• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
How about Microsoft buying THQ? It would be really cheap for them and would give them some really good studios and IPs, would be good for their 1st party army.

I hope not. I don't want to see a platform holder buy all the IP and make it console exclusive. I'd rather a publisher like WB acquires it and brings it to the masses.

Erethian

I actually agree with some of the people saying Nintendo should buy the Saint's Row IP, it could help them just in case if Nintendo can't get GTA on the Wii U.

The only thing I could see Nintendo ever doing regarding THQ is absorbing Vigil into Retro as a second team, because of the proximity of those two studios. And because Retro has already hired a number of ex-Vigil devs.

DTKT

What's the most likely scenario for Relic and the COH IP?

Valve could buy them? That seems highly unlikely since COH doesn't fit in their usual games and it's not a really big franchise to start with. It would be awesome, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. Sega? They have the Total War series so a pure real-time game might fit?

It seems like the future is rather bleak for Relic. :(

Derrick01

Banned
How about Microsoft buying THQ? It would be really cheap for them and would give them some really good studios and IPs, would be good for their 1st party army.

I'd rather not see all of THQ studios stuck making off-year Halo cash ins or Kinect shit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's the most likely scenario for Relic and the COH IP?

Valve could buy them? That seems highly unlikely since COH doesn't fit in their usual games and it's not a really big franchise to start with. It would be awesome, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. Sega? They have the Total War series so a pure real-time game might fit?

It seems like the future is rather bleak for Relic. :(

From someone with a track record of legitimacy, they said the primary (and only) interested candidate at the time was EA.

I'm not sure if that's still true today.

Lingitiz

MS is horrible with acquiring big studios, and I think they know it too. Or at least I hope they know it's a dumb idea to buy a name and set of brands only to see the people who made it leave.

duckroll

EA could be a good fit for CoH if they can make it sell. Slap the Medal of Honor brand name on it and suddenly there are better MoH games than the last two released. :p

Scum

EA could be a good fit for CoH if they can make it sell. Slap the Medal of Honor brand name on it and suddenly there are better MoH games than the last two released. :p

That seems like a far too sensible thing for EA to do.

IpKaiFung

Turn an FPS brand into an RTS brand? Don't really think that will work out that well :(

DTKT

Probably gonna go back to WWII and use the COH names. Company of Heroes sounds like a good name for a FPS.

Karak

Yeah, at 60 million or whatever, I think this would be a good investment for MS. After all, they already have an apparent good relationship with South Park Studios (but, also apparent, not as good with Obsidian). Saints Row and Darksiders could be good for them, and Company of Heroes could help on the PC front. I don't know...for the price and as much as Microsoft Studios made off of Halo 4 in the last two months, it might be worth it.

But I'll be happy with whichever company saves them.

Additionally they had Saints as a exclusive on the 360 didn't they? The first one? It would be a cool move.
I don't really see disbanding everyone and everyone loosing their jobs as BETTER than MS buying them. But the hate is strong in here. As for the others who might buy them. Lets hope. They have some good IP's. Currently I don't think MS would be a bad fit compared to even some of the others being mentioned.

Pooya

A company like EA would just ruin it. I think.

EA (and Activision) just don't invest in open world genre at all and shutdown whatever they had, don't think those would be actively shopping for it now, they don't find the genre competitive with the likes of Rockstar and the investment it might need.

Other publisher might be more into it like WB.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA (and Activision) just don't invest in open world genre at all and shutdown whatever they had, don't think those would be actively shopping for it now, they don't find the genre competitive with the likes of Rockstar and the investment it might need.

I'm not sure if EA is wholly disinterested in it or just feels they currently lack the staff to actually make a successful game in the genre.

Activision was definitely interested in it (Prototype, True Crime: Hong Kong), but felt neither of their bets panned out for similar reasons.

Both publishers took an interest in Take-Two (EA going so far as to attempt a hostile takeover), but yeah, in the end neither of them are making a traditional open world game right now.

Messi

WB does not seem to be a bad fit, I suppose. I am more worried about whoever buys the franchise gutting it and not understanding what makes it fun.

Edit: wasn't the plan to launch Saints 4 in late 2013? Or am I wrong?

Slayven

I think there is a difference from building an open world franchise from the ground up and buying GTA's closest competitor.

Messi

I think there is a difference from building an open world franchise from the ground up and buying GTA's closest competitor.

But GTA hammers Saints Row. In mindshare and sales.

I thought they were planning Late spring 2013?

That was the DLC , 'Enter the Dominatrix' they cancelled and rolled into 4. Along with the Saints 4 announcement. They were trying to put out many fires :)

Squire

Banned
Guessing the 5 potential buyers.
Warner Bros
Ubisoft
EA
Activision
Microsoft

If it's not going to be massively successful, Activision's not interested. MS is busy with their own initiatives. THQ doesn't have anything someone in their position needs to fight for.

Pooya

I'm not sure if EA is wholly disinterested in it or just feels they currently lack the staff to actually make a successful game in the genre.

Activision was definitely interested in it (Prototype, True Crime: Hong Kong), but felt neither of their bets panned out for similar reasons.

Both publishers took an interest in Take-Two (EA going so far as to attempt a hostile takeover), but yeah, in the end neither of them are making a traditional open world game right now.

yeah, that's what I meant, they tried but after failing to meet expectations they ended everything, Activision said as much when they canned True Crime as well. I just don't think they want to invest in another mid tier open world game again. Saints Row doesn't even sell the 5m minimum they are most likely looking at going into next generation.

I think them being interested in Take-Two is more telling that it's not feasible to compete in the same genre like you can in FPS for example. It takes a long time to make, with a lot of money and the return isn't assured at all. Only Ubisoft is currently successful and that was with a completely different take on the genre and at the same time aggressively annualizing it with high number of staff and cheap work force they have in studios around the world. The others can't afford doing that right now.

Reallink

ATVI, EA, MS, and Ubi would definitely destroy whatever properties/teams they bought. I'd rather see TTWO or any JP company (not Capcom) pick up Vigil/Volition and Darksiders/SR.

Squire

Banned
ATVI, EA, MS, and Ubi would definitely destroy whatever properties/teams they bought. I'd rather see TTWO or any JP company (not Capcom) pick up Vigil/Volition and Darksiders/SR.

Please. Capcom might be the worst, but not by a wide margin. Most JP publishers barely know what to do with the studios they already own.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tomb Raider says hello.

Edit: Codename 47 wanted to say hi as well.

If Tomb Raider is "utter shit" then it was utter shit long before it came under Square's umbrella. If you're going to wield the sword of hyperbole try not to cut your own leg off.

The new hitman game is fine.

People on this site complain about reviewers who don't use every number on the 1 to 10 scale while quite a few people around here themselves only use 1 and 10.

ugoo18

Should Nintendo step in?

Part of me wants to see this happen just for the internet backlash.

If Bayonetta 2 was anything to go by then some of those THQ IP's being Nintendo only will create some fun reactions.

The Metro IP is from 4A Games right, does THQ own it or only publish it?

If they own it then i definitely want to see the reaction that would cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom