. They went with fewer enemies instead and a new combat style. Combats are duels. You can see the expression on the faces of the characters/bosses. Movement/action in fights is more like Advent Children, more cinematic in presentation.
- 140 people working on it, more to come, people from many projects.

That is all from me! I hope you guys will love the game!

EDarkness

ethelred said:
I'm at a loss as to who else I'd blame.

Well, I don't really see a problem with people getting upset. They should, really. There's a lot of frustration with companies like Ubisoft and then this idea that Wii owners don't want or play "traditional" games. Announcements like this don't help that situation.

They lied. It's been obvious that they've been lying for two years. Anyone claiming to be surprised by this has been deluding themselves. They don't need to justify that they've lied (guess what? that's what companies do! they all do it!) and they don't need to justify the lack of content for gamers on the Wii. And a thread announcing a new real Prince of Persia game is certainly not the place to vent your frustrations on this by way of pages and pages of bitching that not every game is going to be on the Wii.

I agree, but where else can they vent? If they make a thread just to vent, people will say they shouldn't do that either. Heh, heh.

ethelred

EDarkness said:
Well, I don't really see a problem with people getting upset. They should, really. There's a lot of frustration with companies like Ubisoft and then this idea that Wii owners don't want or play "traditional" games.

Rephrase it as: "Well, I don't really see a problem with people getting upset. They should, really. There's a lot of frustration with companies like Namco/Sega/Capcom and then this idea that gamers are okay with "traditional" games" like Fragile/Tales/NiGHTS/MH3 being put on an inferior console."

Is that okay? Because last I checked, Wii owners tend to get ticked when every time there's a moderately interesting announcement, the floodgates open with people saying "gosh, this would just be so much better on a different platform. What a waste..."

bridegur

More open/organic environments. Has a Zelda-esque feel, old-school in themes.

Awesome. It reminds me a bit of what people were asking for with a more mature cel-shaded Zelda. I imagine the animation is going to be excellent.

FoneBone

grandjedi6 said:
That leaked art from way way back turned out to be true. Like we all knew it would
what? I mean, for all we knew, they could've changed the art direction since then, but there was never any question that all that was legit.

anyway, is there any word on Mechner's involvement? sounds like they've (thankfully) taken a lighter, SoT-like approach this time, and I love the art.

Looks like a cross between Naruto, Metroid Prime, and Twilight Princess (heavy on the TP side).

It will be interesting to see what they can do with the engine in more constrained environments.

Skilletor

EDarkness said:
I agree, but where else can they vent? If they make a thread just to vent, people will say they shouldn't do that either. Heh, heh.

They should buy the consoles the games are on if they're so interested in the games.
This goes for everybody, not just Wii owners.

I want to see it :(

Danielsan

Only found one picture. The way the cellshading is done reminds me of Okami. I'm not entirely sure if it fits the game (need to see it running first) but I'm atleast very happy with the direction they want to take it in and the fact that they are sticking with that awsome prince design.

ok thanks to a very helpful person I have now seen all the screens. Damn this game looks great. Sign me up.

Finally, saw them. Honestly, I can't say I'm impressed based on the scans, the cell shading doesn't really add or subtract anything, IMO. It's not particularly stand out, and it certainly doesn't even remotely remind me of Amano's work. Still, if the game delivers what they say it will (according to ether's translation), then I'm very much interested to see what they do. I very much like that the levels will be very vertical, too. I wish they had tried to emulate a painted look to better match the concept art we saw, rather than a cell shaded look, but getting it too look like a painting is pretty complex, so I understand.

EDarkness

ethelred said:
Rephrase it as: "Well, I don't really see a problem with people getting upset. They should, really. There's a lot of frustration with companies like Namco/Sega/Capcom and then this idea that gamers are okay with "traditional" games" like Fragile/Tales/NiGHTS/MH3 being put on an inferior console."

Is that okay? Because last I checked, Wii owners tend to get ticked when every time there's a moderately interesting announcement, the floodgates open with people saying "gosh, this would just be so much better on a different platform. What a waste..."

I suppose it depends on your point of view...but the biggest issue "reasonable" Wii owners have is that there aren't many top tier games being developed for the system outside of Nintendo's games. That's a reasonable complaint and one that we keep hearing over and over again. There are people who think the Wii shouldn't get those games and there are those who think it should. Of course, you're going to get those people who want X game on their system (be it 360/PS3/PS2/Wii/DS/PSP, etc.). It's just the nature of the business.

Since Prince of Persia is normally a multi-platform game, I don't see anything wrong with fans wanting a Wii version.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:

I now have a totally different view of you ethelred..

You are a god of NeoGAF and I will never ever purposely get on the wrong side of you.

edit: you're not saying that though..but you are rephrasing it..now im confused..but nice rephrasing.

Back ontopic..

This will be the second PoP game I play. The first being the classic game..on mobile.

I hope it isn't too much like AC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Holy shit that looks fantastic.

(To the Wii fans, once you see the pics, you'll understand why this isn't on Wii.)

Cdammen

The style is really fantastic. The lightning and the use of colors make it really stick out. And I love the use of noise in the after effects, looks like it was painted on old parchment.

Thanks for the translations Ether_Snake :)

Lobster

Banned
omg rite said:
Holy shit that looks fantastic.

(To the Wii fans, once you see the pics, you'll understand why this isn't on Wii.)

Umm what? :lol

Not to shoot you down or anything..

but what we see in 360/Ps3 pics is never ever going to be what we see in Wii pics.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lobster said:
Umm what? :lol

Not to shoot you down or anything..

but what we see in 360/Ps3 pics is never ever going to be what we see in Wii pics.

Do you have a lack of reading skills or something?

batbeg

omg rite said:

Do you have a lack of reading skills or something?

The point is this game looking good is not evidence for why it could not be seen on the Wii, as all Wii/PS3/360 titles would obviously look like shit (relatively) on the Wii. It's like looking at that PS3 Ferrari game and saying "This is why it can't be on Wii"... even though it's coming to Wii. Or hell, Sonic Unleashed.

Mau ®

Interesting graphic-style choice. Pretty unexpected really. Looks nice.

Oh and the girl is the spitting image of Natalie Portman.

Mau ®

I really dont see how this could not be done on Wii, obviously scaled back. Is not like AC where theres this huge open city and lots of people.

So I guess now it'll be like this:

2008: POP games
2009: AC game
2010: POP game
2011: AC game

Sadist

I thinks its for the best just to not ask Ubi about Wii games. Just don't.

Man, now I have to get a PS3. Dang it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lobster said:
No but you obviously lack the knowledge of Wii.

... Seriously?

You should probably re-read what you originally quoted from me, then re-read your reply.

Cause ya kinda sound like an ass. :p

nightside

IIRC surfergirl said that a PoP wii was coming too:lol

btw..considering that the best ubi games on wii thus far are: a game not made by them (and just for NA market..in europe is a risingstar/atari game :lol), 2 minigames collection and...well...redsteel...I'm not so sure i want to see another shovelware on wii, even if it's called "prince of persia".

it's clear that ubisoft plans to focus on casual games on wii (except for redsteel2).that's it and i can live with it....

Top Bottom