• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dave Chappelle on escaping fame, returning to stand-up with Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great interview

I don't know many stars that hit their pinnacle and then walk away from 50 million ... Then turned around and got a 60 mill deal. Good on him and I'm glad he get to live his life the way he wants.

Great interview

I don't know many stars that hit their pinnacle and then walk away from 50 million ... Thanksbut he turned around and got a 60 mill deal. Good on him and I'm glad he get to live his life the way he wants.

yeah, turns out walking away is the best thing he could have done for his career.

He gets the luxury of not compromising his creative vision or personal preferences, and his fanbase is flat out desperate for as much chappelle as they can get.

i've seen him at least 3 times live with tickets at "highway robbery" pricing. I've never done that for any other comedian, ever.

Amon37

Good interview, he still does seem a little more "out there" with this talk of reconciling paradoxes and stuff. Can't wait to watch the specials

I decided not to see the latest Bill Burr special, and I've not seen or heard him. I think him being a father now is maybe him taking a backseat after having been in the limelight for a long time. And maybe that's a good thing. Maybe old freckles got caught into a loop talking about the election and politics in a way that sort of repeated itself.

So you'd really want someone like Dave to come back and really give us that level of comedy that only the top british and american comedians can. They are the undisputed masters of stand-up!

I sincerely love Dave Chapelle, but I am not sure that the stand up has aged that well. I saw Killing the Softly last night, and there are a lot of bits I just don't find as funny. But I think that is a natural part of it comedy moving with the times. ^_^

His SNL skit is absolutely mind boggeling awesome. He really is more than the comedy I think- Sort of like Hicks, whose monologues and personality was beyond his comedy. Not that their style of comedy are the same at all. I just think what they share is that both men seem great and to have convictions beyond what you usually see.

FaintDeftone

I actually grew up 10min away from the small town in Ohio he lives in. I visit there all of the time. It's very easy to see Dave wandering around. He would even come into the Target I used to work at quite often several years ago. Good dude.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Watched this on my lunch break today. Really glad Dave seems to be happy. I was sad and worried when he left his show. Dude is my favorite living comedian, and I didn't want him to disappear.

Pretty pumped for his specials coming to Netflix.

NYR

Was hoping for new material but these two specials are from 2015 and 2016 material. Netflix basicallly paid for archive stuff.

big ander

Chappelle's just a great thinker. Love hearing him talk about why he's made the decisions he's made and what he values in life.

the key & peele complaint is silly—Chappelle didn't invent the sketch show and while K&P definitely benefited from Chappelle clearing the path, the duo has their own comedic sensibility and Chappelle has no more entitlement to "creator" of Key & Peele than Kurosawa does to Star Wars
Will there be 2 of his specials or just 1 big one?
Didn't it say there were going to be three separate specials? So I'm guessing 3 will be available tomorrow.

Two separate specials tomorrow (from Austin in April 2015 and Los Angeles in March 2016) and a third to be taped sometime this year.

Vespa

Chappelle's just a great thinker. Love hearing him talk about why he's made the decisions he's made and what he values in life.

the key & peele complaint is silly—Chappelle didn't invent the sketch show and while K&P definitely benefited from Chappelle clearing the path, the duo has their own comedic sensibility and Chappelle has no more entitlement to "creator" of Key & Peele than Kurosawa does to Star Wars

Agreed, he's really interesting to listen to even outside of his comedy. Also yeah, not sure why he wants some sort of credit for the style of format, I'm sure Key and Peele would say that he paved the way and the history books would acknowledge him as a pioneer. Seems kinda worried about his legacy.

daffy

Banned
Good interview, he still does seem a little more "out there" with this talk of reconciling paradoxes and stuff. Can't wait to watch the specials
Really? How is that out there? He's not even the first comedian to say that. Let's be honest he used two big words and it threw everything off.

He's talking about the corporate input & control of The Chappelle Show content that CC had earlier in its runtime. Clearly the long form controversial comedy sketch wasn't very prevalent before Chapelle Show. No one was really doing that. It clearly paved the way for Key & Peele making less immediate comedy sketches. So to see them sort of take ownership of that was disheartening which makes sense, although I'm sure there's no way CC would've allowed K&P to pay homage in any more obvious ways. Alot of their show was borrowed and we all know it.

bounchfx

Was hoping for new material but these two specials are from 2015 and 2016 material. Netflix basicallly paid for archive stuff.

makes sense, releasing so many at once. I don't believe I've seen any of those years material (saw him live in 2013 but that was the last I saw), so I'm ready. If it's funny it doesn't matter when it's from.

Really? How is that out there? He's not even the first comedian to say that. Let's be honest he used two big words and it threw everything off.
pretty much. whoah! uncommon words, must be a nutso

Guy is a mess.

Godbless.

uh? seems like he has his head on right and has better priorities than most people. where is the mess part? I feel like I'm missing something

Saw Chappelle 3 years ago (few months after him going off at that one show) and it was greeeeeat. Can't wait for tomorrow its gonna be hype

Sanjuro

uh? seems like he has his head on right and has better priorities than most people. where is the mess part? I feel like I'm missing something

Mess meaning he isn't what people expect him to be where he left off.

Guy is high as a fucking kite walking around white neighborhoods doing his thing. Same with his off-brand SNL episode. He is doing it.

Mess meaning he isn't what people expect him to be where he left off.

Guy is high as a fucking kite walking around white neighborhoods doing his thing. Same with his off-brand SNL episode. He is doing it.
Lmao. I think that might be his hometown. He's probably considered a hero there so the whites in the neighborhood never aggro.

Do you think he does other stuff besides weed?

Aikidoka

Looking forward to the special, too. I'm glad he didn't just hand-wave away the idea of being scrutinized for what he says and is aware that his large platform comes with some responsibility in that regards.

Sanjuro

Lmao. I think that might be his hometown. He's probably considered a hero there so the whites in the neighborhood never aggro.

Do you think he does other stuff besides weed?

He doesn't seem THAT wacky. He definitely is in another mode since coming back. Gotta be some other good shit floating in there.

Alienfan

A shame he still seems like a massive bigot in recent interviews, hopefully that won't come across in his Netflix specials.

MarveI

Such a smart and honorable man with such kindness towards everyone.
Even after becoming famous. Can't wait for his standups. Been cravin for some Dave.

I hope we'll see more of him.

Alienfan

What do you mean?

He's said a lot of questionable transphobic shit in recent years. He did an interview a few months back where he basically defended Donald's sexual assault and showed this strange resentment towards LGBT and women's rights activists. It just had me worried his comeback, he's done some really great stuff in the past.

Aikidoka

He's said a lot of questionable shit in recent years. He did an interview a few months back where he basically defended Donald's sexual assault and showed this strange resentment towards LGBT and women's rights activists. It just had me worried his comeback, he's done some really great stuff in the past.

that sucks to hear - this is really the only interview I've watched with him.

Jombie

Two separate specials tomorrow (from Austin in April 2015 and Los Angeles in March 2016) and a third to be taped sometime this year.

Key and Peele aren't chopped liver, they're extremely gifted comedians so I don't know what he was going on about there. I think he's a brilliant guy, but says some strange shit sometimes.

Bowler

He's said a lot of questionable transphobic shit in recent years. He did an interview a few months back where he basically defended Donald's sexual assault and showed this strange resentment towards LGBT and women's rights activists. It just had me worried his comeback, he's done some really great stuff in the past.
I think I remember that interview, and that shit was all satire, poking fun to rile the interviewer as most comedians do

The Key and Peele line was a bit strange, I get his point, but still.

Overall though an awesome interview and I cant wait to watch the two specials tomorrow.

Fisty

On one hand, we probably missed out on a LOT of amazing Chappelle's Show and movies.

On the other hand, we didn't have to potentially watch him go down the Eddie Murphy / Martin Lawrence / Richard Pryor path

Tough call. Will watch his special though, Mad Real World is still probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Dave should just let K&P alone. He is more talented than them and his grievance makes no sense. He paved the way and that's it... those two do not bite him and do their own thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Dave should just let K&P alone. He is more talented than them and his grievance makes no sense. He paved the way and that's it... those two do not bite him and do their own thing.

Yeah, I didn't really think what he said about them made much sense.

Other people paved the way for Dave to be able to make that show, too, but he didn't see fit to say that they created the Dave Chappelle show, it was his and his alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom