• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

philm87

I say try to get some screenshots and post it here and see if some the people in this thread can give their input. If not I can try to get some screenshots up later.

:) Look forward to trying the Dishonoured 2 trial. I'm liking this new approach of trial's being offered. Also got Watchdogs 2 and Titanfall 2 to try out.

ultrazilla

I'm a proud new owner of a PS4 Pro and 4K tv with HDR support! Yes! :)

Getting my old account transferred via lan cable to my Pro unit was quick and easy. About an hour for roughly 350 gig in data.

Started up a new SP campaign in Titanfall 2 and wow, I was blown away by just how good everything looks and feels! What a perfect excuse to play through one of the best SP campaigns since Half Life 2 and now in 4K!!!

I also have Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. I don't get all the hate with this entry. It's a rock solid, great playing, awesome SP campaign and I'm now playing through that campaign again in 4K with my Pro.

Bought Ratchet and Clank for $20 off the PSN shop as I had heard the patched in 4K support was pretty special. Man, they weren't kidding, this game looks absolutely stunning in 4K. Everything is so colorful, vibrant and crystal clear and the game plays like a dream. No doubt in my mind that after playing it, video games have finally gotten to the point that they look like a Pixar movie. It's the highest praise I can heap on the game.

I also jumped in and bought Mass Effect: Andromeda yesterday(day of the first significant patch) and it's another stunning looking game in 4K. Can't comment too much on it as I only played a few minutes of it but was very happy with how it was playing and how it looked.

I'm a big fan of the Youtube app on the Pro as it has a dedicated "4K" section for videos so if you want to demo the Pro and the 4K streaming it can do, pull up the Pro's Youtube app and type in "4K" or "UHD" for some jaw dropping videos.

I'm also a Netflix member and pay for the Ultra HD streaming option(4K) and using it with the Pro has been great so far as well.

Now the latest I've read is that apparently the PS4 Pro's media player was updated so allow 4k content playback via usb storage devices? Is that true? If so, what usb sticks are compatible with the 4k media playback and more importantly, what does the PS4 Pro media center support in terms of specific 4K playback programming? In other words, do I need the 4K content in a specific video format like VLC or MKV on the stick to play back the 4K content? Thank you for any help on that!

Any other tips, tricks or "hidden features" on the PS4 Pro other owners can share would be appreciated! I love mine! I'm bummed it doesn't have a 4k drive but am hopeful Sony will release a 4K/UHD add-on player for the Pro(an E3 announcement/show off would be most welcome) otherwise I guess I'm getting a proper 4K blu ray player. I won't jump at an Xbox One S as Scorpio is just around the corner. I'd rather wait for that this fall.

Cheers!

Tethered the previously VR only game now is playable in non VR and supports 4K/60 on the Pro apparently

http://www.secretsorcery.com/tethered-gets-major-update/#more-1061

PlayStation®4 Pro players can now experience the non-VR version of the game in an absolutely dazzling 4k native resolution at 60hz – it looks incredible and plays silky smooth, so lots of juicy bits for Pro owners to get excited about

Honestly if you wanted this game but didn't want to fork out for VR then get it, it's awesome!

Footos22

Getting my old account transferred via lan cable to my Pro unit was quick and easy. About an hour for roughly 350 gig in data.

Started up a new SP campaign in Titanfall 2 and wow, I was blown away by just how good everything looks and feels! What a perfect excuse to play through one of the best SP campaigns since Half Life 2 and now in 4K!!!

I also have Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. I don't get all the hate with this entry. It's a rock solid, great playing, awesome SP campaign and I'm now playing through that campaign again in 4K with my Pro.

Bought Ratchet and Clank for $20 off the PSN shop as I had heard the patched in 4K support was pretty special. Man, they weren't kidding, this game looks absolutely stunning in 4K. Everything is so colorful, vibrant and crystal clear and the game plays like a dream. No doubt in my mind that after playing it, video games have finally gotten to the point that they look like a Pixar movie. It's the highest praise I can heap on the game.

I also jumped in and bought Mass Effect: Andromeda yesterday(day of the first significant patch) and it's another stunning looking game in 4K. Can't comment too much on it as I only played a few minutes of it but was very happy with how it was playing and how it looked.

I'm a big fan of the Youtube app on the Pro as it has a dedicated "4K" section for videos so if you want to demo the Pro and the 4K streaming it can do, pull up the Pro's Youtube app and type in "4K" or "UHD" for some jaw dropping videos.

I'm also a Netflix member and pay for the Ultra HD streaming option(4K) and using it with the Pro has been great so far as well.

Now the latest I've read is that apparently the PS4 Pro's media player was updated so allow 4k content playback via usb storage devices? Is that true? If so, what usb sticks are compatible with the 4k media playback and more importantly, what does the PS4 Pro media center support in terms of specific 4K playback programming? In other words, do I need the 4K content in a specific video format like VLC or MKV on the stick to play back the 4K content? Thank you for any help on that!

Any other tips, tricks or "hidden features" on the PS4 Pro other owners can share would be appreciated! I love mine! I'm bummed it doesn't have a 4k drive but am hopeful Sony will release a 4K/UHD add-on player for the Pro(an E3 announcement/show off would be most welcome) otherwise I guess I'm getting a proper 4K blu ray player. I won't jump at an Xbox One S as Scorpio is just around the corner. I'd rather wait for that this fall.

Cheers!

PS4 pro Netflix app do not yet support HDR, you are better off watching the App through your tv.

Oneself

Some more Pro boost tests:

Red Goddess: less hiccups (due to faster loadingvmaybe?), much less tearing and mostly hitting its 60fps target.

Kholat: smoother overall, framerate still goes all over the place (from 30 to 60) but it's definitely smoother now. Some parts that ran at 45-50 on PS4 now are 60fps.

Virginia: originally hovering around 25fps, now runs at a smooth 30fps (even the "outside" area where it previously dropped stays rock solid).

philm87

The Infamous games look incredible on the Pro, kinda wish I could wipe my memory of playing through Second Son twice so I was motivated to play it again. Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the best looking console game I've seen, it's not just the incredible environments, it's the machines ans the sparks etc., blows you away.

The Infamous games look incredible on the Pro, kinda wish I could wipe my memory of playing through Second Son twice so I was motivated to play it again.
I absolutely agree. Infamous already looked amazing on the regular PS4, and on the Pro it's seriously into bullshot territory. The city feels kind of lifeless, but the graphics, animation, controls, and combat more than make up for it: it's just a joy to play. It was my favourite game on the PS4 until the Witcher 3 came out, and is still right up there.

ultrazilla

I absolutely agree. Infamous already looked amazing on the regular PS4, and on the Pro it's seriously into bullshot territory. The city feels kind of lifeless, but the graphics, animation, controls, and combat more than make up for it: it's just a joy to play. It was my favourite game on the PS4 until the Witcher 3 came out, and is still right up there.

Ok you guys have convinced me to re-buy Infamous! :) I played it waaaay back when it first came out and it was amazing looking then. I can imagine now! Thanks!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
New Pro owner here. I can confirm that Rory McIlroy Golf runs smoother and textures load much faster with Boost mode. I believe it is a Frostbite game so it makes sense I guess.

Peterc

Is there a game that plays in 4k native on ps4pro. I'm confused a bit with 4k Upscaling and scenes rendered in 4k. I just wonder if there is a game that you can play in real 4k resolution with good framerate?

Is there a game that plays in 4k native on ps4pro. I'm confused a bit with 4k Upscaling and scenes rendered in 4k. I just wonder if there is a game that you can play in real 4k resolution with good framerate?

NBA 2k17 or The Witness come to mind if you have them...

Koralsky

For native 4K titles, you can look at sports games (FIFA2017, NBA2K17, Pro Evolution Soccer 17), remasters (TLOU, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection).

For AAA titles you can check Division, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3. The last two are dynamic 4K though.

Rez Infinite is also native 4K at 6FPS, the same goes to Hustle Kings.

AC Syndicate isn't native 4K but it's like 1800p or something and it looks pretty good in 4K.

I personally cannot wait for Wipeout, I feel like it's gonna be the #2 game to show off the TV after Horizon. And as long as they don't fuck anything up porting, easily best racing game on PS4!

Peterc

For native 4K titles, you can look at sports games (FIFA2017, NBA2K17, Pro Evolution Soccer 17), remasters (TLOU, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection).

For AAA titles you can check Division, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3. The last two are dynamic 4K though.

Rez Infinite is also native 4K at 6FPS, the same goes to Hustle Kings.

Check some of those titles:
Division, only the interface is in 4k.
Middle earth is upscaled to 4k

Is there an AAA games that really can play 4k native with good framerate?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

'technically' Horizon renders at native 4K too. checker boarding is filling up the pixels with an algorithm but you're getting the full phat native 4K frame buffer, you're not getting upscaled from a lower resolution.

Peterc

'technically' Horizon renders at native 4K too. checker boarding is filling up the pixels with an algorithm but you're getting the full phat native 4K frame buffer, you're not getting upscaled from a lower resolution.

That doesn't sound bad, wonder why they wouldn't do this for all games. Horizon looks like a heavy game so it would be possible for other games to.
Still it only render between 28fps – 30fps in 4K

Check some of those titles:
Division, only the interface is in 4k.

The Division got another patch saying the game runs at 4k now, not just the interface, although it is probably checkerboarding.

Middle Earth uses dynamic resolution upto native 4k, not upscaling but does hit native 4k quite a lot of the time too

Digital Foundy said:

a dynamic resolution scaler is in play, seamlessly adjusting resolution from 80 per cent of native to full 2160p. However, based on our pixel counts, this title is spending the vast majority of its duration at full 4K

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That doesn't sound bad, wonder why they wouldn't do this for all games. Horizon looks like a heavy game so it would be possible for other games to.

Checker boarding is still not 'free'. It requires resources, not as much as rendering at native resolution though but still .. it depends on resource allotment, the engine etc.

Here's a very good presentation from Frostbite:

http://www.frostbite.com/2017/03/4k-checkerboard-in-battlefield-1-and-mass-effect-andromeda/

They go over how they got Checker boarding to work with Battlefield and ME: Andromeda and how they tested both native 1800p and CB 1800p and why they chose CB instead (tl;dr the differences were negligible and they saved time in the rendering pipeline to put into other effects).

Thanks to everyone for the contributions above! Sorry I haven't updated in a bit, my GAF time has been used in the Project Scorpio discussions. I'll be adding to this thread tonight.

Shadow of Mordor does not really upscale, I'm not sure where you got that info. Technically it's dynamic resolution, so can range below full 4K. But in practice it almost never does.

Yes, several. That's what the lists at the beginning of this thread are for. Just look for games with a mode that lists resolution as 2160p; those are native 4K. Most of them have very solid framerates (I think it's still the case that more are 60fps than 30fps).

No, Horizon has rare drops in high resolution mode, but it stays at 30fps the vast majority of the time.

If you find Horizon's rendering solution acceptable, you can also check out titles listed as "2160" with other suffixes. This will expand your possibilities; almost half of Pro games reach 4K if you include reconstruction methods.

The Division got another patch saying the game runs at 4k now, not just the interface, although it is probably checkerboarding.
The Division isn't full 4K, its target resolution appears to be about 2950x1660. It doesn't get there using standard CBR, but it does use some other form of reconstruction.

P4NCH0theD0G

Neo Member
Thanks for the update. I looked into this game, and what you're seeing (and posted) doesn't make much sense. From checking footage of the standard PS4 version, there really isn't much tearing...but there's tons in your Pro capture. That doesn't make sense given the power of the machines, the usual removal of tearing Pro accomplishes, and the developer's statement that framerate is "at least 25%" better.

I think what might be going on is that Aragami is unlocked on Pro. Though unstable, it's pretty close to its 30fps cap on standard, so a 25% increase at least could be pushing above the cap. But it's probably not enough to ever get to 60fps, so the game would tear more. This is the only scenario I can envision, though I couldn't find any 60fps videos from the Pro-patched version of the game. But my idea seems possibly supported by the fact that in your (30fps) video, every frame tears for some extended periods.

Sorry, my bad. I had uploaded some captures of the REGULAR version and only now got around to the PRO.

Regular version capture is here: https://youtu.be/lGvLtQxOj1o

Pro version capture is here: https://youtu.be/ZFo-sAo6pxQ

Pro version has the same camera issues in close spaces (so that is not included), but it shows similar performance issues as on the regular PS4 in the same spots, specifically the autosave stutter, screen tearing w/out Vsync and stutter (or maybe frame pacing) looking at that one panorama.
In the regular version, Vsync eliminates screen tearing, but frame rates suffer.

El_Chino

Thanks to everyone for the contributions above! Sorry I haven't updated in a bit, my GAF time has been used in the Project Scorpio discussions. I'll be adding to this thread tonight.

Shadow of Mordor does not really upscale, I'm not sure where you got that info. Technically it's dynamic resolution, so can range below full 4K. But in practice it almost never does.

Yes, several. That's what the lists at the beginning of this thread are for. Just look for games with a mode that lists resolution as 2160p; those are native 4K. Most of them have very solid framerates (I think it's still the case that more are 60fps than 30fps).

No, Horizon has rare drops in high resolution mode, but it stays at 30fps the vast majority of the time.

If you find Horizon's rendering solution acceptable, you can also check out titles listed as "2160" with other suffixes. This will expand your possibilities; almost half of Pro games reach 4K if you include reconstruction methods.

The Division isn't full 4K, its target resolution appears to be about 2950x1660. It doesn't get there using standard CBR, but it does use some other form of reconstruction.
Where did you get this Division info from?

Sorry, my bad. I had uploaded some captures of the REGULAR version and only now got around to the PRO.

...Pro version has the same camera issues in close spaces (so that is not included), but it shows similar performance issues as on the regular PS4 in the same spots, specifically the autosave stutter, screen tearing w/out Vsync and stutter (or maybe frame pacing) looking at that one panorama.
In the regular version, Vsync eliminates screen tearing, but frame rates suffer.
Thanks for the update! What you've posted is consistent with my previous guess. That is, I suspect Aragami runs between 25-40fps on PS4, so it tears constantly with double-buffer v-sync off. With it on, there are repeated drops when dipping below 30fps.

PS4 Pro, on the other hand, seems to run the game over 30fps almost all the time, but never hitting 60fps. This also causes constant tearing, but it's not quite as noticeable because it tends to be near the bottom (frame nearly completed in time), rather than right in the middle of the view. When v-sync is turned on, it becomes solid 30fps a lot more often than standard...but still drops to v-synced 20fps in that panorama, where it just can't maintain 30 (and maybe elsewhere too).

I'll look into it some more, but that's what I'll likely end up posting. Again, your input is very helpful!

Where did you get this Division info from?
It's from my own analysis. I may be mistaken about the base resolution from which reconstruction is done, and I'm not sure exactly what method is being used. But I can say with complete confidence that The Division is not native 4K.

I've now added a bunch of Boost Mode games, a new VR game, and several games with official support. Some points of interest:

The Bulletstorm remaster has been claimed to be 4K, but I haven't been able to track down any screenshots to analyze if it's truly native. So take that with a grain of salt, but People Can Fly are a pretty talented developer so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. If anyone can post 4K shots, that'd be great.

I'm not certain what to do with LEGO City Undercover. From checking extensive footage, I couldn't find any changes to resolution or effects between standard and Pro: no AA, AF, AO, shadow, reflection, DOF, lighting, motion blur, or texture differences. But it very obviously does have an improved framerate on Pro, smoothing out the occasional drops of the standard game. So is this just very underwhelming official support (i.e. a Pro mode that does very little), or is it complete lack of support, and Boost Mode improving the framerate?

For the same situation in the recent Styx sequel, I felt confident putting it in the Boost Mode list, because the developer explicitly stated they had not added Pro support. But I can't find any such statement for Undercover. I guess in the end it doesn't much matter--the game is what it is, regardless of how it got there--but not knowing for sure irks me. I've put it under Boost Mode for now.

Thanks again for the impressions, links, and video from everyone. Please keep contributing whatever you can! I rely on external input to keep up with releases, and correct any errors I might make. Much appreciated!

kiri

Hello all!

I have a launch PS4 and considering PS4 Pro however I'm just wondering about the chances of a Pro redesign later in the year?

shanafan

Hello all!

I have a launch PS4 and considering PS4 Pro however I'm just wondering about the chances of a Pro redesign later in the year?

A redesign in the first year? Highly unlikely imo. Maybe a new color like white, but no way a redesign.

Planet

A "redesign" is the wrong term, but a new revision is quite likely. Like the launch PS4 hat 3 revisions before the Slim (CUH-1000, CUH-1100 and CUH-1200), basically one every year. Same pattern applied to the PS3 before that.

That would very probably mean minor changes, possibly close to unnoticable in usage.

LordKasual

Banned
PS4 Pro has taught me that I 150% do prefer a slightly unstable 40-60 FPS than I do a locked 30. FFXV feels infinitely better on Ps4 Pro lite. Like, there is no comparison.

Carn82

Mmm, maybe hold off until the Summer. What big releases are due now post Horizon?

I'm actually waiting as well. Still have a backlog on my OG PS4; planning on picking up a Pro in september or something. I'm hoping for either a 'Slim' or at least some good bundles. Probably with Destiny 2 tho, hehe.
By that time some games like Horizon, but also Mass Effect:Andromeda will probably be a bunch cheaper as well.

philm87

Cheaper and slimmer than the Scorpio with only a slight downgrade? Scorpio isn't that HUGE a jump in power, is it?

Think it will be a noticeable difference, but then it should be as it's coming out a year after the Pro and will likely be much more expensive. Might not see too much more impressive than Horizon Dawn other than a frame rate increase, but not all developers are as talented at optimizing their games, so it could help others quite a bit. They're plugging VR a lot, the extra power could give it a big advantage over the PSVR.

Still, the Pro and Scorpio are both going to be great value compared to the cost of a 4k gaming PC.

Chabbles

So im trying to figure out whether or not Dead Island benefits from boost mode, In the OP (below) is mentions Dead Island, but no specifics. What does this mean ? Boost added ?

"3/10 - Made changes based on my own research, and posts through #1076. Added (Boost) 7 Days to Die, Carmageddon, Dead Island Definitive, DOAX 3, DiRT Rally, Dynasty Warriors 8, Far Cry 4, Ginger, God of War 3, I Am Bread, Mekazoo, Shadow of the Beast, SAO Hollow Fragment, Super Robot Wars V, Tales of Berseria, The Tomorrow Children, Tony Hawk 5, UFC 2, WRC 6, WWE 2K17"

bubumiao

So im trying to figure out whether or not Dead Island benefits from boost mode, In the OP (below) is mentions Dead Island, but no specifics. What does this mean ? Boost added ?

"3/10 - Made changes based on my own research, and posts through #1076. Added (Boost) 7 Days to Die, Carmageddon, Dead Island Definitive, DOAX 3, DiRT Rally, Dynasty Warriors 8, Far Cry 4, Ginger, God of War 3, I Am Bread, Mekazoo, Shadow of the Beast, SAO Hollow Fragment, Super Robot Wars V, Tales of Berseria, The Tomorrow Children, Tony Hawk 5, UFC 2, WRC 6, WWE 2K17"

I'm guessing just some type of loading boost? More stable frame rate maybe?

Chabbles

I'm guessing just some type of loading boost? More stable frame rate maybe?

It aint a more stable framerate, thats for sure. I think it messes it up, off feels alot smoother. Its the same issue i had in "Kona" with boost mode on, panning the camera feels all stuttery.

Top Bottom