• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Watched Whiplash today for the first time since it was in the cinemas and it is as tense as it was back then. Great performance by Simmons, Teller was great, too.

Also watched To the Bone. It's okay. Keanu Reeves as doctor is such a dumb casting choice.

The Mummy did.
tumblr_nnb2mwevq01qieaoio3_250.gif

I know living in NYC I get railroaded, but I am curious about how much do you folks pay for movie tickets and premium format if don't mind me asking.

Suburban Chicago is about 11 for regular ticket and 16 for fake IMAX. There's IMAX with Laser at Navy Pier, and I know that's over $20, but not how much over.

Anth0ny

I know living in NYC I get railroaded, but I am curious about how much do you folks pay for movie tickets and premium format if don't mind me asking.

In Toronto:

General Admission 2D: $13.25
Ultra AVX (Reserved Seating): $16.25
IMAX (Reserved Seating): $20.25

I almost always watch in Ultra AVX because there's more leg room for them than there is for Imax.

Bizazedo

Saw Atomic Blonde today, finally. It was better than Wonder Woman. One of the better movies of the summer, honestly.

Admittedly, haven't been super impressed with the movies this summer.

Wolf Warrior 2 is now sitting somewhere near $655M in China. If it didn't pass Jurassic World's domestic gross on Saturday, it will tomorrow. The film started slowing down 3 days back, but should still hit close to $680M by the end of the weekend.

$700M will happen by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Spider-Man Homecoming might break $700M this weekend. If not, it will be extremely close.

Crazy.

In Toronto:

General Admission 2D: $13.25
Ultra AVX (Reserved Seating): $16.25
IMAX (Reserved Seating): $20.25

I almost always watch in Ultra AVX because there's more leg room for them than there is for Imax.

Is the scotiabank theatre mega escalator still out? Both directions last time I heard, elevator was the only option. That's kept me away from the place and not sure if they got that fixed yet.

gatti-man

I want gunslinger to make money so they make a sequel but the movie was so bad it really doesn't deserve to make a dime. As someone who has read the books the movie is totally offensive. My gf who hasn't read the books thought the movie was fine. I just can't help but feel like the movie was the absolute worst take possible on the gunslinger series. A complete bastardization of source material.

Caode

Ireland:

€5.50

That's for 2D or 3D, in the largest and most comfortable seating I've ever experienced in a cinema.

No premium format nearby, can't speak to that.

CobbFC09

MoviePass. Standard prices at the Regal in Atlanta I frequent are $12-15 for the standard viewing. I've never cared for 3D and will gladly paid the price of admission for Dunkirk in IMAX 70mm or any other good movies that are filmed primarily with IMAX cameras. I've been seeing 3-4 movies a week, but that's partly because it's only a 5 minute walk.

Penguin

Ireland:

€5.50

That's for 2D or 3D, in the largest and most comfortable seating I've ever experienced in a cinema.

No premium format nearby, can't speak to that.

Feel like I should move to Ireland!

Glad to see LA gets boned like us, but yeah... sigh

Maybe I'll look into MoviePass, but don't think Alamo accepts it yet

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Logan Lucky has 100% on RT thus far.

And with a decent amount of reviews in too. Not bad for a supposed first time screen writer.

I might watch it on a matinee. Trailers did nothing for me.

wachie

Spider-Man Homecoming might break $700M this weekend. If not, it will be extremely close.

Japan opened this weekend. It looks like it will make around $25M there. ASM2 did $30M, but the Yen was stronger in 2014.

If China is good for $100M, we're probably looking at a finish in the $850M range for Spider-Man Homecoming.
ASM & ASM2 both cracked 700M as well. And those films were turrible too.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Annabelle Creation - $35.0M
2) Dunkirk - $11.4M - $154M total
3) The Nut Job 2 - $8.9M
4) The Dark Tower - $7.9M - $34M total
5) Girls Trip - $6.5M - $97M total
6) The Emoji Movie - $6.6M - $64M total
7) Spider-Man Homecoming - $6.1M - $306M total
8) Kidnap - $5.2M - $19M total
9) The Glass Castle - $4.9M
10) Atomic Blonde - $4.6M - $43M total

kswiston

Still strange to me how horror movies are such safe bets.

Next week, The Conjuring series (including both Annabelle films) becomes the first horror franchise to break $1B worldwide. Annabelle 2 opened to about $70M worldwide, bringing the franchise total to a bit under $970M.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Suburban Chicago is about 11 for regular ticket and 16 for fake IMAX. There's IMAX with Laser at Navy Pier, and I know that's over $20, but not how much over.

Depends.

AMC theaters are typically the 10 bucks a pop.

But Cinemark typically are 7-8 full priced, and less than 5 most of the time.

Same is for Imax though.

gamz

Horror movies still the best dollar-for-dollar investment around.

For a filmmaker trying to break in the Biz it's also the cheapest and most creative. You can basically make any situation a horror film.

It's not driven by special effects or name actors.

The guy who made this movie broke in the Biz on a 2 minute simple YouTube short.

Penguin

Weekend Studio Estimates

3) The Nut Job 2 - $8.9M

Is the Wonder done?

:(

(I know it's still around but won't be one of the first we get reported)

DMczaf

Weekend Studio Estimates

3) The Nut Job 2 - $8.9M

$200M dream is on life support :(

Still strange to me how horror movies are such safe bets.

Horror can be done incredibly well for super cheap,
it can easily work in both quality or camp/cheese
it has a relatively wide enough appeal.

And seems like the average person just enjoys a horror movie every now and then.

I know I do and I don't actually get scared or anything, its just fun.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wonder Woman is the biggest success of 2017, considering the uphill battle it had to climb.

Top Bottom