• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

Loudninja

Expanding The House: Naughty Dog's Second Team
“The idea has always been to create two fully independent teams so that they can operate independently of one other and nobody has to be flopping back and forth from week to week or servicing two different games,” explains Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells. This way, the teams could focus all of their energy into individual projects. But before it could expand, Naughty Dog needed additional resources, and that’s where publisher and parent company Sony comes in.

Following the glowing reception of Uncharted 2’s polished gameplay, Sony experimented with the idea of licensing out the game’s engine to other developers. “We were getting lots of requests from both internal and external studios saying, ‘Can we license the tech? We’d love to make a game using that engine,’” says Wells. “But it just isn’t set up to be able to be worked on outside of our office.”

The inability to license out the engine due to Naughty Dog’s network infrastructure actually ended up working out to the developer’s advantage. Because only Naughty Dog was set up to work with the Uncharted engine, the only way to produce more games utilizing it would be to add on a new team.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...g-the-house-naughty-dog-39-s-second-team.aspx

Ricky_R

^^^ Nice read.

What makes it even more interesting is that it looks so dark. Eyebrows were raised when Naughty Dog left behind the bright cartoon style of Crash and Jak in favour of Uncharted’s grittier realism. Compared to The Last Of Us, Uncharted is a smiley face of rainbows and sunshine. This is no treasure-hunting, laugh-packed riot: it’s a story of survival on a ruined Earth, a post-apocalyptic drama of a civilisation torn apart by disease. And it’s all Sir David Attenborough’s fault.

Sounds great.

Ricky_R

Your avatar fit too well with that post.

haha you're right.

I have a feeling the other team is not making Uncharted 4...

we'll see in a year or two

Really? Do you think Sony would prefer for them to make a new IP instead of a new Uncharted for next gen considering they are already working on a new one? I just think that in this particular moment, Sony would benefit much more from Uncharted 4 as a PS4 launch game than another new IP.

We know ND are reading this thread. We want an easter egg.

d86e15fe6d870d2fe7f921512bb345ad2845e80f.png

LOL

StuBurns

Banned
Despite the director not knowing what New Game + is, they basically confirm it will be in the game, which is awesome.

GorillaJu

Also machine gun. So much for a survival experience, on second playthrough.

This is a good thing, like the rocket launcher in Resident Evil. If your first playthrough is tense and difficult (as a survival game should be), it's nice to have some fun with the world and be invincible on a second run through,

Loudninja

Bruce Straley describe the game as a third person shooter, stealth, problem solving, adventure,survival game.

Sounds like lost of enemy variety.

Endo Punk

^^^ haha!

That's the metal gear way though. First playthru, super stealth to get the bandana, second playthru a famas driven massacre.

I wouldn't know, I can't bring myself to massacre in an MGS game :p

In the podcast the guys mentioned moment to moment stealth. I so hope this isn't Uncharted type game with different characters. Would be stupid for ND to pull another Uncharted experience when they already have Uncharted for that.

EDIT:

New pics look insane! Guess my previous fear of the game looking similar to Uncharted has been put to rest, definitley has its own unique grimey look.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm fine with it being very similar to Uncharted, if it corrects the things I don't like about Uncharted, and based on their comments, that's exactly what they're doing.

Loudninja

^^^ haha!

I wouldn't know, I can't bring myself to massacre in an MGS game :p

In the podcast the guys mentioned moment to moment stealth. I so hope this isn't Uncharted type game with different characters. Would be stupid for ND to pull another Uncharted experience when they already have Uncharted for that.
Didnt we already go though this?

Top Bottom