• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

I use throw to stagger guardians so I can headshot them. I don't bother with carrying the widow to shoot through their shield because it is too heavy so throw makes it a lot easier to kill them.

Too bad I didn't choose stasis bubble and there is not way to reset it right? :(

You can reset it in the full game, but yeah, for now you're shit out of luck.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I've played ME2 and ME3's MP demo as an Infiltrator. I just love that cloaking ability that will net me extra damage and way useful for escapes.

In saying that, what's the next class I can use? I'm thinking Adept but I'm wary that classes that rely too much on powers might get cornered when it's cooling down and it would be very counter-productive if I lug along two guns, right?

So, Gaf, tell me what class is best to try next? I didn't like the Soldier class - a bit too ho-hum.

Also, one annoying complaint, if you get disconnected, credits should be saved. Heck, even XP! It's not my damn fault I got DCed! Happened to me a few times where I was in wave 9 and the game DCed me from EA servers. No money, no XP, no nothing.

rozay

Banned
I've played ME2 and ME3's MP demo as an Infiltrator. I just love that cloaking ability that will net me extra damage and way useful for escapes.

In saying that, what's the next class I can use? I'm thinking Adept but I'm wary that classes that rely too much on powers might get cornered when it's cooling down and it would be very counter-productive if I lug along two guns, right?

So, Gaf, tell me what class is best to try next? I didn't like the Soldier class - a bit too ho-hum.

Also, one annoying complaint, if you get disconnected, credits should be saved. Heck, even XP! It's not my damn fault I got DCed! Happened to me a few times where I was in wave 9 and the game DCed me from EA servers. No money, no XP, no nothing.
I'd say adept or vanguard. Charge+nova is a great way to rule the field as well as get out of sticky situations, none of the other classes really have any absolute life saver talents like charge or cloak (aside from the asari adept who can stop anything with stasis)

Balphon

That's definitely a concern, but if you carry only a pistol around cooldowns will be short enough that you should be fine. Of course, you can't really configure your loadout in the SP demo, but you can give it a try in MP.

Sober

That's definitely a concern, but if you carry only a pistol around cooldowns will be short enough that you should be fine. Of course, you can't really configure your loadout in the SP demo, but you can give it a try in MP.
I've been running around with the pistol and SMG and cooldowns are still pretty quick. And I haven't even been trying for all the -cooldown skills or -weight ones either.

krakov

Is there any way to avoid the Atlas/Phantom one hit kills? They are really annoying and should at worst down you imho. Using a medkit only to get instantly killed before you even get control of your character is not fun. Charing right into instant death isn't either.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'd say adept or vanguard. Charge+nova is a great way to rule the field as well as get out of sticky situations, none of the other classes really have any absolute life saver talents like charge or cloak (aside from the asari adept who can stop anything with stasis)

Yeah, I was thinking as an adept or vanguard, too. That charge thing can't be used to quickly move out of harm's way?

Won't carrying just a pistol make me feel...naked? :) I mean, what will I do with Atlas Mechs and Armored enemies? Can my powers do enough damage and it's coolddown be quick enough that I can take them out with needing to run like a bitch from Guardians, etc?

Balphon

I've been running around with the pistol and SMG and cooldowns are still pretty quick. And I haven't even been trying for all the -cooldown skills or -weight ones either.

I tried that for awhile but I found myself not using the SMG at all so I just dropped it. Though you're right, in most cases the added recharge time is minimal or nonexistent.

Won't carrying just a pistol make me feel...naked? :) I mean, what will I do with Atlas Mechs and Armored enemies? Can my powers do enough damage and it's coolddown be quick enough that I can take them out with needing to run like a bitch from Guardians, etc?

For an Atlas you'd just warp it, cast something to detonate the warp effect (i.e. throw), and repeat. For a Guardian, stasis bubble obviously makes it drop its shield, but failing that powers like shockwave and throw will knock it back long enough to give you a few clear shots. Depends on what abilities you have access to, really, but with a 1-3 second cooldown on everything you'll be fine.

rozay

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking as an adept or vanguard, too. That charge thing can't be used to quickly move out of harm's way?

As an example, if you're trapped by turrets/guardians/just a lot of enemies where you're sitting, you can target someone towards the rear end of the group, charge at that enemy, then run away since you've just bypassed the entire mob.

Your cooldown times will be 2-3 seconds between charges with 1 weapon, and nova doesn't require cooldowns, so it's best to just start with a pistol and/or a shotgun. Atlas mechs can literally be nova'd and charged to death, otherwise shotgun from afar. Charge into a guardian and 1 headshot with a shotgun should kill them instantly. Shockwave is useful but I regret putting a point into it because you can max the other 4 skills if you don't, although I've noticed that enemies sometimes get glitched and you can't bring their shields/health down by shooting them, so shockwave was the only way to actually attack it.

Trey

although I've noticed that enemies sometimes get glitched and you can't bring their shields/health down by shooting them, so shockwave was the only way to actually attack it.

A nemesis got glitched into a fucking box and I had to shoot like four shockwaves at it to get it unstuck.

Zabka

This was a huge surprise for me. I expected nothing from the ME3 multiplayer and now I'm totally addicted. Just got level 20 with my Drell Vanguard.

Finally got some damage attachments for my shotgun and pistol. With the shotgun choke I can actually do serious damage from a distance with it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This was a huge surprise for me. I expected nothing from the ME3 multiplayer and now I'm totally addicted. Just got level 20 with my Drell Vanguard.

Finally got some damage attachments for my shotgun and pistol. With the shotgun choke I can actually do serious damage from a distance with it.

I just hit 20 with drell vanguard too, even using the least accurate shotgun I still used +damage and +melee damage attachments instead of +accuracy. If you're trying super long range you're playing the class wrong, IMHO. :) Play short to mid range, pulling everybody, finish with shotgun or melee, use charge to get a free shield regen when you need it or for when you've thrown something and you absolutely, positively want it dead NOW. :)

The nice thing about the "poor accuracy" of the shotgun is that you get headshots without even aiming at the head. ;)

Oh, and all I carried was shotgun. The cooldown on pull was shorter than the travel time at mid range or longer. Final missions holding the pad before dustoff I would usually just sit back at the farthest cover and pull everything, let the rest of the team finish them off. It makes for really good crowd control in a situation like that where the people up front draw the fire and you don't have to worry about continually exposing yourself firing off one pull after another.

It was so much more fun to play than the human soldier I took to 20 previously. If people are playing human soldier first and not liking it much, CHANGE CLASS to anything else, you'll have more fun *and* probably move up on the scoreboard at the end of the round.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I tried that for awhile but I found myself not using the SMG at all so I just dropped it. Though you're right, in most cases the added recharge time is minimal or nonexistent.

For an Atlas you'd just warp it, cast something to detonate the warp effect (i.e. throw), and repeat. For a Guardian, stasis bubble obviously makes it drop its shield, but failing that powers like shockwave and throw will knock it back long enough to give you a few clear shots. Depends on what abilities you have access to, really, but with a 1-3 second cooldown on everything you'll be fine.

Ah, 1-3 sec cooldown? I might give the different classes a go later. But I can't stop playing the Infiltrator to level it up and get the better gear.

As an example, if you're trapped by turrets/guardians/just a lot of enemies where you're sitting, you can target someone towards the rear end of the group, charge at that enemy, then run away since you've just bypassed the entire mob.

Your cooldown times will be 2-3 seconds between charges with 1 weapon, and nova doesn't require cooldowns, so it's best to just start with a pistol and/or a shotgun. Atlas mechs can literally be nova'd and charged to death, otherwise shotgun from afar. Charge into a guardian and 1 headshot with a shotgun should kill them instantly. Shockwave is useful but I regret putting a point into it because you can max the other 4 skills if you don't, although I've noticed that enemies sometimes get glitched and you can't bring their shields/health down by shooting them, so shockwave was the only way to actually attack it.

I think that just might work. If I charge an Atlas and just run away till my powers cooldown that should work, right? Man, I might give the other classes a try later with what you guys have said. Although it will be annoying seeing it will be underleveled and whatnot.

Makes me think I should hold off till the final game hits. I mean, the stats will be wiped, right? Going to need to repeat this cycle again. :(

Mindlog

I just hit 20 with drell vanguard too, even using the least accurate shotgun I still used +damage and +melee damage attachments instead of +accuracy.
Welcome aboard.

Unrelated: It's been talked about before, but Carnifax with a scope is one of the best sniper rifles around. It's really easy to pop a lot of heads with it. Just try it. Mass Effect 1 pistols are back.

USIGSJ

Too bad we can't unlock Drell Adept, but I think that one might be a really good choice for higher difficulty like gold challenge. As far as I've seen it's the only character that has Reave which was pretty brutal in ME2 and regenerated health when used on organic targets, plus rips barriers and armor. Since health is not regenerated there after completed wave and there are lots potential targets for it, this it would be really good way to heal without using medpacks.

For an Atlas you'd just warp it, cast something to detonate the warp effect (i.e. throw), and repeat.

When you say detonate the warp effect, do you mean you warp the enemy first, and then cast throw on the same enemy while the warp effect is active?

Curious, because I've never used an Adept before (I mainly played Vanguard for SP) so I'm not too privy to how warp detonations work.

Dear ME3 MP players:

Use your god damn rockets on the Atlas. Everyone and their mothers know we can take it down with bullets but the extra credits for taking 1/10th of the time is much more worth it.

Thank you.

krakov

Since the charge will recharge your barriers you won't need to move out of harm's way. Instead you can charge into safety, only real problem comes from having no target or instakill attacks.

X-Frame

So I was head butting the Atlas with my Krogan last night doing serious damage and then it picked me up and I instantly died. The hell?

ultron87

I really hate how the missiles totally trivializes the Atlas. It really isn't a boss if it just means "someone has to go fire a missile at it". Because someone will pretty much always have a missile.

Dave1988

So I was head butting the Atlas with my Krogan last night doing serious damage and then it picked me up and I instantly died. The hell?

Some of the more powerful enemies have instakill moves (i.e. Atlas, Phantom) just so that you can't cheese them too much.

RS4-

Yeah it has an execution just like the Phantom lol.

I don't mind the Atlas, the problem is when everyone is so focused on him it leaves engineers to set up turrets right next to your party and phantoms to ninja you :(

Miggytronz

I really hate how the missiles totally trivializes the Atlas. It really isn't a boss if it just means "someone has to go fire a missile at it". Because someone will pretty much always have a missile.

me and my friends usually try to save the missiles for the Extraction Stage.

The game rocks. Last man standing on silver or gold with a level 20 infiltrator and saving all your crew mates is incredible awesome. :D

Phantom is badass... avoid it as much as you can and try to kill from far away. :D

X-Frame

Some of the more powerful enemies have instakill moves (i.e. Atlas, Phantom) just so that you can't cheese them too much.

I've done and killed Atlas' many times but that never happened. What prompts their execution moves? Any specific? Like being next to them during a certain animation or something so I'd know what to avoid ..

Tried getting some multiplayer going with a friend of mine but apparently there's no way to go from a party of two to get two more randoms into your group? We waited in the lobby but didn't get any pubs. This is the only significant dent in an otherwise fantastic game mode, am I missing something or is there really no way to combine friends with public slots? Couldn't even clear wave 6 on bronze with just the two of us, shit ramped up hard and neither of us are really high level yet.

Ah, 1-3 sec cooldown? I might give the different classes a go later. But I can't stop playing the Infiltrator to level it up and get the better gear.

I think that just might work. If I charge an Atlas and just run away till my powers cooldown that should work, right? Man, I might give the other classes a try later with what you guys have said. Although it will be annoying seeing it will be underleveled and whatnot.

Makes me think I should hold off till the final game hits. I mean, the stats will be wiped, right? Going to need to repeat this cycle again. :(

Or just play the goddamn demo and try!;)

Btw, carrying one weapon is enough as adept or vanguard. I'd stick with the pistol for adept as it's a medium range class. It's very acurate with a scope.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rockets become more important on silver and gold where you can end up facing over the course of a match more atlas mechs than your team has rockets.

Tried the krogan with the revenant, and switched straight to shotgun. Is the revenant useful at all? Stupidly heavy and inaccurate.

RS4-

I hate the revenant. Feels like it's just an close quarter AR; can't hit anything midrange, even with single fire

I've done and killed Atlas' many times but that never happened. What prompts their execution moves? Any specific? Like being next to them during a certain animation or something so I'd know what to avoid ..

I've gotten killed by this once. I think it's the rarely-seen sweeping move it does with its arm, but it lifts you into the air and (IIRC) slams you into the ground.

gg, no re, keke

Zabka

I just hit 20 with drell vanguard too, even using the least accurate shotgun I still used +damage and +melee damage attachments instead of +accuracy. If you're trying super long range you're playing the class wrong, IMHO. :) Play short to mid range, pulling everybody, finish with shotgun or melee, use charge to get a free shield regen when you need it or for when you've thrown something and you absolutely, positively want it dead NOW. :)

The nice thing about the "poor accuracy" of the shotgun is that you get headshots without even aiming at the head. ;)

Oh, and all I carried was shotgun. The cooldown on pull was shorter than the travel time at mid range or longer. Final missions holding the pad before dustoff I would usually just sit back at the farthest cover and pull everything, let the rest of the team finish them off. It makes for really good crowd control in a situation like that where the people up front draw the fire and you don't have to worry about continually exposing yourself firing off one pull after another.

It was so much more fun to play than the human soldier I took to 20 previously. If people are playing human soldier first and not liking it much, CHANGE CLASS to anything else, you'll have more fun *and* probably move up on the scoreboard at the end of the round.
Smart Choke V is the best reason to dump the pistol and it makes your shotgun look swank. Since we don't have Nova I stick to mid range and use extra splash pull and extra splash/shrapnel cluster grenades to make a glorious mess of things. Charge is saved for when my shield drops or finishing off small groups of enemies.

krakov

I've gotten killed by this once. I think it's the rarely-seen sweeping move it does with its arm, but it lifts you into the air and (IIRC) slams you into the ground.

gg, no re, keke

I've been killed by that attack at least 10 times at this point and have yet not figured out a way to anticipate it. As far as I can tell it's instant and will interrupt any animation. It can take you right out of charge/nove.

Anyone else notice the "Exit Atlas" button in the controls? Wonder what the chances are of us jumping into an Atlas during Multiplayer?

RS4-

I hope they fix the stick to wall/revive thing because it's pretty annoying.

Stasis bubble is too free. Makes things way too easy lol

exYle

gg, no re, keke

It breaks your spine, I think. There's a pretty sickening crunch and twist.

Croc

Banned
I'm curious about how the full release multiplayer will differ from the demo's. Do we know what other enemy types there will be? I'm hoping that different enemy types will create drastically different gameplay, like taking down a Reaper or something. That would drastically elongate the time spent with MP.

And on a similar note, do we know if anymore races will be available? I think it'd be cool to play as a Geth or (don't click if you don't want ME3 spoilers)
a Prothean
. And on the character select screen they seem to have left enough room for one more character so that at least seems plausible.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
I finished leveling up my engineer, but was saddened I picked the wrong upgrade for my drone.....previously when i cast it, it would appear behind enemies and get thier attention....now it pops back and moves away from enemies hitting them with the missile....ugh, now I have nothing against shield enemies. So, I am waiting until i can unlock FEM engineer.....ill try another class in the meantime.

So I stumbled into Vanguard, since none of my friends picked it yet, tried Charge, nova and warp. Kept dying, using warp wrong, "Charge" into frontlines haha yeah if i want death! We were doing silver at the time....then i noticed at the upgrade screen it replensihes shield....So i had an idea, equip only a hangun, increase everything power related, and have +200 power recharge rate, I spammed the whole thing the entire session....apparently, this pissed off one of my buddies and said it was so broken, he's not getting the game anymore becuase of this mechanic....i was sad ofc to lose a viable member for co-op, funny thing is I didnt want to play as this class, im more engineer.....argh.

Is this really a broken mechanic?

I'm curious about how the full release multiplayer will differ from the demo's. Do we know what other enemy types there will be? I'm hoping that different enemy types will create drastically different gameplay, like taking down a Reaper or something. That would drastically elongate the time spent with MP.

And on a similar note, do we know if anymore races will be available? I think it'd be cool to play as a Geth or (don't click if you don't want ME3 spoilers)
a Prothean
. And on the character select screen they seem to have left enough room for one more character so that at least seems plausible.

Husks and other warped mutants too.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
Tried getting some multiplayer going with a friend of mine but apparently there's no way to go from a party of two to get two more randoms into your group? We waited in the lobby but didn't get any pubs. This is the only significant dent in an otherwise fantastic game mode, am I missing something or is there really no way to combine friends with public slots? Couldn't even clear wave 6 on bronze with just the two of us, shit ramped up hard and neither of us are really high level yet.

try this, create a game, send friend an invite, tell him not to join yet, now you join someone elses game, if theres a spot, msg your friend and tell him to join now. He can even join mid-game if the game has already started. We send invites to all our friends who play ME3 demo, so if were in the midle of a session they can join in any time. Kinda cool the invites dont expire immediately or at all lol.

GSR

a Prothean

If I'm not mistaken they've also confirmed Husks/Reaper enemies and Geth as enemy factions in the full version. I don't know about more races though; it wouldn't surprise me if they were DLC down the line, though I'm not sure how much of a market there is to play as a Batarian or Vorcha.

ProXimity

Banned

As an engineer, I've used Combat Drone to draw fire when I'm on less than a bar of health. It usually distracts them for long enough to get away. But it's not as effective in situations where there are a LOT of enemies or they have you surrounded.

is it me or is tech armor almost worthless?

in ME2 techarmor maxed you got effectively +125% shields (+75% then another 50% on shields destroyed) with no downside to having armor on

in ME3, looks like it maxes out at 40% damage resistance with the right upgrades (sacrifing the recharge boost)

OK, by itself not as good as ME2 in total but not bad,

BUT

There is a penalty to power recharge time of 80% of having the armor on! That just seems way too high a price to me, for just 40% damage protection.

Alternatively, you can have 10% less damage protection for 30% power recharge times bonus (effective 50% power recharge penalty).

That doesnt seem like a good tradeoff to me. The damage boost ability of +20% damage seems pointless if you have an 80% or 50% recharge speed penalty as you reduce your damage output with armor on.

You do get the benefit of damage resistance but I would think a sentinel would always want to be using powers as often as possible, given that classes like soldier have more weapon appropriate abilities when using guns.

Am I missing something here?

moop1167

Tried to play two separate games last night before giving up. It was my first attempt at trying the multiplayer but as soon as I got in a lobby I could hear these clowns bitching about low levels and shit and they would just drop. Sorry I have a life outside video games and can't play as much as you. Some guy was like level 83.

ultron87

Tried to play two separate games last night before giving up. It was my first attempt at trying the multiplayer but as soon as I got in a lobby I could hear these clowns bitching about low levels and shit and they would just drop. Sorry I have a life outside video games and can't play as much as you. Some guy was like level 83.

I would set your search for only Bronze level challenge. In harder difficulties a low-level person can be a real liability.

Top Bottom